Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Soulcalibur V

Game » consists of 11 releases. Released Jan 31, 2012

Set seventeen years after Soul Calibur IV, Soul Calibur V introduces a number of new characters to the roster and offers new gameplay tweaks and online enhancements.

I hate change!

• 71 results
    AwesomeAquaman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By AwesomeAquaman

This game has an annoying habit of knocking out old time favorite characters and replacing them with new ones!

Aquaman does not approve!

....or at least not until I get use to them, which I will eventually...took me a while to get used to Yun Sung and Kilik and they became my favorites. Maxi and Mitsurugi is the only one left that I like...I don't see someone with Yun Sung/Hwang sword, so hopefully Yun Sung is still in this too.

SerHulse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#2  Edited By SerHulse

I don't even care anymore, the only good one was Soul Calibur 3, that's right I said it, the 3rd one.

But anyway, it's not the change in the roster that you should care about it's the increasing reliance on "guest characters"

Unless of course the characters they "removed" are destined to be DLC, then you should care about that as well I guess.

AwesomeAquaman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By AwesomeAquaman

I hate guest characters in general, but I'm ok with this one seeing it's one of the few non flamboyant males on the roster. I'm currently not interested in buying this game unless they have characters I want to play that have yet to be announced. If and when they announce dlc characters, I might reconsider, but right now, its a pass.

Avatar image for theoriginalatlas
    Atlas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 19

#4  Edited By Atlas

Wait, they took Taki, Xianghua and Kilik out of Soulcalibur?

Man, fuck that shit. I like the SC characters and those three are among my favourites. If they take out Talim, Yun-Seong and Seong-Mi Na out as well, they might actually lose a sale.

AwesomeAquaman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By AwesomeAquaman

@Atlas said:

Wait, they took Taki, Xianghua and Kilik out of Soulcalibur?

Man, fuck that shit. I like the SC characters and those three are among my favourites. If they take out Talim, Yun-Seong and Seong-Mi Na out as well, they might actually lose a sale.

Nothing's official, but it seems likely. Natsu is Taki's protege, Lexia is Xianghua and Kilik's daughter(?). Usually that means they're replaced if they're using the same weapon as the character before them. Like how Yun Sung replaced Hwang, Maxi replaced Li Long. It also seems likely that Sophitia and Cassandra has been replaced by Patroklos and Pyyrha

MideonNViscera

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#6  Edited By MideonNViscera

You know, this probably wasn't the best time to replace everybody. I'm not feeling much SC love this generation. I'm gonna buy it, but I'm already disappointed that many of the characters are replaced.

SlightConfuse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#7  Edited By SlightConfuse

They replaced old characters with new ones who play the same

MideonNViscera

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By MideonNViscera

Yeah, so why not just keep the characters we're attached to?

Avatar image for theoriginalatlas
    Atlas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 19

#9  Edited By Atlas

Surely all fighting game developers should have learnt from Street Fighter III; even if your new characters are similar to the classic characters, no one likes it when you take out the characters they know and like and replace them with a bunch of new jacks. I appreciate that Namco take the Soulcalibur fiction seriously, and I respect that they have a timeline and that characters are replaced by their kids, but nostalgia and familiarity is what brings people back to later iterations of a fighting game.

Also, why would you take Taki and Xianghua in but leave Ivy and Raphael in?

MideonNViscera

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By MideonNViscera

Isn't Raphael a vampire? Or am I just imagining shit?

MikeGosot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By MikeGosot
    @MideonNViscera said:

Because of the storyline.
    MideonNViscera

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By MideonNViscera

@MikeGosot said:

@MideonNViscera said:

I played every Soul Calibur and have no clue what the story is. I don't think it can be that important. Besides, why could these characters fight for 4 games with no problem but a 5th is suddenly out of the question? It's fiction, they didn't have to replace anybody.

MikeGosot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By MikeGosot
    @MideonNViscera said:

@MikeGosot said:

@MideonNViscera said:

I played every Soul Calibur and have no clue what the story is. I don't think it can be that important. Besides, why could these characters fight for 4 games with no problem but a 5th is suddenly out of the question? It's fiction, they didn't have to replace anybody.

Beacause it's set in the future, and because the story of fighting games makes no sense, but developers love to take them seriously.
    MideonNViscera

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By MideonNViscera

@MikeGosot said:

@MideonNViscera said:

@MikeGosot said:

@MideonNViscera said:

Beacause it's set in the future, and because the story of fighting games makes no sense, but developers love to take them seriously.

Well we're on the same page then it sounds like.

soldierg654342

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By soldierg654342

I don't oppose change. I oppose replacing most of the females with younger women who play pretty much the same as who the replaced while keeping all the old men.

MikeGosot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By MikeGosot
    @MideonNViscera: Pretty much. The unbeliavable faith some developers have in the story of their FIGHTING GAMES is, sometimes, annoying. Like in BlazBlue, or, you know... Soulcalibur V.
    Avatar image for wintersnowblind
    WinterSnowblind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#17  Edited By WinterSnowblind

I don't mind change in games, but I'm definitely not in favour of replacing all of my favourite characters with teen clones.

I expect it to be filled with more horrifying anime guest characters too. ..Though Ezio is a pretty cool guest.

Flurpex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Flurpex

Honestly... I dont really care XD Of course it's frustrating when old, but liked, characters are removed, but I really like having new characters. Maybe if they just, you know, kept every single character ._______________.

Bestostero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#19  Edited By Bestostero

They're not even really new, just rehashed!

┻━┻ ︵╰(°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Superkenon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#20  Edited By Superkenon

Yunsung seems like a shoe-in since he was such a young character, so he'd be an adult for SC5. That's something I'd like to see, actually. I'd say Talim's in the same boat... although Namco seems to like 'em young. I hope they don't retire her for turning 30. But surely not.

I'd like to see Mina return, since she was my favorite character back in the day, but at the same time the sweet release of death might be good for her. She's been progressively shunned, and at this point is basically just "the chick with the spear who wears less and less clothes every game". A tragic state of affairs...!!

Other than that, it'd be nice to see Kilik return even if he does have a replacement, but whatevs. I expect to see Zasalamel return. Maybe Rock's oft-mentioned kid will emerge and take over his movelist.

AwesomeAquaman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By AwesomeAquaman

@Superkenon: Unless he had a child with Seung Mina.

Avatar image for little_socrates
    Little_Socrates

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 23

#22  Edited By Little_Socrates

If they announce Auto-Custom Male/Female returning, I'm okay. Otherwise, fuhgeddaboutit.

MysteriousBob

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

#23  Edited By MysteriousBob

The series need a reboot. I've been playing since Soul Blade and the series died for me with SC3.

I'm one of those lunatics who actually cares about the stories in fighting games and even I didn't understand a bit of SC4's madness. They need to scrap the plot and start fresh. A Tekken 3 style generation jump could help the series regain some focus. It seemed every damn character had at least a bit of Soul Edge in their possession. Didn't seem that cool of an antagonist/weapon after that.

I want the series to return to the historical accuracy of Soul Blade. Obviously I use that term very, very loosely. What I mean is that in Soul Blade the only supernatural thing was Soul Edge. Even Li Long's Nunchaku were acknowledged as an oddity in the 16th Century. Now we have light anime-like fantasy fluff complete with terrible voice acting. I like fighting game that take themselves seriously.

Oh and they need to kill of that Elvis-wannabe Maxi and bring back Li Long who was an infinitely cooler character.

AwesomeAquaman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By AwesomeAquaman

@MysteriousBob: Maxi has grown on me, I like the elvis wannabe! And I agree, reboot does sound good. :D

MysteriousBob

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

#25  Edited By MysteriousBob

@AwesomeAquaman said:

@MysteriousBob: Maxi has grown on me, I like the elvis wannabe! And I agree, reboot does sound good. :D

Maxi was a replacement for Li Long... so I guess replacements don't bother you?

AwesomeAquaman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By AwesomeAquaman

@MysteriousBob: Not when you replace a lot of characters! It's normal for games to replace one or two or even two or three characters and then some new ones, but when you start replacing Taki, Kilik, Xianghua, Sophitia, Cassandra, etc. It's overkill.

AwesomeAquaman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By AwesomeAquaman

@MysteriousBob: Integrate the new characters and take characters away slowly, not just rip them out and slap new ones in all at once is what I'm trying to say.

Karl_Boss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Karl_Boss

I came in here looking for satire....disappointing.

Zelyre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Zelyre

@Atlas said:

Also, why would you take Taki and Xianghua in but leave Ivy and Raphael in?

Raphael is a vampire and Ivy stores time energy in her breasts. Or she's the daughter of the immortal Cervantes and part demon or something.

raviolisumo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#30  Edited By raviolisumo

@MikeGosot: God. The blazblue story.

MikeGosot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By MikeGosot
    @Wes899 said:

@MikeGosot: God. The blazblue story.

They could've made a simple story. They could've spend less time making bullshit to justify their characters. They could've just fucking said: "THERE'S A TOURNAMENT AND PEOPLE WANT TO WIN!". But, NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO... They had to throw all this anime bullshit at us. It made me DISLIKE the characters. I never thought that was fucking possible.
    Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

#32  Edited By Hailinel

@MikeGosot said:

@MideonNViscera: Pretty much. The unbeliavable faith some developers have in the story of their FIGHTING GAMES is, sometimes, annoying. Like in BlazBlue, or, you know... Soulcalibur V.

I find it more annoying when people believe that it's impossible for fighting games to have an even decent story.

MikeGosot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By MikeGosot
    @Hailinel said:

@MikeGosot said:

I find it more annoying when people believe that it's impossible for fighting games to have an even decent story.

They can have a decent story, maybe a stellar history even. I just think that the faith they put on the history of these games is unbeliavable, just because i think they know the history sucks. Also, i don't know a single fighting game with a good story, and i would be glad if you could show me an example. And sorry if i sounded like a dick.
    kashif1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#34  Edited By kashif1

I just want Talim to not be jailbait, anyway Soul Calibur has a really good writer who actually wrote a pretty good story. The problem with this story is that it mostly exists as walls of text

Avatar image for wintersnowblind
    WinterSnowblind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By WinterSnowblind

@MikeGosot: The story in Mortal Kombat was pretty good, in a tongue-in-cheek kind of way. It was over the top and stupid, but in an awesome kind of way and it was presented in a genuinely really good fashion.

Other than that though.. yeah. Whenever you see Tekken, Dead or Alive or Soulcalibur try and do something similar, it just comes off being kind of sad. You can tell they're trying, but failing miserably..

MikeGosot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By MikeGosot
    @WinterSnowblind said:

@MikeGosot: The story in Mortal Kombat was pretty good, in a tongue-in-cheek kind of way. It was over the top and stupid, but in an awesome kind of way and it was presented in a genuinely really good fashion.

Other than that though.. yeah. Whenever you see Tekken, Dead or Alive or Soulcalibur try and do something similar, it just comes off being kind of sad. You can tell they're trying, but failing miserably..

Wooh! I totally forgot about Mortal Kombat. That story reminded me of the movie, so i was happy. I always try to follow fighting games stories because i like to know what are the character motivations and shit. But in the end, the story is usually dumb, in a bad way.
    Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By Hailinel

@MikeGosot said:

@Hailinel said:

@MikeGosot said:

They can have a decent story, maybe a stellar history even. I just think that the faith they put on the history of these games is unbeliavable, just because i think they know the history sucks. Also, i don't know a single fighting game with a good story, and i would be glad if you could show me an example. And sorry if i sounded like a dick.

Mortal Kombat, for one. Not the entire series, mind you, but MK9's story mode was both entertaining and cleaned up the clusterfuck that was the storyline up through Armageddon. And I actually like the BlazBlue storyline, thank you very much. As cliche as it is in various respects, the series does go tot he effort of presenting an actual canon that one could easily follow from one game to the next. Is it perfect? No, but it's far cry better than the old standard of "pick one of the endings from the previous game and make up some cockamamie reason for how the story continues from there." Hell, even Dead or Alive: Dimensions tries to clean things up with its story mode in a manner similar to Mortal Kombat; it's not as successful and feels disjointed, but it's a much better effort than the majority of fighting games have ever presented.

MikeGosot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By MikeGosot
    @Hailinel: I've never played Dead or Alive: Dimensions so i can't say a thing. About the BlazBlue storyline, i appreciate the change, but in my opinion they failed. I usually exaggerate with my opinions (Even though the storyline in Blazblue really made me dislike the characters.), so, again, sorry if i sounded like a dick.
    herocide

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By herocide

What bugs me is they didn't change enough. They've ripped a lot of the exact same animations from SCIII and IV for V (from what I've seen in the trailers) and it makes everything seem really lazily done.

MideonNViscera

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By MideonNViscera

I can't get behind the MK9 story praise. The mode itself was well done, but the story was pretty retarded. Like a Star Wars prequel for lack of a better example.

M_33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By M_33

I'm just glad Lizardman's in this game.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By Hailinel

@MideonNViscera said:

I can't get behind the MK9 story praise. The mode itself was well done, but the story was pretty retarded. Like a Star Wars prequel for lack of a better example.

Compared with what? The Mortal Kombat storyline before MK9 was a huge mess.

@MikeGosot said:

@Hailinel: I've never played Dead or Alive: Dimensions so i can't say a thing. About the BlazBlue storyline, i appreciate the change, but in my opinion they failed. I usually exaggerate with my opinions (Even though the storyline in Blazblue really made me dislike the characters.), so, again, sorry if i sounded like a dick.

Hey, no problem. Different folks, different strokes, and all that.

MikeGosot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By MikeGosot
    @Hailinel: That's why i love GB Forums. Also, is your avatar from Dinasty Warriors or a game like that? I have that doubt since i saw your avatar.
    Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By Hailinel

@MikeGosot said:

@Hailinel: That's why i love GB Forums. Also, is your avatar from Dinasty Warriors or a game like that? I have that doubt since i saw your avatar.

She's Ginchiyo Tachibana from the Samurai Warriors series.

kingzetta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By kingzetta
    @MideonNViscera said:

Isn't Raphael a vampire? Or am I just imagining shit?

yes he is
    kingzetta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By kingzetta

I can't wait to play as Ezio actually

Levio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#47  Edited By Levio

I've never played a Soulcalibur game, so I don't really have an opinion on the matter.

plaintomato

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#48  Edited By plaintomato

Play COD or Assassins Creed. That should fix your problem.

Lunar_Aura

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By Lunar_Aura

Soul Calibur 4 gracefully attempted to coherently tie the storyline

What a clusterfuck
    What a clusterfuck
    Vorbis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#50  Edited By Vorbis

Hilde returns, that's all that matters as far as I'm concerned.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.