Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Space Station 13

Game » consists of 0 releases. Released February 2003

Space Station 13 is a multiplayer role-playing game, set aboard a space station during the shift where everything goes wrong.

Space Station 13 is the best game you've never heard of...

SamStrife

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By SamStrife

"Good work, mime.”

Despite 60+ crew members, there was a distinct lack of security on the payroll and after writing on a piece of paper (he was a mime, after all) he managed to convince both the head of personnel and security to enlist him.It started out simply enough, a humble mime boarding the NSS Cyberiad looking to entertain the sleep deprived crew whilst they go about their daily business, who are in constant danger from traitors amongst the ranks, changelings, vampires, space anomalies, Syndicate operatives, nuclear strike teams, alien infestations, space vines, power mad security, fires, wet floors, cultists, slimes, rogue A.I.s…..there’s a lot of ways to die in space.

Walking through the corridors he found his first criminal, a saw wielding maniac trying to cut a girl up. Not a problem for Officer Mime, a flashbang a a pair of handcuffs later the perpetrator was being dragged to the brig kicking and screaming, “Why won’t you talk to me and tell me what I’ve done!?”.

Officer Mime was rewarded, Officer Mime was on the up.

Before he could relish in his newfound role however, the armoury blew up and in poured syndicate operatives hell bent on destroying the station and all those who called it home. After a long and drawn out battle, Officer Mime managed to escape on the emergency shuttle...maybe the next station he embarks on won’t end like this...oh who’s he kidding, they all end like this.

Space Station 13 is insane. INSANE! It’s a role playing game in the truest sense of the term. Imagine Velvet Sundown with 60-100+ players on a server, with systems so deep, even hardcore Rogue-like players will be overwhelmed.

Pictured: A security officer aids the detective in their mission to find up who blew up the medbay whilst a clown questions the ship's chaplain on his religious beliefs...
    Pictured: A security officer aids the detective in their mission to find up who blew up the medbay whilst a clown questions the ship's chaplain on his religious beliefs...

With a surprisingly deep history of development, the game is open source now, where players are free to edit pretty much any aspect of the game they desire. Different servers are all running off different, custom code that offers something unique every time they play.

There isn’t a job on the giant space station it’s set on that isn’t important; the people in robotics can’t build mechs if cargo doesn’t order them from central communication, the doctors can’t cure anyone if the technicians can’t work out why there’s no power to medbay...ghetto surgery with wire cutters never works as well as you’d hope.

Xynobiology once again spirals out of control. For those who can't tell, the aliens have taken over. Game over man.
    Xynobiology once again spirals out of control. For those who can't tell, the aliens have taken over. Game over man.

What makes the game special is that every job has more systems to learn than most games do. They’re deep, challenging, rewarding and filled with hidden goodies to find. Botany can grow plant people under the right conditions, chemists can make the most insane drugs you’ll ever see in a video game, janitors can use chemical spraying guns for maximum efficiency, the clown can...urghhhhtheclown.

This, of course, makes the game incredibly difficult to learn. To it’s credit, once you understand its internal logic, it all starts to make sense...it’s just not very apparent what that logic is when you first log on. It uses a 2 hand system where, as a player, it’s required that you’re aware of what’s in your hands at all times...and what hand you have active. When starting out, it’s far too easy to take a zippo lighter to someone’s eyes when all you meant to do was pick them up off the floor.

It’s not exactly a looker either. All these systems come at the cost of any sort of animation, where all the action takes place on a simple graphical window whilst the player is bombarded by descriptive text (and chat) on the right hand side. This often leads it to be frustrating, especially in combat where it can be near impossible to hit your target correctly. It takes practice and does come together after a while...but the game is more about outsmarting and out roleplaying your opponents than beating them in a straight up fight.

Once you get past the initial hump though, it’s an experience that no other game can come close to touching upon. The player base is passionate about role playing and when everything clicks into place, you’re left with a round of a video game that takes about an hour but lasts forever.Finally, the game runs in a bit of a ghetto launcher. Using the BYOND platform of freeware games, there servers are kept afloat by running an advert whilst you connect to the game. This has never bothered me but I have had people get a bit paranoid and scared off by the launcher...their loss, I suppose.

This ended about as horrifically as you would expect it to.
    This ended about as horrifically as you would expect it to.

Over at the gaming Hub, we've really started to get into the game and every Sunday evening we’re getting a small group of people together and playing an in house game. It’s devilishly fun but we’re always looking for more people to make it better.

I appreciate this game is not for everyone but if you've read this and feel like it’s for you, then please drop on over to our mumble and ask us about the game. We’re happy to fire up the server and teach you the ropes which gives you the best opportunity to get into the game (the documentation out there is good but not great) and it brings in another player for our in house games, it’s a win/win.

Thank you so much for reading this, we hope to see you on the station soon.

OH YEAH! I forgot to mention...you get the game here!

meatsofevil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I STILL haven't tried this out, even after hearing the praise you've been giving it for an amount of weeks now. I hope I can get some time to play with you guys soon.

Thanks for writing this up, definitely gave me a better idea of what is so rad about this crazy game.

CheapPoison

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Weird, cause I remember hearing about it.

deathfury

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

SS13 is perhaps the greatest multiplayer game of all time.

Bollard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 12

#5  Edited By Bollard

I can totally see the appeal, but last time I played with you guys the game just felt super overwhelming. Not sure what to do and being afraid of doing anything is a bad combination!

That said those clown videos have made me very confused and intrigued.

sumbog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Some random dude came onto my teamspeak channel (somehow) and started talking to me about games, he told me that this game was pretty sweet. I totally forgot about it since then, but I will have to check it out.

Corevi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

It's basically Dwarf Fortress if you were controlling a single dwarf. It's great.

Avatar image for connerthekewlkid
    connerthekewlkid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Loading Video...

Space Station 13 has always been dumb in the best possible ways

BluPotato

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By BluPotato

This game would be so cool but the couple of times I've tried playing it I've struggled with the terrible sluggish interface. Someone needs to build this with a on a new platform outside the terrible BYOND engine.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e60061752a57
    deactivated-5e60061752a57

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I may need to...look into this.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

@samstrife: I remember playing this years ago and it was a ton of fun. Always wondered how much better it would be if you actually put it in a decent engine with some moderately eye pleasing graphics and a proper netcode. Maybe one day!

roughneck117

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By roughneck117

@samstrife: Youre lying to me, why must you lie to me you lying hedgehog.

SamStrife

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@blupotato: Yeah, the interface can be a bit unresponsive at times. In fairness, the servers have really improved their code over the last year or so and it's not nearly as bad as it was.

@cheappoison: The original title was "best game you've probably never heard" of but character limit prevented this :(

hero_swe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Neat to see an SS13 post on Giantbomb. Maybe we could get a whole station filled with bombers

Wait...Hmmmm

Pie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

I played this for like an hour because damn @sully was getting all into it. It was pretty much a nightmare! Cool that stuff like this exists though

TruthTellah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#16  Edited By TruthTellah

Ah yes, I remember this game from a comic a while back. (6 years ago)

No Caption Provided

whitegreyblack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@hero_swe said:

Maybe we could get a whole station filled with bombers

Somewhere at the NSA, an alert just popped up on someone's monitor.

I think I would be completely on-board with playing this game with some duders.

scrappypixels

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'd be up for this, just giving it a whirl now.

audioBusting

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 26

I've heard of this game before, maybe I'll finally give it a shot! Is it OK if I drop into Mumble without a mic?

mikemcn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 8

#20  Edited By mikemcn

@pie: Oh it's a nightmare alright.

I played a ton on the something awful server and found them to be true to their name, but it was a great concept, I never succeeded in winning as the bad guy though.

I could be persuaded to rejoin though, it really sucked me in initially, the community just turned me off. The GB duders would be a much better playerbase.

SamStrife

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I've heard of this game before, maybe I'll finally give it a shot! Is it OK if I drop into Mumble without a mic?

Absolutely fine duder, look forward to playing with ya :)

@mikemcn: Oh man, the Something Awful guys and their Goon Station is not the place to play this game....it's like the Wild West. Last time I logged onto their server there was like a group of 4 people just waiting for new arrivals so they could grab them and beat the hell out of them with batons...

Every other server is absolutely fine though.

Sinusoidal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I just spent about two hours first trying to get the BYOND loader working, and then trying to figure what to do in this game once I finally got attached to a server and then almost immediately spaced myself. Maybe I'll come back to it later.

SamStrife

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sinusoidal: Haha, I think that's what happens to everyone the first time the play. If you're legitimately interested still, we can help you learn. It really is the best way.

hero_swe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Did anything ever happen @samstrife I sort of had to get busy with real life so I forgot about this. Still hype for it

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.