Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Soulcalibur IV

Game » consists of 14 releases. Released Jul 29, 2008

The fifth installment in Namco's Soul series of weapon-based fighting games, Soulcalibur IV is the first to be released on seventh-generation consoles and the first online entry in the series. It's known for its use of Star Wars characters as guest fighters.

impressions about SC4 Video Review

• 96 results
    Avatar image for machodanrandycabbage
    MachoDanRandyCabbage

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

LiquidPrince said:
    "Boobs."
    Boobs
    HoNgKoNgPh0oEy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

#52  Edited By HoNgKoNgPh0oEy
    Cowman said:
    "HoNgKoNgPh0oEy said:
    "Edited post a second after you posted after reading your review. Please dont start the name calling because I disagree with your ideals it is not fitting and makes you seem like a 5 year old because that is how they would approach a argument. Im not reading what I want you to say im reading what your saying I read your review im not the only one who feels this way and have played the game alot so I want to know what makes my review  less credible than jeff gerstmann other than the fact that he has done more review s and popular with gamers. Well im saying I believed it deserved  a 4 but that is jeff gerstmann opinon and our opinons differ I respect that so why are you harrasing me with post for my differing opinon for jeff gerst mann?"
    You implied that Gerstmann is biased because he get's paid, that's not respecting Jeff's opinion."
    Not what I meant by the statement what I was going for was gamers are the one that have to pay for the games and play them simply to enjoy them so overall they could possibly be in a better mood and time frame

Cube said:
    "HoNgKoNgPh0oEy said:
    "Cube said:
    "HoNgKoNgPh0oEy said:
    "Cube said: Cube said:
    "HoNgKoNgPh0oEy said: If you knew about how they review games, they don't review in comparison to other games that got a certain score. They don't say "Well, is this game better than DBZ? Because it got the same score". The reviews don't reflect GB's ENTIRE view of the game, only that one dude's impression! Half of those games you listed were reviewed by Vinny or Ryan. That's a fact."

You know what else is fact you just admitted two things you didnt play the game and that if it was a different reviewer score could of been higher. Just your not going to change my opinon so why cant we just have differening ones and call it a night . My post is more factual than yours more substance and I have played the game just as much if not more than gerstmann so why am I not just as credible am I not controversial enough, funny enough , popular enough. Real gamers are the ones that dont get payed to game and they will forever give the better reviewers if they truly choose to not give a biased review like 1 out of 10 and that is what makes gamers just as good as reviewers.
    "
    Don't be stupid. I've played the game and I posted a review for it. All the facts in the world can't change the policy of Giant Bomb or how Jeff felt while playing SC IV. You're being delusional and reading what you want me to say. I'm not saying the score would've been higher with another reviewer, I'm making it explicitly clear that while all those games got the same score, each reviewer may like something about the game that another felt was a negative.

"
    Edited post a second after you posted after reading your review. Please dont start the name calling because I disagree with your ideals it is not fitting and makes you seem like a 5 year old because that is how they would approach a argument. Im not reading what I want you to say im reading what your saying I read your review im not the only one who feels this way and have played the game alot so I want to know what makes my review  less credible than jeff gerstmann other than the fact that he has done more review s and popular with gamers. Well im saying I believed it deserved  a 4 but that is jeff gerstmann opinon and our opinons differ I respect that so why are you harrasing me with post for my differing opinon for jeff gerst mann? In the end Im saying I have different taste than him thus in the future will not let his review decide wether or not I buy a game does that offend you that badly."
    Well, for one, Jeff can use proper grammar and punctuation. It gives me a little bit of confidence when I'm reading proper English.

You're the one acting so melodramatic over your right to disagree that you even went so far as to linking your post and asking people if it "inspired" them in your blog.

I'm not harassing you. You're the one constantly fighting with me and saying "WHAT MAKES MY OPINION LESS CREDIBLE OMG". I'm not saying it's less credible. I'm saying that Jeff justified his score. God."

It is Summer im enjoying it and suck at writing papers . I put it in my blog because I wanted to see if it was just me or if I was completely wrong that is why I said do you agree with me or the g-man in the blog which you of course dont mention. Never do I say OMG so now your just exaggerating but why is my score not justified as much as I play but am I not allowed to be different from him since you keep on saying I shouldnt say that it is how I feel so respect it instead of constantly saying no you cant say that gerstmann is right.

Cube said:
    "I'm not even saying Jeff is right dude, I'm saying that his review was definitely well justified with the score.

"
    Thank you that is better to hear earlier all I could hear from your point is Hongkong you are wrong gerstmann is correct beceause you were not be clear if you had said that more at the beginning I would of agreed. I said it was nitpicks. Nitpicks can bring down a score from varying scales based on pet peeves on reviewer and othter factors and based on those pet peeves for me I would give a 4 so are you going to continue to argue with me for having different pet peeves them him. I never truly said he wasnt justified but I said I didnt fully under stand his points because his nit picks seemed so small to me but that depends on a person to person basis.Cowman said:
    "HoNgKoNgPh0oEy said:
    "Real gamers are the ones that dont get payed to game and they will forever give the better reviewers if they truly choose to not give a biased review like 1 out of 10 and that is what makes gamers just as good as reviewers.
    "
    So you have a problem with reviewers then?
    If you honestly think gamers give better reviews than critics get out of here and stop being an emo because he didn't give the game the score you wanted him to.
    You're not going to always agree with Jeff Gerstmann get over it."
    No not really just wish Giant Bomb was more precise and dont see what truly makes some reviewers better than a dedicated gamer. Now your going to start the name callinf of calling me a emo real mature which Im not which says alot about you when you feel the need to call names in your argument which I never do through out my post because that is for middle schoolers so keep that shit out of here. Im fine with him not giving it the score I wanted I have been fine with it every since my first post until someone said I was wrong and couldnt say I disagree and that person was  sleeping insomniac which was good since my first post was "
    He whines about the stupidest shit saying nothing of the great tower of souls and saying biggest thing in the game is doing too much although I hate the star wars character just as much as anyone the game easily deserves a 4/5 feels like the most questionable review since kane and lynch fiasco. If Battlefield Bad company can get a 5/5 soul calibur IV deserves at leat a 4 this is rediculous spends more time talking about what he game does too much then gameplay and fighting"
    and I agree it was slightly over the top and me and him ended our arguement than someone else  says "Do you mean to tell me you care about a score difference of .25? How can you decide a score between 8.75 and 9.0? Would you care if a game got 8.75 instead of a 9.0?
    Three out of five is not a bad score. Here's the scoring guideline.

While we don't believe any game is perfect, we recommend this game without reservation.

Still very good and easy to recommend, though it doesn't quite live up to its full potential.

The halfway point. An inherent appreciation of this game's specific gameplay style, characters, subject matter, and so on may play as big a role in your enjoyment as the actual quality of the game.

This game's problems outweigh its good qualities.

This game will make you wish you had died in a fire moments before turning it on.

"

acting as if I need the review scale explained to me and every since then it has been a roast of me and I have had some frustration so made some comments that were slightly exaggerated but it is 4 on 2 and you guys are constantly calling me stupid and emo throughout post. So dont even say get over it and disagree wtih me because if you have seen my recent post you know read them I constantly say we both have different opinons and I respect that. This is my last  post for tonight until after Red Faction post but this is my most calm and collected post so far. So dont make fun of my grammar call me stupid or emo because that is the immaturity that makes me not even want to read your post.
    Cube

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 5

#53  Edited By Cube

Fuck, when will you just understand me, dude?
    I'm not saying you should agree with him, I'm motherfucking saying that he justified his score. Stop it, I'm not the "man". Go protest your rights to the government or something.

Tired of people not being able to read simple English. I've been pretty cool on these forums and haven't let many people get to me, but Jesus Christ dude, why do you insist over and over that I'm telling you you're wrong and that you "shouldn't disagree with Gerstmann". For all I care, you could love the game so much that you'd want to caress it at night. But when you claim Jeff isn't a "real gamer" because he gets paid to review, you look ignorant and, quite frankly stupid.

Real gamers are the ones that dont get payed to game and they will forever give the better reviewers if they truly choose to not give a biased review like 1 out of 10 and that is what makes gamers just as good as reviewers.

You did fucking imply that, so don't tell me you didn't.

SpaceInsomniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#54  Edited By SpaceInsomniac
    Cube said:
    That's fine. I'm just saying exactly that - His score was reflective of his review. I gave it a higher score in my review even."
    Yeah, I just got back from reading your review.  You gave it 3.5 and I would have given it a 4.0.  Not a big difference there.  It's strange how the site lets you review with half stars, but the staff only does full stars.  I understand that the staff isn't thinking 1-100 or anything when they review, but this is really going to screw up some metacritic scores. : (

Anyhow, I noticed you had some lag issues with the game that you brought up in your review.  I play the 360 version myself and lag is hardly a problem with a four or five star connection--I even find I can guard impact a fair amount of time--but I don't have any experience with the PS3 version.  I did read that some PS3 users have have really improved their connection using this guide, though.  If you haven't seen it yet, perhaps it will help you enjoy the game that extra .5 amount. : )

http://caliburforum.com/forums/showthread.php?s=fdfad85775fada0ed9d47bb54d831241&threadid=33827
    Cube

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#55  Edited By Cube
    SpaceInsomniac said:
    "Cube said:
    That's fine. I'm just saying exactly that - His score was reflective of his review. I gave it a higher score in my review even."
    Yeah, I just got back from reading your review.  You gave it 3.5 and I would have given it a 4.0.  Not a big difference there.  It's strange how the site lets you review with half stars, but the staff only does full stars.  I understand that the staff isn't thinking 1-100 or anything when they review, but this is really going to screw up some metacritic scores. : (

Anyhow, I noticed you had some lag issues with the game that you brought up in your review.  I play the 360 version myself and lag is hardly a problem with a four or five star connection--I even find I can guard impact a fair amount of time--but I don't have any experience with the PS3 version.  I did read that some PS3 users have have really improved their connection using this guide, though.  If you haven't seen it yet, perhaps it will help you enjoy the game that extra .5 amount. : )

http://caliburforum.com/forums/showthread.php?s=fdfad85775fada0ed9d47bb54d831241&threadid=33827"
    See guys, this is what I like about some people.

Thanks dude, I'll definitely check it out. I get a lot of lag.

Avatar image for deactivated-64c89b592b282
    deactivated-64c89b592b282

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 38

HoNgKoNgPh0oEy said:
    "I constantly say we both have different opinons and I respect that."
    You said game critics are biased, that's not respecting Jeff's opinion.
    When Jeff reviews games he reviews them his own way, not your way. If he give a game a different score than you that's OK it's his review, not yours. It's also OK for you to review a game your own way, not Jeff's way.
    You were acting as though Jeff was just plain wrong, if Jeff gives a game three out of five stars he's allowed just like you are allowed to give it any score you want. If Jeff gave the game the score you wanted him to you wouldn't be complaining about it.
    When you read a review it's about what the author thinks not what you think.
    sAviOr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#57  Edited By sAviOr

Watching Jeff's review, it is clear he really wanted to love the game, but he couldn't due to the issues he spoke of (note: I haven't actually played the game). The game has been getting higher (much higher, even) reviews elsewhere, yet Jeff has justified the score of 3/5 pretty well, I think.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

sAviOr said:
    "Watching Jeff's review, it is clear he really wanted to love the game, but he couldn't due to the issues he spoke of (note: I haven't actually played the game). The game has been getting higher (much higher, even) reviews elsewhere, yet Jeff has justified the score of 3/5 pretty well, I think."
    You need to take into account that the five star system doesn't work well with the scoring systems of Metacritic or Gamerankings. 3 out of 5 stars could be anywhere for 60 to 79 (since they don't give out halfes) on the other scales. It's still a bit off from other reviews but that's Jeff's personal opinion, he's allowed to say what he thinks, you and I understand that, some other people think he's hating on the game.
    HoNgKoNgPh0oEy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#59  Edited By HoNgKoNgPh0oEy
    Cube said:
    "Fuck, when will you just understand me, dude?
    I'm not saying you should agree with him, I'm motherfucking saying that he justified his score. Stop it, I'm not the "man". Go protest your rights to the government or something.

Tired of people not being able to read simple English. I've been pretty cool on these forums and haven't let many people get to me, but Jesus Christ dude, why do you insist over and over that I'm telling you you're wrong and that you "shouldn't disagree with Gerstmann". For all I care, you could love the game so much that you'd want to caress it at night. But when you claim Jeff isn't a "real gamer" because he gets paid to review, you look ignorant and, quite frankly stupid.

Real gamers are the ones that dont get payed to game and they will forever give the better reviewers if they truly choose to not give a biased review like 1 out of 10 and that is what makes gamers just as good as reviewers.

"

No need to cuss but when I say real gamer I mean someone who doesnt work for a gaming site he is still a real gamer but I dont work for a gaming site and no commitments. would be nice if it was on a 10 scale and had second opinons

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

HoNgKoNgPh0oEy said:
    "No need to cuss but when I say real gamer I mean someone who doesnt work for a gaming site he is still a real gamer but I dont work for a gaming site and no commitments. would be nice if it was on a 10 scale and had second opinons"
    There are second opinions they're called user reviews.
    HoNgKoNgPh0oEy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#61  Edited By HoNgKoNgPh0oEy
    Cowman said:
    "HoNgKoNgPh0oEy said:
    "I constantly say we both have different opinons and I respect that."
    You said game critics are biased, that's not respecting Jeff's opinion.
    When Jeff reviews games he reviews them his own way, not your way. If he give a game a different score than you that's OK it's his review, not yours. It's also OK for you to review a game your own way, not Jeff's way.
    You were acting as though Jeff was just plain wrong, if Jeff gives a game three out of five stars he's allowed just like you are allowed to give it any score you want. If Jeff gave the game the score you wanted him to you wouldn't be complaining about it.
    When you read a review it's about what the author thinks not what you think."

If you read my most recent post you would see that I said people have different pet peeves and I guess jeff's pet peeves include too much boobage and star war characters which I agree with so that is the end of it I will just take the number scores away from reviews and just read them
    SpaceTrucker89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#62  Edited By SpaceTrucker89
    HoNgKoNgPh0oEy said:
    "HoNgKoNgPh0oEy said:
    "are my eyes bad or did they just give this a 3 out of 5= 6/10 if so im not going to read their reviews anymore"

He whines about the stupidest shit saying nothing of the great tower of souls and saying biggest thing in the game is doing too much although I hate the star wars character just as much as anyone the game easily deserves a 4/5 feels like the most questionable review since kane and lynch fiasco. If Battlefield Bad company can get a 5/5 soul calibur IV deserves at leat a 4 this is rediculous spends more time talking about what he game does too much then gameplay and fighting."

Yes but Kane and lynch actually did suck ass lol. But i do agree SC4 should have more than 3 stars as it is EPIC!

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

HoNgKoNgPh0oEy said:
    "If you read my most recent post you would see that I said people have different pet peeves and I guess jeff's pet peeves include too much boobage and star war characters which I agree with so that is the end of it I will just take the number scores away from reviews and just read them"
    That doesn't change the fact you called him biased and stated that his review was wrong. You did in fact state that "My best and most inspirational post about SC IV review 3 out of 5 being unjust."
    How can someone's opinion be unjust? It's his opinion, not yours.
    Meowayne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#64  Edited By Meowayne

It's things like that that show over and over again why we have to get rid of the points-system in reviews. This site would be so much more awesome if they didn't have a rating scale at the end of reviews.
    I review movies. I used to put "X out of 10 points" at the end of each review. I realized it was rather pointless when I compared the films I gave the same rating to (and found them all but the same level of enjoyable), so I just stopped doing that about 2 years ago.
    My reviews have gotten so much better since then. And people actually comment on the review instead of bitching over the points.
    Sure, distributing rewards and penalties is fun.  But there is no rating, no "On a scale of ten" that you couldn't better express by just summarizing your review in one or two sentences.  Jeff could've done that here, and everyone would be happy. Everyone could've estimated if he's going to like the game or not, based on what they find important in a game.

Because if you bought Soul Calibur IV to have a solid online fighter with all you like about the Soul Calibur series, this game isn't a "3 out of 5". If, like some people you know, you'll get orgasmic being able to play with lightsabers in a fighter, this game isn't a "3 out of 5". If you're not all that into the series and you like Fighters that tie everything together well, this game might be a "3 out of 5" or less. And so forth.

Summarizing your review on a point scale is stupid, damaging and pointless. Not to mention it makes people don't even read the reviews.
    It should stop.

NotaStalker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#65  Edited By NotaStalker
    Kratos81 said:
    "CharleyTony said:
    "I just wanted to say that the video review of this game was great and that Jeff has once again raised the bar a little higher ..."
    Why are so many people obsessed with Jeff?"
    HE SEXYTIME!!
    HoNgKoNgPh0oEy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#66  Edited By HoNgKoNgPh0oEy
    Cowman said:
    "HoNgKoNgPh0oEy said:
    "If you read my most recent post you would see that I said people have different pet peeves and I guess jeff's pet peeves include too much boobage and star war characters which I agree with so that is the end of it I will just take the number scores away from reviews and just read them"
    That doesn't change the fact you called him biased and stated that his review was wrong. You did in fact state that "My best and most inspirational post about SC IV review 3 out of 5 being unjust."
    How can someone's opinion be unjust? It's his opinion, not yours."

Thats in my blog how I felt it was unjust thought it should be four doesnt mean I didnt think he justified it. I never stated his review was wrong but thought it pointed out small nit picks when there was bigger problems at hand like sometimes joining games constantly can be annoying and it doesnt match you by rank at all why not mention those things instead of the smaller things but it is his choice I had bigger pet peeves with it that were different.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Meowayne said:
    "Summarizing your review on a point scale is stupid, damaging and pointless. Not to mention it makes people don't even read the reviews.
    It should stop."
    I agree with everything you said. A point scale really does't fit right. In reality what is a difference of 1.0? sure it can be the difference between great and good but is that a difference that needs be stated in a score and not in a review?

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

HoNgKoNgPh0oEy said:
    "Thats in my blog how I felt it was unjust thought it should be four doesnt mean I didnt think he justified it. I never stated his review was wrong but thought it pointed out small nit picks when there was bigger problems at hand like sometimes joining games constantly can be annoying and it doesnt match you by rank at all why not mention those things instead of the smaller things but it is his choice I had bigger pet peeves with it that were different."
    Wrong and unjust mean the same thing.
    HoNgKoNgPh0oEy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#69  Edited By HoNgKoNgPh0oEy
    Cowman said:
    "HoNgKoNgPh0oEy said:
    "Thats in my blog how I felt it was unjust thought it should be four doesnt mean I didnt think he justified it. I never stated his review was wrong but thought it pointed out small nit picks when there was bigger problems at hand like sometimes joining games constantly can be annoying and it doesnt match you by rank at all why not mention those things instead of the smaller things but it is his choice I had bigger pet peeves with it that were different."
    Wrong and unjust mean the same thing."

all synonyms to unjust all though wrong is on there I more felt it was undeserved or slightly under rated but still a great a descriptive review got mostly everything but was just suprised small nit picks like boobs, star wars, story(Which has never been good) killed it for him, thought he would focus on the good fighting mechanics more in the vid review but whatever. Good night . Wow that is the meaning of from argument to roast. Also since I never figured out have you actually played the game more than 5 hours and just singleplayer?

aggrieved, biased, cruel, dishonest, improper, inequal, inequitable, iniquitous, oppressive, partial, prejudiced, undeserved, unequal, unfair, unwarranted, wrong, wrongful

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

HoNgKoNgPh0oEy said:
    "Also since I never figured out have you actually played the game more than 5 hours and just singleplayer?"
    I'm not attacking what you think of the game. I've said it time and time again you'd get that if you actually read what I said.
    Jeff should review games his way. If he feels that a game is three out of five stars that's his right, it's his opinion. He shouldn't review games your way he should review games his way. If you feel the game deserves four out of five stars that's OK that your opinion. An opinion can't be wrong. I never said Jeff's review was right and I never said your review was wrong, all I said is that you claim to have a better opinion that someone else, that makes you a jerk.
    You have this attitude that if someone doesn't agree with you there must be something wrong with them. You claim that you respectfully disagree but you clearly don't, your most recent post proves that.
    SpaceInsomniac is respectful that's why you don't see people arguing with him.
    HoNgKoNgPh0oEy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#71  Edited By HoNgKoNgPh0oEy
    Cowman said:
    "HoNgKoNgPh0oEy said:
    "Also since I never figured out have you actually played the game more than 5 hours and just singleplayer?"
    I'm not attacking what you think of the game. I've said it time and time again you'd get that if you actually read what I said.
    Jeff should review games his way. If he feels that a game is three out of five stars that's his right, it's his opinion. He shouldn't review games your way he should review games his way. If you feel the game deserves four out of five stars that's OK that your opinion. An opinion can't be wrong. I never said Jeff's review was right and I never said your review was wrong, all I said is that you claim to have a better opinion that someone else, that makes you a jerk.
    You have this attitude that if someone doesn't agree with you there must be something wrong with them. You claim that you respectfully disagree but you clearly don't, your most recent post proves that.
    SpaceInsomniac is respectful that's why you don't see people arguing with him."

As I said my first post in here was horrible in anget but in the end I was just stating I will not use his reviews when Im on the fence of wether to buy a game or not which I usually do with reviewers because we seem to have different taste
    KillerFly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 33

#72  Edited By KillerFly

When I originally saw Jeff's 3-star writted review, I thought he was being really unfair to a great fighting game.  But after the video review, I think I see where he is coming from.  I still think the game deserves 4 or 5 stars, but I understand why someone would think of it as a 3-star game.

HoNgKoNgPh0oEy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#73  Edited By HoNgKoNgPh0oEy
    KillerFly said:
    "When I originally saw Jeff's 3-star writted review, I thought he was being really unfair to a great fighting game.  But after the video review, I think I see where he is coming from.  I still think the game deserves 4 or 5 stars, but I understand why someone would think of it as a 3-star game."
    Guess that is kinda of the same feeling I felt but instead posted in rage and it went horribly as this topic shows
    Homer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#74  Edited By Homer

Great review, this is an awesome site.

PsYuSoFly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#75  Edited By PsYuSoFly

I bet he gives Tekken 5 a 5/5 because his a tekken holic. Knocking 40% off of a overall fighting game score for boobs and story is stupid, those were basically his only complaints

HoNgKoNgPh0oEy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#76  Edited By HoNgKoNgPh0oEy
    PsYuSoFly said:
    "I bet he gives Tekken 5 a 5/5 because his a tekken holic. Knocking 40% off of a overall fighting game score for boobs and story is stupid, those were basically his only complaints"

I agree just wanted it to get 3.5-4 so bad since they go by the XPLAY scale 3 is just horrible even XPLay  was smart enough to give it a 4 but at least he tried to justify it.

xruntime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 1

#77  Edited By xruntime

I haven't seen too many reviews from Jeff on games I care about (back on Gamespot), but from what I've seen here so far I think he's fine.

HoNgKoNgPh0oEy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#78  Edited By HoNgKoNgPh0oEy
    xruntime said:
    "I haven't seen too many reviews from Jeff on games I care about (back on Gamespot), but from what I've seen here so far I think he's fine."

This is the only one I have ever disagreed with but its cool I will just stick with IGN since I trust them or TeamXbox their both pretty spot on and the same as me in pet peeves and such
    Kane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#79  Edited By Kane

This game is totally tits.

HoNgKoNgPh0oEy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#80  Edited By HoNgKoNgPh0oEy
    Kane said:
    "This game is totally tits."

You bumped up a day old topic to say that ok your cool .
    TheGamerGeek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 13

#81  Edited By TheGamerGeek
    Dalai said:
    "

Well, Jeff likes boobs... that's all you need to know.

"
    Exactly...and they all love nasty kinds of Milk :)
    unworthyBOZO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#82  Edited By unworthyBOZO

it was a fair review

keyhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#83  Edited By keyhunter

This game totally deserves 3 out of 5 stars.

ZombieHunterOG

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#84  Edited By ZombieHunterOG
    keyhunter said:
    "This game totally deserves 3 out of 5 stars."

i disagree good sir  but in a respectful way ...... TEEHEE
    Kane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#85  Edited By Kane
    HoNgKoNgPh0oEy said:
    "Kane said:
    "This game is totally tits."

You bumped up a day old topic to say that ok your cool ."

actualy it was in recent threads, i paid no attention to the date of it
    kenzo287

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 6

#86  Edited By kenzo287

I thought it was a great review and I think anyone that wanted to buy it is going to buy it no matter what few problems it has

Cube

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#87  Edited By Cube
    HoNgKoNgPh0oEy said:
    "Cube said:
    "Fuck, when will you just understand me, dude?

"

No need to cuss but when I say real gamer I mean someone who doesnt work for a gaming site he is still a real gamer but I dont work for a gaming site and no commitments. would be nice if it was on a 10 scale and had second opinons"
    There's no definition for a "real" gamer so just cut it out.

Jeff just so happened to turn his love for games into a career, and from evidence of his rather controversial reviews in the past, the fact that he gets paid has obviously not jaded him at all.

You can get second, third, fourth and fifth opinions from the user reviews on the site. If you mean where it compiles all gaming sites scores, that's a bit hypocritical, because you yourself claim that "Real gamers are the ones that dont get payed to game and they will forever give the better reviewers if they truly choose to not give a biased review". So, why would you want any sites opinion?

10 point scales suck because there's such a fine line between scores.
    HoNgKoNgPh0oEy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#88  Edited By HoNgKoNgPh0oEy
    Cube

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#89  Edited By Cube
    HoNgKoNgPh0oEy said:
    "

They need 10 point scale in my opinon because I would just give it a 8.2 on 10 scale. I played 50 hours so I think I know the game

"
    Wow, same with millions of others, with millions of different opinions.

HoNgKoNgPh0oEy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#90  Edited By HoNgKoNgPh0oEy
    Cube said:
    "HoNgKoNgPh0oEy said:
    "

They need 10 point scale in my opinon because I would just give it a 8.2 on 10 scale. I played 50 hours so I think I know the game

"
    Wow, same with millions of others, with millions of different opinions.

"

Congrats I already said I respect his review and you made a long post so I wanted to dignify you with some kind of response I feel his review is justified because just like everygame I have played this summer Battlefield Bad Company and SC IV I have played for 2 weeks than have been pretty much done.
    Cube

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#91  Edited By Cube

Tell me, how old are you?

Bass

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#92  Edited By Bass

Honestly, the game appeals to a niche group of gamers. Not everyone loves fighters, and if all aspects of it weren't done correctly (story mode / extra character implementation), it shouldn't get 5/5. Games that are 5/5 are usually games that most anyone could pick up and enjoy. This game really only appeals to hardcore fighter fans--and people not scared of Ivy's boobs--and the rest of the game doesn't seem to appeal to anyone.

solidphoenix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#93  Edited By solidphoenix

Just because Jeff had a different opinion of the game doesn't mean that it's wrong.
    A review is a subjective opinion, and as such it should be considered as such.
    If you are angry with the score then why are you blaming Jeff? It's like saying "You don't agree with my opinion, so I hate you."
    ARGH!

If you don't like the review then why are you trusting Jeff for reviews in the first place?
    Is it because you are yearning for him to say that you're right?

People please. Reviews are not the de facto final word on anything; they're a subjective opinion written to allow others to gain an insight into the reviewers opinion, and also so that the reader may learn more about what they're reading about.

SpaceInsomniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#94  Edited By SpaceInsomniac
    Bass said:
    "Honestly, the game appeals to a niche group of gamers. Not everyone loves fighters, and if all aspects of it weren't done correctly (story mode / extra character implementation), it shouldn't get 5/5. Games that are 5/5 are usually games that most anyone could pick up and enjoy. This game really only appeals to hardcore fighter fans--and people not scared of Ivy's boobs--and the rest of the game doesn't seem to appeal to anyone."

I'm not saying it should have been a 5/5, I'm saying it should have been a 4/5, but lets forget about SC for a moment.  You're saying the only games that get 5/5 should be games that appeal to a wide audience?  So, no matter how good it is, Street Fighter IV shouldn't score a 5/5 just because it's a fighter?  Perhaps you feel no one should have given Psychonauts a great review because people don't play platforming titles very much anymore?  Being that Halo Wars is a console RTS title, and those don't seem to sell to anyone but the hardcore RTS crowd, that means it should be next to impossible for the game to get a 5/5 review?   What kind of logic is that?

I hate racing sims, but there's no way I'd ever suggest--just because they don't appeal to everyone--that somehow it should be much harder for a niche genre title to get a great review, as opposed to another FPS title or 3rd person shooter.
    Player1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#95  Edited By Player1
    SpaceInsomniac said:
    "Giving Soul Calibur IV three stars out of five because it has a poor story mode and inappropriate bonus characters is like giving Gears of War three stars out of five because the story sucks and the characters are one dimensional stereotypes.  Nobody should care about those things that much in this type of game.  Core gameplay and online gameplay quality should be at least 80% of an online fighter, and the rest doesn't really matter THAT much.  Instead, goofy bonus characters, a crappy story mode, and the game showing some skin by default--which you can change, BTW--seem to be worth 40% of a perfect review, and lead to the game scoring three out of five stars.

Better single player modes and more new fighters than the goofy star wars tie ins would have made this five out of five stars, but I don't see how their exclusion should drop the score by two full stars.  So while I did enjoy both the video and text reviews, I don't at all agree with the score.  It's now the lowest review on Metacritic by 20 points, so it seems that I'm not the only one who disagrees Jeff's score either."
    I realize your points, but Jeff no longer rates games on a certain criteria. He rates them on the time HE has with them, and how HE would recommend them to us. Those little things ruined his experience, so he didn't give it 4 or 5 stars.

Video review had great editing (nice vinny) and the Well I hate to be the controversial one, But boobs are awesome! 
    AcidicVision

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#96  Edited By AcidicVision

I posted a blog with my thoughts on the bashing the game took on the podcast and alittle bit of the review. I dont want to copy paste bits of it here, so if anyone wants to give it a read and let me know if im just plain wrong or maybe make some sense id appreciate it.

http://www.giantbomb.com/profile/AcidicVision/soul-calibers-defense/30-8382/

I agree pretty wholely with SpaceInsomniac. The 'desperate' assertion though was completely off base.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.