Really impressive

#1 Posted by ShalashaskaUK666 (529 posts) -

That was my constant thought throughout the entire demo! Great graphics, very solid controls with satisfying shooting, and 3 awesome characters!

There's lots of hints at a much wider more intricate story than just the average 'evil-dude-called-Ahmed-takes-over-the-world' schtick. Setting the game in Dubai is a really cool idea, and I'm guessing the dev team will have SOME level where the gargantuan Burj Khalifa building is put to good use!

I even thought good ol' Nolan North wasn't too 'Drakey' which he can sometimes be!

Overall a brilliant game, with a VERY lengthy demo giving a pretty great taste of the way the game is gonna play. I knew nothing about this going in apart from some 'buzz' about the sand mechanics, and I came away really wanting to know more about the story and characters!

Anyone else really looking forward to it now?

#2 Posted by GeekDown (1170 posts) -

I thought it seemed alright. I have been looking forward too it, but it's just very Gears of War like when it comes to it's gameplay. That's not really a bad thing as long as the story's actually interesting and good. I'll still play it, but I won't buy it on day one.

#3 Posted by Commisar123 (1793 posts) -

Nope, story seemed fine and those characters were not horrible, but otherwise it was exactly what I expected it to be. The gameplay in particular was problematic as the game was super easy, to the point that it was boring.

#4 Posted by Cloudenvy (5891 posts) -

@Commisar123 said:

Nope, story seemed fine and those characters were not horrible, but otherwise it was exactly what I expected it to be. The gameplay in particular was problematic as the game was super easy, to the point that it was boring.

Well, if easy is its biggest problem then that's good.

*flashback to closed beta*

*shudders*

#5 Posted by thedj93 (1237 posts) -

yeah it was very easy, but i could see the combat being more interesting later on. 

probably wishful thinking on my part, but yeah, I loved shooting dudes while alice in chains was playing the background that was pretty cool

#6 Posted by MikeGosot (3227 posts) -

It was cool.

#7 Posted by ShalashaskaUK666 (529 posts) -

I thought it was just right, I died a couple times near the start from the RPG guy on the wing of the plane, and again on the second level at one point where I got flanked!

Control-wise it is VERY Gears, but I think if you take that formula and do something good with it, its okay! :D

#8 Edited by Yummylee (21789 posts) -

The demo makes it come across as being aggressively average. It's all riding on its story, which is naturally too early to judge, but based on the demo I wasn't so much impressed as I was.. indifferent. Yeah, another military-themed cover-based shooter with a cast of jarheads - one of which being Nolan North who began the demo with a southern american accent only to lose as soon as the game started.

I feel like it'll reside within the same sort of category as Binary Domain. Intriguing story and (hopefully) characters that'll manage to outweigh the generic gameplay. Also there'll be some tacked on multiplayer to keep you busy for an extra hour or two.

#9 Posted by SadPatrol (500 posts) -

I shall download the demo tonight. This game kinda went under my radar

#10 Posted by DeF (4904 posts) -

@Commisar123 said:

so what stops you form just turning up the difficulty in the final game? I've never come across a demo that was "hard".

#11 Posted by RandomInternetUser (6789 posts) -

Not something I'll pay full price for, but I'll pick it up later on when I find it for 20 bucks or less.

#12 Posted by MikeGosot (3227 posts) -
@Yummylee said:

I feel like it'll reside within the same sort of category as Binary Domain.

So you mean it's incredibly amazing?
#13 Posted by Yummylee (21789 posts) -

@MikeGosot said:

@Yummylee said:

Binary Domain wasn't even regular-ass amazing, let alone incredibly amazing. It had some neat characters and the shooting was pretty fun for the first 4-5 hours, but otherwise it was nothing special. The story during the final chapter took such a backflip as well and become so stupid. All of the character's motivations didn't fit, and the way your CO transmorphed into a Bond villain felt like such a cop-out. Along with the Bo betrayal.

#14 Posted by MikeGosot (3227 posts) -
@Yummylee said:

@MikeGosot said:

@Yummylee said:

Binary Domain wasn't even regular-ass amazing, let alone incredibly amazing. It had some neat characters and the shooting was pretty fun for the first 4-5 hours, but otherwise it was nothing special. The story during the final chapter took such a backflip as well and become so stupid. All of the character's motivations didn't fit, and the way your CO transmorphed into a Bond villain felt like such a cop-out. Along with the Bo betrayal.

#15 Posted by Eaxis (928 posts) -

I did not enjoy it. Story didn't do it for me. Average shooting mechanics, and I didn't get the impression that sand did anything more than there being certain points highlighted to shoot.

#16 Edited by Yummylee (21789 posts) -

@MikeGosot said:

@Yummylee said:

@MikeGosot said:

@Yummylee said:

Bo's betrayal only happens if your Trust Meter is not high enough with Mr. Bo. I agree that the story became incredibly convoluted(Is that the word? I don't feel like checking now.) at the end, and some people could find the boss battles pretty long and the Squad Mechanics may seem superficial, BUUUUUT, for me, the Boss Battles were amazing and intense. The Squad Mechanic wasn't deep, but it was a nice touch. And i liked the story. Yeah, opinions.
Also, your name changed, omfg.

That's another thing as well; because for me personally it was nigh impossible to get the headset commands to work, I wasn't able to build up that camaraderie with my team during battle and get dat bonus friendship. I don't think I actually got anyone up to maximum; especially during the moments when I would still try and get the headset to work and it wouldn't register what I said and would select the douche dialogue choice - or wouldn't be able to detect anything I said and instead the dialogue option would disappear because of me taking so long. Plus the options were strange anywhoo; often just a load of 'yeah's' and 'no's', and they barely conveyed much of a response to what would be some involved conversations on the other person's side.

I'm not in any rush to play through again either since the gameplay ran its course long before the game finished; no sort of unlockables, like costumes or weapons or anything, don't incentivise me to play through again to try and aim for a better ending either. Also wtf was the deal with Kurosawa??? Does he always disappear completely from the story?? I mean it's not like you get him for very long in your squad to even build up your friendship in the first place, so his entire role within the story felt utterly pointless. Unless there was something I missed?

EDIT: Also while the scale of the boss battles was impressive, they really do go on forever, and speaking for the ps3 version, suffer some really nasty framerate issues as wel.

#17 Posted by artgarcrunkle (970 posts) -

No wonder mediocre games do so well.

#18 Posted by MikeGosot (3227 posts) -
@Yummylee: Yeah, the headset and Kurosawa ere shit. In that, i agree with you. But you CAN maximize your trust with Kurosawa. Just get a lot of headshots. 
The lack of unlockables is sad too. I wish that the developers killed the multiplayer part and add some unlockables instead.
And the only boss that i found that took too long was the Road Guy.
#19 Posted by DreDavis (36 posts) -

The Line appeared to me as a generic third person shooter with an interesting setting and possibly a great atmosphere. After playing the demo I have to say that it seems like a damn fine generic third person shooter with an interesting setting and possibly a great atmosphere. I really did enjoy it. The gameplay was sharp, graphics looked good, the dialog was worth listening to, and I loved that enemies took only a few hits before going down. Also, I have to note that the demo was surprisingly lengthy, you don't see demos as long as that anymore.

#20 Posted by ShalashaskaUK666 (529 posts) -

Definitely have to commend them for the length of the demo! Loads of games these days have tiny demos, for example I'd be way more excited about Dragons Dogma if I could play more than 10 minutes of it! :D

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.