Here is the final boxart, what do you think?

• 51 results
#1 Posted by kingzetta (4307 posts) -

It's easily the best boxart of all of them and they continue their tradition of putting the guest charater front and center on the box.

#2 Posted by CptChiken (1987 posts) -

Ezio is in soul calibur? I suppose thats better than yoda.

#3 Posted by ryanwho (12082 posts) -

Did they just throw something together in the character creator for that blonde dude? I can't even tell what the hell is going on there. There's like a fur coat thing, and some kinda armor on his back sticking out because that makes sense. Namco's goofy. This isn't rocket science. Ezio, pirate dude, some boobs, cover.

#4 Posted by kingzetta (4307 posts) -
@ryanwho: pirate ezio with boobs now your talking
#5 Posted by IkariNoTekken (990 posts) -

Ugh, he's on the cover.

Time to go plug in my Dreamcast.

#6 Posted by themangalist (1742 posts) -
@ryanwho said:

This isn't rocket science. Ezio, pirate dude, some boobs, cover.

AHA I see why this cover seemed so weird. Lack of boobs.

Also, the new antagonist looks like shit.
#7 Posted by Axersia (1622 posts) -
#8 Posted by kingzetta (4307 posts) -
@themangalist said:
@ryanwho said:

This isn't rocket science. Ezio, pirate dude, some boobs, cover.

AHA I see why this cover seemed so weird. Lack of boobs.  Also, the new antagonist looks like shit.
That's just nightmare, he's not new
#9 Posted by BraveToaster (12588 posts) -

Ugh, it looks tacky.

#10 Posted by Hailinel (25203 posts) -

Decent, but not great. It looks like they just picked a new character, a returning character, and a guest character and threw them on the cover in the first arrangement that would make a lick of sense.

#11 Posted by sungahymn (1034 posts) -

#12 Posted by BabyChooChoo (4745 posts) -

Not a fan and it looks like Ezio is photobombing the cover

#13 Posted by themangalist (1742 posts) -
@kingzetta: that's.... Nightmare? Oh wow. Never really played a Soul Calibur game but definitely liked some character designs. The Nightmare I remember was menacing and badass... but here he looks like some weak japanese robot ripoff for some reason :/
#14 Posted by DeeGee (2144 posts) -

The cover is fine, it's only a cover. The real issue is the game looks like they reskinned all the models from the last game and decided that was enough for a new game.

#15 Posted by kingzetta (4307 posts) -

@DeeGee said:

The cover is fine, it's only a cover. The real issue is the game looks like they reskinned all the models from the last game and decided that was enough for a new game.

and they added ultra combos, which is pretty funny

#16 Posted by Creamypies (4088 posts) -

Why is Ezio in Soul Calibur?

Secondly... where are the boobs?

#17 Posted by spilledmilkfactory (1894 posts) -

It's fine. I still love the Gamecube SCII art, but honestly this series has never had the best boxart. I love Ezio as their guest character, too. He fits with the universe so much better than the Star Wars characters did.

This continues to get me unreasonably excited, considering I haven't devoted any significant time to SC since the second game. I've already got this one pre-ordered though.

#18 Posted by MikkaQ (10336 posts) -

Man I still can't believe this game exists. Who's going to buy it in today's fighting game market? It's been a whole new world since SF4.

#19 Posted by WinterSnowblind (7617 posts) -

It's not great. And I'm still not happy that they've done away with most of the old characters just to replace them with kids.

I get the feeling they're just trying to make people think this is a completely reinvented game, rather than doing something genuinely fresh, like Street Fighter or Mortal Kombat. I've been utterly unimpressed with everything we've seen so far.

#20 Posted by Super_Yosh_64 (126 posts) -

pretty nice cover

even though i live in the us i dont really like us covers they focus more on action or the main character

#21 Posted by kingzetta (4307 posts) -
@XII_Sniper said:

Man I still can't believe this game exists. Who's going to buy it in today's fighting game market? It's been a whole new world since SF4.

I'll totality get. Soul cal is my 3rd favorite fighting game after MK and tekken.
#22 Posted by Sooty (8082 posts) -

@Creamypies said:

Why is Ezio in Soul Calibur?

Secondly... where are the boobs?

because the only way Soul Calibur can try and be remotely relevant these days is by throwing in characters from other well known games or series

#23 Posted by Mr_Skeleton (5152 posts) -

Wait is this real, Ezio is in Soul Calibur? That's almost as dumb as the Star Wars crossover.

#24 Posted by MikkaQ (10336 posts) -

@kingzetta said:

@XII_Sniper said:

I'll totality get. Soul cal is my 3rd favorite fighting game after MK and tekken.

Yeah, and I played the first two games like nothing else when they were new. But, come on, let's be realistic, this series only ever did well because there was nothing else new to play if you were into fighting games. Between like 2002 and 2008 or so, it was a very very grim time for the genre.

#25 Posted by kingzetta (4307 posts) -
@XII_Sniper said:

@kingzetta said:

@XII_Sniper said:

Yeah, and I played the first two games like nothing else when they were new. But, come on, let's be realistic, this series only ever did well because there was nothing else new to play if you were into fighting games. Between like 2002 and 2008 or so, it was a very very grim time for the genre.

I will soul cal 1 is still a fantastic game to this day. Also goldeneye was completely terrible and people still go apeshit for it.
#26 Posted by Make_Me_Mad (3116 posts) -

At least they got Soul Edge looking decent again. Nightmare's new design looks a little weird, and at this point I would have expected him and Siegfried to stop being the main characters, but oh well. Hopefully they fix up the character creator, and it'll still be a pretty great time killer like the last few were.

#27 Posted by Redbullet685 (6068 posts) -

It's good, and then you notice Ezio is there. There is really no reason for him to be there.

#28 Posted by Jeffsekai (7049 posts) -

Really nice on that cover.

#29 Posted by VincentVendetta (270 posts) -

OH COME ON! EZIO? WHAT THE HELL!

#30 Posted by nohthink (1223 posts) -

One Ezio's face is the same size as two characters' bodies... At that point, you might as well just as Ezio's face...

#31 Posted by Gramiero (142 posts) -

@Mr_Skeleton said:

Wait is this real, Ezio is in Soul Calibur? That's almost as dumb as the Star Wars crossover.

C'mon, now. Ezio isn't even in the same ballpark of dumb as the Star Wars crossover.

But yeah, Ezio looks out of place on the cover.

#32 Edited by AnnouncerGXZ (702 posts) -

stars wars was one of the best of the best movie in the 80s. this era wasnt much interest in star wars. star wars dont even fit in sc universe. assassins creed character in sc for me is soso. kindda look too weak and ordinary compare to sc warriors but atleast better than star wars chars.

the box art was soso. dont really like the pencel art. should of been cg art like previous box art. sc4 box is the best minus star wars chars. ivy should of be in box art cuz she was in most of box art and she is like signiture of sc along with nightmare.

#33 Posted by Vextroid (1427 posts) -

Needs moar Star Wars.

#34 Posted by Mexican_Brownie (201 posts) -

Ha bisogno di piu Ezio sulla copertina.

PIU EZIO PER FAVORE!!!

Ezio is a much better fit than all of the past guest characters.

#35 Posted by AwesomeAquaman (164 posts) -

I welcome Ezio, one less gay/emo looking guy.

#36 Posted by BRich (440 posts) -

Kinda shit. Better than Yoda.

#37 Posted by BBQBram (2282 posts) -

It's okay I guess. Still like the GC boxart for II, but whatevs. I like that the game seems fast like II again. IV was awesome bit a bit sluggish.

#38 Posted by Pezen (1657 posts) -

Video game ass video game cover. Dull.

#39 Posted by Red12b (9085 posts) -

needs more codpiece

#40 Posted by Christoffer (1900 posts) -

I love me some minimalistic and elegant design work.

This, however, looks like someone chewed on a box of crayons and then sneezed on a blank sheet of paper.

#41 Posted by blueinferno (458 posts) -

I hate how they put the guest characters on the box art of Soul Calibur games.

#42 Posted by TechHits (1390 posts) -

@blueinferno: if they didn't put them on the cover how would people know they were in the game?

#43 Posted by Guided_By_Tigers (8061 posts) -

@TechHits: The internet.

#44 Edited by ViciousAnchovy (789 posts) -

@themangalist said:

@kingzetta: that's.... Nightmare? Oh wow. Never really played a Soul Calibur game but definitely liked some character designs. The Nightmare I remember was menacing and badass... but here he looks like some weak japanese robot ripoff for some reason :/

You're not the only one. Edit: to think that about this Nightmare design.

#45 Posted by FavoritoBandito (172 posts) -

Decent, but still much better than 4's.

#46 Posted by PeasantAbuse (5138 posts) -

I don't like it.

#47 Posted by Brendan (8028 posts) -

What in the hell is that blonde guy wearing?

#48 Posted by BlueCellSpy (11 posts) -

It looks dope but not as appealing as Soul Calibur 2

#49 Posted by Catarrhal (852 posts) -

@Red12b said:

needs more codpiece

…probably the only thing that could get this series back on track, honestly.

#50 Posted by HadesTimes (827 posts) -

In the tradition of very busy covers, SoulCalibur V follows in the perfectly.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.