Sony Online Entertainment Services, Games Back Online, Too

• 59 results
Posted by patrickklepek (3478 posts) -

PlayStation Network was not the only Sony service affected by the recent hacker intrusion; Sony Online Entertainment's games and Station network went down for the count, too. It's now coming back up. As with PSN, the restoration of SOE's games and services is happening in staggered phases.

"Restoration of SOE's game services will begin today," said the company in a statement. "This phased restoration will include the return of nearly all of our portfolio of online games, the reinstatement of our game forums and websites, and added functionality to require players to reset their passwords."

Both Sony and SOE are rolling out a "Welcome Back" program to earn goodwill from the community. While Sony remains mum about what PlayStation 3 and PSP players will gain access to, in addition to a free 30 days of service on top outage time, SOE has outlined the rather long list of in-game rewards.

I'm not going to publish the whole list here, but if you play any SOE games, you'll want to read this.

Staff
#1 Posted by patrickklepek (3478 posts) -

PlayStation Network was not the only Sony service affected by the recent hacker intrusion; Sony Online Entertainment's games and Station network went down for the count, too. It's now coming back up. As with PSN, the restoration of SOE's games and services is happening in staggered phases.

"Restoration of SOE's game services will begin today," said the company in a statement. "This phased restoration will include the return of nearly all of our portfolio of online games, the reinstatement of our game forums and websites, and added functionality to require players to reset their passwords."

Both Sony and SOE are rolling out a "Welcome Back" program to earn goodwill from the community. While Sony remains mum about what PlayStation 3 and PSP players will gain access to, in addition to a free 30 days of service on top outage time, SOE has outlined the rather long list of in-game rewards.

I'm not going to publish the whole list here, but if you play any SOE games, you'll want to read this.

Staff
#2 Edited by X19 (2304 posts) -

I wonder how long the UK will have to wait cus I need a hit of UC2. Also what about people who were paying for the subscription during the downtime?

#3 Posted by zitosilva (1838 posts) -

Guess I could go and see what's going on with DC Universe Online.

#4 Posted by RioStarwind (485 posts) -

Ah everything is coming back online. Hopefully nothing goes wrong at this point.

#5 Posted by LittlemanBodie (124 posts) -

You're a BEAST Patrick!

#6 Posted by Bloodgraiv3 (2712 posts) -

I liked that video they posted.

Respect for Sony for doing all they can.

#7 Posted by patrickklepek (3478 posts) -

I need a beer now guyz

Staff
#8 Posted by Kushieda (45 posts) -

Looks like the predictions were right for DCU, a batman inspired mask for the players.

#9 Posted by laserbolts (5311 posts) -
Yeah nice job reporting this Patrick. It's nice to get up to the minute info like this. Very happy to see this psn nonsense finally getting wrapped up. Cheers everyone.
#10 Posted by Crono (2640 posts) -

I hope that when I wake up tomorrow, PSN will be online and functional so I can enjoy all the lag that 360 users are experiencing in MK9.

#11 Posted by FritzDude (2253 posts) -

4 Sony news in a row. It's madness!

#12 Posted by TheHT (10890 posts) -

Well, I think I have been thoroughly updated. You're a good lad Klepek, and thorough.

#13 Posted by EgoCheck616 (782 posts) -

Huh? Sorry I was too busy playing Portal 2 coop on Steam.

#14 Posted by MildMolasses (3213 posts) -
@Crono said:
I hope that when I wake up tomorrow, PSN will be online and functional so I can enjoy all the lag that 360 users are experiencing in MK9.

You really want lag and broken player matching that badly?
#15 Posted by Jayross (2365 posts) -

Meh... too tired... I can wait until the morning to figure this out.

#16 Posted by Nurve (121 posts) -
@MildMolasses said:
@Crono said:
You really want lag and broken player matching that badly?
Better than nothing!
#17 Posted by Det1 (190 posts) -

So what went on behind the scenes? they changed stuff, right?

#18 Posted by jkuc316 (981 posts) -
@X19 said:
I wonder how long the UK will have to wait cus I need a hit of UC2. Also what about people who were paying for the subscription during the downtime?
Me too. but first, I have to retrieve the DLCs on PS store
#19 Posted by rudyarr (251 posts) -

I am glad Patrick joined the GB crew he is a awesome duder and keeps the news on this site fresh and DOESN'T look like something that was copied and pasted from joystiq or kotaku. 

Cheers Mr. Klepek!!
#20 Posted by effache (128 posts) -

yaaaaaay. I like kaz hirai. 

#21 Posted by BradenFontaine (1 posts) -

im a little confused. so for those of us that arent playing any of the games they are giving in game upgrades to... what do we get?

#22 Posted by HT101 (1151 posts) -

Very glad to hear that PSN and SOE are now back up and running.  Sony may have done some things wrong during this downtime, but they seemed to do many more good things than bad things.  Big props to them for keeping everyone informed for most of the downtime even though it was sparse at the beginning.

#23 Posted by Raikoh (51 posts) -

Great!!!!

#24 Posted by DonChipotle (2693 posts) -

I can play DCUO again? Yay! 

#25 Posted by megaplushie (202 posts) -

I was surprised to see that my account had 45 days of playtime for EQ on the PC and PS2. I haven't had an active subscription in years. I wonder if my EQOA toons are still there after 4 years... 

#26 Posted by Prodigal (21 posts) -

Woot 45 free days game time for SOE MMOs...time to reinstall EQ2!

#27 Edited by Tuddlesworth (114 posts) -
@patrickklepek said:

I need a beer now guyz

You deserve copious amounts of hat tippage. Good work, old bean!
#28 Posted by Sammo21 (3211 posts) -

Kind of unrelated, but if I could join the Green Lantern Corps I would have bought DCU Online.

#29 Posted by pocketfudge (12 posts) -

Time to update my firmware for 3 hours......

oh wait.  The PSN corrective wave hasn't hit our shores yet.
#30 Posted by DougQuaid (1271 posts) -

I guess I can go back and play SWG and PlanetSide for a month and half now. Yay?

#31 Posted by confideration (396 posts) -
@DougQuaid said:
I guess I can go back and play SWG and PlanetSide for a month and half now. Yay?
I totally just played Planetside for like 3 hours... fucking awesome!

If GB did a QL of Planetside that would just about make my year
#32 Posted by DougQuaid (1271 posts) -
@jabbertrack said:
@DougQuaid said:
I totally just played Planetside for like 3 hours... fucking awesome!

If GB did a QL of Planetside that would just about make my year
What's the community like now?
#33 Posted by fox01313 (5061 posts) -

Just hope that the rewards aren't changing passwords again after they get it all back & working because some other stupid hackers decide to test the new PSN/SOE.

#34 Posted by LiquidSwords (2738 posts) -

Now you can all go back to thinking multiplayer makes a game better.

#35 Posted by craigbo180 (1739 posts) -

Finally B4TMAN can have his Batman inspired mask.

#36 Posted by Sayishere (1838 posts) -

Oh really? guess i will reinstlal SWG again

#37 Posted by Kartana (216 posts) -

What's in the ' Welcome Back' package? I need to know, now! 

Probably  DC Universe Online with 30 days online play. Switches to a 1 year subscription if you don't cancel.... aaawwww!
#38 Posted by CletusTheFoetus (148 posts) -

now I can get back to administering justice with my super powerful hero, Captain Clerical!

#39 Posted by X19 (2304 posts) -
@jkuc316: What, I have to download all the DLC again?
#40 Edited by Xymox (2068 posts) -

So if I log into my Star Wars Galaxies account, I get 45 days of game time + a bunch of stuff for my house? I think I may be okay with these terms. 

Edit: m, yea, except they encounter a "system error" when you try to change your password. 
#41 Posted by jkuc316 (981 posts) -
@X19 said:
@jkuc316: What, I have to download all the DLC again?
No thats me, I have to download it.
#42 Posted by Shivoa (607 posts) -
@BradenFontaine: Similarly, I wonder what they're planning on doing for the users who don't currently pay them a monthly fee but also had their details exposed by the security flaws.

Giving people 30 days on top of refunding the time they paid for and couldn't use for subscriptions and a few trinkets in several of their games (including the free to play ones) is all fine and good but what about the millions of people with accounts on file who were exposed but weren't currently paying Sony at the time of the theft?  Is this a case of only caring about the users increasing the Sony bank balance right now rather than in the past (as everyone with an account was exposed)?
#43 Edited by lockwoodx (2479 posts) -
#44 Posted by Mijati (885 posts) -

Tried logging into Pirates of the Burning Sea (I won it in a competition a few years back, installed it and played it once for about an hour) and it's telling me that I'm an underage user? Strange.

#45 Posted by kagato (895 posts) -

I tried to fire up DCUO and was told my account was for an underage user?!?!  Is the game now rated over 30 or something?  This is crazy lol, ticket raised but i doubt anyones going to come back to me.

#46 Posted by MeatSim (10768 posts) -

Now I can still not play Star Wars Galaxies.

#47 Posted by HydraHam (1338 posts) -

Finally i can bust open my copy of DCU for ps3 and play

#48 Posted by Nethlem (384 posts) -
@X19: Yeah i also want to know when european PSN is gonna be back online..

And the people tthat paid for PSN+ gonna get extra PSN+ time ontop of the PSN+ everybody get's. At least that's how i understand the current situation.
#49 Posted by Sayishere (1838 posts) -

free swg time yes.

#50 Posted by StrikerObi (5 posts) -

Finally, I can link my Portal 2 to my Steam account now!

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.