Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

South Park: The Stick of Truth

Game » consists of 13 releases. Released Mar 04, 2014

An Obsidian-developed role-playing game based on the South Park animated TV series, in which players control a new kid in the eponymous town of South Park and takes part in an epic pretend-fantasy story that threatens the entire town.

does the retail pc version of this activate on steam

lord_canti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 6

it seems consistant (atleast in the uk) that the on disk version is cheaper by at least £10 compared to steams 39.99 price point. has it been made known that the disk version activates on steam ? im on the fence for this game and making it a little cheaper may push me over.

also does anyone know why it is cheaper ? i would have thought that a disk version would have extra costs associated with production than in digital which is just generating a license

JJWeatherman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 18

I'm not sure if disc-based products all come with Steam keys. I think that depends on the relationship between Valve and the publishers, and whether or not they choose to make that an option. I know that there's an official list of Steam redeemable games somewhere, but I'm not sure how up-to-the-minute that is.

Also, I just bought the game from Green Man Gaming for 45 U.S. dollars after a 25% off code. I'm not sure how that converts, but maybe that'd be worth doing.

MattyFTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 11

#3 MattyFTM  Moderator

I'm pretty sure the retail version activates on Steam, but I'm not 100% sure, though.

But if it's purely about the price, Greenman Gaming are selling it digitally 25% off with the coupon code KCE1U6-JJ96XO-IR5W7L. And that definitely activates on Steam.

As for why games are generally cheaper at retail - on Steam, Ubisoft set the price. At retail, the retailers set the price. Retailers will undercut Steam and each-other in order to generate sales.

Guybrush

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 32

#4  Edited By Guybrush

You can buy a steam key from Amazon for £28.

I ended up taking a risk on the retail disk because I got it for £23 from GAME (coupon code 'costumes' plus credit).

schlorgan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 7

I know I bought ACIV on Gamefly Digital and it gave me a UPlay only key.

Kidavenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 90

User Lists: 33

The game uses Steam achievements, that is normally a good indication that all PC versions will require steam, there have been a few exceptions but they are rare.

TreeTrunk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 0

Check this list:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_games_using_Steam_authentication

South Park the stick of truth is listed there at the bottom under "upcoming games", but to make sure, look at the back of the box before buying, if it has the steam symbol, then it activates on steam.

Avatar image for adequatelyprepared
    AdequatelyPrepared

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

Look at the back of the PC case in the store. Usually games that activate on Steam have something telling buyers that at the bottom. Or just look for a mention of the word Steam.

Dangerloves

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

Yes the retail boxed copy requires Steam activation. Though there's no indication on the back of box, or even any copyright/TM Steam logos inside the manual. But on the front page of the manual, just about the serial key there in fine print that reads; "Steam Activation Code". So yes the PC retail boxed copy requires a Steam.

Also noted boxed copies don't have pre-order bonuses inside.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.