Setsuka replaced by alternate Patroklos outfit

#1 Posted by AxleBro (793 posts) -

alpha Patroklos or "Patsuka" as the community on 8wayrun calls him is just him in a new outfit using a shiny blue sword (WONDER WHAT THAT COULD BE) in a style pretty much just like setsuka, reusing a character model for "story reasons" and dropping a character who quite a few people liked. I'll find a video, but they seem to have been removed. i would think that its a way to show her style without showing her but this "a patroklos" has his own slot on the select screen and his own character art and voice content.

Thoughts?

#2 Posted by StarvingGamer (8558 posts) -

Did quite a few people like her? I swear that I'm the only one that I know/have ever seen online using her. In the greater pantheon of SC characters, she's gotta be pretty near the bottom of people's lists right?

Honestly, even as a Setsuka user, I don't really mind this change. I'm attached to the play-style, not the character model.

#3 Posted by TechHits (1391 posts) -

@StarvingGamer: well I can't speak for anyone else, but she was my favorite character.

As for her not being in the game, it doesn't matter so long as her style is there. Using the create-a-fighter mode you could easily create her.

#4 Posted by Hailinel (25205 posts) -

I never really liked using Setsuka. She was mechanically interesting in terms of her weapon style, but not someone that was easy to learn. I also rarely fought Setsuka players during my time online with Soul Calibur IV.

#5 Posted by Superkenon (1506 posts) -

Off the top of my head, Setsuka is the one character I wouldn't mind never seeing again. Even though I do find her combat style interesting, I find myself strangely and actively indifferent to everything else about or surrounding her. It's an odd phenomenon that I don't know how to explain.

But all in all, cutting her from the roster but keeping her style somehow seems win/win to me. I don't buy that Patroklos would suddenly have her moveset though.

#6 Edited by AxleBro (793 posts) -

i honestly don't know if "quite a few people" really like her, i just said it because 8wayrun is all upset and also if i said i don't really care about her in the first post, this thread will devolve into an angry non-discussion faster than normal.

@Superkenon said:

Off the top of my head, Setsuka is the one character I wouldn't mind never seeing again. Even though I do find her combat style interesting, I find myself strangely and actively indifferent to everything else about or surrounding her. It's an odd phenomenon that I don't know how to explain.

But all in all, cutting her from the roster but keeping her style somehow seems win/win to me. I don't buy that Patroklos would suddenly have her moveset though.

except from gameplay i've seen he totally does, then namco removed the video super fast.

#7 Posted by Superkenon (1506 posts) -

Yeah, I don't mean to disregard anyone who is a fan of her. As I suggested, this cold shoulder of mine is of inexplicable origin. It's weird for me to care so very little about one of these characters, but there it is. Maybe it's a personal problem!

@AxleFGK said:

@Superkenon said:

I don't buy that Patroklos would suddenly have her moveset though.

except from gameplay i've seen he totally does, then namco removed the video super fast.

I guess it's disbelief because I don't see the logic in why his ALPHA FORM would be straight-up Setsuka style of all things, but I didn't see the video or nothin' so I'm totally just mouthing off. Nothing to see here, folks!

#8 Posted by FateOfNever (1855 posts) -

I had to actually go and look up who Setsuka was. After finding out who Setsuka is/was, I don't think I care at all.

#9 Posted by AnnouncerGXZ (702 posts) -

@FateOfNever: u got bad taste bra. she fucking hot especially in 3. they fuck her up in 4 making her look like caucasian. she originally look asian. shes hard to master and her moves is not so long range and not so flashy but im crazy about her hotness. love the ancient taditional style women. shes hard to master just like makoto in sf.

sc 5 sucks. too much clones. setsuka fighting style in alpha pat is embarrassing.

#10 Posted by Lunar_Aura (2778 posts) -

Pat in general is embarrassing, sorry Sophie.

#11 Posted by AnnouncerGXZ (702 posts) -

@Lunar_Aura said:

Yes I see several male custom character in sohpie stance in sc4 online and it is hella embarressing but in a positive way. More like funny and joyful than embarrassing. They dress their male character with colorful colors plus soph fighting style. Her stance is exclusively for women and girls! LOL

In alpha pat case...... it is just plain embarrassing in a negative way because it shows how namco really lazy and fucking the variety of fighting style and uniqueness up.

#12 Posted by TechHits (1391 posts) -

@AnnouncerGXZ said:

@FateOfNever: u got bad taste bra. she fucking hot especially in 3. they fuck her up in 4 making her look like caucasian. she originally look asian. shes hard to master and her moves is not so long range and not so flashy but im crazy about her hotness. love the ancient taditional style women. shes hard to master just like makoto in sf.

The internet makes me uncomfortable.

#13 Posted by Bobby_The_Great (1015 posts) -

I miss her and Zasamael a lot. There is a lack of characters in this game that saddens me compared to IV.

#14 Posted by jigenzanittou (1 posts) -

@AnnouncerGXZ: She's actually meant to be caucasian though, she was adopted by a Japanese family.

#15 Posted by Hailinel (25205 posts) -

@AnnouncerGXZ said:

@Lunar_Aura said:

Yes I see several male custom character in sohpie stance in sc4 online and it is hella embarressing but in a positive way. More like funny and joyful than embarrassing. They dress their male character with colorful colors plus soph fighting style. Her stance is exclusively for women and girls! LOL

In alpha pat case...... it is just plain embarrassing in a negative way because it shows how namco really lazy and fucking the variety of fighting style and uniqueness up.

I don't really see the issue. Patroklos only uses the same fighting style and moves as Sophitia, but he's not Sophitia; it wouldn't make sense for his every action to replicate Sophitia's movements.

#16 Posted by CaptainCharisma (339 posts) -

They took away my Yun Seong and Talim styles, there's nothing they can do to make me sad anymore. :(

#17 Posted by huntad (1958 posts) -

I still really like the name Patroklos. Haha, Patroklos...man that's good.

#18 Posted by Herocide (441 posts) -

@Hailinel said:

@AnnouncerGXZ said:

@Lunar_Aura said:

I don't really see the issue. Patroklos only uses the same fighting style and moves as Sophitia, but he's not Sophitia; it wouldn't make sense for his every action to replicate Sophitia's movements.

I'm happy with this, since I can finally make a Link custom character who doesn't have animations that make him look derp.

#19 Posted by MideonNViscera (2252 posts) -

The only thing I remember about Setsuka is that she had the most "developed" figure for putting in underwear and messing with people online haha

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.