My Experience With Spiderman: Web of Shadows.

Posted by supermike6 (3530 posts) -

Sometimes I sit down, look at my shelf, and pick a random game that's usually about two years old. This led to me playing about three hours of Spiderman: Web of Shadows late last night. I assume most people have forgotten about this game, because it's not great.

Web of Shadows is very much built in the Spiderman 2 mold. You can just swing around beating up dudes, or do the missions (which involves beating dudes up also). When this game first came out, I spent a couple hours swinging around the city collecting all of the collectibles, so when I picked it up today my character was already extra powerful because of it. I found out I was about one-third of the way through the game already, so I started off facing Wolverine.

The strange thing about this game's combat is that it looks cinematic, but also mad-janky at the same time. When you are knocked away and do a cool roll to get yourself back up, it feels cool. But when you end up doing the same move over and over until Wolverine does another move to knock you back, it just looks dumb. I like it though. The combat is really all this game has going for it, and it's more satisfying when you're fighting multiple guys at the same time. It's probably impossible to die in this game, by the way. You have a lot of health, and when you get low, you can just kind of stick to a wall and regenerate it all.

In total, I faced three bosses in my three hours (I was skipping cut-scenes) and I realized something about this game that is quite frustrating. This game doesn't quite get health bars. In the Wolverine fight, I had to get him to three-quarters health before a mini cut-scene would play, and then he'd be at full health again. This happens about four or five times before you can finally get him down to zero. It's a bit silly. The same goes for the fight against the electric dude who's name I don't know (It's not Shocker).

The story (Again, I didn't watch cut-scenes) involves lots of symbiotes taking over New York City. The slimy stuff that made Venom infects a bunch of innocent civilians, so Spiderman has to beat them all up. Wolverine thinks Spiderman is a symbiote, so you beat him up and then he believes you're not. Then, I went and fought Venom, but he got away. I had to chase him, but I don't quite remember if I ended up killing him or not (It was late at night). Then, things were really bad, and everyone was a Symbiote. S.H.I.E.L.D came and were not very happy, so they sent me to help civilians escape to the safehouses. I fought an electric guy for some reason, and then I needed to rescue Kingpin because I guess he wants to help now instead of being a dick.

The structure of the game is very open world-like. You get a story mission, which are usually pretty fun. Then, it throws you in the open world, and says, "Kill five of these" and you kill five of those to unlock a new story mission. Maybe I don't play enough games, but I feel like games don't do this anymore, and for good reason.

Have I mentioned that this game is mad janky? Sometimes people will look like they're sticking to a wall, when they are standing on the ground. I clip through things all the time, and, on close examination, I realized my webs aren't actually sticking to anything but thin air. In the mission where I was rescuing Kingpin, I had to disable generators on his building. I'd get up to them, and an X button would appear on the screen. So, I pressed X. Spiderman fell off the generator. Then, I thought I should tap X. But Spiderman didn't seem to be responding to my X button pushes at all. It turns out I had to press X for about five seconds with absolutely no feedback before Spiderman would realize what's up and do whatever he did to the the generator.

I've completely forgot to mention the black/red system this whole time. You can change between normal Spidey and black Spidey with the press of a stick, but I never do it, because I like playing as normal Spiderman a whole lot more. This black/red system also works into the moral choice system in this game, which is just dumb. The execution, I mean, not the idea. Sometimes you get choices, where you get a menu screen that pretty much says, "Good or evil?". This only affects what allies you can call into battle, which you never need to do because it's so easy.

In conclusion, I'm probably going to beat this game. It's fun, even if it's quite repetitive, and kinda messed up. I don't think there's very long left to go, at least. I guess this is just the summer where I play a lot of games from 2008. (Okay, only three, but that's more than some of you).    

#1 Posted by supermike6 (3530 posts) -

Sometimes I sit down, look at my shelf, and pick a random game that's usually about two years old. This led to me playing about three hours of Spiderman: Web of Shadows late last night. I assume most people have forgotten about this game, because it's not great.

Web of Shadows is very much built in the Spiderman 2 mold. You can just swing around beating up dudes, or do the missions (which involves beating dudes up also). When this game first came out, I spent a couple hours swinging around the city collecting all of the collectibles, so when I picked it up today my character was already extra powerful because of it. I found out I was about one-third of the way through the game already, so I started off facing Wolverine.

The strange thing about this game's combat is that it looks cinematic, but also mad-janky at the same time. When you are knocked away and do a cool roll to get yourself back up, it feels cool. But when you end up doing the same move over and over until Wolverine does another move to knock you back, it just looks dumb. I like it though. The combat is really all this game has going for it, and it's more satisfying when you're fighting multiple guys at the same time. It's probably impossible to die in this game, by the way. You have a lot of health, and when you get low, you can just kind of stick to a wall and regenerate it all.

In total, I faced three bosses in my three hours (I was skipping cut-scenes) and I realized something about this game that is quite frustrating. This game doesn't quite get health bars. In the Wolverine fight, I had to get him to three-quarters health before a mini cut-scene would play, and then he'd be at full health again. This happens about four or five times before you can finally get him down to zero. It's a bit silly. The same goes for the fight against the electric dude who's name I don't know (It's not Shocker).

The story (Again, I didn't watch cut-scenes) involves lots of symbiotes taking over New York City. The slimy stuff that made Venom infects a bunch of innocent civilians, so Spiderman has to beat them all up. Wolverine thinks Spiderman is a symbiote, so you beat him up and then he believes you're not. Then, I went and fought Venom, but he got away. I had to chase him, but I don't quite remember if I ended up killing him or not (It was late at night). Then, things were really bad, and everyone was a Symbiote. S.H.I.E.L.D came and were not very happy, so they sent me to help civilians escape to the safehouses. I fought an electric guy for some reason, and then I needed to rescue Kingpin because I guess he wants to help now instead of being a dick.

The structure of the game is very open world-like. You get a story mission, which are usually pretty fun. Then, it throws you in the open world, and says, "Kill five of these" and you kill five of those to unlock a new story mission. Maybe I don't play enough games, but I feel like games don't do this anymore, and for good reason.

Have I mentioned that this game is mad janky? Sometimes people will look like they're sticking to a wall, when they are standing on the ground. I clip through things all the time, and, on close examination, I realized my webs aren't actually sticking to anything but thin air. In the mission where I was rescuing Kingpin, I had to disable generators on his building. I'd get up to them, and an X button would appear on the screen. So, I pressed X. Spiderman fell off the generator. Then, I thought I should tap X. But Spiderman didn't seem to be responding to my X button pushes at all. It turns out I had to press X for about five seconds with absolutely no feedback before Spiderman would realize what's up and do whatever he did to the the generator.

I've completely forgot to mention the black/red system this whole time. You can change between normal Spidey and black Spidey with the press of a stick, but I never do it, because I like playing as normal Spiderman a whole lot more. This black/red system also works into the moral choice system in this game, which is just dumb. The execution, I mean, not the idea. Sometimes you get choices, where you get a menu screen that pretty much says, "Good or evil?". This only affects what allies you can call into battle, which you never need to do because it's so easy.

In conclusion, I'm probably going to beat this game. It's fun, even if it's quite repetitive, and kinda messed up. I don't think there's very long left to go, at least. I guess this is just the summer where I play a lot of games from 2008. (Okay, only three, but that's more than some of you).    

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.