Best story in a game this year?

• 62 results
#51 Edited by Jeust (10334 posts) -

Silent Hill Downpour has the best story in a game for me this year, as good as the fist Silent Hill games.

#52 Posted by kishinfoulux (2077 posts) -

So as a counter point to all the praise Spec Ops gets for its story I present this. Mind you I like the story, but its always good to get both sides.

#53 Posted by Winternet (7936 posts) -

The story is just ok, but Spec Ops The Line narrative is pretty cool. And so is Captain Walker.

#54 Posted by JasonR86 (9372 posts) -

Not even close. It was a neat story but there were a lot of problems with it. There were a lot of twists that felt like they came out of nowhere. The hanging guys come to mind. There's just a lot of vagueness that is meant to make the story feel disjointed intentionally but it just makes the story feel rough.

#55 Posted by NoRemnants (378 posts) -

If it weren't for The Walking dead this would be the best by far.

#56 Posted by CoolMarquis97 (8 posts) -

Yeah for me I'd have to say that this game had story of the year.

#57 Posted by ImmortalSaiyan (4655 posts) -

Top 5.

#58 Posted by Ubersmake (753 posts) -

I'm torn about Spec Ops. By itself, I thought it told a good story, and I certainly appreciate what the developers tried to do with its narrative. But having read Heart of Darkness and seen Apocalypse Now, a lot of the impact was probably lost on me. Right from the beginning, I knew where that story was going to take me. I knew I was going to go down a long, dark road, and that there would be no "good" ending at the end of the journey. I'm still glad I took it, so I guess this is the part where I encourage people who haven't read Heart of Darkness to read that story.

Seriously, read it. It's sort of the equivalent of playing a lot of cyberpunk games from the late 90s and early 00s and never having watched Blade Runner. And then watching Blade Runner. The experiences are different, sure, but it becomes so clear how one work inspired all the other works that came after it.

#59 Posted by mordukai (7092 posts) -
#60 Posted by SoldierG654342 (1681 posts) -

Everything about Spec Ops's story is pretty great except the twist. The big reveal damn near unravels the rest of the game.

#61 Posted by Psykhophear (932 posts) -

@ascholzk said:

I haven't played The Line yet, but for me I'd say The Walking Dead is my favorite story this year so far. Even though there are more episodes coming, the incredibly emotional character moments and moral narrative choices really affected me. I think The Darkness 2 and Journey had very good stories too.

I'm with you on that. Never did a game made me feel so engaged with the story as much as The Walking Dead. The decision-making bit was so much fun and the plot was so well written, so well scripted that I couldn't stop playing all the episodes from beginning to end. The ending made my eyes watery. You should consider playing The Walking Dead @AssInAss . That to me is THE BEST storyline in gaming of 2012.

#62 Posted by EXTomar (4122 posts) -

The "Best X in a game this year?" is always a terrible question.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.