Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Spelunky

Game » consists of 9 releases. Released Sep 01, 2009

As a brave, but fragile adventurer, explore dangerous procedurally-generated caves to collect treasure and gain better equipment, before dying horribly and starting all over again.

One Man, One Mission: Play Spelunky at Work

• 67 results
    patrickklepek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Edited By patrickklepek
    No Caption Provided

Darius Kazemi had a serious problem, and pondered a solution. He couldn’t play Spelunky at work.

The roguelike (or rogue-inspired, if you’re particular about your rogue-ing) recently launched in revamped form on Xbox Live Arcade, but Spelunky has been available as a free download for PC players since late December 2008. At work, however, Kazemi is assigned to a Linux-based machine, which is devoid of Spelunking.

“This was like my birthday present to myself,” said Kazemi to me yesterday. “My birthday was this past weekend, and I use Linux at work, so I can’t play Spelunky at work. I want to play Spelunky at work--I’m too productive!--and now I can! Good for me, bad for my employers. [laughs]”

The result is a functional version of Spelunky running in HTML5, meaning the game is platform agnostic. Sure, the version that’s up-and-running doesn’t feature any sound, runs into serious frame rate issues when a boulder appears, and always spawns players on the left-hand side, but it works. Hell, it’ll even play the opening animation on an iPhone and iPad, though the concept of playing the twitch-based Spelunky with touch controls sounds awful.

Kazemi has logged hundreds of hours into Spelunky, and thanks to some ingenuity, was modding before Yu released the source code.
    Kazemi has logged hundreds of hours into Spelunky, and thanks to some ingenuity, was modding before Yu released the source code.

Kazemi, better known as Tiny Subversions on his blog and Twitter, is the director of community development at open web technology company Bocoup. He’s also a hardcore Spelunky player, having downloaded the original version of the game the same week it was uploaded to the TIGSource forums by creator Derek Yu. Kazemi figures he’s racked up 7,000 games since, and it's still going.

“I did one of those blog posts a year or two ago where it was like ‘Oh, name the most important games to you”’and almost all the most important games to me were ones I played in middle school and high school,” he said. “And then there’s a big gap, and, then, there’s Deus Ex, and there’s another big gap, and, then, there’s Spelunky. It’s one of those games that stays with me that I’m probably going to be playing for my whole life at this point.”

We have a friend of Kazemi’s to thank for suggesting the idea of an HTML5 version of Spelunky. Three hours later, Kazemi had something up and running, and he shared it with the world on Saturday. Being Saturday, however, no one noticed. He mentioned it again on Monday, and it took off. Even Minecraft creator Markus “Notch” Perrson said something about it, albeit to tell Kazemi the boulder didn’t work.

You, like me, might be surprised at hearing it took Kazemi only three hours to port Spelunky. Turns out Spelunky was created using the popular development software GameMaker. Nearly a year ago, GameMaker creator YoYo Games introduced the ability to spit out HTML5 versions of games made within the GameMaker software. This meant Spelunky was a candidate for becoming a web game.

The conversion wasn’t without its troubles, though. (A more technical breakdown is available here).

The audio was built using old, then-better Windows libraries, which obviously wouldn’t work in a browser game. Kazemi said he’s working on a solution, but for the moment, the HTML5 version of Spelunky is a silent affair. Chances are screaming players will make plenty of noise to make up for it.

Especially for a game built a few years ago, the code will go down some weird paths in conversion.

“When you’re doing a machine conversion of one programming language to another,” he said, “there’s always going to be--it’s basically the equivalent of homonyms in the English language, where there will be a word that can be interpreted in two different ways, and the compiler picks the wrong interpretation and it messes up your code.”

Here's Spelunky running in my own web browser, alongside endless sets of wedding documents.
    Here's Spelunky running in my own web browser, alongside endless sets of wedding documents.

Kazemi is using an older version of GameMaker, though, which YoYo Games publicly, jokingly chided him for, as the developers are pretty sure some of the issues Spelunky’s conversion ran into have since been fixed. He’s going to upgrade his copy of GameMaker and see what happens. He’s hoping these updates might fix the game’s infamous Dark Levels, which aren’t working in the current HTML5 version. If not, he’s ready to hack it together himself.

Some of the issues were made solveable because Kazemi is deeply familiar with the Spelunky source code. In one case, a nasty glitch related to the level generation algorithm (Spelunky is not completely random) was fixed by forcing player to spawn on the left, rather than randomizing left or right.

Kazemi became versed with Spelunky’s code by becoming part of the “very active but very obscure” mod community for the original game. In addition to developing and abandoning a Twitter mod that proved “very spammy,” (the results of which are still featured on the account @darius_spelunks) he wrote a series of forum posts that explained his examination of the game’s detailed level generation.

“It was mostly for the modders on the Spelunky forum who wanted to make harder levels for Spelunky,” he said.

Wait, harder Spelunky levels?

“Yeah, yeah,” he laughed. “The nice part about Spelunky is that it’s really hard, but it’s also really fair, you know? A lot of these forum mods make it feel a lot more like I Wanna Be the Guy, where you’re just walking--and then you die!”

Spelunky on XBLA uses the original template, but with new mechanics, visuals, and much more.
    Spelunky on XBLA uses the original template, but with new mechanics, visuals, and much more.

Over the next month, Kazemi hopes to fix the obvious problems, eventually turning on the features players expect from Spelunky. From there, he may resurrect that Twitter mod, and wants to include a level modifier that allows players to better understand how Spelunky builds its levels. He described Spelunky’s worlds as 50% hand-made pieces, 50% randomization, and wants a tool that can control those elements. If you wanted to generate a stage without any randomization-- devoid of monsters, traps, or treasures--that would, in theory, be possible with Kazemi’s proposed tool.

Though GameMaker helped make Spelunky running in HTML5 a reality, without Kazemi’s unique set of skills, it’s harder to imagine it would have happened.

“Originally people were like ‘Oh, you’re so good at this!’” he said. “Well, no, it was just three hours of fiddling around. But, actually, [it’s] that I know Game Maker really well, I know HTML5 really well, and I know [the] Spelunky source code really well. The fact that I happen to know all those three things meant it was relatively easy to do, but there’s probably not a lot of people who are good at all those things. I’ll take some credit for it, I guess. [laughs]”

Between the successful version for Xbox 360 and the platform-agnostic original on the web, Kazemi is just happy to have more people playing Spleunky. And, yes, Derek Yu has seen Kazemi’s work--the official account mentioned it.

“For a long time, Spelunky was just this sleeper thing, and now there’s articles about Spelunky all over the place,” he said. “It’s really nice to see people talking about it.”

patrickklepek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By patrickklepek
    No Caption Provided

Darius Kazemi had a serious problem, and pondered a solution. He couldn’t play Spelunky at work.

The roguelike (or rogue-inspired, if you’re particular about your rogue-ing) recently launched in revamped form on Xbox Live Arcade, but Spelunky has been available as a free download for PC players since late December 2008. At work, however, Kazemi is assigned to a Linux-based machine, which is devoid of Spelunking.

“This was like my birthday present to myself,” said Kazemi to me yesterday. “My birthday was this past weekend, and I use Linux at work, so I can’t play Spelunky at work. I want to play Spelunky at work--I’m too productive!--and now I can! Good for me, bad for my employers. [laughs]”

The result is a functional version of Spelunky running in HTML5, meaning the game is platform agnostic. Sure, the version that’s up-and-running doesn’t feature any sound, runs into serious frame rate issues when a boulder appears, and always spawns players on the left-hand side, but it works. Hell, it’ll even play the opening animation on an iPhone and iPad, though the concept of playing the twitch-based Spelunky with touch controls sounds awful.

Kazemi, better known as Tiny Subversions on his blog and Twitter, is the director of community development at open web technology company Bocoup. He’s also a hardcore Spelunky player, having downloaded the original version of the game the same week it was uploaded to the TIGSource forums by creator Derek Yu. Kazemi figures he’s racked up 7,000 games since, and it's still going.

“I did one of those blog posts a year or two ago where it was like ‘Oh, name the most important games to you”’and almost all the most important games to me were ones I played in middle school and high school,” he said. “And then there’s a big gap, and, then, there’s Deus Ex, and there’s another big gap, and, then, there’s Spelunky. It’s one of those games that stays with me that I’m probably going to be playing for my whole life at this point.”

We have a friend of Kazemi’s to thank for suggesting the idea of an HTML5 version of Spelunky. Three hours later, Kazemi had something up and running, and he shared it with the world on Saturday. Being Saturday, however, no one noticed. He mentioned it again on Monday, and it took off. Even Minecraft creator Markus “Notch” Perrson said something about it, albeit to tell Kazemi the boulder didn’t work.

You, like me, might be surprised at hearing it took Kazemi only three hours to port Spelunky. Turns out Spelunky was created using the popular development software GameMaker. Nearly a year ago, GameMaker creator YoYo Games introduced the ability to spit out HTML5 versions of games made within the GameMaker software. This meant Spelunky was a candidate for becoming a web game.

The conversion wasn’t without its troubles, though. (A more technical breakdown is available here).

The audio was built using old, then-better Windows libraries, which obviously wouldn’t work in a browser game. Kazemi said he’s working on a solution, but for the moment, the HTML5 version of Spelunky is a silent affair. Chances are screaming players will make plenty of noise to make up for it.

Especially for a game built a few years ago, the code will go down some weird paths in conversion.

“When you’re doing a machine conversion of one programming language to another,” he said, “there’s always going to be--it’s basically the equivalent of homonyms in the English language, where there will be a word that can be interpreted in two different ways, and the compiler picks the wrong interpretation and it messes up your code.”

Kazemi is using an older version of GameMaker, though, which YoYo Games publicly, jokingly chided him for, as the developers are pretty sure some of the issues Spelunky’s conversion ran into have since been fixed. He’s going to upgrade his copy of GameMaker and see what happens. He’s hoping these updates might fix the game’s infamous Dark Levels, which aren’t working in the current HTML5 version. If not, he’s ready to hack it together himself.

Some of the issues were made solveable because Kazemi is deeply familiar with the Spelunky source code. In one case, a nasty glitch related to the level generation algorithm (Spelunky is not completely random) was fixed by forcing player to spawn on the left, rather than randomizing left or right.

Kazemi became versed with Spelunky’s code by becoming part of the “very active but very obscure” mod community for the original game. In addition to developing and abandoning a Twitter mod that proved “very spammy,” (the results of which are still featured on the account @darius_spelunks) he wrote a series of forum posts that explained his examination of the game’s detailed level generation.

“It was mostly for the modders on the Spelunky forum who wanted to make harder levels for Spelunky,” he said.

Wait, harder Spelunky levels?

“Yeah, yeah,” he laughed. “The nice part about Spelunky is that it’s really hard, but it’s also really fair, you know? A lot of these forum mods make it feel a lot more like I Wanna Be the Guy, where you’re just walking--and then you die!”

Over the next month, Kazemi hopes to fix the obvious problems, eventually turning on the features players expect from Spelunky. From there, he may resurrect that Twitter mod, and wants to include a level modifier that allows players to better understand how Spelunky builds its levels. He described Spelunky’s worlds as 50% hand-made pieces, 50% randomization, and wants a tool that can control those elements. If you wanted to generate a stage without any randomization-- devoid of monsters, traps, or treasures--that would, in theory, be possible with Kazemi’s proposed tool.

Though GameMaker helped make Spelunky running in HTML5 a reality, without Kazemi’s unique set of skills, it’s harder to imagine it would have happened.

“Originally people were like ‘Oh, you’re so good at this!’” he said. “Well, no, it was just three hours of fiddling around. But, actually, [it’s] that I know Game Maker really well, I know HTML5 really well, and I know [the] Spelunky source code really well. The fact that I happen to know all those three things meant it was relatively easy to do, but there’s probably not a lot of people who are good at all those things. I’ll take some credit for it, I guess. [laughs]”

Between the successful version for Xbox 360 and the platform-agnostic original on the web, Kazemi is just happy to have more people playing Spleunky. And, yes, Derek Yu has seen Kazemi’s work--the official account mentioned it.

“For a long time, Spelunky was just this sleeper thing, and now there’s articles about Spelunky all over the place,” he said. “It’s really nice to see people talking about it.”

kindgineer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#2  Edited By kindgineer

That's pretty neat.

ConstantineL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By ConstantineL

hello there

nERVEcenter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By nERVEcenter

Is it just me, or does OSX seem to be significantly cluttered and busy?

Binman88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

#5  Edited By Binman88

@nERVEcenter said:

Not just you.

Stubee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Stubee

Im still more of a Binding of Isaac kinda guy....

BeachThunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 30

#7  Edited By BeachThunder

Distillery, eh...

Duxa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#8  Edited By Duxa

Good for him!

mnzy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By mnzy
    @Stubee said:

Me, too.  
    The funny thing is that Ed McMillen himself is a huge Spelunky fan, I think he said it's one of his favourite games, and it inspired Isaac in many ways. And to me, he made the better game.
    granderojo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

User Lists: 1

#10  Edited By granderojo

I just fucking ironed manned this shit and you're going to tell me now I can play it in a browser. FFFFFFFFUUUUUUUUUUCCCCCCCCCCCKKKKKKKKKKKKKKK

Slow_pC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Slow_pC

I checked it out while doing some other work... makes me want to load up the xbox and keep playing ...

fattony12000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#12  Edited By fattony12000

BESTIES!

Stugoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Stugoo

Patrick, you appear to have LaunchPad in your dock.

JoeyRavn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

#14  Edited By JoeyRavn

I wonder if they'll ever release the XBLA version on PC, preferably on Steam. I'd love to play the game with the enhanced visuals and all the new stuff of the remake.

Sil3n7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Sil3n7

The most interesting part of this whole post is your desktop and chrome bookmarks.

patrickklepek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By patrickklepek

@Stugoo said:

Crap! I don't know why. Leftover from Mountain Lion upgrade.

MeierTheRed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By MeierTheRed

@Binman88 said:

@nERVEcenter said:

Not just you.

Seconded.

yeah_write

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By yeah_write

@mnzy said:

@Stubee said:

Me, too. The funny thing is that Ed McMillen himself is a huge Spelunky fan, I think he said it's one of his favourite games, and it inspired Isaac in many ways. And to me, he made the better game.

That makes three of us. I was just looking at my Steam list the other day and saw that I had 6 hours in the original Witcher but 14 in Binding of Isaac. Heh.

I still haven't given Spelunky a try, so I can't say for sure if I like Isaac better. I wish the pixel art visuals made it to the XBLA version of Spelunky. I actually prefer those.

space_sandwich

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By space_sandwich

@patrickklepek: Speaking of Mountain Lion, any thoughts on its performance? I'm too worried to pick it up based off the bugginess of my Lion upgrade last summer...

flasaltine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By flasaltine

@patrickklepek said:

@Stugoo said:

Patrick, you appear to be using Mac OS rather than Windows.

surferz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By surferz

Maybe in a few years we can get a browser version of the updated game.

audiosnow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By audiosnow

Man, I had no idea Spelunky was made using GameMaker!

I remember "wasting" so many hours "programming" little games and apps with that thing!

Laxaloot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Laxaloot

@nERVEcenter: Just like Windows, it all depends on how you personally set it up. It can be clean and squeaky, or a multitasker's paradise like Patrick's screen up there.

yoshimitz707

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#24  Edited By yoshimitz707

@Flacracker said:

@patrickklepek said:

@Stugoo said:

What's wrong with that?

ABK_92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By ABK_92

@yoshimitz707 said:

@Flacracker said:

@patrickklepek said:

@Stugoo said:

What's wrong with that?

Everything.

ravage484

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By ravage484

Spelunky at work..hmm...I think that might make for a really loud cubicle.

Benny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Benny

Wondering if that ASMR tab is to do with the tingling buzz feeling or something unrelated. I use asmr stuff to zone out all the time, it's like meditation.

Sooty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Sooty

Chrome not in full screen and a horrible skin, what are you doing man!

blacklab

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By blacklab

Awesome

Zenogiasu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#30  Edited By Zenogiasu

July 31, 2012: The day absolutely no work was done.

THANKS A LOT PATRICK

swiller

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By swiller

@mnzy: Both excellent games. Got to go with the XBLA version of Spelunky as the best (even a cameo of Super Meat Boy I am told).

starerik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By starerik

He looks like Warren Spector. :P

Avatar image for thephantomstranger
    ThePhantomStranger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I remember looking at a comparison between normal game maker and the html5 export module and seeing how many things don't work...kudos to this guy for doing this.

fisk0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 75

#34  Edited By fisk0  Moderator

@Sooty said:

THAT'S what you notice? Not that he only has 14 tabs open? How do people survive through the day with less than 50 browser tabs?

smokyexe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By smokyexe

Awww he has Steam on his Mac, how cute.

Brackynews

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 48

#37  Edited By Brackynews

Also fuck you. :P
    Also fuck you. :P

@smokyexe: Easiest way to manage accounts, community stuff, and preferable for making any kind of purchase in my experience.

PillClinton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By PillClinton

I like your Chrome there, Patrick. I also notice you use Google Reader, my personal favorite way to do news aggregation. So, props?

dvorak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By dvorak

It's really never a good idea to post a desktop grab.

Krabonq

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By Krabonq

Nearly had to puke when I saw that browser screenshot.

Chrome and on a crapple. That's double-disgusting.

jaffaz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By jaffaz

@Stubee: Karma for you, sir...oh wait

swiller

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By swiller

@ABK_92: @ABK_92 said:

@yoshimitz707 said:

@Flacracker said:

@patrickklepek said:

@Stugoo said:

What's wrong with that?

Everything.

Nothing! Another Windows user puting down Apple, without having any real experience with it. So jealous of Windows best R&D house, which has always been an inferior copy job to me. Took a decade to get a half way decent copy on the desktop. The tablet? Well, a decade and counting. Thank god the iPad came around to give the tech sector some direction. Almost there!

Goldanas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By Goldanas

@Brackynews: I find the Android app works well for general purchases and doing that kind of management.

I mean, if you're using it on a Mac, I don't know how that makes it better than a PC when it works exactly the same as it does on a PC, except you can't play all the games. I can also just use a Windows PC if we're going that route.

If your argument is portability, I'd say the iOS or Android app are your best bet. They have all the functionality of the big boy versions in regards to management, but they'll fit in your pockets.

Goldanas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By Goldanas

@swiller said:

@yoshimitz707 said:

@Flacracker said:

@patrickklepek said:

@Stugoo said:

What's wrong with that?

Everything.

Nothing! Another Windows user puting down Apple, without having any real experience with it. So jealous of Windows best R&D house, which has always been an inferior copy job to me. Took a decade to get a half way decent copy on the desktop. The tablet? Well, a decade and counting. Thank god the iPad came around to give the tech sector some direction. Almost there!

Oh God, people, let's not go down this dark road.

Take it to Jamie and Adam's Tested if you gotta'.

PillClinton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By PillClinton

@dvorak said:

It's really never a good idea to post a desktop grab.

Only 'cause people will find literally anything to nitpick. We should all be able to share our screenshots with pride.

Dan_CiTi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By Dan_CiTi

@Krabonq said:

Nearly had to puke when I saw that browser screenshot.

Chrome and on a crapple. That's double-disgusting.

Have you ever seen a single video of Giant Bomb at work? All of them, including Dave and Alexis have been using Mac for many years. And they all got free Macbook Airs for work, so that is the only computer Patrick has since he's paying for his wedding at the moment which makes buying a full-fledged gaming PC not viable. And who cares what fucking browser he uses, it's Chrome not IE.

@fisk0 said:

@Sooty said:

THAT'S what you notice? Not that he only has 14 tabs open? How do people survive through the day with less than 50 browser tabs?

While that skin is pig disgusting (most are bad though, besides the anime ones, but those have fucking anime characters all over them), I'm sure his simple 13 inch macbook air would crumble with 50 tabs of significant things.

AlexW00d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By AlexW00d

God that's one ugly desktop screenshot. Bookmarks with titles? Blue thing? Shame on you.

NotPanicked

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By NotPanicked

Besties is an awesome podcast.

FreedomTown

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By FreedomTown

Had to throw "Roguelike" into that didn't ya Patrick

flasaltine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By flasaltine

@swiller said:

@yoshimitz707 said:

@Flacracker said:

@patrickklepek said:

@Stugoo said:

What's wrong with that?

Everything.

I actually have too much experience with OSX. I hate almost everything about it. And by almost I mean that Garage Band is fucking awesome.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.