Spec Ops: The Line Gets Pushed Way Back, While BioShock: Infinite Remains '2012'--Oh, And XCOM

• 72 results
Posted by patrickklepek (3479 posts) -

It's been a long time since 2K Games talked about Spec Ops: The Line, following its sand-filled E3 debut. There's apparently good reason for that: you're not going to be playing the game anytime soon.

The news comes via an updated release schedule released by parent company Take-Two Interactive.

Take-Two now lists the game as coming in the first half of fiscal 2013. 2013! Today, Take-Two is talking about its financial results for fiscal 2011 and expectations for fiscal 2012. That means Spec Ops: The Line won't be arriving until at least sometime after March 31, 2012. It's a substantial delay.

As the Internet is ablaze with new impressions of BioShock: Infinite, it's worth reporting how the game's being positioned release-wise--but Take-Two isn't saying much, sadly. Take-Two is only promising BioShock: Infinite in "calendar year 2012," which means basically anytime next year.

XCOM is a little more specific, with Take-Two expecting to release that one before March 31, 2012.

Max Payne 3, expected to be the next project from Rockstar Games, is not listed. However, Rockstar Games productions are not typically listed on Take-Two release schedules, so its fate is unknown.

Staff
#1 Posted by patrickklepek (3479 posts) -

It's been a long time since 2K Games talked about Spec Ops: The Line, following its sand-filled E3 debut. There's apparently good reason for that: you're not going to be playing the game anytime soon.

The news comes via an updated release schedule released by parent company Take-Two Interactive.

Take-Two now lists the game as coming in the first half of fiscal 2013. 2013! Today, Take-Two is talking about its financial results for fiscal 2011 and expectations for fiscal 2012. That means Spec Ops: The Line won't be arriving until at least sometime after March 31, 2012. It's a substantial delay.

As the Internet is ablaze with new impressions of BioShock: Infinite, it's worth reporting how the game's being positioned release-wise--but Take-Two isn't saying much, sadly. Take-Two is only promising BioShock: Infinite in "calendar year 2012," which means basically anytime next year.

XCOM is a little more specific, with Take-Two expecting to release that one before March 31, 2012.

Max Payne 3, expected to be the next project from Rockstar Games, is not listed. However, Rockstar Games productions are not typically listed on Take-Two release schedules, so its fate is unknown.

Staff
#2 Posted by Gerhabio (1977 posts) -

Bio now!

#3 Posted by Thoseposers (781 posts) -

=O

#4 Posted by Ooblix (32 posts) -

Some games coming out.

#5 Posted by Cyrus_Saren (530 posts) -

Shame that Bioshock: Infinite is so far away from release but I'm sure it's gonna be well worth the wait.
#6 Posted by skyline7284 (503 posts) -

I've been in the Beta for Spec-ops for like... 6 months now... i should check it out again.
#7 Posted by Cirdain (2996 posts) -

!!! Spec Ops needs to be quite good now....

oh right those next gen consoles... Ok. I think something big will occur in 2013.

#8 Posted by Artie (690 posts) -

Man what the hell. I saw Spec Ops at E3 last year and it looked all right. Maybe a little generic but a two year delay? Madness.

#9 Posted by Cirdain (2996 posts) -
@skyline7284: Please give us a heads up if you find anything.
#10 Posted by louiedog (2335 posts) -

I have a friend who played the beta months ago and can't talk about it. I can't believe it's still not coming out for another 2 years.

#11 Posted by ThePhantomnaut (6186 posts) -

I remember playing the Spec Ops beta... Not good at all.

#12 Posted by darth_infamous (6 posts) -

That is one of the most appropriate exclamation points ever.

#13 Posted by airules (128 posts) -

I'd put good money on this being next gen. 
Transferring the assets or if nothing else just waiting for a better platform for the scope of the thing makes pretty good sense of the delay

#14 Posted by Pysk (20 posts) -

Where is XCOM?

#15 Posted by Nadafinga (957 posts) -

It's one thing for a game to be delayed a few months so that it can get some additional polish, but Spec Ops just rocketed past that and seems like it's just sitting in development hell now.

#16 Posted by MmmSkyscraper (312 posts) -

2013? We'll be on Rapture 6.0 by then.

#17 Posted by Cirdain (2996 posts) -
@airules said:
I'd put good money on this being next gen. Transferring the assets or if nothing else just waiting for a better platform for the scope of the thing makes pretty good sense of the delay
Agreed. 2013 next-gen consoles.
#18 Posted by Chris2KLee (2329 posts) -

The previews for Spec Ops: The Line never gave me a feel for what made the game special. Something tells me the developers are having the same feeling.

#19 Posted by Catarrhal (820 posts) -

Damn, Spec Ops: The Line was originally slated for November 2010, I think!

#20 Posted by Philzpilz (225 posts) -

I literally was just looking this up. As in, scrolled from the wikipedia article back to giantbomb.

This game is taking aaaaaaaaaaaaaaages

#21 Posted by NissanSkyline (106 posts) -

OMG, how they can be so fucking slow? Uncharted 2 was made in 2 years. Whats the point in showing game in fucking 2009 and then delay it for two fuckiong years. I hope it FAILS, gonna cancel my preorder now.

#22 Posted by Cirdain (2996 posts) -
@nissanskyline said:
OMG, how they can be so fucking slow? Uncharted 2 was made in 2 years. Whats the point in showing game in fucking 2009 and then delay it for two fuckiong years. I hope it FAILS, gonna cancel my preorder now.
next-gen consoles.....
#23 Posted by mordukai (7138 posts) -

Watch as this game gets canceled. 

#24 Posted by Metal_Mills (2980 posts) -
@Cirdain said:
@nissanskyline said:
next-gen consoles.....
That's a pretty miserable looking next-gen game.
#25 Posted by KillerFly (396 posts) -

What the hell are they doing with Spec Ops? Are they rebuilding it from the ground up?

#26 Posted by Enigma777 (6057 posts) -
@Mordukai said:
Watch as this game gets canceled. 

I hope not. It looked like it had a lot of promise.
#27 Posted by skyline7284 (503 posts) -
@Cirdain
 Yeah i just checked.. Beta's broken, just signs me out of xbox live, and can't connect within the beta..  Bummer i actually enjoyed parts of it.  It was rough around the edges, but still a lot of neat ideas.
#28 Posted by NissanSkyline (106 posts) -

xcom  before March 31, 2012? Yeah, sounds not bad considering their super-speed in making games. But actually its coming in 2014, you'll see.

#29 Posted by GeekDown (1170 posts) -

This sucks. I was really looking forward to it.

#30 Edited by boku (33 posts) -
SpecOps... delayed... 2013!
Hey guys...  what the fuck?!
#31 Posted by Evilsbane (4541 posts) -

Jesus, they shouldn't have talked about this game or given the impression of it being so far along, thats fucking retardly far out.

#32 Posted by Jimbo (9775 posts) -

Greg will have finished Bastion 2 by then.

XCOM by the end of the year maybe?

#33 Posted by allenibrahim (377 posts) -

GOD DAMN that is a huuuuuge delay. The game looked like it was a thing back in 2009! There was a playable demo, wasn't there? Did somebody steal half of their data or something? Is it 100 hours long? I don't....wow. I'm speechless.

#34 Posted by Sammo21 (3212 posts) -

Spec Ops lol

#35 Posted by solidlife (877 posts) -

MP3 2014!

#36 Posted by canucks23 (1087 posts) -
@nissanskyline said:
Take into consideration that uncharted is made by one of the most talented dev teams out there, and spec ops isn't. The game probably sucked so they might've restarted a bunch of stuff.
#37 Posted by StingerMK2 (386 posts) -

im REALLY looking forward to XCOM, i hope it doesn't get pushed much further back

#38 Posted by ArbitraryWater (11484 posts) -

Wow. That's a large delay. Something clearly has gone wrong in regards to the development of Spec Ops if it's not going to come out until mid 2012 at the very least.

#39 Posted by TheHBK (5463 posts) -

I see game companies as big pussies now.  Lots of them will not release a game just to get away from the holiday window and wont say anything.  They arent maximizing sales, they are killing them because guess what, good games still come out in the early part of the year now and they aren't these bitch titles too afraid to come out or give a release date.

#40 Posted by Jimbo (9775 posts) -

I doubt they're gonna next-gen it.  FY2013 doesn't mean 2013.

#41 Posted by whatisdelicious (1197 posts) -
@nissanskyline said:
You hope it fails because it's getting hit with delays? Okay. I mean, or you could hope that the delays are worth it and it comes out and is actually totally awesome, but sure, whatever.
#42 Posted by sleeprockss (200 posts) -

I played the Spec Ops beta and that seemed like a early build but it was still fun. I'm surprised it's getting pushed back again.

#43 Posted by whatisdelicious (1197 posts) -

The craziest part of all this is that Greg Kasavin was on Spec Ops, then left Spec Ops, helped found an indie game company, and will probably have their game come out before Spec Ops can.

#44 Posted by umdesch4 (772 posts) -

Almost sounds like they're pitching for the next legendary release delay, now that the Duke is finally going to arrive.

#45 Posted by Klei (1768 posts) -

The only thing that was cool about Spec Ops was that Greg Kasavin used to work on it.

#46 Posted by MisterMouse (3540 posts) -

man 2013 that is crazy far away... but not really.

#47 Posted by Stonyman65 (2596 posts) -

I'm now waiting for Spec Ops: Forever.   

Take that Duke! 

#48 Posted by buft (3301 posts) -

well doesnt look like im going to get my hands on xcom or spec ops, world ending and all that.

#49 Posted by xMP44x (2193 posts) -

I liked the concept of Spec Ops: The Line, but hopefully the time is used to polish the game some more. The beta was quite enjoyable but it definitely could have been further improved. I welcomed another third person shooter to the fold though seeing as it's a less common genre than ever now.

#50 Posted by dastly75 (112 posts) -

I was in the closed beta and honestly they should just scrap Spec Ops.  It was unpolished sure but it had nothing to distinguish itself from the glut of shooters out there. 

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.