Do you think this will be any good, and will you buy it?

• 53 results
#1 Posted by Dacnomaniac (443 posts) -

As the title suggests. I am definitely gonna buy this. Plus, it will be awesome to see a licensed title sell well, and be a good game Unlike plummet to the center of the earth like the vast majority of the others.

#2 Edited by Dacnomaniac (443 posts) -

As the title suggests. I am definitely gonna buy this. Plus, it will be awesome to see a licensed title sell well, and be a good game. Unlike others, that seem to plummet to the center of the earth.

#3 Posted by AlisterCat (5645 posts) -

Yes.

#4 Posted by AlexW00d (6317 posts) -

No, even 12 year old me didn't find South Park anything other than immature and bad.

#5 Posted by MattyFTM (14420 posts) -

If it actually comes out, yeah. It looks pretty awesome.

#6 Posted by rentfn (1282 posts) -

I'm pretty excited for this. I've enjoyed South Park since I saw the first season in 10th grade. I'm sure I'm getting my hopes too high for this but I am very excited.

#7 Posted by HarlechQuinn (450 posts) -

Yes, instant buy as it is a Obsidian game.

#8 Posted by ExplodeMode (852 posts) -

Developer I like, writers I like, my favorite genre. I'm looking forward to it.

#9 Posted by Dacnomaniac (443 posts) -

Only thing i'm personally concerned about is the combat. I mean turn-based strategy could go either way...and I haven't seen much info on it other than the gameplay video.

#10 Posted by Vexxan (4623 posts) -

I'm not totally sold on it yet but it looks pretty good. Would love to see some more gameplay.

#11 Posted by Sterling (2512 posts) -

Game of the Year.

#12 Posted by dutch42 (533 posts) -

Looks potentially interesting but will wait to find out more.

#13 Posted by O___________O (1 posts) -

I'm looking forward to it, I will definitely buy it.

#14 Posted by killacam (1285 posts) -

When i used to watch South Park 5 or so years ago I thought it was brilliantly written, never ceasing to put forth a hilarious and topical narrative that satirized a lot of the world's both major and minute issues.

Then I saw the trailer at the VGA's, and though I'm aware that it, like most games trailers (especially ones shown on Spike TV), probably isn't indicative of the game as a whole, jokes about Kyle being a Jew just aren't funny. So I'm not sure what to think, but unless it has some brilliant overarching narrative akin to the WoW or 9/11 episodes then I think I'll count myself out.

#15 Posted by Maajin (1074 posts) -

If it's good I'll buy it.

#16 Posted by green_sky (49 posts) -

Yes. It is my second most anticipated game of the year.

#17 Edited by project343 (2835 posts) -

I love Obsidian, but tend to dislike South Park (outside of the appreciation I have for their commitment to scrutinizing pop culture). I think it was the $60 asking price that turned me off the purchase. I just don't know if there is going to be enough meaningful content there for me to justify that asking price.

#18 Posted by Imsorrymsjackson (855 posts) -

No and no.

#20 Posted by VoodooTatum (75 posts) -

@AlexW00d said:

No, even 12 year old me didn't find South Park anything other than immature and bad.

Who invited the buzz kill?

#21 Posted by Stete (748 posts) -

I hope it is. But as much as I love Obsidian, they really phoned it in with Dungeon Siege 3 and they could be doing the same with this. (Not that Dungeon Siege 3 was a bad game, it was just ridiculously unambitious for an Obsidian game).

#22 Posted by phrosnite (3518 posts) -

No, I won't be buying it. I've seen one episode of South Park so I couldn't care less.

#23 Posted by buddysmokes (8 posts) -

As long as obsidian have had enough time this game will be good.

#24 Posted by AlexW00d (6317 posts) -

@VoodooTatum said:

@AlexW00d said:

The thread title?

#25 Posted by Canteu (2821 posts) -

Don't care if it is or not and No.

#26 Posted by dcgc (878 posts) -

Yes, because I'm a big South Park fan. Laughs to the person who said the show was bad and immature.

#27 Posted by Ravenlight (8040 posts) -

I don't really have any interest in South Park or a game based on that particular piece of entertainment.

I will be surprised if it's any good but I still won't play it.

#28 Posted by FancySoapsMan (5841 posts) -

if the humor in it is anything like the recent seasons of South Park, then it will probably be painfully unfunny.

so in other words, no. I expect it to be terrible.

#29 Posted by whiskeyZ (21 posts) -

@AlexW00d: That's because South Park isn't created for 12 year olds

#30 Posted by Animasta (14715 posts) -

@AlexW00d said:

@VoodooTatum said:

@AlexW00d said:

The thread title?

I'm with you, south park sucks.

I'm really bummed because Obsidian went from AP and F:NV (both fantastic games) to making a bunch of games I couldn't care about/actively dislike :(

#31 Posted by WinterSnowblind (7617 posts) -

@AlexW00d said:

I hated South Park, until I was mature enough to actually understand what they were parodying.

Anyway, yeah. I have a lot of faith in Obsidian and the game seems be sticking very true to the TV series. I'm looking forward to it a lot.

#32 Posted by Kerned (1170 posts) -

I'd love to see it turn out to be good. Obsidian is capable of making both good and not-so-good games, so I'm just taking a "wait and see" approach (but I always take a "wait and see" approach).

#33 Posted by _Chad (962 posts) -
#34 Posted by AlexW00d (6317 posts) -

@WinterSnowblind said:

@AlexW00d said:

I hated South Park, until I was mature enough to actually understand what they were parodying.

Anyway, yeah. I have a lot of faith in Obsidian and the game seems be sticking very true to the TV series. I'm looking forward to it a lot.

I guess you're trying to imply I'm not mature enough to understand it? Either way I don't think you need to be mature to understand jew jokes or jokes about Oprah Winfrey's vagina, and American pop culture references will only make sense if you're American.

#35 Posted by WinterSnowblind (7617 posts) -

@AlexW00d: I meant most 12 year olds aren't going to understand anything besides the Jew jokes and Oprah Winfrey's vagina. If you still don't like it now, that's a shame, but I think there's a lot of depth and intelligence to the show, unlike something like Family Guy. Most people tend to focus on the crude parts (and some of it is very crude) though, unfortunately.

#36 Posted by MrHadouken (196 posts) -

I want to pre-order, but until a concrete street date is announced I will wait. Looks pretty promising to me.

#37 Posted by BeachThunder (12118 posts) -

If you asked me a few months ago, I would have said yes; however, I'm not really so sure anymore. South Park and RPGs don't appeal to me in the way they once did...

#38 Posted by Animasta (14715 posts) -

@WinterSnowblind said:

@AlexW00d: I meant most 12 year olds aren't going to understand anything besides the Jew jokes and Oprah Winfrey's vagina. If you still don't like it now, that's a shame, but I think there's a lot of depth and intelligence to the show, unlike something like Family Guy. Most people tend to focus on the crude parts (and some of it is very crude) though, unfortunately.

being better than family guy is not exactly a hard bar to beat.

#39 Posted by Hunkulese (2797 posts) -
@Dacnomaniac Your poll sucks. You ask 2 questions but only give a yes or no response. What about those of us that aren't expecting it to be good but will probably buy it anyway.
#40 Posted by Jackhole (383 posts) -
@AlexW00d said:

@WinterSnowblind said:

@AlexW00d said:

I guess you're trying to imply I'm not mature enough to understand it? Either way I don't think you need to be mature to understand jew jokes or jokes about Oprah Winfrey's vagina, and American pop culture references will only make sense if you're American.

If you seriously think that's all South Park is, then you have not watched enough of it. It has somehow managed to remain funny and relevant throughout it's 17 year run. It's quite impressive. I recommend the episodes You're Getting Old and Make Love Not Warcraft.
#41 Posted by jhevans51 (36 posts) -

A license with an original plot developed directly by Parker/Stone and in the hands of a great developer? I'm in.

#42 Posted by ArbitraryWater (11934 posts) -

I have no interest in buying it at full price, but I will probably pick it up somewhere down the line. I still think South Park is pretty funny and occasionally brilliant (though not as much as I did when I was like... 16 or so) and I think Obsidian is competent enough that it will probably be a decent game.

#43 Edited by Dacnomaniac (443 posts) -

@Hunkulese: Then you don't necessarily have to fucking vote. This is still a thread and is talking about the subject. Just because there is a poll doesn't mean it's compulsory. I'm sorry my poll offended you. You don't have to be a dick about it....

#44 Posted by bartok (2555 posts) -

I am cautiously optimistic given the trailers and the level of involvement from Trey Parker and Matt Stone.

#45 Posted by Zaccheus (1798 posts) -

I'm hopeful.

@O___________O: Your username is nuts.

#46 Posted by Hunter5024 (5849 posts) -

I like South Park, I like RPGs, so I'm cautiously optimistic. I'm not entirely sold that this will be a chocolate and peanut butter situation though. I think RPGs work because they are (or at least in their prime were) some of the best delivery systems for video game worlds and narrative, and I'm not really sure this is a world I care to invest that much time in, other games have tried to make humor RPGs and I've usually found it boring. Also I'm concerned the humor won't hold up throughout the whole experience.

#47 Edited by Coombs (3449 posts) -

I have no idea & Yes pre-order

But I love odd games, I pre-ordered Naughty Bear, bought Fairytale Fights on release day and many others like them.

Really don't know if this is actually going to be good, honestly don't even care, lol

#48 Posted by hussatron (189 posts) -

I think it will be good for the target audience, but I don't think I'm a part of that audience anymore. So yes and no, I guess.

#49 Posted by GetEveryone (4458 posts) -

The issue with South Park is the extremely short turn-around time for episodes. It's often very uneven: the satire can be half-baked and the jokes miss miserably.

Given that Obsidian can write a really great story, and they've had the time, I can see this being pretty great.

...hopefully.

#50 Edited by OfficeGamer (1087 posts) -

I always give my money to matt and trey, I owe them for a million laughs.

@WinterSnowblind said:

Wise and true words.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.