Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Soulcalibur IV

Game » consists of 14 releases. Released Jul 29, 2008

The fifth installment in Namco's Soul series of weapon-based fighting games, Soulcalibur IV is the first to be released on seventh-generation consoles and the first online entry in the series. It's known for its use of Star Wars characters as guest fighters.

Do you hate quitters online?

Avatar image for mario_galaxy_fan
    Mario_Galaxy_Fan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By Mario_Galaxy_Fan

I have played online and whil I aren't that good I hvae been in a few situations where I was gonna win and then the opponent disconnects and you don't get the win. Has that happened to you and if so is it unfair.

gamer_152

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 71

User Lists: 6

#2  Edited By gamer_152  Moderator

This happens to everyone and it's a huge problem in online games. I understand that sometimes disconnections can't be avoided due to breaks in connection but the problem is that often people would rather takes the cowards way out then actually face losing. Even when there's an EXP penalty for losing it never fails to amaze me how ready people are to quit the game, a lot of people seem to have trouble dealing with losing.

Avatar image for deactivated-5c5cdba6e0b96
    deactivated-5c5cdba6e0b96

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 3

Gamer_152 said:
    "This happens to everyone and it's a huge problem in online games. I understand that sometimes disconnections can't be avoided due to breaks in connection but the problem is that often people would rather takes the cowards way out then actually face losing. Even when there's an EXP penalty for losing it never fails to amaze me how ready people are to uit the game, a lot of people seem to have trouble dealing with losing."

Yeah man, alot of the times when I`m playing Call Of Duty and which ever side the host is on and is losing, he disconnects and everyone is forced out of the game, which needs to be fixed.
    Vaxadrin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 1

#4  Edited By Vaxadrin

No way, I love it.  If you're playing any game and you beat your opponent(s) so badly that they quit the game before it's over, that counts as two wins in my book.

Lemegeton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#5  Edited By Lemegeton

i wrote a blog entry about it recently. i hate it so much. Games like top spin have the right attitude , if the other player disconnects then you get the win by default.
    the only thing that annoys me more is campers

orange_pork

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 12

#6  Edited By orange_pork

I haven't ran into that phenomenon yet (so far, about 140 matches in). Tons of Kilik/Astaroth spammers, but no in-battle quitters. Usually all the rage quitting happens in unranked, after the battle ends.

Host: LOL YOU GUYS SUCK GO TO PRACTICE MODE B4 U FACE ME
    Host gets owned.
    Host: FUCKIN' ZASALAMEL'S OVERPOWERED DAMNIT
    Host has disconnected.

SolarboyGil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By SolarboyGil

i also haven't ran into any. Spammers are more of a problem then Dc'ers on ranked.

gameshark5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#8  Edited By gameshark5
    Systech

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#9  Edited By Systech

I don't hate them, I just think that they should have a reason that they quit and then apologize through a message. This goes for all games and not just Soulcalibur.

Clean

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Clean

omg I hate them. People do it so many fucking times in Halo 2

Bulldog19892

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Bulldog19892

In games like SoulCalibur or a strategy game, they should make it so if someone disconnects, the computer takes over (but only if the other player disconnects), and defeating them still counts as a win. At least it will mean that you can get the win even if the other person takes the cheap way out.

orange_pork

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By orange_pork

Ah, scratch that first post. Just encountered my first spammer / rage quitter. :P
    Good game, Seismic Surge.

PHO3NiiX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By PHO3NiiX
    Bulldog19892 said:
    "In games like SoulCalibur or a strategy game, they should make it so if someone disconnects, the computer takes over (but only if the other player disconnects), and defeating them still counts as a win. At least it will mean that you can get the win even if the other person takes the cheap way out."

The most hated game on this planet, Madden, is able to do that. I wonder why other developers don't bother.

IMO, if you quit you should get a one week suspension from playing that game online. People will say that's a bit too harsh, but whatever. I actually think that's too light and that it should be a month, third offense being lifetime. I guarentee you most people would think twice about quitting knowing that $60 will be going to waste.
    Quadrifoglio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#14  Edited By Quadrifoglio

That's one of the main reasons why I don't as much Call of Duty 4 as I used to.

Subway

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Subway

Unless it's a really small game, like a sports game online, or Gears of War style death match, I don't really care if people leave.

Psytek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Psytek

I've had a lot of people leave mid-battle, but I think its mostly due to connection issues. I have 2Mb broadband, and I get really good ping in other games, but I rarely see a 5 connection in SC4.

HoNgKoNgPh0oEy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By HoNgKoNgPh0oEy

Not really since they lose 200 points and im hero king rank 21 so could care less. I hate Button mashers kiliks, mitsurugis and nightmare, siegfried, cervantes noobs more.

HoNgKoNgPh0oEy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By HoNgKoNgPh0oEy

simple fighting game system can be implemented non button mashing servers and button mashing servers . Your wondering how it would be able to tell arent you easy you make a achievement for performing most of your characters moves and it reads the information and bam your in the higher up servers. Of course button mashers would sneak in but still be less. Also if the game watched you play and saw if you were rapidly pressing one or two buttons to move you down. Also they should reward you points per round

Demyx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Demyx
    gameshark5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#20  Edited By gameshark5
    Quadrifoglio said:
    "That's one of the main reasons why I don't as much Call of Duty 4 as I used to."
    i never actually had a problem with that, theres usually so many people that when a person leaves its no big deal
    Homer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Homer
    Meowayne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Meowayne

I don't know. On the one hand, it sucks to have players quit when you're winning. On the other hand, there are plenty of reasons to do it. I don't play video games to prove my manliness, I play them to have fun. I want a quick play of Halo 3, I do matchmaking, and the game mixes me up with an enemy team of players tenfolds better than I am, I quit. It would be half an hour or more of not-having-fun. I'm not paying for XBL and the game to Not Have Fun; If the enemy team is only a bunch of idiots who brag about their skills and how much you suck, they deserve a quitter, etc. pp.

Penalizing quitters is a good idea, but there should also be some kind of compensation for the other players. Computer AI taking over, instant win, something like that.

In summary: No, I don't hate quitters, I think gamers should have the right to end games, but Yes, quitters are still a problem that might need a better solution.

Arjuna

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#23  Edited By Arjuna
    xruntime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#24  Edited By xruntime
    Bucketdeth said:
    "Gamer_152 said:
    "This happens to everyone and it's a huge problem in online games. I understand that sometimes disconnections can't be avoided due to breaks in connection but the problem is that often people would rather takes the cowards way out then actually face losing. Even when there's an EXP penalty for losing it never fails to amaze me how ready people are to uit the game, a lot of people seem to have trouble dealing with losing."

Yeah man, alot of the times when I`m playing Call Of Duty and which ever side the host is on and is losing, he disconnects and everyone is forced out of the game, which needs to be fixed."
    Ah, as a PC gamer, I love my dedicated servers.

Raiden36O

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Raiden36O

it does get annoying wen u only need one more win to level up and they quit out right before they loose. Ive noticed alot of the topish players on the leaderboard quit out if they loose to maintain there win %

Psytek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Psytek

I've played about 25 ranked matches now, and touch wood I havn't had any quitters.

I do get annoyed at the people who insist on playing online games while the other people in their house are using bt/p2p...

wefwefasdf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

#27  Edited By wefwefasdf

Quitters are the worst in Gears of War and then your stats don't count either... :/

Oni

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

#28  Edited By Oni

I played about 90 matches ranked, to get to rank 20, and I've had people quit on me maybe 3 times. The first it happened, I just knew, 'oh, so it's gonna be like this.' It fucking sucks. You invest time and effort to actually win fairly and the dude can't even accept his defeat. So lame. It should definitely give you the win by default, I don't understand why that is not common practice.

And I'm not going to touch ranked matches anymore because any lag at ALL makes playing faster characters just impossible and frustrating. No thanks.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.