The GB Protips Thread!

#1 Edited by Rmack (1078 posts) -

I figured we should have a place to post what we have so tragically learned the hard way.

• Don't climb down ledges with stuff in your hands. It may hit you on the head and you'll feel like a doofus.
  • Same goes for throwing any objects near walls. They may bounce.
  • Down+Y drops a rope downwards. This is good for setting off arrow totems when you're out of other things to throw.
  • If you're going to trigger the boulder, double check on any shopkeepers in the area. You will pay for your crimes otherwise.
#2 Posted by SJSchmidt93 (4895 posts) -

Whenever there is a drop you don't think you can make without taking damage, jump across to a point where you can use a rope whole in mid air. Then climb down it, and your fall will be shorter.

#3 Posted by jonnyboy (2920 posts) -

Shoot the Cyberdemon till it dies.

#4 Posted by Jimi (1126 posts) -

If an enemy looks scary, do not fuck with it. Chances are it will kill you.

If you ever try to run chances are you will die.

Avoid any sort of combat at all around the shopkeeper, if he get's pissed off chances are he will kill you.

Stones are the most useful thing to pick up early on, if you get good at throwing them you can avoid traps/kill enemies that are likely to kill you.

Also try not to die.

#5 Posted by Demoskinos (14826 posts) -

Whip that Guy.

#6 Edited by aStagnantSleep (40 posts) -
  • You can pick up rats. They're harmless to you and can be throw to avoid those totem traps that shoot arrows. (As an alternative to rocks)
  • Jumping off some enemies heads gives you height (ala Mario in his infamous games). Time it right and you'll save time and/or ropes
  • Try to spot your exit as your still scavenging just to get a general sense of where to run, you might trap yourself in an difficult area as that Ghost comes your way to rock your joint.
  • Speaking of Ghost, you can use the camera on him. He'll be stunned in a pretty manner and buy you some time.

Oh and fuck spiders. Fuck them all. Hideous creatures....why must they be so large in this game? I had enough of that in Skyrim.

#7 Edited by Timing (619 posts) -
  • Jumping on the man-eating plants will kill you.
  • Somehow launching a red frog into the man-eating plants will make the plants eat the frog, after which the frog will explode inside the plant, killing it.
  • Throwing down a rope over a lava pit will quickly burn up the rope.
  • Don't take on a shopkeeper with just the whip. If you can throw anything at him you'll stand a good chance since you'll momentarily knock him out, giving you the chance to steal his shotgun.
  • Don't try to fight Anubis without some awesome weapon unless you're an absolute badass.
  • You can blow up the mummies. Also, the spike traps can kill them by impaling them.
  • Hold A while landing on an enemy to bounce up in the air (like in Mario).
  • The third requirement for the World 4 short-cut is not as crazy as it seems. That is, I tried it once (with a cape and spring boots) and easily made it. It's worth it to try since World 4 seems pretty hard (I've not beaten it yet).
#8 Posted by OmegaPirate (5522 posts) -

Dont think that throwing a ton of bombs into the shopkeeper will kill him and let you get his sweet ass gun.

It wont.

#9 Edited by YoungFrey (1321 posts) -
  • Many things you throw(like rocks and arrows from traps) can damage you on the bounce.
  • If you don't have room to throw to trigger an arrow trap (or might get hit by the bounce), hold it and stand so close to the edge you wobble. You'll drop the item soon, that'll trigger the trap.
  • You can sacrifice many things on the altar. Dead bodies, stunned plants, yetis. The rewards are variable, but getting a high favor with Kali will pay good rewards. Destroying the altar gets progressively much worse each time you do it.
  • In the Restless Dead level (the one with tons of tombstones), you can find one labeled "Ash". Bombing it will give you a shotgun.
#10 Posted by david3cm (635 posts) -

Breathe Deeply.

#11 Posted by Rafaelfc (1347 posts) -

jetpack / machete

If you come across those items in a shop buy them. it's a great combo because you can easily avoid spikes and the machete gives you a better reach (I still haven't tried the shotgun / jetpack combo though, that may be better)

#12 Edited by Codas (18 posts) -

Always carry a rock, pot, arrow, or something around to set off traps. You can walk through spikes, you just can't land on them.

Prioritize these 3 items: Climbing Gloves, compass, and bombs. They're very common unlike the cape and jetpack and much cheaper. Being able to scale the walls of the ice caves and bomb through the tough traps of the temple is a huge relief during an ironman run.

The snake pit always has a pick-axe hidden at the bottom underneath the ground.

The "restless dead" stage always has a shotgun hidden underneath a grave with the name Ash.

The "psychic presence" stage always has a jetpack in the wall behind the alien lord.

Just give Kali the damn damsels, it's worth it more then 1 hp.

#13 Posted by Madyew (130 posts) -

@Codas said:

Always carry a rock, pot, arrow, or something around to set off traps. You can walk through spikes, you just can't land on them.

Prioritize these 3 items: Climbing Gloves, compass, and bombs. They're very common unlike the cape and jetpack and much cheaper. Being able to scale the walls of the ice caves and bomb through the tough traps of the temple is a huge relief during an ironman run.

The snake pit always has a pick-axe hidden at the bottom underneath the ground.

The "restless dead" stage always has a shotgun hidden underneath a grave with the name Ash.

The "psychic presence" stage always has a jetpack in the wall behind the alien lord.

Just give Kali the damn damsels, it's worth it more then 1 hp.

You just saved me so much frustration. I've died so many times in those snake pits, thinking there was no way out. And I see the "Ash" graves a lot too. Great tips, thank you.

#14 Posted by eroticfishcake (7786 posts) -

Don't know if these apply to the 360 version since I've only played the PC version (and finished twice mind you albeit 1000+ deaths) but:

1. Damsel makes for a good projectile to throw at bats and spiders. Just be careful not to throw her on spikes.
  2. Damsel can also take at least one hit from an arrow trap before she is killed. Another will kill her.
  3. Even if she dies it might be a good idea to carry her corpse around since it still activates traps and it's still a good projectile
  4. The above points are incredibly misogynist but WHATEVER.
  5. Failing that, you can carry items on hand when you enter the exit so it's a good idea to bring a rock with you at all times.
  6. Climbing gloves, capes and spiked shoes are great for later levels. Buy them as soon as you can.
  7. If you come across a shop that sells some really useful items it might be worth killing the shopkeeper over...
  8. ...though that means he might kill you instantly with his shotgun (which you can also take if you stun/kill him).
  9. Note that doing this will also aggro all future shopkeepers and very often there will be one or two waiting at the exist armed with shotguns.
  10. There's are two secret levels in the game. One can be accessed in World 2 and the other in World 3...
  11. The giant spider can be easily killed by throwing a bomb into the spider web underneath it.
  12. Failing that. Run like hell.
  13. Man-eating plants can be stunned for a short while by throwing a cave man towards it.
  14. Man-eating plants can also be sacrificed to Kali.
  15. Avoid UFOs at all costs. They tend explode when they're hit.
#15 Edited by ElCapitan (402 posts) -
  • Boomerangs are surprisingly good against the shopkeeper. I usually pick up an item to get the shopkeeper out of his corner, go behind him, and throw. It'll take a few hits, but you should be able to stun lock him if the boomerang doesn't go too far. I get behind him because he triggers on violent action and he shot me once before the boomerang reached him.
  • Killing a vampire (tough to do) nets you a cape.
  • 4th of July Ice Caves levels have a secret entrance to the Mothership (not sure if this appears anyway, but I've only ever seen it on those levels)
  • Spike Shoes allow you to step on Mantraps
  • Not sure if this still works in the XBLA version, but the ghost turns gems he passes through into diamonds
  • You can fall on spikes IF AND ONLY IF you have a cape and you're using the slow descent power
  • You can telefrag enemies, but if you teleport into a wall you will die.
  • Destroying the walls of a pool of water or lava
  • You don't take fall damage if you land on a spring or an enemy you can stomp on (ie: don't do this to Mantraps)
  • Not sure if this still works in the XBLA version, but you should be able to avoid traps/obstacles/fall damage over the exit by pushing RB the second you're over it.
  • If your torch goes out you can relight it on a torch you lit before.
#16 Posted by YoungFrey (1321 posts) -

Having played both PC an 360 versions, I can confirm most of @eroticfishcake 's tips apply to the 360 version. With the following clarifications 3.Even if she dies it might be a good idea to carry her corpse around since it still activates traps and it's still a good projectile (you can sacrific the dead damsel for decent favor with Kali too) 4.The above points are incredibly misogynist but WHATEVER. (In the 360 version the damsel can be a dog and a man, so it's only incredibly evil, but not bigoted to treat the damsel poorly.) 5.Failing that, you can carry items on hand when you enter the exit so it's a good idea to bring a rock with you at all times. (as nice as it would be, you cannot carry corpses through the exit) 10.There's are two secret levels in the game. One can be accessed in World 2 and the other in World 3... (If you open the locked chest in the mines you get the eye which helps you find the secrect entrance in World 2)

#17 Posted by Timing (619 posts) -

XBLAFans just posted a lot of great tips. Here are a few of them:

• You can fall an infinite distance without taking damage as long as you grab a ledge instead of hitting the ground.
  • You can give idols to shop keepers and they’ll give you the cash for them.
  • If you steal something from a shop without killing the shopkeeper, you have two levels of notoriety before they remove you bounty; kill a single shopkeeper and they’ll be after you forever.
  • Spike shoes allow you to do damage to large enemies by jumping on them.

Many more tips here.

#18 Posted by DrxLecter (122 posts) -

You can sacrifice an idol to Kali and create a money shitting monkey, if you carry it with you you can easily make more than the idol is worth.

#19 Posted by UberExplodey (941 posts) -
  • If you pull aggro on a Shopkeeper and lead him to a man-eating plant, the plant will eat him, and he will shoot his way out.
#20 Posted by jakob187 (21670 posts) -

Pro tip: don't die.

#21 Posted by YoungFrey (1321 posts) -

At least in the PC version, not only can the man-eating plant not kill the shopkeeper, it will bring a dead shopkeeper back to life.

#22 Posted by AWESOME_ (5 posts) -

It is ALWAYS worth it to sacrifice damsels to Kali. Two live (or one live and one dead, or one live damsel and a couple live cavemen, etc.) sacrifices gets you the kapala, which will get you much much more than 2 hearts within a stage or two. A third live damsel gets you 99 bombs. 99 BOMBS

#23 Posted by ElCapitan (402 posts) -

The scepter is not the ultimate weapon it used to be. Perhaps to counteract its powerful nature, the psychic blasts can now very easily kill you upon contact. In fact, fighting Crocodile Men with it is probably the most dangerous thing you can do because it causes the psychic blasts to fly around the level erratically. I kill myself about half the time when the beam chases a croc man...stupid scepter...

#24 Posted by Apsup (38 posts) -

@ElCapitan: I was almost in the golden city when I decided to kill Crocodile Man with the scepter. He proceeded to teleport inside me.

Lesson learned. Leave the Crocodile Men alone, if you just can.

#25 Posted by TinyGallon (193 posts) -

I haven't dug into Worlds 3+ much yet, but I've got a good handle on 1 & 2. My tips are a little more introductory

• The most important tip -- whenever possible, avoid combat. There is literally nothing to gain by killing most of the enemies in the game 
  • Have a priority for everything, the game feels totally different once you realize collecting money isn't one of your main goals
  • Money will come to you as you progress, do not get into dangerous situations or expend Bombs/Ropes for only money (unless it's a lot) 
Amassing ITEMS  (and Health, sure) is your overall top priority ~ The most efficient thing to collect in each level are  CRATES.      
  • Crates are free and offer one random item from the Shop.   
  • At worst you will be getting 3x Bombs or Ropes ~ at best, Springs Shoes, Climbing Glove, Compass etc.
 I play Spelunky the way I drive a car:  always expecting the worst to happen.
  •  Always assume that every vase will contain enemy inside; treat with caution, not as money sources.
  • NEVER walk near a vase and smash it open using your whip. Always throw them.
And your best bet for fulfilling the Tunnel Man's SHOTGUN requirement, is randomly getting the "Living Dead" zombie event, then bombing the Gravestone marked ASH
#26 Posted by ElCapitan (402 posts) -

@Apsup: On the plus side, you too can telefrag enemies by using the teleporter item!

#27 Posted by Apsup (38 posts) -

@ElCapitan: I never use teleporter. Using it is just admitting that you don't want to live anymore. Teleporting inside a wall, or over a spikes, or in any other deadly place doesn't sound appealing for me.

#28 Posted by nate6858 (164 posts) -

Good stuff in this thread so far. Any tips for surviving "dark" levels? Just on world 2 they seem like a death sentence.

#29 Posted by Apsup (38 posts) -

@nate6858: They are a death sentence. Just try to get to the door and hope for the best.

#30 Posted by depecheload (496 posts) -

I just beat the game!

Buy climbing gloves the second you can. I barely used them during the entire game, but they are a lifesaver during the boss. I would have died for sure without them.

#31 Posted by TheSouthernDandy (3867 posts) -

When triggering an arrow trap with an item from below DO NOT STAND ANYWHERE NEAR IT! Even if you trigger the trap the arrow will hurt you if it falls on you. Despite knowing this I've done this way too many times.

#32 Edited by Undead_Fiend (56 posts) -
  • Be careful when triggering explosions that there isn't any debris around it, so many times i've taken a flying rock to the face,
  • Be careful carrying/throwing the totem it is heavy and will hurt you
  • If a drop is too far hang over the ledge and use a rope to lower yourself down
  • Set off the arrow traps and take the arrows, they can be thrown horizontally which can be really useful early on
  • you can angle your throws up or down, useful for getting rid of spiders/bats before you go near them
#33 Posted by Cincaid (2956 posts) -

God damn I want this game badly. Curse my existance and especially my ever-empty wallet. :(

#34 Posted by beard_of_zeus (1684 posts) -
@nate6858 said:
Good stuff in this thread so far. Any tips for surviving "dark" levels? Just on world 2 they seem like a death sentence.
I use to hate them until I figured out you could pick up the gold bugs for tons of cash. As for getting through them, remember that the most dangerous shit will be lit up by a flame inside it - arrow traps (world 1), tiki spikes (world 2), crushing blocks (world 4). Also, if you have to make a long fall downward and can't see anything, I would advise dropping your torch off the ledge with (down + x), and see if you spy anything dangerous. Other than that, take it slooooooooooow and minimize your exploration.
#35 Posted by Patman99 (1583 posts) -

@beard_of_zeus said:

@nate6858 said:
I use to hate them until I figured out you could pick up the gold bugs for tons of cash. As for getting through them, remember that the most dangerous shit will be lit up by a flame inside it - arrow traps (world 1), tiki spikes (world 2), crushing blocks (world 4). Also, if you have to make a long fall downward and can't see anything, I would advise dropping your torch off the ledge with (down + x), and see if you spy anything dangerous. Other than that, take it slooooooooooow and minimize your exploration.

or, alternatively, smash your controller against the wall, acquire a new controller, and, finally, press 'x' for a quick restart.

#36 Posted by slimepuppy (42 posts) -

I've found the best way to get through World 2 is to use bombs liberally to head downwards quickly. The climbing gloves on World 3 allow you to scale the side of the level, avoiding practically all the dangers.

#37 Posted by FateOfNever (1839 posts) -

You can pick up the kissing booth damsel and buy her (or try to steal her), but if you can't afford her and have to put her down... run like the devil before she wakes up and panics and runs out of the shop and the shopkeeper accuses you of stealing her.

#38 Posted by Needle (65 posts) -

I just beat the game last night, mostly on a super lucky run, but after putting 250+ plays in, I figured I should contribute a little:

• Climbing gloves are awesome, but the jetpack is incredible. Specifically in the ice caves, which tend to be more wide open, the jetpack will allow for very easy and fast navigation, allow you simple access to the Mothership exits, and keep you from falling down the endless abyss. In addition, it replaces the parachute as an easy avoidance for long falls.
  • Items the shopkeeper sells get more expensive as the levels progress. Spending more time collecting money in the Mines and using it to purchase the key items you need will always pay off down the line.
  • Killing a Giant Spider in the mines will give you cash and Paste. Paste makes your bombs sticky, and consequently, sticky bombs make for a great weapon against most large enemies (and the shopkeeper too).
  • If you see the Queen Bee and you have a good long distance weapon like the shotgun or sticky bombs, go for the kill. the Queen Bee drops Royal Honey, which is worth a ton of life points (4 I believe).
  • Want an easy way to kick off your shopkeeper killing spree? Find one that is selling a machete and purchase it. Walk right up to the shopkeeper and start slamming him with the machete as quickly as possible. You'll stun lock him and score the kill.
  • Life becomes increasingly pointless as the game progresses,. as more of the obstacles / enemies can kill you in one shot.
  • Look around the "Restless Dead" level for a large grave monument - you can see a skeleton wearing a crown underneath. The crown is worth a ton of cash and only requires one bomb.
  • Got to Olmec with a ton of bombs left over? Use them liberally to avoid a lengthy fight. Need more bombs? Go above him with ropes / climbing glove / jetpack to find tons of bombs and cash.
#39 Posted by YoungFrey (1321 posts) -
  • Followers will steal from shops. Labeling you as a criminal when they follow you out of the shop. They will also grab your weapons if you drop them and it can be hard to get them back. But you can sacrifice them, so there is that.
  • You can disarm the landmines in the Ice Caves by picking them up quickly. If you use one to kill a shopkeeper, you don't get labeled a terrorist (I did it, but I'd like confirmation because it seems wrong).
  • You can stickybomb a running damsel turning them into a suicide bomber. A good way to bomb a shopkeeper safely.
#40 Posted by SJSchmidt93 (4895 posts) -

Any tIps for Olmec? I've gotten there 3 times and died pretty quickly each time.

#41 Posted by isbecome (83 posts) -

Olmec won't chase you very far. If you have the bombs just get a bit away from him and make a nice hole. Make sure you have a way to get out of the hole, even if it's just rope. Standing right on the opposite ledge of said hole will be enough to get him to throw himself to his death.

#42 Edited by SJSchmidt93 (4895 posts) -

I've discovered if you set down a body (caveman or hawk man) between you and a mummy it will absorb all the shots. Keep whipping it to make it go forward and as long as you don't step in front of it the mummy's bug attack won't hit you.

Still can't freakin' beat Olmec though :-\

Also FUCK the anubis. It is definitely my least favorite enemy in the game, and not just because it's the hardest. I think they are cheap and pretty luck-based (even more so than most things in the game) Multiple times I've had one just camping the exit and I just had to quit out because there was never an opening. I think a good solution would be to make the purple blasts dissapear whenever anything hits them... so I could clear stuff out by throwing things at them.

#43 Edited by haychew21 (16 posts) -
  • There is never any reason to take fall damage if you're in control (i.e. not bouncing from taking damage). The levels are randomly generated, but the parameters prevent spawning drops that will cause damage. It might be difficult to see, but there is always a safe way down, assuming a rolling boulder from an idol trap or an exploding frog hasn't lengthened the distance.
  • The golden scarabs in the dark areas are harmless and can be collected. They are worth as much as idols, making dark areas very lucrative, if also very treacherous.
  • Spikes can be destroyed by destroying the block they rest upon.
  • Debris and objects in motion that would normally do no damage will detonate Powder Boxes. This excludes walking over or into them. Examples: Arrows without arrowheads, rats, shards from broken skulls, etc. Be wary when using rocks, keys, arrows, or other projectiles to trigger, because the explosion will often send them flying right back at you.
  • Might seem obvious, but treasure chests can be whipped open. They can also be picked up. Pressing up and the X button will open them while carried. After emptied, the chest can be used as a heavy projectile, on par with the idol.
  • Mines in World 3 can be picked up prior to detonation. This deactivates them, allowing you to place them in a more strategic location and detonate them on your own terms.
  • The forcefields protecting the psychic alien lord will deflect projectiles when active, as well as instantly kill you. Get their timing down and crouch-drop a bomb onto the middle one (there are three) to efficiently destroy them and collect your jetpack.
  • Gaining increased favor with Kali will net you the Kapala, a skull-shaped chalice that allows you to collect blood droplets from slain or injured enemies to regain health. My rough approximation is eight blood droplets per one point of health, though I've yet to test it thoroughly. The jungle is a good area to attempt this, if you have an easily reachable altar, as there are lots of tiki men to sacrifice. A good way to collect blood for the Kapala is to continue sacrificing enemies while standing directly on top of them.
  • Take breaks here and there. This game can be very stressful if you let it get under your skin. Learn to see the humor in dying, and make mental notes of how to avoid it next time.
#44 Posted by Lister22 (1 posts) -

@Needle said:

• Look around the "Restless Dead" level for a large grave monument - you can see a skeleton wearing a crown underneath. The crown is worth a ton of cash and only requires one bomb.

Also,

if you drop another bomb where the skeleton is you will open a door to another hidden world.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.