Secrets thread (XBLA)

#1 Edited by heavymetalwaffle (106 posts) -

Hey duders. I've stumbled upon a few things that I have no idea what they are, and have had no luck figuring them out. I thought it would be a good idea to start a thread where we could attempt to figure some of these things out and compile them. Feel free to ask about certain things you've found but can't figure out or post known secrets. It would be appreciated if we could keep spoilers to a minimum, but this thread will most likely contain spoilers, so read at your own risk. Happy Spelunking!

Confirmed Secrets:

Chip Music - Rarely, a special chiptune music track will play which is unique to the area you are in. This has no change on the level. (Confirmed by designer Derek Yu here)

City of Gold - Items needed: Udjat Eye, Ankh, Hedjet, Scepter. Directions: Obtain the Udjat Eye (Mines Chest), and the Ankh from the Black Market ($50,000/steal). Find the Moai statue in the Ice Caves and commit suicide near it. The Ankh will revive you inside of the statue, and will grant you the Hedjet. Next, in the temple stage, go to Anubis and kill him to gain the Scepter. Once you have done this, a golden door will appear leading you to the City of Gold in one of the first two Temple stages. The Book of the Dead is obtainable here; it will allow you to complete the game the 'hard way'.(Courtesy of IH8PITT)

Complete the Hard Way (To Hell and Back) - Receive the Book of the Dead from the City of Gold [directions to the CoG above]. Take this book to the final boss fight. It will lead you to a secret door that floats above the lava. It is necessary to use Olmec's head as a platform to reach the door. This door will lead you to the secret Hell area. Tip: If possible, kill Anubis II. Otherwise, he will follow you between levels attempting to murder you. (Courtesy of isbecome)

Crysknife - A secret weapon in the Worm level which lies at the bottom of a stomach acid pool; it replaces your whip. (Courtesy of Peanut)

Damsel Sacrifices - Place a damsel on a sacrificial table and receive an item. The item received depends on the amount of 'Favor' for the person sacrificed. Living damsels give more than dead damsels and favor adds up during one session. Here is a list of favor values/gifts. (Courtesy of YoungFrey)

Ghost Run - If you lead the ghost over gems, they will turn into diamonds. (Courtesy of MikeGosot)

Golden Idol Sacrifices - Place a golden idol on a sacrificial table and receive a Golden Monkey who generates gold.

Haunted House Level - In the Jungle during "The Dead are Restless" if you bomb the tombstone with the crown, and then bomb again directly underneath it, you are led to a secret level. There is a character inside the top of the tower. The easiest way to reach him is to use a rope and get on top of the tower and bomb your way in. (Courtesy of joshthebear, bushpusherr)

Main Menu Spears - Sometimes special objects will hang on the end of the spears that appear as you select a mode. Items like the Ankh, Olmec's face, and an alien have been seen. These changes seem to be solely cosmetic.

Mothership Level - During the 'It feels like the Fourth of July' event, at the very top of the long tower that spawns is an entrance to this level. There is an Alien Queen in this level, and a rocket launcher will be dropped when killed. (Additional details from IH8PITT)

Super Meat Boy Character - Unlocked in the Worm level. He appears trapped inside of a bubble. (Courtesy of Peanut)

Udjat Eye - Obtained in the mines by using the gold key to unlock the chest. When it glows and beeps, it is alerting you to the secret entrance of the Black Market. You might have to blow up some land in order to find the door. (Courtesy of slayergnome)

Worm Level - In the Jungle or Ice Caves, throw a damsel on one of those red sticky ball things and jump on it with her. A worm will will emerge and eat you, sending you to a level inside its stomach. (Courtesy of Peanut)

'Level Feeling' item secrets:

I hear snakes, I hate snakes - A pickaxe is always buried at the bottom of the snake pit. (Courtesy of IH8PITT)

The Dead are restless - If you bomb the tombstone labeled 'ASH' there will be a shotgun buried underneath it. (Courtesy of IH8PITT)

I smell wet fur - Killing the Yeti King rewards you with Spike and/or Spring Shoes, Ropes and a Compass. (Courtesy of IH8PITT)

I sense a psychic presence - A jetpack is hidden in the wall behind the alien lord. (Courtesy of IH8PITT)

Edit: Wow, these are some pretty interesting secrets. I'll add them to the lists (providing credit, of course) up here for convenience.

Edit 2: Keep these secrets coming! I also deleted my 'Weird Happenings' section because I figured out those things were only cosmetic changes.

#2 Posted by ElCapitan (402 posts) -

@heavymetalwaffle: It's possible that a random humanoid was knocked unconscious on the altar. You don't have to be the one to put someone there.

#3 Posted by heavymetalwaffle (106 posts) -

@ElCapitan: Hmm. True, I forgot about that. Then I guess there are just a few random cosmetic changes that happen on the main menu? I saw an alien earlier today as well.

#4 Posted by ElCapitan (402 posts) -

@heavymetalwaffle: No clue, but very interesting.

#5 Edited by Peanut (953 posts) -

Been messing around in the Jungle and found something out. If you throw a damsel into one of those weird sticky ball things and leave her there a worm comes out of the wall and eats her. If you jump on there with her it'll eat you too, which sends you to a level inside its stomach. I haven't gotten through it yet to figure out what happens, because it's been a big mess of a layout in there every time I've gone, but I did find something called the Crysknife which "replaces" your whip. It was in a pool of green liquid, which killed me before I got out as I only had a single heart. Pretty neat.

Edit: Almost made it through, but I took a cheap hit from a frog literally two steps from the door. I did unlock Meatboy as a character though! He was "trapped" in some kind of green bubble near the bottom of the level.

#6 Posted by joshthebear (2700 posts) -
@Peanut I have been trying to get through the worm for the past day or two, to no avail. No matter what I can't seem to get through it.

Another secret in the jungle is during the dead are alive instance. If you bomb the tombstone with crown on it and then bomb underneath it leads to the haunted castle.
#7 Edited by heavymetalwaffle (106 posts) -

@Peanut: Do you mean the sticky ball things during the "My skin is crawling" event?

Edit: Never mind, I think I know what sticky balls you mean. The giant red ones, right?

#8 Posted by YoungFrey (1321 posts) -

Damsel Sacrifices - Place a damsel on a sacrificial table and receive an item.

This more complicated. You get favor for altar sacrifices to Kali. What you get a gift at 8 favor. Sacrificing a living damsel gives 12. At 16 favor you get a device that turns enemy blood into health. At 32 you get either 99 bombs (not 99 more, just set to 99) or 4-8 health. A full list of the PC rewards is on the Spelunky wiki.

I was really skeptical of the idol sacrifice, but I can also confirm the golden monkey who poops gold and gems. You can't take him(?) to the next level though, so best to wait with him till the time is up.

Things you can't carry to the next level.

• Corpses
  • Burning torches (they go out)
  • A chest, either the locked one or the gem ones.

Things you can

• The chest key (it makes a good weapon as it doesn't hurt you on a bounce)
  • stones, skulls, and pots
#9 Posted by isbecome (82 posts) -

Anyone figure out what the "hard way" to complete the game is?

#10 Posted by bushpusherr (777 posts) -

If you make it to the haunted house level, there is an unlockable secret character at the top of the castle. The easiest way to get him is just to go into the castle level with at least 1 bomb and 1 rope. Right when you get into the level, just rope up to the top of the castle and walk over to right above the coffin and bomb the castle open.

#11 Posted by isbecome (82 posts) -

@isbecome said:

Woo, I figured it out. Unfortunately it is indeed the "hard way" and I died in like the first 5 seconds to [REDACTED].

Super spoilers:

Get the book from the City of Gold and take it to the Olmec fight. It will direct you to the secret door that floats a little bit above the lava. You need to drop Olmec right under it so you can use his head as a platform.

#12 Posted by IH8PITT (5 posts) -

@isbecome said:

@isbecome said:

Woo, I figured it out. Unfortunately it is indeed the "hard way" and I died in like the first 5 seconds to [REDACTED].

Super spoilers:

Get the book from the City of Gold and take it to the Olmec fight. It will direct you to the secret door that floats a little bit above the lava. You need to drop Olmec right under it so you can use his head as a platform.

Good to hear someone made it in. I came pretty close a couple days ago, but didn't watch my head well enough against the final boss.

I have a couple of questions for you regarding the "hard way": Do you have to kill Anubis II to get in, or do you just need the Book of the Dead? Also, for clarification, you have to use Olmec's head to get into the door just above the lava, correct? Thanks! :)

#13 Edited by isbecome (82 posts) -

@IH8PITT:

I don't know if you need to kill him or not. My guess is that it's not necessary, but I ended up killing him anyway. I was dismantling the area for the money so I had plenty of room to peg him with a couple of sticky bombs from a distance.

Yes, you basically turn Olmec into a platform as the door has none. If you get him to fall into the lava under the door he will not sink immediately like he normally does. Not sure how long he floats though.

#14 Posted by IH8PITT (5 posts) -

Thanks for the info!

I'm pretty sure this stuff is common knowledge, but I'll make an effort to contribute:

During the "I hear snakes" level feeling in the Mines, there will always be a pickaxe buried in the dirt at the bottom of the snake pit.

During the "Dead are restless" level feeling in the Jungle, you can bomb the tombstone marked 'Ash' for a shotgun. This is, of course, a reference to the Evil Dead series.

During the "I smell wet fur" level feeling in the Ice Caves, the Yeti King will drop some very useful gear when killed. I'm not sure if there are set drops, but from my experience it's typically been Spike and/or Spring Shoes, a Compass and some Ropes.

During the "psychic presence" level feeling in the Ice Caves, there will always be a jetpack in the wall around the Alien Lord.

In order to visit the City of Gold, you'll need the Udjat Eye, the Ankh from the Black Market, the Hedjet from the Ice Caves, and the Scepter from Anubis in the Temple level. The Udjat Eye can be found in any one of 1-2, 1-3 or 1-4, inside the locked chest. It only appears once per playthrough. The Eye will blink rapidly to show the location of the Black Market entrance, which is in one of the first two Jungle levels. You will need bombs to find the door. If you're like me and don't enjoy pissed-off shopkeepers, you're also going to need $50,000 gold to buy the Ankh. The Ankh will bring you back to life with 4 hearts, but only once. Hang onto the Ankh until you find the massive Moai statue in either stage 2 or 3 of the Ice Caves. Once you spot it, commit suicide within close proximity of the Moai and the Ankh will revive you inside of the statue. This will net you the Hedjet. At the Temple stage, you need to kill Anubis and claim the Scepter. The golden door to the City of Gold appears in one of the first two Temple stages.

#15 Posted by heavymetalwaffle (106 posts) -

@bushpusherr: Yeah, I just did this last night. I'm guessing the character is specific to that level, so I've been wondering if it's supposed to be a caricature of someone.

#16 Edited by heavymetalwaffle (106 posts) -

I died almost immediately on entrance, but I figured out how to get to a space ship level. I added the details up top.

#17 Posted by IH8PITT (5 posts) -

@heavymetalwaffle said:

I died almost immediately on entrance, but I figured out how to get to a space ship level. I added the details up top.

The Mothership is a beast. The place is crawling with Aliens in tanks and spaceships. Up near the top, there are several Alien Lords (the big guy on the 'psychic presence' feeling) as well as an even larger Alien Queen. The big hoss will drop a rocket launcher when killed.

#18 Posted by heavymetalwaffle (106 posts) -

@IH8PITT: Cool, I'll add these extra details to the top.

By the way, how do I make a white highlight over my text? I'm newer to the forums and have been unable to figure it out.

#19 Posted by IH8PITT (5 posts) -

@heavymetalwaffle said:

@IH8PITT: Cool, I'll add these extra details to the top.

By the way, how do I make a white highlight over my text? I'm newer to the forums and have been unable to figure it out.

Highlight the portion you want to hide, and click 'Spoilers' under 'More' on the message toolbar. It's on the far right.

#20 Posted by heavymetalwaffle (106 posts) -

@IH8PITT: Awesome, thanks.

#21 Edited by isbecome (82 posts) -

Holy shit. If you are trying to beat it the hard way definitely

kill Anubis II. He follows you between levels. He followed me to Olmec and then either disappeared or I killed him offscreen, not sure which. Then appeared on 5-1 again and murdered me. Not sure if he doesn't come back after being killed or if it's just random and I was lucky the first time.
#22 Posted by heavymetalwaffle (106 posts) -

@isbecome: Ha, that's ridiculous.

#23 Posted by MikeGosot (3227 posts) -

If you wait for the ghost, you can lead him into gems, since he transforms gems into diamonds. That's called a Ghost Run and there are some tips online on how do it well.

#24 Edited by manbot47 (222 posts) -

if anyone need to know what you need for the shortcuts you need to beat each section 3 separate times and have to have the items Tunnel Man wants each time. It goes in this order: Bomb, Rope, and the last items changes for each section. And each shortcut requires increasing more bombs and rope.

1st Shortcut: i think it's $10,000

2nd: shotgun

3rd: the key for the udjat eye chest (must be carried from the mines to the temple)

ps: i don't know if it's common knowledge but in the mines you can walk through the spikes without them hurting you

#25 Posted by SJSchmidt93 (4894 posts) -

I just got "a wolf Howls in the dinstance." in the haunted castle... But i don't know what it means.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.