To Hell and Back

#1 Posted by SJSchmidt93 (4895 posts) -

What is this achievement? I've looked all over and can't find anything.

I feel like this game is not doing well... there's almost nobody talking about it anywhere :( If this were SMB or Trials I'm sure I could find the answer in 2 seconds.

#2 Posted by Jace (1094 posts) -

This game made me too mad to keep going with such shitty design choices. One life in single player in worlds? Fine, I can deal. Not saving my co-op progress and counting it as actual progress? Fuck you.

Waste of money, the DM mode provide 15 minutes of laughs at least.

#3 Posted by FraggingRights (82 posts) -

Noticed that achievement, too. No idea...

#4 Edited by yoshisaur (2717 posts) -

@SJSchmidt93: From what I've gathered is there is a "secret" hell level. Some say you need to use the Necronomicon from the City of Gold on a door that appears above the lava in Olmec's lair.

However, I don't think they anyone (at least publicly) has figured it out so that could be a bunch of bull-poop.

#5 Posted by SJSchmidt93 (4895 posts) -

@Jace said:

This game made me too mad to keep going with such shitty design choices. One life in single player in worlds? Fine, I can deal. Not saving my co-op progress and counting it as actual progress? Fuck you.

This has nothing to do with my question.

For me, it's the most fun I've had with a game in a long time and I actually feel the urge to S-rank which hasn't happened since SSHD.

#6 Posted by NickL (2246 posts) -

@ck1nd said:

@SJSchmidt93: From what I've gathered is there is a "secret" hell level. Some say you need to use the Necronomicon from the City of Gold on a door that appears above the lava in Olmec's lair.

However, I don't think they anyone (at least publicly) has figured it out so that could be a bunch of bull-poop.

According to some random website I just went onto 6 people have unlocked this achievement. Still no idea what it is...

#7 Posted by yoshisaur (2717 posts) -

@NickL: Well, we should hopefully know what it is then. I'm sure some data-miners will etch it out at some point. There's no such thing as well-kept secrets in the industry any more.

#8 Edited by me3639 (1755 posts) -

IMO it's just like Dark Souls, it doesnt have to be brutal, insanely hard. IT'S ALREADY A GREAT GAME. How can anyone enjoy the entire experience if you cant get past certain levels?

As for your question, after watching and hearing of the annoying difficulty i am not purchasing at this time or in the future.

#9 Posted by Jace (1094 posts) -

@SJSchmidt93 said:

@Jace said:

For me, it's the most fun I've had with a game in a long time and I actually feel the urge to S-rank which hasn't happened since SSHD.

What do you mean has nothing to do with your post? You seem to be shocked no one is talking about it, and I explained why. They sacrificed fun/logic in the name of artificial difficulty. Lazy.

#10 Posted by ThePhantomStranger (359 posts) -

@me3639 said:

IMO it's just like Dark Souls, it doesnt have to be brutal, insanely hard. IT'S ALREADY A GREAT GAME. How can anyone enjoy the entire experience if you cant get past certain levels?

As for your question, after watching and hearing of the annoying difficulty i am not purchasing at this time or in the future.

There is a free version of the game for pc if you go to the creators website, I've been playing that and it runs great on my shitty labtop!

OT: I've found a guy on gamefaqs who seems to have gotten it but has failed to mention what it is, beware there are apparently spoilers in the link.

#11 Posted by TruthTellah (8986 posts) -

@Jace: It's a fine game. It's apparently just not the kind of game you wanted. It's not really a multiplayer game. Multiplayer is fine for messing around a bit, but it will pretty much just hinder you actually getting anywhere.

It's a rogue-like though, and so, its difficulty will certainly be high. You get that one life and that's it. You're expected to die a lot. Hundreds of times. That's just how it works. It's an improved version of the original Spelunky for PC, and fortunately, it's actually doing decently well. Perhaps it isn't getting talked about as much on Giant Bomb(besides by the staff multiple times), but it certainly has its following. Similar to Dungeons of Dredmor and titles like Dark Souls, it's just meant to be played in a different way. That doesn't make it bad; it's just different. And for what it sets out to be, it's actually quite good. :)

#12 Posted by TruthTellah (8986 posts) -

@SJSchmidt93: Spoilers. Though, uh, the game doesn't really have much of a story; so, it's not really spoilers as much as revealing a surprise in the game. Needless to say, there is more to the game than just beating the normal game. There are a lot of secret levels.

There is a secret final area called Hell where the true final boss is. Needless to say, it is rather difficult to unlock. There are some different enemies, and it's extremely difficult. I've seen pictures of it, but I know for a fact I'm not good enough to get there. But I can look on from afar. Beating Hell unlocks the last hidden character and the final achievements. It's not an achievement that many will ever get; it's just a thing for crazy people to aspire toward.
#13 Edited by Timing (619 posts) -

@ck1nd said:

This is true. Once you have the Necronomicon, you have to get Olmec to land in the lava above the entrance to Hell and then stand on him before he sinks and use him to enter the door, as there is no actual platform under the door itself. You'll then have to complete four more levels (as in world 5-1 through 5-4) after which you should get the achievement. I haven't made it to hell yet, but I've seen someone get there, though he died on the second level.

As for the Necronomicon, in case people don't know yet, you have to go through the 'item sequence' in order to get it, which is:

• In the mines: Find the golden key and use that to open the locked treasure chest containing the Udjat Eye.
  • In the jungle: Use the Udjat Eye to locate the black market. Enter it and purchase (or steal if you're bad enough) the Ankh.
  • In the ice caves: Die anywhere in the level with the Moai statue and the Ankh will revive you (and break) and transport you inside the Moai statue, which contains the Hedjet.
  • In the temple: With the Hedjet in your possession, kill Anubis and pick up his scepter (I highly recommend against using it as weapon though, as it it very random and will kill you in one hit). Then look around in the next temple levels for a golden door, which you will be able to open holding the scepter. Behind the golden door will be the City of Gold.
  • In the City of Gold: In the center will be an altar with the Necronomicon on it. If you take it, Anubis II will appear, chasing you while spawning red skeletons. If you don't kill him, he will reappear in later levels to haunt you again.
  • In the Olmec room: As mentioned before, with the Necronomicon in your possession, have Olmec land in the lava above the door to Hell, and stand on him to enter it.
  • In Hell: Don't die.

Good luck.

Edit: to clarify, I've made it to Olmec with the Necronomicon once, but got crushed. Here's a video of someone making it to Hell (57 minutes in).

#14 Posted by Jace (1094 posts) -

@TruthTellah said:

@Jace: It's a fine game. It's apparently just not the kind of game you wanted. It's not really a multiplayer game. Multiplayer is fine for messing around a bit, but it will pretty much just hinder you actually getting anywhere.

It's a rogue-like though, and so, its difficulty will certainly be high. You get that one life and that's it. You're expected to die a lot. Hundreds of times. That's just how it works. It's an improved version of the original Spelunky for PC, and fortunately, it's actually doing decently well. Perhaps it isn't getting talked about as much on Giant Bomb(besides by the staff multiple times), but it certainly has its following. Similar to Dungeons of Dredmor and titles like Dark Souls, it's just meant to be played in a different way. That doesn't make it bad; it's just different. And for what it sets out to be, it's actually quite good. :)

If you were to actually read my post before responding, you'd see that I clearly stated I'm okay with the rouge-like aspect of the game. I would even argue if the game wasn't set up in a one-life fashion it would be boring.

However, there is no reason not to save multiplayer progress. I would accept it if it doesn't count on leader boards, or even if it's entirely separate from singleplayer progress. But to just say, "OOPS, NONE OF THIS COUNTS BRO, SORRY." is pure laziness and stupidity. It's very clear they wanted to create pointless and artificial difficulty in the sake of fun with friends.

How stupid can I be though? I mean because no one buys XBLA games to play multiplayer with their friends, right? Those games always sell poorly. Oh shit, I hear the two best selling XBLA games of all time coming, gotta go.

#15 Edited by SJSchmidt93 (4895 posts) -

@Jace said:

@SJSchmidt93 said:

@Jace said:

What do you mean has nothing to do with your post? You seem to be shocked no one is talking about it, and I explained why. They sacrificed fun/logic in the name of artificial difficulty. Lazy.

Yeah, whatever. I'm sorry you feel that way... I guess getting your hand held by all the easy games we have now got to you. There's nothing "artificial" about it's difficulty. It's about discovery and fixing your mistakes. Your use of "lazy" continues to shock me. Do you really believe they left out saving of multiplayer progress be'cause "OH SHIT, guys that would cost money and this thing has a deadline... fuck!" No. Not even.

Go get your shortcuts and play through each world with a friend or something... a friend that doesn't suck.

#16 Posted by Jace (1094 posts) -

@SJSchmidt93: What a useless retort. Try reading sometime, I hear hooked on phonics is cheap now.

#17 Posted by SJSchmidt93 (4895 posts) -

@Jace said:

@SJSchmidt93: What a useless retort. Try reading sometime, I hear hooked on phonics is cheap now.

Holy shit, you're right. You're so smart.

http://www.hookedonphonics.com/

Ordering now.

#18 Posted by heavymetalwaffle (106 posts) -

@SJSchmidt93: I hope the game is doing well, but I feel like one of the main reasons it isn't really getting talked about is because the original freeware version was on the PC and a lot of fans are probably holding out for a PC version. I think if a PC version gets released it will be talked about much more than it is currently.

I also think it's kind a niche game, it being an extremely difficult rouge-like and all. When I explained to a lot of my friends what Spelunky was they looked at me like I was crazy and asked me why the fuck I would ever play a game that starts you back at the beginning with nothing every time you die. I don't think a lot of people really care to play a game that is so punishing. SMB and Trials are very difficult, but the levels are compact enough so when you die it doesn't seem like a chore to restart. They're easier games to get into than Spelunky. Don't get me wrong, I love this game, but I think it's a very intimidating game for outside audiences. (I also think Microsoft has not done their part in advertising the game on the Marketplace; it was the fourth ad in the scrolling section on the main page for two days.)

(Shameless plug time) By the way, I've started a Secrets Thread over here if you're interested in learning more.

#19 Posted by Jace (1094 posts) -

@SJSchmidt93: Nice, glad you edited your trashy original response to something just below competent now.

#20 Edited by TruthTellah (8986 posts) -

@Jace No need to be so abrasive, Jace. I simply didn't agree with your assessment of the game.

Perhaps the game could have better coop, but that's still far from a reason why many wouldn't like it. And the fact is, many do like the game and it is doing fine. Maybe improving coop could help it do even better; I'd certainly prefer better coop with its own leaderboards. Though, I think the game has enough to it and is fun enough on its own right now; anything else would be icing on the cake. :)

#21 Posted by isbecome (83 posts) -

I've gotten to Hell twice, personally. I'd have gotten there a few more times but I keep being an idiot and accidentally passing up the Ankh head or Anubis. I posted my findings on heavymetalwaffles' Secrets Thread that he linked above if you want to read them. It's basically all been said in this thread all ready though. It is brutally difficult down there. It is very cramped and has some very difficult enemies and traps. Spoilers on the enemies I've seen if you'd like.

Anubis II follows you from the City of Gold. I have not yet confirmed whether or not he comes back after you kill him. Sticky bombs work wonders against him.

Succubi who pretend to be Damsels and then murder you.

Demons with spiky heads that damage you when you jump on them.

I would love to hear any tips and/or warnings from anyone else that manages to make it there.

#22 Posted by NeutralDensity (47 posts) -

I made it to Hell, but died on the last stage just now. I am so glad I got as far as I did my first time there though. Do not want to spoil it, but suffice to say that it is fucked. You need to be careful there. Cannot wait to give it another go. I am filled with confidence now! :D

#23 Posted by Snotty (50 posts) -

Im really glad there is a ''hard to get to - even harder to complete'' extra series of levels after the game, otherwise I would be done with this game by now. I really enjoy playing it and Ive got my moneys worth in the £/hour breakdown already.

Its worth noting that Anubis 2 spawns when you touch the necronomicon... probably worth planning your escape route before you do so!

#24 Edited by Timing (619 posts) -

Someone on Twitch just did it. I was fortunate enough to be there to witness it. Here's the highlight. It gets pretty crazy in the end.

Edit: video doesn't show for me in Firefox, so here's the direct link.

#25 Edited by SJSchmidt93 (4895 posts) -

@Timing said:

Someone on Twitch just did it. I was fortunate enough to be there to witness it. Here's the highlight. It gets pretty crazy in the end.

Edit: video doesn't show for me in Firefox, so here's the direct link.

Oooh I don't think I even want to watch.

I'm still working toward it.

edit: so i did watch it and to be honest, it doesn't look that hard. I think actually getting there will be the toughest part. I expected much worse.

#26 Posted by Timing (619 posts) -

Here's the YouTube (HD) version of Fist's successful Hell run. He forgot to hit record until 5-2 so the first Hell stage isn't here, but the rest is. Massive spoilers below, obviously.

#27 Posted by MariachiMacabre (7096 posts) -

Everything I see about this game seems like a Rogue-Like with Meat Boy mixed in for flavor. Seems like something that would make me want to die even more than Meat Boy did. I won't be touching it even though I loved SMB but I'm glad it exists.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.