Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

South Park: The Stick of Truth

Game » consists of 13 releases. Released Mar 04, 2014

An Obsidian-developed role-playing game based on the South Park animated TV series, in which players control a new kid in the eponymous town of South Park and takes part in an epic pretend-fantasy story that threatens the entire town.

When are review supposed to hit?

• 77 results
    Barrock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#51  Edited By Barrock

They just showed a video on Comedy Central of a dungeon that takes place in Mr. Slaves ass.

Jensonb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 8

Someone's got to jump the embargo. The game is out.

Sackmanjones

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 5

I've been playin it for about 2 hours. Do far it's really great but humor can change. Hopefully they can keep it up

mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 6

#54  Edited By mike

Works with in-home streaming...I'm streaming it wirelessly to a Macbook and using a wireless Xbox 360 controller that is hooked up to the host machine, but in a different part of the house. THE FUTURE.

This game seems like it's particularly well suited to streaming since it appears to be locked at 30fps.

Steadying

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Oh wow, it got a 9 from IGN.

Avatar image for deactivated-5a4ea8fdbe490
    deactivated-5a4ea8fdbe490

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

IGN gave it a 9.0!

kishinfoulux

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#57  Edited By kishinfoulux

Guess IGN decided embargoes don't apply to them. I'm not shocked.

Oh wow, it got a 9 from IGN.

It's IGN. I'm not surprised.

Steadying

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

TruthTellah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#59  Edited By TruthTellah

8/10 from Destructoid!

Recommends if you like South Park; if you don't, then probably won't enjoy it!!

I don't know why I'm exclaiming that!!!

TruthTellah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Kotaku says "Not Yet" thanks to technical issues and glitches getting in the way of a "great game". Wait until they fix it before purchasing.

Sounds... like reasonable advice.

kishinfoulux

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

5 stars from Alex huh? Kind of shocked by the scores honestly. Always got the impression that Southpark was done and people were over it.

Steadying

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#62  Edited By Steadying

5 from Alex!

octaslash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@kishinfoulux: The game has been released and is available for purchase. Usually publications don't give a fuck about embargoes that are lifted AFTER the game comes out.

kishinfoulux

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#64  Edited By kishinfoulux

@kishinfoulux: The game has been released and is available for purchase. Usually publications don't give a fuck about embargoes that are lifted AFTER the game comes out.

They were the only one who did it. And gave it a great score/review. That Ubisoft check cleared I guess.

octaslash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@kishinfoulux: I guess their check to Giant Bomb just cleared too.

bigjeffrey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

great scores, my body is ready

No Caption Provided

TruthTellah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

About 12-13 hours? Sounds alright. Long enough to feel like something substantial but not long enough to get sick of it.

I'm not a big South Park fan, but I'm glad the game appears to be good for the average fan.

(also, it sounds like the PC release is the way to go right now. The console versions are apparently pretty framey)

TruthTellah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Polygon gave it a 8.5.

So, seems pretty common praise. Though, I do keep hearing the sentiment that it's a good game that needs some fixing. Polygon couldn't even finish it without the developer stepping in to get them past a glitch. Maybe the day 1 patch will be enough for most people.

I found their roundup of some bugs from other reviewers interesting:

Bugs

When I ran into a save issue while playing the game, I started talking to other reviewers and journalists with access to The Stick of Truth about what they’d experienced while playing. Here’s a collected summary:

Ben Kuchera, Polygon (PC): A glitch where he was unable to unequip his bow-and-arrow, disappearing character models.

Jim Sterling, The Escapist (PC): A bug with executing a buddy command that temporarily halted progress.

Adam Rosenberg, Digital Trends (PC): Two game-breaking moments where boss fights didn’t trigger properly.

Jason Schreier, Kotaku (360): Frame hitches, animation glitches and music dropouts.

Mitch Dyer, IGN (PS3): Poor framerate.

Though there were no shortage of issues, most agreed that the bugs didn’t hamper their overall experience. That said, whenever a game has such widespread and disparate problems, it’s a worrying indicator that there might be more serious issues that appear when the game is rolled out to a larger audience.

kishinfoulux

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#69  Edited By kishinfoulux

Giant Bomb didn't post their review until the designated time. Only a few minutes, but it's still a thing. I think that's shitty.

Polygon gave it a 8.5.

So, seems pretty common praise. Though, I do keep hearing the sentiment that it's a good game that needs some fixing. Polygon couldn't even finish it without the developer stepping in to get them past a glitch. Maybe the day 1 patch will be enough for most people.

Bugs

When I ran into a save issue while playing the game, I started talking to other reviewers and journalists with access to The Stick of Truth about what they’d experienced while playing. Here’s a collected summary:

Ben Kuchera, Polygon (PC): A glitch where he was unable to unequip his bow-and-arrow, disappearing character models.

Jim Sterling, The Escapist (PC): A bug with executing a buddy command that temporarily halted progress.

Adam Rosenberg, Digital Trends (PC): Two game-breaking moments where boss fights didn’t trigger properly.

Jason Schreier, Kotaku (360): Frame hitches, animation glitches and music dropouts.

Though there were no shortage of issues, most agreed that the bugs didn’t hamper their overall experience. That said, whenever a game has such widespread and disparate problems, it’s a worrying indicator that there might be more serious issues that appear when the game is rolled out to a larger audience.

Full of glitches. 9/10.

AndrewB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 16

So Obsidian makes good games riddled with technical problems?

I guess at least they're keeping up a pattern.

TruthTellah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#71  Edited By TruthTellah

@kishinfoulux said:

@octaslash said:

Giant Bomb didn't post their review until the designated time. Only a few minutes, but it's still a thing. I think that's shitty.

@truthtellah said:

Polygon gave it a 8.5.

Bugs

Full of glitches. 9/10.

heh. You're a pretty salty dude, kishin.

At least the game is apparently good once you get past the technical issues. PC seems to be the best bet.

DonMFJohnson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Damn you European release schedule, I'll have to wait until Friday.

fattony12000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 6

So far in the first 60-90 minutes of the Steam version I encountered two instances in combat where I had to force quit the game and ended up losing a little progress. In both instances it was after blocking attacks and before I was able to counterattack, the game just hangs.

kishinfoulux

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@kishinfoulux said:

@octaslash said:

@truthtellah said:

Polygon gave it a 8.5.

Bugs

Full of glitches. 9/10.

heh. You're a pretty salty dude, kishin.

At least the game is apparently good once you get past the technical issues. PC seems to be the best bet.

That embargo stuff just pisses me off. As for the reviews glad it turned out well, but like I said just odd that there are so many glitches (well not odd when you consider who made it) and it's still receiving high scores. It's why I can't take reviews seriously.

Darji

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#76  Edited By Darji
    amafi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#77  Edited By amafi

@devitiffany: Wouldn't really make sense in the context of the show, the boys and girls don't play together much.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.