Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Spider-Man: Shattered Dimensions

Game » consists of 10 releases. Released Sep 07, 2010

Spider-Man: Shattered Dimensions revolves around the pieces of a magical tablet, spanning four distinct dimensions and starring the Spider-Men therein.

What is with the hype surrounding this game?

Shadow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 5

Edited By Shadow

I can understand the awesomeness that could potentially come from the idea of super hero universe crossovers, and there are few superheroes as well known or loved as Spider-Man.  However, everyone seems to be thinking this will be to Spider-Man as Arkham Asylum was to Batman, blowing every Peter Parker-based game before it out of the water.  With Spider-Man 2 (the movie the game), Treyarch struck gold by turning what is otherwise a sub-par game into a fantastic and unique one with a single mechanic:  the swinging.  Ever since then, Spider-Man games have kept the spider web-based travel system and although the games themselves got a bit better each time (with Spider-Man 3 being a possible exception), the swinging while being only barely improved upon each time, was always by far the best part of each game.  

With Shattered Dimensions, the developers seem to have made the combat more fluid, spectacular and fun, almost approaching God of War, but falling short in my opinion because...well, you can't really get away with Spider-Man ripping enemies in two and having their innards flying everywhere.  One minor flaw comes to mind though:  THEY TOOK OUT THE GODDAMN SWINGING!  In pretty much every other sandbox game throughout history, you are sent from place to place to kill enemies, the fun only happening once you reach your destination.  In the Spider-Man games though, the opposite is true.  Getting to whatever group of baddies you need to beat to a pulp is always the best part, the actual fighting of any enemies being just sort of a tedious interlude between the oddly fast-paced and fun travel system.  With Spider-Man 2, I can't tell you how many times I would abandon going to the next mission just to save a balloon for one of the many grip-deprived little girls of New York.  As dumb of a premise as it was to let a damsel in distress die the next block over in order to save an effing balloon, those moments were some of the best in the game, while the real work Spider-Man had to do of stopping Doc Oc or whatever, was just kind of boring.

As decisive as I can be not having played it for myself, they've made the combat far more fun even than Web of Shadows, which featured the best fisticuffs in the franchise so far.  Just because the fighting is more fun though, doesn't mean it can stand on its own without the awesome swinging mechanic that has kept the franchise afloat up to now and saved its games from being bland beat-em-ups.  Only time will tell when the game is released in a few weeks, but while giving the next Spider-Man incarnation varied gameplay between levels might get rid of the repetitive nature of the previous games, I believe making it mission-based (in linear levels no less) was the worst decision the developers could have made.  I really hope I'm wrong on this one, but Shattered Dimensions really doesn't seem like the departure needed to rejuvenate the franchise.  Instead it's shaping up to be more along the lines of a multi-Spider-Man version of Dante's Inferno, and will be quickly forgotten with the onslaught of other, better games coming out in the next few months..

Shadow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By Shadow

I can understand the awesomeness that could potentially come from the idea of super hero universe crossovers, and there are few superheroes as well known or loved as Spider-Man.  However, everyone seems to be thinking this will be to Spider-Man as Arkham Asylum was to Batman, blowing every Peter Parker-based game before it out of the water.  With Spider-Man 2 (the movie the game), Treyarch struck gold by turning what is otherwise a sub-par game into a fantastic and unique one with a single mechanic:  the swinging.  Ever since then, Spider-Man games have kept the spider web-based travel system and although the games themselves got a bit better each time (with Spider-Man 3 being a possible exception), the swinging while being only barely improved upon each time, was always by far the best part of each game.  

With Shattered Dimensions, the developers seem to have made the combat more fluid, spectacular and fun, almost approaching God of War, but falling short in my opinion because...well, you can't really get away with Spider-Man ripping enemies in two and having their innards flying everywhere.  One minor flaw comes to mind though:  THEY TOOK OUT THE GODDAMN SWINGING!  In pretty much every other sandbox game throughout history, you are sent from place to place to kill enemies, the fun only happening once you reach your destination.  In the Spider-Man games though, the opposite is true.  Getting to whatever group of baddies you need to beat to a pulp is always the best part, the actual fighting of any enemies being just sort of a tedious interlude between the oddly fast-paced and fun travel system.  With Spider-Man 2, I can't tell you how many times I would abandon going to the next mission just to save a balloon for one of the many grip-deprived little girls of New York.  As dumb of a premise as it was to let a damsel in distress die the next block over in order to save an effing balloon, those moments were some of the best in the game, while the real work Spider-Man had to do of stopping Doc Oc or whatever, was just kind of boring.

As decisive as I can be not having played it for myself, they've made the combat far more fun even than Web of Shadows, which featured the best fisticuffs in the franchise so far.  Just because the fighting is more fun though, doesn't mean it can stand on its own without the awesome swinging mechanic that has kept the franchise afloat up to now and saved its games from being bland beat-em-ups.  Only time will tell when the game is released in a few weeks, but while giving the next Spider-Man incarnation varied gameplay between levels might get rid of the repetitive nature of the previous games, I believe making it mission-based (in linear levels no less) was the worst decision the developers could have made.  I really hope I'm wrong on this one, but Shattered Dimensions really doesn't seem like the departure needed to rejuvenate the franchise.  Instead it's shaping up to be more along the lines of a multi-Spider-Man version of Dante's Inferno, and will be quickly forgotten with the onslaught of other, better games coming out in the next few months..

Tordah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 10

#2  Edited By Tordah

I haven't heard much hype about this game, but then again I haven't followed it that closely. I think it looks promising from the trailers so far. 

I assume people are looking forward to it because it looks fun and different. It has a neat concept with the different dimensions having distinct artstyles. The only other game I know of that does that is Comic Jumper, which is also not out yet.

ProjektGill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By ProjektGill

I think people are really hoping that this will be Spider-Man's Arkham Asylum. That I think is hoping for far too much. As interesting as the concept may be, the combat in every video they've show looks weak and that first person combat seems really cheesy. However  I do like the altered looks for Scorpion and Green Goblin. Also having Amazing and Ultimate does seem like a cop-out even if the devs say they are really different.

Goldanas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#4  Edited By Goldanas
    @Tordah said:
    " I haven't heard much hype about this game"
    I agree with this; whatever hype this game is getting, it's being trumped by games like Mafia II. Perhaps when its release is upon us, we'll see more.
    Jazz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 37

#5  Edited By Jazz

Hype? 
    What hype?  
    People seem to spend most of the time saying it's not Metroi...sorry, Arkham Asylum.
    It's not a sandbox game anyway, as in free roam, which to me is a major plus. I loathe those types of games. 
    But FFS, It's got Miguel O'Hara in it. That alone warrants a purchase. Shame that Ben Reilly is only a skin for Amazing.  
    Spider-man games tend to be fun anyway, the quality may not always be there..but the fun usually is. Just as long as he doesn't spend most of his time screaming 'MARY JANE' i think we'll be okay.

edit: oh...you want GoW. If by fluid you mean repetitive and incredible boring, then you may be right.

Shadow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Shadow

Hm maybe it's just that the people I talk to are obsessed with Marvel, but not a day goes by when I don't hear someone talking about the game.  I was under the impression it was highly anticipated.  If it's not, then it kind of does negate me ranting abut how it shouldn't be.

Hunkulese

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Hunkulese

Are you aware this game is being made by french people?

Avatar image for sethphotopoulos
    SethPhotopoulos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#8  Edited By SethPhotopoulos

The series needed to stop with the swinging or else it would get stale. 

Thanks for trying to make me feel bad for wanting this game bad.

Shadow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Shadow
    @Hunkulese said:
    " Are you aware this game is being made by french people? "
    Are you aware that in the original story, Cinderella's slippers were made of fur?
    jacksukeru

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 22

#10  Edited By jacksukeru

I never got the impression that this was going to be something super-special. It looks like it might be an ok Spiderman game, that's all. 

Also haven't really heard any hype for this game.

Avatar image for deactivated-61665c8292280
    deactivated-61665c8292280

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

@Shadow: Call me crazy. I kind of felt Spider-Man 3's game was a slight improvement over Spider-Man 2's game. The controls were spot on in Spider-Man 2, but I feel like they nailed the sense of scale just about perfectly in Spider-Man 3. I really felt like I was swinging between fucking buildings in Spidey 3, whereas in Spidey 2 they felt more like, I dunno, large rectangles that looked like buildings.  

Don't get me wrong, I loved Spider-Man 2, and I spent weeks--months, even--with that game whilst only spending a few days at most with Spider-Man 3. But I'm not sure that was indicative of anything intrinsic to the game. I think it was more the fatigue of the sort after I thought: "Oh, hey, this is a game I've kind of played before. It just looks/feels better."  

Regardless, I think people latch on to the pinnacle of Spider-Man games (Spider-Man 2, Ultimate Spider-Man) and think, "Man, I wish they were that good again." Except it's become kind of apparent, especially with Web of Shadows, that the relationship we saw blossoming between our friendly neighborhood wallcrawler and the open-world game genre just isn't working out anymore. Maybe it's just laziness on the past developers' parts, but this change signals--at least to hopeful gamers--that the current Spidey developers are aware of this stagnancy. At least on some level, they are.  

tl;dr -- It's a change from the typical free-roaming Spidey formula we've grown tired of, so it has potential to make Spider-Man feel fresh.  

(Though, let's get this straight--there's no bloody way it's anywhere near as good as Arkham Asylum. I just can't fathom it.)
    rezin8r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By rezin8r

Game looks fun. I didn't really see/hear any hype for this. 

I'll be getting it for my birthday in 2 weeks.

iKANNIBAL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

#13  Edited By iKANNIBAL
    @Hunkulese said:

" Are you aware this game is being made by french people? "

Not everyone in Quebec is french descent, my father was born there and he's Greek/Spaniard, there's a lot of people of scottish descent in Quebec too. 

Anyways op, having played Spiderman 2 and the majority of Spiderman games that have released i can honestly say Shattered Dimensions is better, Spiderman 2's appeal was mostly in it being a sandbox,  but it has been surpassed, Shattered Dimension is superior. Also i don't know of this hype that you speak of, Halo Reach is releasing this month thats all ive heard about ha!

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.