is Spec Ops: The Line part of a series?

#1 Edited by living4theday258 (679 posts) -

while browsing through the psn marketplace i found something like 6 games titles spec ops: (random title here)

so is Spec Ops: The Line apart of a series?

EDIT: also if i just made a fool of myself sorry :/

#2 Posted by MikeGosot (3227 posts) -

Yes. The Spec Ops series.

#3 Posted by living4theday258 (679 posts) -

@MikeGosot: so a bunch of ps1 spec ops games are related to this game? cool.

#4 Posted by MikeGosot (3227 posts) -
@living4theday258 said:

Yeah, they have more details about them in the wiki, if you're interested. I didn't know it was part of a series too.
#5 Posted by The_Laughing_Man (13629 posts) -
@living4theday258 said:

Franchise really. 
#6 Posted by Barrabas (326 posts) -

@living4theday258: I'm pretty sure they're related in name only. Don't expect some sort of cohesive story between those and the new one.

#7 Posted by living4theday258 (679 posts) -

@Barrabas: yea i didn't plan on buying them unless they're like $1.99 or less. i just find it interesting that they share a name.

#8 Posted by AjayRaz (12476 posts) -

i didn't even know this either. i thought it was just a generic title

#9 Posted by Dagbiker (6978 posts) -

I also think they were all pretty different from each other. If I remember correctly there was a more stealth oriented one, and so on.

#10 Posted by CornBREDX (5990 posts) -

They were also really bad. I don't recommend the PS1 ones.

But ya, it's a franchise. One that has been dead since PS1 I believe, and rightfully so. They never did anything particularly well and were not fun to play. That's actually why I found this one intriguing when I first heard about it in 2010. They were giving a story to a previously lifeless corpse. I found that kind of odd.

I really like what Yager did with it, though. Rather then aping Call of Duty they did their own thing. They could have easily played it safe, but they didn't. It's also interesting the license holders were ok with it, but then again the franchise was dead and never did anything worth remembering. This one, at least, will be remembered.

#11 Posted by Klei (1768 posts) -

the '' Spec Ops '' part is the only thing that is really wrong with the game. It should have been called '' The Line '' and that's it.

#12 Posted by Hailinel (25205 posts) -
@living4theday258

while browsing through the psn marketplace i found something like 6 games titles spec ops: (random title here)

so is Spec Ops: The Line apart of a series?

EDIT: also if i just made a fool of myself sorry :/

Nothing to feel foolish about. Not many people remember the old Spec Ops games very well.
#13 Posted by Demoskinos (15143 posts) -

I remember them because I played a few of them. And they were AWFUL.

#14 Posted by fisk0 (4480 posts) -

I've only played the first game in the series that was released on PC back in ... 97 I think? Was pretty good looking for the time, but was much more in the vein of Ghost Recon or something like that, good modern military third person shooters with some stealth and squad stuff, but really not story heavy, apart from standard fare jingoistic stuff with no shades of grey. So, other than the third person view, controlling a group of 3 soldiers and shooting up supply trucks, there's little relation to the other games. If not the PS1 exclusives were much different than the PC game I played.

#15 Posted by falserelic (5407 posts) -

I had the first 1 on PlayStation it was alright. But I've never beaten the game it got annoying at times.

#16 Edited by NTM (7542 posts) -

Yes, and they suck. Also, they're so forgettable, I didn't even know it was in the same series, and I have one on the PS.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.