Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Spec Ops: The Line

Game » consists of 11 releases. Released Jun 26, 2012

Spec Ops: The Line is a narrative-driven modern military third-person shooter set in Dubai during the aftermath of a series of destructive sandstorms.

Tom Bissell article on The Line and shooters

KirePDX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By KirePDX

I actually still haven't played Spec Ops yet, but at this point, given the conversations happening around it, I need to give up on finding a good sale and just pay the full price. It seems like it might actually be worth it.

Anyway, despite not playing the game yet, I did enjoy Tom Bissell's piece on it on Grantland.com and wanted to make sure others had a chance to read it: http://www.grantland.com/story/_/id/8157257/line-explores-reasons-why-play-shooter-games

I'm a huge fan of Bissell, and while this isn't his best writing, it's still very good and inspired me to finally bite the bullet on getting the game. I like that there is something out that is inspiring these conversations, especially in a genre that is so generic. Looking from the outside-in on it right now, I can't tell if it's right to call the game 'subversive' (in the best possible way), but there does seem to be something unique about it and what it's trying to do.

Hell, even the fact that it's just 'trying' is enough to make it interesting.

Also, this article is what makes me actually interested in playing the new Gears game since Bissell is writing it.

iamjohn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#2  Edited By iamjohn

@KirePDX said:

Also, this article is what makes me actually interested in playing the new Gears game since Bissell is writing it.

Wait, seriously?

KirePDX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By KirePDX

I was already more interested in the game when I learned he was attached to it (and completely uninterested prior to that), but definitely, if the writer of the game has this kind of perspective on story and writing in games, and is as ambitious as Bissell is, then I am absolutely more interested in playing it.

The most boring thing in the world would be if Judgement's writer was someone who said that shooters have great stories and he wants to continue that trend. It's far more exciting for the guy to say that current stories are lacking, acknowledge the dissonance between providing a storyline and dealing with interactivity that is primarily limited to picking when/what to shoot.

Regardless of the story, though, the gameplay will be solid. I have full faith in People can Fly to rock that...but I've played enough GoW games (and Bulletstorm) and I wasn't looking for another. I am, however, now looking for a game that could provide a good story.

(worth noting, I also really like Karen Traviss, starting after her Star Wars Commando series; and read some of her Gears books. They were okay, and the storyline for GOW3 had great moments but a lot of filler...though, man, that ending was spot on).

Anyway, all this said...maybe Bissell will deliver crap, but whatever. This gives some hope that they'll do something interesting. Different, at the very least.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.