Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

South Park: The Stick of Truth

Game » consists of 13 releases. Released Mar 04, 2014

An Obsidian-developed role-playing game based on the South Park animated TV series, in which players control a new kid in the eponymous town of South Park and takes part in an epic pretend-fantasy story that threatens the entire town.

Help me defend this title

BroCoolGuy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Long time fan, first time posting.

Just wanted to start out and say how much I really like how well crafted this game is. It's been a longggg time since I've played a licensed game that actually feels fun to play and is consistently funny throughout. That being said, I cannot help but praise this game to everyone who is under the stigma that "it can't be a good game because its based on a 'cartoon'".

A buddy of mine (who loves South Park, maybe even more than me) has been playing this game and is saying how it is NOT worth 60 bucks and the entire game could have been made in Adobe Flash. (He is a kind of a freshly graduated programmer). To me, most games are not worth 60 bucks in my mind but i argue that since most triple A titles come out as 60 this is as good as any to be worth that price. (especially how many terrible games that have come out that start at 60). I don't understand programming all that much but i feel as though calling this game a "flash game" ..well that just doesn't seem right.

Also he actually likes this game, he just thinks that it should have been a 20 dollar game instead of a 60 and that it could have been made in Flash.

What do you guys think?

Sterling

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

I think your friend is jelly and you should threaten to call the jelly school on him mkay.

StarvingGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 25

Who cares? You don't need your friend's approval to enjoy the game. Life will teach him common sense eventually.

Darji

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

He is nuts: That is exactly how the show looks. What did he expect awesome 3D effects?

Avatar image for deactivated-64162a4f80e83
    deactivated-64162a4f80e83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

Man he's going to get a huge dose of reality when he starts persuing this programming career of his

Avatar image for viciousbearmauling
    ViciousBearMauling

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

What else could it have looked like? It captures the very essence of South Park.

RazielCuts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@darji said:

He is nuts: That is exactly how the show looks. What did he expect awesome 3D effects?

What else could it have looked like? It captures the very essence of South Park.

He wanted this -

Muuuch better (actually I don't think it looks too bad)
    Muuuch better (actually I don't think it looks too bad)
    laserguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

If your friend thought it should be twenty dollars then he should have waited for the price to drop before he bought it. Enjoy it for what it is.

MannyMAR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#9  Edited By MannyMAR

To be honest, you can make A LOT of modern 2d games in Flash albeit the coding necessary would be monumental instead of using something like Unity. With that said, if a game like South Park was made in Flash it would be such a resource hog that it would slow many high end machines to a crawl.

On the subject of what the game is worth, I will say that anyone's interpretation of the value of a game is completely subjective. I think South Park is great because it's like buying an interactive full season of the show. Hell, the standard list price of the complete 16th season Blue Ray is $59.99 (although you can get for $30 online now) for roughly 7-8 hours worth of episodes.

If he feels it's a $20 game then so be it, and wait until the price drops then purchase it at that price.

BroCoolGuy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

BroCoolGuy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Who cares? You don't need your friend's approval to enjoy the game. Life will teach him common sense eventually.

Nope, you're right. I enjoy this game regardless of his opinion or anyone else's I'm more curious on what people think about price and the coding of the game (i guess i mostly just wanted to learn the limitations of Flash games)

@mannymar you have a good point about comparing the price to the blu ray full season and about your Flash comment - cool the more i know thanks!

Phoenix654

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 4

It's as perfect a South Park game as I could have hoped for. To me, it was easily worth the money I paid for it to have it on release day. To someone who maybe finds the game offensive in some way (though the way it looks is a new one on me), maybe it wasn't worth it to them. Considering the amount of characters who have voice work recorded for the game (meaning ALL OF THEM) and the amount of utter, utter laughter this teased out of me, I think it's fine for them to sell it at the usual price. If he is unhappy with the outcome, there was no shortage of coverage for this title, he could have found out what it looked like long before deciding to put his money down for it and waited for it to drop or for a sale.

chaser324

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 15

#13 chaser324  Moderator

In spite of the fact that Flash has been used to make a tremendous number of games, it actually isn't all that great a platform for games, especially nothing all that significant in scale/scope (resource hog, potential for framerate/performance issues regardless of how high-end a machine is).

As far as the price, it's a high quality ~15 hour game that a ton of work went into over the course of several years by well regarded people from both video games and TV/film. How was this ever going to debut at a budget price of $20?

glots

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yeah, @mannymar is right in saying that creating a game this big purely in Flash would be pretty tasking to play on most PCs...anyway, flash game or not, I probably would've paid full price of this, had it come out on PS4. Now I was "sadly" forced to stick with the PC-version, since I was interested enough in it to give it a try. Bought it from GMG with a discounted price of 30 euros and it definetly has been worth that amount.

crusader8463

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 5

Your friend is right. I beat it last night and don't think it was worth more then $20-$30 at best. The gameplay was not fun, none of the side quests were interesting or funny, and the main plot story could have been a 2-3 part special tv show once you cut out the gameplay in between cut scenes. Luckily I did only pay $20 for it thanks to greenman gamaing having a big sale on it like 5 months ago.

Unilad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

THIS GAME IS THE SHIT! YOUR ARGUMENT IS INVALID!

Avatar image for themanwithnoplan
    TheManWithNoPlan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 14

#17  Edited By TheManWithNoPlan

I think people should learn to parse out whether or not a game is "worth full price" over the fact that they just don't "want to pay" full price.

ShaggE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Just say "Your FACE should have been a $20 dollar game!".

While he spends six months recovering in the local burn ward, he'll find a new appreciation for the simpler things in life, and return to the game with a new-found gusto.

ch3burashka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Rather that "defending" this game and changing the mind of your friend, get another friend. Yours sounds like a douche.

Hunkulese

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Hunkulese

Your friend is just being a jerk or he lied to everyone about being a programmer.

ZolRoyce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

(He is a kind of a freshly graduated programmer).

Ah, and there is the problem right there, he is probably riding high off of the feeling of thinking now that they know a little, they know everything.
    It's like the person who gets out of college or university and had that one teacher that like totally changed the way they think "We don't really need air to breath maaaaaaan."
    He'll either get over it and look back and laugh at how silly he was orrrrrrrr he'll just be a King Douchebag for forever.

BroCoolGuy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By BroCoolGuy

@zolroyce said:

@brocoolguy said:
    (He is a kind of a freshly graduated programmer).

Ah, and there is the problem right there, he is probably riding high off of the feeling of thinking now that they know a little, they know everything.

It's like the person who gets out of college or university and had that one teacher that like totally changed the way they think "We don't really need air to breath maaaaaaan."

He'll either get over it and look back and laugh at how silly he was orrrrrrrr he'll just be a King Douchebag for forever.

LOL ^^^.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.