Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Spelunky

Game » consists of 9 releases. Released Sep 01, 2009

As a brave, but fragile adventurer, explore dangerous procedurally-generated caves to collect treasure and gain better equipment, before dying horribly and starting all over again.

Your one "go to" or safety item.

BBOYS2231

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By BBOYS2231

Just out of curiosity, what is the one item that you simply need to have, to feel comfortable playing a round of Spleunky? For me it's the compass. If I don't get the compass early, I start to freak out. For some reason, having the compass gives me the confidence to have a good run. Anyone else have that one item you absolutely need to feel confident?

wchigo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

I think there's a few universal items that people enjoy as a safety item, like the cape, jetpack, shotgun, bombs. Man... I had this one run where I was completely out of bombs with like over a dozen ropes... real rough.

Aside from those, I really love having the climbing gloves. Really opens up the traversal aspects of the game, as I can easily get back to higher areas without needing to use the rope. Spike boots are probably a close second, makes it so much easier killing enemies in the later stages of the game if you don't have a shotgun or some other powerful weapon.

Avatar image for mancombseepgood
    MancombSeepgood

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I enjoy the climbing gloves as well, it just seems to make life so much easier. Jetpack is also pretty great, and then of course, the shotgun.

mosespippy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 8

#4  Edited By mosespippy

Sticky Bombs. I can make the level do what I need it to if I have sticky bombs. Anubis and Anubis II ain't shit against sticky bombs. The one scary enemy for me now is the Queen Bee. She can rush you and if she has an explosive on her then that can fuck you.

Vuud

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I like the jetpack but it's so rare.

My best deal is to reach the jungle with an undead level. That way I have a guaranteed shotgun and cape, and usually I can get to the haunted castle and get the blood cup. With those I can always get pretty far.

BeachThunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 30

Aside from the very obvious items, I always like to have spike shoes - It's really great for killing some of the nastier enemies. Also, very helpful in the ice levels.

SeanCoughing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#7  Edited By SeanCoughing

I would have to say sticky bombs for me as well since you can pretty much get them every time and they help you out so much when robbing the blackmarket. If I see a cape or climbing gloves in a shop before the blackmarket I will buy them every time.

pyromagnestir

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 23

Bombs are god tier. If I have a ton of bombs I feel pretty damn good, and sticky bombs make me feel even better.

As awesome as the jetpack is, I might actually pick the cape as the item I feel most safe with. The ability to softly float onto a set of spikes is what really does that. The jetpack is great, but I don't feel safe with it.

The only time I beat the game I had climbing gloves and the pitcher's mitt, and that's it. I don't think I had all that many bombs either.

BBOYS2231

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I would also say having the climbing gloves (Hulk hands) on my first few runs were great to get in the habit of reminding myself I needed to go back up for treasure, the dog, shrine, etc... I think when you first start, all you think about is getting to that exit, not realizing how much you missed along the way.

thurbleton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

Web gun. Its a solid item early game that is under appreciated imo thats cheap and ok to toss after you get yourself outfitted

EVO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

Each time I get the jetpack I'm in for a good run. On the other hand, when I get climbing gloves, spring boots or the cape, I find it hard to adjust.

flippyandnod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It may sound crazy, but the mattock is a big deal on the 2nd dungeons (12-16). You will have to "drill down" a lot and the mattock is faster to do so than bombs because there is no explosion delay.

Slag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 45

Well for a long time I preferred not to buy anything at all, figured I needed to learn to play without them.

These days If I see a compass I'll get it. Helps a lot on the ice levels for me.

csl316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

Aside from lots of bombs, the jetpack, and the shotgun, I absolutely need the sticky bombs. Otherwise bombs feel too chaotic to me.

Bombs are important, and sticky bombs let me make sure that each one goes where it needs to. Also makes those square treasure rooms with a shopkeeper way easier to crack.

Avatar image for deactivated-5b531a34b946c
    deactivated-5b531a34b946c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

The Jetpack is definitely that item for me. If I get it before the Black Market, I start ghosting levels to comfortably buy the Ankh, since usually my deaths are at the hands of angry shopkeepers. Basically, if I get to the Black Market and know I have to piss them off, I pretty much lose all my confidence for the run. The Market itself is easy enough to take care of, but the shopkeepers that survive in the Temple are usually my downfall.

A close second would be the Mattock. The Caves are the only stage where it's not quite as useful, but everywhere else it's fantastic to be able to get anywhere in the level you want to go without wasting bombs.

csl316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

@vuud said:

I like the jetpack but it's so rare.

My best deal is to reach the jungle with an undead level. That way I have a guaranteed shotgun and cape, and usually I can get to the haunted castle and get the blood cup. With those I can always get pretty far.

I've been playing Spelunky daily for over a year, and I literally just found out that there's a haunted castle. I knew there was something with that crown, but I figured it was just getting cash.

Spelunky!

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.