Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

South Park: The Stick of Truth

Game » consists of 13 releases. Released Mar 04, 2014

An Obsidian-developed role-playing game based on the South Park animated TV series, in which players control a new kid in the eponymous town of South Park and takes part in an epic pretend-fantasy story that threatens the entire town.

How Are You Liking It So Far?

• 82 results
    KillEm_Dafoe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 6

#51  Edited By KillEm_Dafoe

It's fucking fantastic. I've been a huge fan of this show since the beginning and the amount of things this game gets right, both as a love letter to the show and as an actual video game, is staggering. I'm having a lot of fun with it so far and I know it'll be one of my games of the year.

indieslaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

Just beat it, it's great! 8/10. -1 for bugs, -1.5 for random annoyances/unclear or broken tutorial elements/contributions to rape culture/etc, +.5 for Mr. Hankey's wife on facebook.

forkboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#53  Edited By forkboy

What I'm thinking is it is funny, but it is also fucking irritating me. Look, hammer a to proceed and then not managing to hammer a and being forced in a loop to do it over and over is fine once or twice. But then forcing me to do it in a limited time period is a fucking terrible mechanic and is honestly about to make me stop playing this game. Super fucking bummer.

I'm actually wishing this shitty dumb button mashing segment had been cutout on PC.

chaser324

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 15

#54 chaser324  Moderator

@forkboy said:

What I'm thinking is it is funny, but it is also fucking irritating me. Look, hammer a to proceed and then not managing to hammer a and being forced in a loop to do it over and over is fine once or twice. But then forcing me to do it in a limited time period is a fucking terrible mechanic and is honestly about to make me stop playing this game. Super fucking bummer.

I'm actually wishing this shitty dumb button mashing segment had been cutout on PC.

I'm not sure specifically what segment you're referring to, but I don't remember having any issues like this. I did play with a 360 controller though. Are you using keyboard and mouse?

spraynardtatum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@forkboy said:

If you're playing with keyboard and mouse it's usually hammer A & D. Don't know if that'd help but I thought I'd throw it out there.

DonMFJohnson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#56  Edited By DonMFJohnson

I'd say it's 4/5 as a game and 5/5 as fan service. Enjoying it immensely, it's just stupid and fun :)

Krullban

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@forkboy said:

Which part are you even talking about? I've never had issues like that at all.

VeRKK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#58  Edited By VeRKK

I liked the writing and the set-pieces for the most part, but as far as the gameplay, it was good but nothing beyond that. Happy I played and experienced it, but for me, the game is not a "10 out of 10" like most sites gave it, it's not a GOTY for me\IMO.

Avatar image for themanwithnoplan
    TheManWithNoPlan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#59  Edited By TheManWithNoPlan

Got further in the game, and the gameplay's really held up for me. It's tactical, somewhat challenging, but not overly difficult. The turns of the story have been super fun to see play out, and some of the stuff they do later is crazy/amazing. I can tell I'm nearing the end, and while I'm sad, I'm also happy I got to play such an amazing game. It's definitely a contender of GOTY for me so far this year.

development

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#60  Edited By development

I just finished it. I can think of only a few ways the game could have been better:

- I didn't see any hippies

- I didn't see the horrible demonic Woodland Critters

- Clyde didn't transform into Giant Clyde like in the one e3 trailer

And in terms of nailing the look of the show, I really can't imagine what they could have done better. They nailed it all. Maybe if they make another one they'll have the confidence and support of the community to go into new territory rather than lean so much against past South Park episodes, although I do think they did it in a tasteful way the whole way through.

forkboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#61  Edited By forkboy

@krullban said:

@forkboy said:

The first (are there more?) visit to the spaceship, when our young hero is getting probed. And must mash A to stop being probed by the white dick. Which is easy. And then must do it again to break off the black dick. Despite trying multiple times, with multiple techniques (seriously, between last night and this morning I must have wasted an hour in total) I could never get that bar past about 7/8th of the way full, and then it would stop and I'd have to start from scratch. And yes, I have been using a 360 controller. It was incredible. I even stuck it on Casual to see if it made any difference and it did not. It was seriously aggravating. I ended up just downloading Cheat Engine and slowing the game down to 50% for that segment.

Krullban

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@forkboy said:

@krullban said:

@forkboy said:

The first (are there more?) visit to the spaceship, when our young hero is getting probed. And must mash A to stop being probed by the white dick. Which is easy. And then must do it again to break off the black dick. Despite trying multiple times, with multiple techniques (seriously, between last night and this morning I must have wasted an hour in total) I could never get that bar past about 7/8th of the way full, and then it would stop and I'd have to start from scratch. And yes, I have been using a 360 controller. It was incredible. I even stuck it on Casual to see if it made any difference and it did not. It was seriously aggravating. I ended up just downloading Cheat Engine and slowing the game down to 50% for that segment.

I had no problem at all at that part on a keyboard. Just mashed the button and it went through first try.

chaser324

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#63 chaser324  Moderator

- I didn't see the horrible demonicWoodland Critters

I think I saw someone mention that they actually are in there. Hidden somewhere in the lost woods.

development

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@krullban said:

@forkboy said:

@krullban said:

@forkboy said:

I had no problem at all at that part on a keyboard. Just mashed the button and it went through first try.

I had no problems like this, either, and I was using a 360 controller. The only thing I can think is if @forkboy had a bad framerate and their inputs weren't being recognized by the game engine, although most developers would set the game up so that kind of thing couldn't happen.

@development said:

I think I saw someone mention that they actually are in there. Hidden somewhere in the lost woods.

Dang, I ran around in there a bunch after I beat the game. Ran into those wolves, having never seen 'em during my playthrough, but no Woodland Critters. I'll go looking again I guess.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d9e9473c7960
    deactivated-5d9e9473c7960

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@chaser324 said:

@development said:

Dang, I ran around in there a bunch after I beat the game. Ran into those wolves, having never seen 'em during my playthrough, but no Woodland Critters. I'll go looking again I guess.

"Follow the directions in the Lost Forest found in Kyle's room."

Friends list and how to find them I didn't make this btw.

Avatar image for deactivated-61356eb4a76c8
    deactivated-61356eb4a76c8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

I'm enjoying it, nothing has really made me laugh uncontrollably yet but I'm enjoying the references sprinkled everywhere. I wasn't really enjoying the combat but I am tearing through fights now that I got some better equipment.

tearhead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 52

Finished it this morning, and I LOVED just about every minute of it. This is the funniest game I've ever played, and maybe also the best licensed game ever. For fans of the series, the 15 hours of gameplay are packed with references.

OurSin_360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#68  Edited By OurSin_360

I'm interested in playing it, but south park really fell off for me years ago. I was a fan from the start but felt like they kinda ran out of actual jokes and just relied on shock and gross out "humor" instead. Just dropped 60 on titan fall preload and gotta drop 60 for infamous later this month, but i'm tempted to give this a try . Maybe wait until the eventual steam sale

Sterling

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#69  Edited By Sterling

Anyone know of any DLC plans?

bigjeffrey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sterling said:

Anyone know of any DLC plans?

Isn't it pretty much a given seeing as there is a DLC thing on the main menu. Although if there is plans it will probably take a while.

Sterling

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#71  Edited By Sterling

@bigjeffrey: Lots of games have that menu option, but the only thing that ever comes out is costume DLC. Or things like that. I mean actual DLC, like extra missions/story.

EuanDewar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#72  Edited By EuanDewar

OH MY GOD I LOVE THIS GAME. Soooo much fun. Just got done with the battle in the school and I'm doing laps basically, after that. It is well jackson.

armaan8014

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 17

Im really loving the mood and atmosphere of the game. So relaxing! Also, I like to constantly fart to see how people react.

I sat in Cartman's bedroom listening to the whole Minorities song. So good.

frymillstrum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It looks great and is funny as fuck but as far as gameplay goes I don't find it that enthusing. The references to gameplay tropes are entertaining enough to keep moving me along though.

Tennmuerti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#75  Edited By Tennmuerti

It's a fantastic game, for a single playthrough.

Really well put together, often funny. It's Southpark through and through. I am enjoying the heck out of it to the point of staying awake once until 9am because I couldn't put it down.

That being said that qualifier is there for a reason. As someone who plays a shitton rpgs, as full priced one of those Southpark is really lacking in replayability. You are going to play this game once and that's it. There is no reason to ever go back to it. To me this is a big knock against any rpg. Both narrative wise and mechanics wise there are no real alternative ways to play it. Story wise I could understand that and find it somewhat acceptable. But mechanically it's a tougher thing to forgive, there is just too little difference between "classes" to have any sort of tactical impact, the gear progression is exactly the same, the perks are the same, there are no passive differences, no general play style differences. The only difference between them are the 6 moves they get and even there a lot of them do the same things just in slightly altered ways, and unless enemies have armror/shiled aren't even useful, 90% of the time just attacking with good weapons with debuffs is a better tactical choice.

Compare this to something like Obsidian's own Alpha Protocol for example, which I can replay 3 different ways minimum and have all of these playthoughts be very varied both in narrative choices and in terms of the gameplay itself. In a way Southpark:tSoT is the perfect game for the professional review crowd, almost all of whom will play an rpg game once and never try to go deep. It just irks me a bit when a game will get no credit for depths and replayability and vice versa an rpg will not get any significant knocks against it when it's too shallow.

If this game was 20-30 bucks I would recommend it to anyone without hesitation. As it stands it's rescued only by the fantastic way in which it represents Southpark and great humor, which is enough to make it a really good game anyway. The mechanics are just good enough to prop up the whole edifice once and for a short time only.

BisonHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

@tennmuerti: If Alpha Protocol made good on all the crazy ambitions it had, then yes, you could play it 3 different ways. But man, I started a second playthrough, and really couldn't bring myself to play through the whole game again just to see Marburg die at a different point in the story, or see some cutscene resolve in a different fashion depending how I treat certain characters. Having all those rep levels with all the different characters was a cool idea, but c'mon the narrative choices don't change that much. And yeah, you can spec yourself differently, but oh god, so many of the skill trees are super useless, and most of the non-pistol weapons feel completely terrible to use.

And to your main point, I just have to disagree. I don't think replayability is that important of a factor for RPGs. At least, not in this type of story-based RPG. I'm perfectly fine with South Park being a one-and-done experience. If the player character classes did diverge more considerably, would you really play through the entirety of a comedy-based RPG again just to experience the game with a differently-classed main character? When your party members and the story are going to be exactly the same?

I get it, sometimes there is a challenge to be had in trying a totally different class that has different strengths and weaknesses, to see how you would tackle those same situations under different circumstances. It's a pity they didn't differentiate the classes more. But even if they were more different, this just doesn't seem like the kind of game where I'd ever be interested in doing that though. Instead I'd sit there at my desk, say "Yeah, if I were a squishy mage I guess I'd make sure to heal more and take advantage of my magic", envision in my mind doing that throughout the entirety of the game, then BAM, I just saved myself another 10-20 hours of gameplay. Then I go play a different game I haven't already finished.

Tennmuerti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#77  Edited By Tennmuerti

@bisonhero: I gave AP mostly as an example by the same company. There are RPGs which do it much better as a whole: Witcher, BG2, Fallout.

(but just fyi all weapons are good in AP if you just invest in them, and you can do even different play thought with just melee, or no weapons altogether(except bosses) also the narative permutations are quite extensive if you kept playing)

To me RPGs are all about playing how you want. You can't play how you want if there is only 1 way to play. Choices and consequences are what make RPGs for me both in combat and out of it. It's the only thing that separates the genre from all others in the first place. For all the games that have borrowed RPG elements, the combination of narrative/tactical choice is the one unique remaining aspect. I wouldn't call Xcom:EU an RPG for example.

Otherwise it's just a comedy with some rudimentary tactical combat. Which is fine. It's still a great game.

MrJorOwe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I've probably only seen about ten episodes of the show, so i'm not getting any of the references. Still enjoying it though, there are enough jokes just within the game to make me laugh, which is more than can be said for most other 'funny' games. Only about 3 hours in also.

spraynardtatum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#79  Edited By spraynardtatum

Best character idles of all time. It's hilarious to me every time I finish texting a friend to look up and see the in game characters texting and playing with their phones too. The blatant real world stuff that they put in to contrast the fantasy stuff is so fucking funny and smart.

DeadPan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#80  Edited By DeadPan

Love it so far. About 7 hours in. Its one of the funniest games ive ever played. In tears a fair few times

The part where you fight the underpants gnomes under your mom and dad fucking, and you need to avoid your fathers swinging nuts. Amazing

GOTY moment right there

mrfluke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Oh my god, just finished it, easily one of the funniest/fucked up games Ive ever played, died laughing in some spots in this game, this is definitely a favorite for me,

mrfluke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#82  Edited By mrfluke

Oh my god, just finished it, easily one of the funniest/fucked up games Ive ever played, died laughing in some spots in this game, this is definitely a favorite for me,

@zolroyce said:
    @bboys2231 said:

I've only watched South Park for maybe the first 3 years or so that it was on. Do you think I'll still get some of the references and enjoy the game? Don't get me wrong I love South Park just got sidetracked in high school/college/life.

I think I've seen a reference for every season there has been thus far so you'll probably pick up on some of them. But the game as far as I have played it as of right now doesn't rely on references to understand the game or get through it, it is PACKED with them, but at no point did I need to know any of them to get what was happening in the game.

yea i haven't watched south park in about 9-10 years, and i still picked up on some of the references and still laughed my ass off. its sort of like if you like Saints row's brand of crazy you'ill like this games brand of crazy.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.