New Ultimate Spider-Man is half-black, half-latino

#1 Edited by Gerhabio (1977 posts) -

Just read this article of the same name talking about it. In a comic book universe where most main heroes are White it's cool they're doing this.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/08/02/new-ultimate-spider-man-half-black-half-latino_n_916468.html

Thought it would be interesting to bring to GB where more casual comic readers (appreciaters?) that don't visit Comic Vine that often could share in.

Edit: Here's CV's article http://www.comicvine.com/news/spoiler-marvel-reveals-the-new-ultimate-spider-man/143407/

#2 Posted by Cloudenvy (5891 posts) -

I can't really judge the new character until I know the reasoning behind his spider powers.

#3 Posted by The_Laughing_Man (13629 posts) -

Half black half Latino half spider? Thats a lot of halfs. 

#4 Posted by TheFreeMan (2712 posts) -

As someone who greatly enjoyed much of Ultimate Spider-Man, I think that it's dumb to kill an extremely recognizable hero and then have a random, new character take his place. The fact that they apparently did it to diversify the Ultimate universe baffles me even more. Why not just make up a new character and work to attain recognition? I mean, fuck, they killed, like, half the Ultimate universe in that Ultimatum nonsense (note: I have read very little Ultimate universe comics since Ultimatum). Not like it's too crowded. Feels a little cheap to me.

At any rate, despite my complaining, I hope that they keep up the quality. I was really digging USM.

#5 Posted by supermonkey122 (815 posts) -

iAy Dios Mio!

#6 Posted by jewunit (1056 posts) -
@Cloudenvy said:

I can't really judge the new character until I know the reasoning behind his spider powers.

Exactly.  It's not the complexion; it's the connection.  You have to have a good story for the character to mean something.
#7 Posted by RandomInternetUser (6789 posts) -

Fucking love that red and black costume.

#8 Posted by TooWalrus (13155 posts) -

I wonder if he's a secret Muslim...

#9 Posted by EuanDewar (4873 posts) -

I feel like someone should tell this news to Mega64.

I don't what but something about the sentence "Half Black, Half Latino Spiderman" screams Mega64 skit to me.

#10 Posted by SethPhotopoulos (5210 posts) -
@EuanDewar said:

I feel like someone should tell this news to Mega64.

I don't what but something about the sentence "Half Black, Half Latino Spiderman" screams Mega64 skit to me.

Derrick Acosta in blackface and the joke is complete.  Maybe terrible.
#11 Posted by dungbootle (2457 posts) -

Wasn't 2099 Mexican/Irish or something

#12 Posted by SethPhotopoulos (5210 posts) -
@dungbootle said:
Miguel O'Hara was his name and yes.
#13 Edited by Loose (419 posts) -

Sorry Marvel, but I don't think you're going to win over the "urban audience" so easily. The money is still in pasty white kids.

#14 Posted by ImpendingFoil (555 posts) -

Ultimate Spider-Man was one of my favorite comics ever and I have been collecting it since the very first issue came out 10 or so years ago. I was upset when they announced that the relaunch was going to have an all new Spider-Man that was not going to be Peter Parker, since he is currently dead. I guess really good writing had me really attached to the Ultimate version of the character and seeing that Peter Parker's story was over was a little disheartening . I just finished reading Ultimate Fallout #4 and it was, much like the rest of the series so far, very good. Especially the Bendis writing. I'm still not totally behind this new Spider-Man, since I think it is still just a poor grab at headlines and created partially on the campaign to get Donald Glover to be the new Spider-Man in the new movie which would have been pretty cool to see. I guess I've always attributed Peter Parker with being Spider-Man, even in the Ultimate universe.

I will say that Ultimatum was one of the biggest trash comics I have ever read and all it really accomplished was killing off many Ultimate characters for no reason other than Jeph Loeb wanted to. I am glad that this relaunch of the Ultimate universe currently has no traced of Jeph Loeb to be found.

#15 Posted by ImpendingFoil (555 posts) -

@dungbootle: You would think with all the games 2099 is popping up in they would do something new with that character.

#16 Posted by kingzetta (4307 posts) -
@SethPhotopoulos said:
@dungbootle said:
Really Miguel O'Hara? I can't decide if that's is amazing or horrible.
#17 Posted by SethPhotopoulos (5210 posts) -
@kingzetta said:
@SethPhotopoulos said:
@dungbootle said:
Really Miguel O'Hara? I can't decide if that's is amazing or horrible.
Regardless the comics were good.
#18 Posted by Trilogy (2648 posts) -

Wait... Peter Parker is dead?!

Wait... Donald Glover is going to be Spiderman in the next movie?! 

I'm way out of the loop on this stuff.

#19 Posted by Brendan (7734 posts) -

The new costume is looks cool, but that's about all I have to say about that.

#20 Posted by Chaoskiller2000 (306 posts) -

eh idk I hate that they killed off Peter Parker sick of Marvel killing off all these characters I grew up with instead of just retiring them. Should have been the guy who becomes spiderman 2099.

#21 Posted by HarlequinRiot (1098 posts) -
@SethPhotopoulos said:
@dungbootle said:
I randomly came in this thread with nothing to say or contribute, but that is fucking hilarious. 

But like people said, if it's a well written character it won't matter. If it's written just as a vehicle for black/latino culture injection (like if they make it Tyler Perry meets George Lopez the comic), then it will feel half-hearted and slightly offensive. If they can weave those cultures realistically and emotionally into the story, then it will be a good thing. In fact, they should just get Junot Diaz to do it.
#22 Posted by ImpendingFoil (555 posts) -

@Trilogy: There was a campaign to get Donald Glover to be Spider-Man in the new movie, it was unsuccessful though. They got Eduardo from The Social Network to be Spider-Man instead.

#23 Posted by SethPhotopoulos (5210 posts) -
@ImpendingFoil said:

@Trilogy: There was a campaign to get Donald Glover to be Spider-Man in the new movie, it was unsuccessful though. They got Eduardo from The Social Network to be Spider-Man instead.

After watching the trailer the kid they got seemed like a good Peter Parker but it would have been interesting to see a black Peter Parker on screen.
#24 Posted by ImpendingFoil (555 posts) -
This just wasn't meant to be.......
#25 Posted by Kyreo (4600 posts) -

I could be down for some Racially Mixed Spider Man action.

#26 Posted by innacces14 (735 posts) -

Maria Juana? POR QUE?!

#27 Posted by SethPhotopoulos (5210 posts) -

I also found this in my old comics.

Sorry they are flipped.
#28 Posted by Doctorchimp (4074 posts) -
@HarlequinRiot said:
@SethPhotopoulos said:
@dungbootle said:
I randomly came in this thread with nothing to say or contribute, but that is fucking hilarious. 

But like people said, if it's a well written character it won't matter. If it's written just as a vehicle for black/latino culture injection (like if they make it Tyler Perry meets George Lopez the comic), then it will feel half-hearted and slightly offensive. If they can weave those cultures realistically and emotionally into the story, then it will be a good thing. In fact, they should just get Junot Diaz to do it.
As a person with an Irish-american father and a Mexican mother....it ain't that funny....

In all seriousness though, I really doubt they're going to squeeze in how he agonizes over his sweet new sneakers, but at the same time fights for immigrant workers...wait I think I just made Spider-Man amazing...
#29 Posted by Hizang (8533 posts) -

I really hate it when they make kill off the original superhero and then have another guy come in with the same costume and powers and name. There is only one Peter Parker.

#30 Posted by Hailinel (24286 posts) -

As the editor of the website Topless Robot suggested, he should be gay, too, just to go for the trifecta.

In all seriousness, though, it's nice that they're creating a new minority lead character, but it seems forced that they killed Spider-Man (well, a Spider-Man) in order to do it.

#31 Posted by Vinny_Says (5700 posts) -

Chinese Colombian would be cooler, but whatever I don't even know what Ultimate Spiderman is.... 

Imagine a Spiderman that shoots spider webs but also has all of Escobar's secret money that he inherited to buy crazy gadgets, it would be an insane Batman/ Spiderman hybrid.

#32 Posted by satansmagichat (187 posts) -

@ImpendingFoil said:

This just wasn't meant to be.......

I am still down for this.

#33 Posted by dungbootle (2457 posts) -
@HarlequinRiot said:
@SethPhotopoulos said:
@dungbootle said:
I don't get it
#34 Posted by Dany (7887 posts) -

@Hizang said:

I really hate it when they make kill off the original superhero and then have another guy come in with the same costume and powers and name. There is only one Peter Parker.

Yeah, I like the whole thing that bruce banner is the hulk, tony stark is iron man and bruce wayne is superman. Having different characters take the mantle of the superhero has always been weird.

#35 Posted by ImpendingFoil (555 posts) -

@Dany said:

@Hizang said:

Yeah, I like the whole thing that bruce banner is the hulk, tony stark is iron man and bruce wayne is superman. Having different characters take the mantle of the superhero has always been weird

I would totally read Bruce Wayne being Superman.....

#36 Posted by Dookysharpgun (586 posts) -

In all fairness...Peter Parker was The Spiderman for a reason. His guilt and drive to use his powers for good as a result of his guilt defined him. What Spiderman was as a symbol came from Peter, it was his power, his responsibility, that was what Spiderman was all about. Unless this new guy has nearly the same origin story and powers, he isn't going to come close to being the embodiment of what Spiderman should be: A haunted hero, forcing himself to do the right thing to atone for his actions, resulting in the death of a loved one. With his death, ends that story, and Spiderman. Call this dude something different, make him his own hero, not the 'new' spiderman, and marvel will get support.

But I think making him half-Black and half-Hispanic is going a little far isn't it? Anyone else reminded of the show Community? How the dean wanted to include everyone by making a race-neutral mascot for the college? The iconic line "I think not being racist is the new racism" springs to mind, mostly because anything I hear about this new character, even from Marvel execs, involves his race. In my mind, race doesn't matter, but defining a character by their race/culture stinks of PC pandering to an audience that doesn't need it. It's 2011, racism is despised by any and all knowledgeable individuals...I'm all for a new superhero of different race/origin, but for the love of god, give him his own hero persona, don't stick him into another one just to seem more tolerant!

#37 Posted by solidejake (484 posts) -

Ehh... Ultimate Spider-Man was the only Ultimate character I liked, and I am not really sure about this guy.

#38 Posted by niamahai (1405 posts) -

HEY YOU GUYS STOP PANICKING

its the 'Ultimate' line of Marvel books. Basically its a more up-to-date version of all Marvel characters.

Marvel did this 10 years ago because main stream Marvel is a pile of convoluted continuity mess. I believe 2 years ago they killed a loooot of characters to have a fresh start again.

Example of characters killed

. Wolverine - adamatium skeleton ripped apart by Magneto

. Prof. X - Necks snapped by Magneto

. Magneto - Laser eye beam to death by Cyclops

. Cyclops- Headshot by unnamed Assassin while making a speech

. Jean Grey - Still alive but now is a brunette. I actually consider this character assassination

Back in the mainstream Marvel line 'o comics, Peter Parker is still a white dude who is sleeping with a CSi forensic technician and working as a inventor (yes, dudes who invent things) @ a R&D lab.

And also J.Jonah and Pete are step-brothers now since Aunt May married Jonah's dad.

Oh, Flash Thompson is the new government sanctioned Venom.

#39 Posted by Captain_Felafel (1561 posts) -

UGH. UGHHH. I can just smell the corporate boardroom politics in this character redesign. "We need to diversify. We need to get in touch with the "urban market" more."

#40 Edited by SethPhotopoulos (5210 posts) -
@niamahai said:

HEY YOU GUYS STOP PANICKING

its the 'Ultimate' line of Marvel books. Basically its a more up-to-date version of all Marvel characters.

Marvel did this 10 years ago because main stream Marvel is a pile of convoluted continuity mess. I believe 2 years ago they killed a loooot of characters to have a fresh start again.

Example of characters killed

. Wolverine - adamatium skeleton ripped apart by Magneto

. Prof. X - Necks snapped by Magneto

. Magneto - Laser eye beam to death by Cyclops

. Cyclops- Headshot by unnamed Assassin while making a speech

. Jean Grey - Still alive but now is a brunette. I actually consider this character assassination

And that was shit.
#41 Posted by ckeats (489 posts) -

Ultimate Spider-man is what got me reading comics in the first place, and I was very disappointed that they killed Peter. I'll still keep reading, just because I'm interested to see where this goes.

#42 Posted by JackSukeru (5909 posts) -

For some reason I just can't seem to deduce, the thought of a black Spider-man really speaks to me. That said, I have no investment in comic books whatsoever so I won't be reading them either way.

#43 Posted by niamahai (1405 posts) -

just so you know, I'm glad they didn't make him Asian American.

#44 Posted by dangerapple (16 posts) -

@Chaoskiller2000: i agree why did they kill nightcrawler cable spider-man etc

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.