Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Sound Shapes

Game » consists of 10 releases. Released Aug 07, 2012

A downloadable musical platformer on PlayStation 3, 4 and Vita, from the creator of Everyday Shooter.

The GB Community Levels Thread!

• 82 results
    Seaborgium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#51  Edited By Seaborgium

@JuxJuxJux: Ah, I see. Thanks!

JuxJuxJux

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#52  Edited By JuxJuxJux

"Smooth Groove in the Sky:" Nice track! I really like how you built this out, and gave the track room to grow/change. There were also some great platform challenges in there too. Welcome to the community, and keep making awesome levels!

"Enjoy the Beat:" I did what your level told me to do! Not a ton when it comes to challenge, but I can tell you were going for music over gameplay in this one. Keep it up!

"Just Explore:" Very nice. I like how you thought of where I'd likely try to explore, and put notes/coins there for me to pick up as a reward. Great job!

Sooperspy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 17

#53  Edited By Sooperspy

@Bdubs: Pretty good level. Liked the level design and the challenge of it. Just wasn't felling the music until about 3/4 through it. Still, good level!

TheMasterDS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 31

#54  Edited By TheMasterDS

I'm TheMastaDS on PSN (Sony doesn't permit "Master")  and I have two maps that are worth looking at. 

An Escape 

Stickerbrush Song 

Enjoy.

xtuhc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#55  Edited By xtuhc

My level:

Space Escape
    http://soundshapesgame.com/level/bR0h9EUC

Psn: XtuhC
    Gb:xtuhc

killacam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#56  Edited By killacam

Oscillator was sweet! always appreciate it when non-essential screens are filled in. and nice job on that spaceship.

Nice first level. The platforming was fun, and pretty hard at points. Maybe a few more checkpoints.

@TheMasterDS

Easy on the Chili Powder. Thanks!

beepmachine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#57  Edited By beepmachine

@killacam: Thanks very much! I really want to play all these levels but I still can't connect.

TheMasterDS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#58  Edited By TheMasterDS
    @killacam: I'm afraid I'm not sure which awkward jumps you mean. One issue with using your own feedback during the creation of a map appears to be that, since you play through it upteen times, you kind of master the fiddly bits. Probably the 2nd room, right? 

Edit: Speaking of great ideas, while I have a few songs in production I'm not quite feeling them, so instead I think it may be helpful for me to limit my palette a bit and try doing 5 songs each exclusively pulling from a single album's resources. Seems currently I just pull from wherever suits my fancy and that seems like poor practice honestly. Should be fun! If I get around to them anyway. Darksiders II is this week. Still, I can't imagine loving it more than Sound Shapes... so I can see myself making sure to take the time.
    xtuhc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#59  Edited By xtuhc

New level :))

VINALAGA
    http://soundshapesgame.com/level/rEP3XP30

psn:XtuhC

Lava

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 8

#60  Edited By Lava

@JuxJuxJux: Thanks man! I appreciate the compliments! Inspires me to make more levels!

killacam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#61  Edited By killacam

@TheMasterDS Yeah it's definitely hard to distance yourself from your levels. Your babies. One jump I remember being just shy of impossible was where you have to attach to the underside of an electric platform, climb to the side and jump to the left before the spark comes. The angle of the electroplatform was throwing me off, but I could just be missing something. Maybe escape is never meant to be easy. But anyways I was really digging your levels and I await more.

It seems to me that in getting a little too wild with the album mixing and matching the song loses cohesiveness. I haven't tried just pulling everything from the same album, but I'd think some of the instruments from the first two albums are universal enough to always potentially work.

TheMasterDS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#62  Edited By TheMasterDS

@killacam: Ah, right. That jump. I actually never had a problem with it. I think I nailed that first time, though I knew it was cutting it really close which I liked. Key is, far as I can remember, to go as far up the block you're standing on as possible and jump onto the beam at the right time and jump off to the vegetation as soon as you can.

The thing that's crazy about making Sounds Shapes levels is the line the platforming follows has to be informed by what music will be. That's not all, but the rate and order in which the player is to collect the music also has to be considered. Plus any mechanic you want to add has to fit with the song... If you'd like to toy with a mechanic but its sounds don't jive with the song it can't stay. It's a bit crazy making.

killacam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#63  Edited By killacam

@TheMasterDS said:

@killacam: The thing that's crazy about making Sounds Shapes levels is the line the platforming follows has to be informed by what music will be. That's not all, but the rate and order in which the player is to collect the music also has to be considered. Plus any mechanic you want to add has to fit with the song... If you'd like to toy with a mechanic but its sounds don't jive with the song it can't stay. It's a bit crazy making.

Agreed. I try to let my notes dictate my level design, but sometimes playing around with some of the objects will inform and change my music choices. It's kind of a cyclical process; music informing level, level informing music. It really takes time and patience. But I like working within the confines of what the game gives you. It kind of necessitates creativity.

TheMasterDS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#64  Edited By TheMasterDS

@killacam: I've always thought that it wasn't the line that was important, just that there was a line and it was an interesting line with some interesting forks along the way. Having the music dictate the line is an interesting requirement. Only thing I wonder sometimes is which way is best to build a level, one screen at a time, music first or level first, or, conversely, lay down a bunch of music then build a level around it. I've been trying the later, unsuccessfully so far. Seems like when I get around to the screen I gut the existing music and throw down new stuff instead.

I also have a strong belief that the end is very important, especially since it ends up being the preview image for your level. I believe, whatever you do, you should try to summarize it in your final room. It's what I did for An Escape, it's what I plan to do with any future tracks.

Sooperspy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#65  Edited By Sooperspy

@TheMasterDS: The preview image is the screen you last saved on. I really wish the game would tell you that outright. I had to figure that out myself.

TheMasterDS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#66  Edited By TheMasterDS

@Redbullet685: Seems to me when you end up publishing it ends up being the final screen since that's the one every level ends on and, therefore, that's what screen the editor has moved to by the time you finish. I know you can make the preview image whatever in the editor, but can you make it whatever when you publish?

Avatar image for brechtiandinnertheater
    BrechtianDinnerTheater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Hey there, fellow Giant Bomb Sound Shapes fans! I just finished my first *real* level, called "One Gray Hair." (I originally published a shorter version consisting of only the first three and final two screens called "No rest for the wicked," but I changed the title of the finished version once one of my friends rightly pointed out that's the title of an Ozzy song.) I'm pretty excited to share it with you, and also excited to check out the other awesome levels made by the community. (Thanks for assembling this handy-dandy table.)

My PSN Username is DWHulford, and here's a link to my level's page on the Sound Shapes website: http://www.soundshapesgame.com/level/oaSRCeWv

MiniPato

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#68  Edited By MiniPato

Does anyone know how to get notes to play without making the player collect them first? I think I've seen some user made levels do this. It's not a prop object making the sounds cause I see the notes playing in the background.

Also is there a way to overlap certain objects over one another? I know with some objects it depends on which object you place first. But some just get overlapped no matter the order I put them in. Like If I use two different background patterns, one will always overlap the other, no matter which I put first.

Sooperspy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#69  Edited By Sooperspy

@TheMasterDS: Next time you make a level, before you publish, save on whatever screen you want. That screen you last save on will be the preview image. Like you can see here with my level No Walk In The Park, the preview image is not the last screen. It is the screen I last saved on before publishing.

@MiniPato: I don't think you can make the music notes/coins play without collecting them. I could be wrong, but I'm pretty sure the player has to collect them first.

TheMasterDS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#70  Edited By TheMasterDS

@Redbullet685: Ah. Well I'm happy with the preview image being the final room and have adjusted by endeavoring to make the last room a summation of the level at large, which I feel is good practice anyway since the end probably should reflect on the level at large anyway. Except with Stickerbrush Song where I didn't feel like it. Still, the next few I have in mind should have real good endings that should make for great preview images.

@MiniPato: I think that effect is typically done by placing the note right where the player enters the screen so that they don't realize they've picked it up.

Muerthoz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#71  Edited By Muerthoz
    Brenderous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#72  Edited By Brenderous

Lost Woods Ocaremix

PSN: Brenderous

Yeah, I know, it's a zelda one. But all the other Lost Woods ones were TOTALLY WRONG and I couldn't NOT do it.

crunchmonkey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#73  Edited By crunchmonkey
    xtuhc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#74  Edited By xtuhc
    crunchmonkey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#75  Edited By crunchmonkey
    xtuhc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#76  Edited By xtuhc

New Level:

Flower Fields
    http://soundshapesgame.com/level/IQiB2RoD

Psn:Xtuhc
    Gb:Xtuhc
    Also many thanks to redbullet for keeping this thread alive :))

TheMasterDS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#77  Edited By TheMasterDS

My third song/level is 100% Hello Robot! It's called Hello Pantheon.

Hello Pantheon

Next an all Corporeal level.

Edit: My Corporeal level is coming along pretty well, but I'm beginning to think it's not worth doing considering that only 2 people played my last level, neither of them being from here but by all accounts random dudes. It's little consolation that both of them appeared to have enjoyed their 5 minutes with my level and have each given it a heart, I can't spend hours working to give 2 people 5 minutes of pleasure. That math does not work out.

We'll see, but for now I'm not feeling very motivated. I'm only motivated by how awesome and cool the level could be and, honestly, I've abandoned enough awesome and cool ideas to not be bothered anymore.

xtuhc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#78  Edited By xtuhc

New level:

In Shape
    http://soundshapesgame.com/level/pzS2pQ42

Psn: XtuhC
    Gb: Xtuhc

fattonyxxl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#79  Edited By fattonyxxl

@Redbullet685: This was my first proper level, pretty happy about it!

Level: Corp.

Username: fattonyxxl

TheMasterDS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#80  Edited By TheMasterDS

Though my first level in my "Make a song using resources from one album alone" only got 3 plays and 3 likes (including my own play and like) I decided to go ahead and make the second song, Confidenceal, because I had nothing else to do today. The song uses only Corporeal stuff. Next is Beyond, which I have a pretty awesome idea for if I get around to it.

Check it out!

Confidenceal

Sooperspy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#81  Edited By Sooperspy

I have made a new level! It is called Inc.. Check it out if you ever find yourself playing Sound Shapes again.

doylen05

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#82  Edited By doylen05

i just played this for the first time id defo say its worth playing if youve not played it before i made a level aswell its kind of stupid its called yolo.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.