Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Soulcalibur V

Game » consists of 11 releases. Released Jan 31, 2012

Set seventeen years after Soul Calibur IV, Soul Calibur V introduces a number of new characters to the roster and offers new gameplay tweaks and online enhancements.

Soul Calibur V Story...

Bestostero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By Bestostero

so what does everyone think? i think it sucks my butt, but what about everyone else?

i particularly dont like that they swapped out old characters for new one that have no significance at all to the story. the story as a whole sucked in general, it did a terrible job of introducing the newcomers, and it really didnt do any favors for returning ones either.

i also didnt like that you didnt get a personal ending for beating arcade mode on any of the characters either...it wouldve been something if the characters that werent part of the story mode had their personal stories in the arcade...but NOPE...

huntad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 13

#2  Edited By huntad

I don't think the story itself is really terrible. However, the way the story is presented/told, and the voice acting can be quite stinky.

AxleBro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By AxleBro

it's poorly written, doesn't answer anything. doesn't flesh anything out about any characters. doesn't explain what the fuck happened. and phyrra sucks. patroklos i rather like, i just feel like the entire story sucks, they could of done so much more, if you're going to make reskins of characters have their own slots on character select and say its because of the story, then make the story not suck massive dick.

but they didn't do that right. the story sucks.

(still a great fighting game, really great changes to the formula despite Jeff being so pessimistic towards soul calibur as a whole)

Make_Me_Mad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 11

#4  Edited By Make_Me_Mad

It was a big downgrade from the story modes of games past, except maybe for SC IV. I'm really not liking that they didn't even give the other characters endings of their own for beating Arcade mode or somesuch- hell, there aren't even profile sections for them anymore. Considering the effort they usually put into the single player in the Soul series, I have to admit this was pretty damn sorry.

As for the story itself, it wasn't terrible, but was still pretty unsatisfying. Characters just sort of disappear from the story when they have absolutely no reason to- looking at you, Tira- and the constant use of the word Malfested made me want to stab myself in the damn ear. Would it have hurt them to just say "monster" from time to time instead of wearing out their stupid ass term for soul-edge related monstrosities? Anyways, could have been worse, but definitely could have been leagues better.

Edit: And for the record, I don't mind the new cast that much. They've even got some pretty interesting backstory, not that the game will tell you a damn thing about that.

smitty86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By smitty86

I'll ask the much needed question at hand: Is that any logical explanation given as to why Talim is not in this game?

FLStyle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 17

#6  Edited By FLStyle

I get the impression that the Soulcalibur team put all their efforts into creating a game fit for tournament play with the Fighting Game Community and half-assed everything else, it would explain a lot.

HadesTimes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 8

#7  Edited By HadesTimes

I don't think the story made any sense, but then most of them don't. So no surprise.

Simplexity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#8  Edited By Simplexity

Hardly a big surprise that a fighting game story is less then great.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

#9  Edited By Hailinel

I thought it was fairly good, but that's probably because I've actually been working on a story where the primary characters are siblings that share a relationship very similar to Patroklos and Pyrrha's. And while it doesn't feature all of the characters, I at least appreciated its focus in telling a story that focused on a few central characters rather than trying to overstuff the narrative with characters that wouldn't necessarily fit. And given that this is the first fighting game story mode of its kind (linear, linked with cinematics) I've seen that actually tells a new story rather than retelling or retconning an existing one, I think it's worthwhile.

I mean, Mortal Kombat's story was great, but it had the benefit of being a second draft.

Commisar123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 14

#10  Edited By Commisar123

@Hailinel said:

I thought it was fairly good, but that's probably because I've actually been working on a story where the primary characters are siblings that share a relationship very similar to Patroklos and Pyrrha's.

You've been working on a story with awkward sexual tension between siblings?

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

#11  Edited By Hailinel

@Commisar123 said:

@Hailinel said:

I thought it was fairly good, but that's probably because I've actually been working on a story where the primary characters are siblings that share a relationship very similar to Patroklos and Pyrrha's.

You've been working on a story with awkward sexual tension between siblings?

In that the sister gets partially possessed, goes crazy and freaks out her brother by trying to get way to close to him, yes.

StarvingGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 25

#12  Edited By StarvingGamer

I just wanted the unlocks so I actually skipped the story but now that I'm watching Maximillian's Let's Play while grinding in ToR, I'm coming around on it. It's nothing to write home about, but I appreciate the broader strokes I'm seeing.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.