Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

South Park: The Stick of Truth

Game » consists of 13 releases. Released Mar 04, 2014

An Obsidian-developed role-playing game based on the South Park animated TV series, in which players control a new kid in the eponymous town of South Park and takes part in an epic pretend-fantasy story that threatens the entire town.

Help me make a decision. (no spoilers)

supermonkey122

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 4

Ok, so a few weeks ago I headed down to my local Gamestop and pre-ordered Infamous: Second Son, which I am expecting to be a great game judging by the footage and previews I've seen. However, I am also a huge South Park fan (seen every episode and the movie), and have been waiting for a great South Park game to come out for years now, and The Stick of Truth looks like it will answer those prayers. Should I cancel my preorder for Infamous, and use the money from that to buy South Park? It's also worth noting that whichever game I don't end up getting right now I will end up getting later.

Avatar image for themanwithnoplan
    TheManWithNoPlan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 14

#3  Edited By TheManWithNoPlan

Well, I can't recommend one over the other seeing as I haven't played Infamous yet, but I can say the stick of truth is an awesome game you definitely shouldn't miss out on. I've seen a lot of the show and the game totally delivered on my expectations of it. I'm not telling you to cancel your pre-order, but I will say you should pick up the South Park game at some point, especially seeing you're a fan and would more than likely appreciate it.

supermonkey122

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@themanwithnoplan Yea, I'm just a little torn because I know Infamous will be a very good game since I loved the first 2, but obviously The Stick of Truth is very appealing to me, and the great reviews it's been getting make me really want it. If I had known how good the reviews would be before hand, I probably would have preordered South Park.

Barrock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Without spoiling anything I'll just state that Stick of Truth is THE South Park video game. If you have ever wanted one in your life, get the game. The comedy is by far the highlight but the gameplay is no slouch either.

supermonkey122

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@barrock@themanwithnoplan Thanks guys, I'm leaning towards South Park and getting Infamous later, but I'm gonna wait until some more people respond.

toowalrus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Ok, so a few weeks ago I headed down to my local Gamestop and pre-ordered Infamous: Second Son, which I am expecting to be a great game judging by the footage and previews I've seen. However, I am also a huge South Park fan (seen every episode and the movie), and have been waiting for a great South Park game to come out for years now, and The Stick of Truth looks like it will answer those prayers. Should I cancel my preorder for Infamous, and use the money from that to buy South Park? It's also worth noting that whichever game I don't end up getting right now I will end up getting later.

You seem like THE guy the South Park was made for. If you buy it, you're guaranteed a good time (for 12 hours or so). Infamous looks pretty great too though, so you can't really lose.

Quarters

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

I would say go with inFamous instead, if only for the fact that South Park will probably drop in price infinitely faster than inFamous. However, go with what sounds good for you. Sounds like you'll enjoy either regardless.

jay_ray

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

If it comes down to a money thing I can tell you South Park is great for its 12-15 hours you'll get out of one play through but has little to no replay value. Once you see the ending that's about it. If Infamous is like the first two the game will be longer then South Park and possibly have reason to replay it. But Maybe Second Son will be garbage so who knows.

supermonkey122

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jay_ray: I rarely replay games anyway, even ones with a lot of choice like Infamous.

Karkarov

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It sounds like you love south park. If you love south park then stick of truth could actually be a game of the year contender for you. Buy the stick. Just don't look at it too hard as it's powers are too much for the human mind to behold. Also if you play it to completion it will actually hold up for a good 20 hours. 12-15 hours is if you basically push the main story and don't try to do "everything".

jay_ray

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#12  Edited By jay_ray

@karkarov: I completed every side quest I found and Steam said I played for 14 hours. I really don't know how I could get an extra 6 hours out of the game.

Sergio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

I was going to say South Park since I'm playing it and I think it's one of the greatest South Park episodes ever (even though it isn't really an episode). I'm very excited for inFamous and have it pre-ordered, but I can't say how good it is or if it lives up to expectations yet.

However, @quarters probably has the right answer. I can see South Park dropping in price much sooner than inFamous since it's a previous gen game. If you're planning to eventually get both, you might as well save yourself some money.

@quarters said:

I would say go with inFamous instead, if only for the fact that South Park will probably drop in price infinitely faster than inFamous. However, go with what sounds good for you. Sounds like you'll enjoy either regardless.

Sergio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#14  Edited By Sergio

@jay_ray: I'm not even done yet, doing all the side stuff, and have more time than that. Part of it is leaving the game paused for bathroom breaks, but most of it is because I'm taking my time walking through town instead of using fast travel.

Versez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Rent it, it's too short to justify a buy, nut you must play it, it's awesome.

PimblyCharles

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#16  Edited By PimblyCharles

@jay_ray said:

@karkarov: I completed every side quest I found and Steam said I played for 14 hours. I really don't know how I could get an extra 6 hours out of the game.

My Steam time for my first play through was 20 hours and I didn't complete all side quests. I played on the hardest difficulty and died quite a few times, also explored a lot once the entire town opened up in the beginning.

I highly recommend playing South Park The Stick of Truth if you are a fan of the show. It is the South Park video game we've been waiting for all these years. However, IMO, the $60 price tag is a bit high to justify for someone who isn't a die hard Obsidian or South Park fan. It seems like you are a huge South Park fan so if you really don't want to wait longer to play it, go for it.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.