Stick of Truth needs to sell 2 million units to break even.

  • 80 results
  • 1
  • 2
#51 Posted by Animasta (14698 posts) -

Hell I might buy it and I fucking hate south park more than anyone, but I'd buy it just to support Obsidian.

#52 Posted by The_Hiro_Abides (1263 posts) -

@Tylea002: I would say the boss battles are broken in Alpha Protocol. If you haven't spent enough points in a gun skill the first boss fight can be really grueling. At least it was for me but I was playing as the recruit class and was almost entirely spec'ed for stealth.

Now that I think about it the boss fights are similar to Deus Ex: Human Revolution.

#53 Posted by Phatmac (5726 posts) -

I don't think it'll hit 2 million.

#54 Edited by Twiggy199 (498 posts) -

I think....Job done. they'll smash it.

#55 Posted by Village_Guy (2598 posts) -

I'm not sure whether I'll buy it yet or not.

Though I do think the game can sell two million units, South Park is a big license, and I think they could have aimed higher than that, but they are playing somewhat safe.

I guess they just need to get the word out to people who aren't necessarily playing / or following video games.

#56 Posted by Jimbo (9819 posts) -

Low-cost AAA title. 2 million units to break even. Right.

#57 Posted by Jimbo (9819 posts) -
@CenturionCajun said:
Just to throw my two cents in Kingdoms of Amalur Reckoning didn't fail. 1.7 million is pretty good for an unknown franchise. Like was said on the Bombcast EA was ready to sign for Reckoning 2. What failed was 38 Studios finances. They were spending millions a month on an MMO they never showed to anyone.
Everybody lost their jobs and the company filed for bankruptcy. By what metric was Amalur a success?
#58 Posted by Tennmuerti (8123 posts) -

@Oldirtybearon said:

@Tylea002 said:

@Oldirtybearon said:

I'm a little bit into both NV and Alpha Protocol, and it does not have broken gameplay. AP has odd gameplay, but not broken. The odd gameplay actually forces me to use stealth in ways I hadn't considered - it's very gamey, and it's very dice-rolly but, it's not broken. I'm really enjoying it so far.

when an RPG offers many, many paths and methods of play and only one is actually viable to complete the game, I'll go ahead and call that pretty damn broken.

That's great because, AP was competently viable with almost all of it's paths and methods of play. As long as you sink points into any particular skill it became a viable playstyle. I played through it stealthily, with pistols, with melee only, non lethal, guns blazing with shotguns and assault rifles or with traps and grenades, without any issues. Mix and match a few to your hearts content.

@Tylea002: BTW, there are no actual diceroll (random) systems in AP, beyond gun bullet spread which is standard to all shooters, the spread is simply greater then what people are used to from FPS games (but gets actually smaller then normal in FPS at high levels, to pinpoint levels). The game simply reduces the spread and the reticule as you get better in the skill. There is only a single actual difference in shooting mechanics in AP compared to say BF3/CoD or others which is the first bullet/shot mechanic, whereas in most shooters the first bullet from a gun is always dead on in AP the first bullet is like any other and adheres to spread variance; hence the dicerolly feeling some people get.

#59 Posted by Seedofpower (3932 posts) -

@Bourbon_Warrior: I believe it would be like FF from what I saw. I don't mind that too much and I can see a downloadable game breaking 2 million due to it's low bar of entry on price.

#60 Posted by frankfartmouth (1018 posts) -

I don't think it will be too hard for them get there. Won't matter much whether the game sucks or not. 50 Cent: Bulletproof sold around 2 million and it was a piece of crap with a weaker brand.

#61 Posted by GreatMadness (37 posts) -

@Jimbo said:

@CenturionCajun said:
Just to throw my two cents in Kingdoms of Amalur Reckoning didn't fail. 1.7 million is pretty good for an unknown franchise. Like was said on the Bombcast EA was ready to sign for Reckoning 2. What failed was 38 Studios finances. They were spending millions a month on an MMO they never showed to anyone.
Everybody lost their jobs and the company filed for bankruptcy. By what metric was Amalur a success?

By the metric that was just said. They apparently sold 1.7 million units and I assume turned a profit for EA and Big Huge Games (I can't find actual global sales figures so for the sake of argument we'll say it's correct.) The problem is that Big Huge Games' parent company 38 Studios was pissing money down the drain trying to make Copernicus, and if they did make a profit they promptly sank it into their US taxpayer-funded money hole.

So, to reiterate. Reckoning could well have been a success. Curt Schilling and his MMO were not. To put it another way, if Coca-Cola the company used all its profits to buy the moon and went bankrupt Coke the beverage would still have been successful and profitable.

#62 Posted by Cincaid (2956 posts) -

Wait a second...this game is retail? How the hell did I miss that information? Probably me just counting on it being a downloadable title.

#63 Posted by Klei (1768 posts) -

2M unit for an arcade title is very only reserved to the greatest of them all. I doubt South Park will rank along Fez, Braid and Limbo.

#64 Posted by Tennmuerti (8123 posts) -

@adam1808 said:

Wonder how Tenorman's revenge sold despite being terrible

Literally on the first page of the topic.

#65 Posted by Kidavenger (3569 posts) -

@Oldirtybearon said:

Same goes for Uncharted. Despite everyone on the Internet loving that series to bits, it never moved that many units.

Wikipedia seems to think the Uncharted series sold 17 million copies, that's pretty good, the only console exclusive series to best that would be Halo and not many other series get anywhere near those numbers.

#66 Posted by Jimbo (9819 posts) -
@GreatMadness said:

@Jimbo said:

@CenturionCajun said:
Just to throw my two cents in Kingdoms of Amalur Reckoning didn't fail. 1.7 million is pretty good for an unknown franchise. Like was said on the Bombcast EA was ready to sign for Reckoning 2. What failed was 38 Studios finances. They were spending millions a month on an MMO they never showed to anyone.
Everybody lost their jobs and the company filed for bankruptcy. By what metric was Amalur a success?

By the metric that was just said. They apparently sold 1.7 million units and I assume turned a profit for EA and Big Huge Games (I can't find actual global sales figures so for the sake of argument we'll say it's correct.) The problem is that Big Huge Games' parent company 38 Studios was pissing money down the drain trying to make Copernicus, and if they did make a profit they promptly sank it into their US taxpayer-funded money hole.

So, to reiterate. Reckoning could well have been a success. Curt Schilling and his MMO were not. To put it another way, if Coca-Cola the company used all its profits to buy the moon and went bankrupt Coke the beverage would still have been successful and profitable.

Not if the whole point in the Coca Cola brand was to support the Moon venture until such a time as they could start monetising the Moon (this is the best analogy ever btw).  That was Amalur's role in the business plan, and the plan failed when Amalur underperformed (I would certainly hope that it underperformed, because the alternative is that nobody over there owns a calculator).
 
Schilling claims it sold 1.2 million copies.  I don't think there's any evidence to suggest Amalur was profitable in its own right.  It clearly wasn't successful at funding the development of the other game.
#67 Posted by WilltheMagicAsian (1546 posts) -

@Klei said:

2M unit for an arcade title is very only reserved to the greatest of them all. I doubt South Park will rank along Fez, Braid and Limbo.

It's retail, not arcade.

#68 Posted by Milkman (16846 posts) -
@Klei

2M unit for an arcade title is very only reserved to the greatest of them all. I doubt South Park will rank along Fez, Braid and Limbo.

It's a retail game.
#69 Posted by OleMarthin (315 posts) -

i know me and most of my friends who play games are planing on picking it up. game looks cool, hopefully it will do well

#70 Posted by Cyrus_Saren (536 posts) -

I'm sure it'll do fine but I know I won't be getting it. I lost interest in South Park years ago and I don't think it's that funny anymore.

#71 Posted by SeriouslyNow (8534 posts) -

@iAmJohn said:

No pressure, guys!

Seriously though, if 2 million is your break-even point, you must be doing something seriously fucking wrong.

Huh? You have any idea how expensive the South Park license is? This is a tentpole game for THQ so they would've payed a ton to secure that license.

#72 Posted by GnomeonFire (752 posts) -

@Oldirtybearon said:

@pyromagnestir said:

@Demoskinos said:

I dont see this being too big a deal. Comedy central plugs the game during nee episodes of south park and profits. I don't see how this can potentially fail.

What if instead of that they make a whole episode of South Park using the game tech somehow... Like a 24 minute game trailer or something. Crazy, I know. But that would be cool, no?

It would be cool, except nobody would be able to tell the difference from the game or the show, considering they've spent a lot of time making sure the game looks 1:1 with the show.

Doubt it took them much time at all actually, considering South Park is made in 3D Maya to begin with, they would just need to optimize and bring the assets into a game engine.

#73 Posted by Klei (1768 posts) -

@Milkman said:

@Klei

2M unit for an arcade title is very only reserved to the greatest of them all. I doubt South Park will rank along Fez, Braid and Limbo.

It's a retail game.

Oh shi my bad. To me it really looked like an arcade title, which says much about its quality haha.

#74 Posted by ArbitraryWater (11796 posts) -

I like Obsidian, despite them being the clean-up crew for everyone else's IP and despite them never having released a game that wasn't broken/unfinished in some capacity. I also still like South Park, ostensibly. But honestly. I couldn't care less about this game and do not see myself paying $60 for it.

#75 Posted by Jimmi (166 posts) -

@TentPole said:

@Dagbiker said:

I know it isnt just me, but I hate all South Park everything.

You either judge things by their cover or have shitty taste. Because if you don't like something I like, then there must be something wrong with you.

I'm with that other dude. The show just irritates me. It's dumb.

Sure, it's culturally relevant and occasionally witty, but is that all you ask for in your television shows?

#76 Posted by TentPole (1858 posts) -

@Jimmi said:

@TentPole said:

@Dagbiker said:

I know it isnt just me, but I hate all South Park everything.

You either judge things by their cover or have shitty taste. Because if you don't like something I like, then there must be something wrong with you.

I'm with that other dude. The show just irritates me. It's dumb.

Sure, it's culturally relevant and occasionally witty, but is that all you ask for in your television shows?

Dumb and witty, you say?

#77 Posted by Grilledcheez (3948 posts) -

I'm buying it

#78 Posted by TheDudeOfGaming (6078 posts) -

@Danteveli said:

I dont think South Park is popular enough to carry 2 million sold. They can hope the quality be there. I'm interested in the product but I wont buy it blindly.

600K views? Not bad. Hell, I'm interested in this and I'm not that big of a South Park fan.

#79 Posted by Jimmi (166 posts) -

@TentPole said:

@Jimmi said:

@TentPole said:

@Dagbiker said:

I know it isnt just me, but I hate all South Park everything.

You either judge things by their cover or have shitty taste. Because if you don't like something I like, then there must be something wrong with you.

I'm with that other dude. The show just irritates me. It's dumb.

Sure, it's culturally relevant and occasionally witty, but is that all you ask for in your television shows?

Dumb and witty, you say?

Yes. It is dumb, but can occasionally be witty. Problem?

#80 Posted by Bourbon_Warrior (4523 posts) -

@Seedofpower: This is a full price game no? If this is like PS1 era JRPG's im keen!

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.