New Spiderman Game To Be Revealed Soon

Posted by BradNicholson (812 posts) -

During the fabled investor call in which we learned about the death of Guitar Hero, one of the few IPs Activision still seemed excited about was Spider-Man. And as you’d suspect from the sequel-happy company, we’ll see a new title following Shattered Dimensions soon. In fact, we’ve got a reveal date, time, and place: Saturday, April 2, at some point between 4:30 and 5:30 PST, at WonderCon in San Francisco. 

According to an MTV report and a WonderCon listing, Shattered Dimensions developer Beenox will be giving a presentation during this time that’ll have the first "details, screenshots and videos” of the studio's new Spiderman game. The presentation will start, however, with a look back at Shattered Dimensions and lead into a discussion about what Beenox has learned from handling that specific project.   

== TEASER ==Here are the official details on the presentation from the listing, if you’re curious: 

Marvel, Activision, and acclaimed developer Beenox are headed to WonderCon with all-new Spider-Man videogame content! First, take a tour with Beenox down memory lane of the award-winning 'Spider-Man: Shattered Dimensions,' and discuss their post-launch reactions and what key learnings from the fans they are applying to future games. Next, be the first to check out exclusive details, screenshots and videos of the next Spider-Man game, with game development talent from Beenox, acclaimed Marvel writer Peter David (co-creator of 'Spider-Man 2099'), voiceover talent Josh Keaton (voice of 'Spider-Man in The Spectacular Spider-Man' and 'Spider-Man: Shattered Dimensions') and Marvel's VP of games production, TQ Jefferson.

I missed Shattered Dimensions, but I hear a lot of good things about it. It’ll be interesting to see what Beenox has up its sleeves with its next Spider-Man romp, especially since it's taking past feedback to heart. What do you want out of the next title?      
#1 Posted by BradNicholson (812 posts) -

During the fabled investor call in which we learned about the death of Guitar Hero, one of the few IPs Activision still seemed excited about was Spider-Man. And as you’d suspect from the sequel-happy company, we’ll see a new title following Shattered Dimensions soon. In fact, we’ve got a reveal date, time, and place: Saturday, April 2, at some point between 4:30 and 5:30 PST, at WonderCon in San Francisco. 

According to an MTV report and a WonderCon listing, Shattered Dimensions developer Beenox will be giving a presentation during this time that’ll have the first "details, screenshots and videos” of the studio's new Spiderman game. The presentation will start, however, with a look back at Shattered Dimensions and lead into a discussion about what Beenox has learned from handling that specific project.   

== TEASER ==Here are the official details on the presentation from the listing, if you’re curious: 

Marvel, Activision, and acclaimed developer Beenox are headed to WonderCon with all-new Spider-Man videogame content! First, take a tour with Beenox down memory lane of the award-winning 'Spider-Man: Shattered Dimensions,' and discuss their post-launch reactions and what key learnings from the fans they are applying to future games. Next, be the first to check out exclusive details, screenshots and videos of the next Spider-Man game, with game development talent from Beenox, acclaimed Marvel writer Peter David (co-creator of 'Spider-Man 2099'), voiceover talent Josh Keaton (voice of 'Spider-Man in The Spectacular Spider-Man' and 'Spider-Man: Shattered Dimensions') and Marvel's VP of games production, TQ Jefferson.

I missed Shattered Dimensions, but I hear a lot of good things about it. It’ll be interesting to see what Beenox has up its sleeves with its next Spider-Man romp, especially since it's taking past feedback to heart. What do you want out of the next title?      
#2 Posted by theveej (826 posts) -

spiderman! 

#3 Posted by Little_Socrates (5675 posts) -

I'd like to see Shocker in it.

#4 Posted by walterkovacsv (94 posts) -

This had better be the Turn off the dark game adaption!

#5 Posted by buckybit (1455 posts) -

never bought a Spiderman game since the 8-bit era. Let's hope it's not "Spiderman - the Musical. The Video Game." (featuring U2 music)

also, is there any room in a Batman world for a Spidey game? Really?

#6 Posted by Guybrush (84 posts) -
@walterkovacsv said:
" This had better be the Turn off the dark game adaption! "
Nah, that'd be frustrating, you'd die every 10 minutes and fall out of the sky randomly. 
#7 Posted by Yummylee (21509 posts) -

I just wanna hear more about that upcoming X-Men game.

#8 Posted by Twiggy199 (496 posts) -

disappointing....

#9 Posted by FreakAche (2953 posts) -

Wait a minute. If this is a follow-up to last year's Shattered Dimensions, I guess we can assume that it has nothing to do with next year's movie. Since Activision will probably also make a tie-in for the film, this newly announced game will probably come out this year, as to not steal their own thunder. Does that mean Spider-Man will be an annualized franchise now? That seems crazy, even for Activision.

#10 Posted by joetenac (6 posts) -

I hope they make a sequel to the old Playstation Spider-Man games.

#11 Posted by Sanj (2372 posts) -

It's probably going to be a game for the new Spiderman movie. 

#12 Posted by RE_Player1 (7558 posts) -
@Sanj said:
" It's probably going to be a game for the new Spiderman movie.  "
For sure. 
#13 Posted by SquirrelGOD (501 posts) -
@joetenac: Aww, man.  That's a bummer, but you're probably right.  The thing I was digging about the Spider-Man games, was that despite them not being all too great, they were at least trying some pretty crazy things out and not just sticking to any one thing (pun intended). 
#14 Posted by ckeats (489 posts) -
@joetenac said:
" I hope they make a sequel to the old Playstation Spider-Man games. "
This. I loved those games.  
#15 Posted by JackSukeru (5910 posts) -

I got my hopes up seeing that Noir Spiderman that they'd make an entire game based around him. That I'd actually be interested in.

#16 Posted by Brendan (7771 posts) -
@Little_Socrates said:
" I'd like to see Shocker in it. "
That's what she sai--wait
#17 Posted by adz117 (136 posts) -

Give me free swinging again please, with an open world that actually has something to do in it that isn't repetitive as hell.

#18 Posted by Undeadpool (4924 posts) -
@RockmanBionics said:
" I got my hopes up seeing that Noir Spiderman that they'd make an entire game based around him. That I'd actually be interested in. "
They made it. It was called Batman: Arkham Asylum. It was GREAT. 

In all seriousness, I actually really enjoyed (and S-ranked) Shattered Dimensions, so the fact that the traditionally difficult to pin down IP is sticking with the same developer gives me a little hope.
#19 Posted by chriskelly123 (177 posts) -

did anyone else like the game based on spiderman 2??  .... no?.... just me then :(

#20 Posted by Hizang (8532 posts) -

What they need to do, is stick to one universe, I enjoyed Shattered Dimensions, but I felt that they were not fledged out enough, I'd love to see Spider-Man game based in the Noir Universe
#21 Posted by JackSukeru (5910 posts) -
@Undeadpool said:
" @RockmanBionics said:
" I got my hopes up seeing that Noir Spiderman that they'd make an entire game based around him. That I'd actually be interested in. "
They made it. It was called Batman: Arkham Asylum. It was GREAT.. "
It was good, and pretty fun at times, but also had some pretty disappointing parts. Certainly no personal favorite of mine. 

As for Spiderman games, I haven't actually played one since the first movie game. These last few have looked alright though.
#22 Edited by Undeadpool (4924 posts) -
@RockmanBionics said:

" @Undeadpool said:

" @RockmanBionics said:
They made it. It was called Batman: Arkham Asylum. It was GREAT.. "
It was good, and pretty fun at times, but also had some pretty disappointing parts. Certainly no personal favorite of mine.  As for Spiderman games, I haven't actually played one since the first movie game. These last few have looked alright though. "
I'm just saying, if you liked the Spider-Man: Noir portions, the gameplay was pretty much lifted wholesale from Arkham (except the combat system), though I DO have to give them credit for crafting vastly superior boss battles for Shattered Dimensions. 
Web of Shadows is also worth a look, incidentally, if you want to get back into it. That and this are pretty much the best Spidey games to come out in a LONG time.
#23 Posted by Mads76 (23 posts) -

spiderman spiderman spiderman???

#24 Posted by Sevan (83 posts) -
@Guybrush said:
" @walterkovacsv said:
" This had better be the Turn off the dark game adaption! "
Nah, that'd be frustrating, you'd die every 10 minutes and fall out of the sky randomly.  "
hahahaha! EVIL!
but seriously, cant they take a break from the spiderman games? Make a solid Daredevil game, or jump back onto Wolverive (the movie adapt was bad ass).
 i hate how these companies can never let go of something... thats why i love bungie.
#25 Posted by AlwaysBeClothing (1462 posts) -

Shattered Dimensions was ok, I don't know how they can continue to make Spider-man games when Tony Hawk and Guitar Hero are being shelved.

#26 Posted by Hailinel (24418 posts) -

But will it have playable Spider-Ham?

#27 Posted by JJOR64 (18954 posts) -

Hey, look.  It's another Spiderman game.

#28 Posted by Xpgamer7 (2379 posts) -

I never know how to feel about spiderman news, as you never know if the game will be good or bad.

#29 Posted by Subjugation (4720 posts) -

It's Spiderman ...

#30 Posted by Beb (243 posts) -

I wish someone would make a Spider-man game that is as good as Arkham Asylum.

#31 Posted by Synthballs (2193 posts) -

Bet it won't be as great as Spiderman 2

#32 Posted by Coleslaw893 (409 posts) -
@chriskelly123 said:
" did anyone else like the game based on spiderman 2??  .... no?.... just me then :( "
I did! Still the best Spider-Man game IMO. 

I enjoyed Shattered Dimensions quite a bit, hopefully Beenox will be able to make this next one just as good. But, fix the camera problems....Spider-Man games have had terrible camera issues for over 10 years now, enough is enough.
#33 Posted by PoisonJam7 (349 posts) -

I hope it's an all Noir game! I don't care if it's a blatant ripoff of Arkham Asylum, I still loved it.

#34 Posted by Skullomania (135 posts) -

Well time to play the hope game again...
*Closes eyes, crosses finger and wishes*
Ultimate Spiderman 2, Ultimate Spiderman 2, Ultimate Spiderman 2, Ultimate Spiderman 2. C'mooonn Ultimate Spiderman 2.

#35 Posted by Kazona (3065 posts) -

I haven't been excited for a spider-man game ever since I played the atrociousness that was spider-man 3. 

#36 Posted by Cloudleet (155 posts) -
@joetenac said:
This or an HD remake of Spiderman 2 movie-tie in
#37 Posted by cstrang (2381 posts) -

They need to bring back the open-world aspects, improve the wall-crawling, and try to revamp the combat a little bit more.

#38 Posted by Eric_Buck (1289 posts) -

Hate Spiderman.

#39 Posted by Toxin066 (3282 posts) -
@cstrang said:
" They need to bring back the open-world aspects, improve the wall-crawling, and try to revamp the combat a little bit more. "
I completely agree.
#40 Posted by NickDynmo (174 posts) -

Spider-Man*.

Sorry, it bugs me. (No pun intended?)

#41 Edited by AstroCow (73 posts) -

I really enjoyed Shattered Dimensions. Sure it has its button-mashing moments. But overall it was great having 4 different Spider-Men to experiment with. A plethora of upgrades and achievements didn't hurt either.

#42 Posted by Bloodgraiv3 (2712 posts) -

Should be awesome. 
#43 Posted by captain_clayman (3320 posts) -
@joetenac said:
god, if only.  those games were some of my favorites as a kid.  
#44 Posted by TwoOneFive (9459 posts) -

in all honesty, this is hardly "news". 

#45 Posted by Coldbrand (215 posts) -

Too bad as an Activision game it's destined to be crap by default.

#46 Edited by Gerhabio (1977 posts) -
@captain_clayman said:

" @joetenac said:

god, if only.  those games were some of my favorites as a kid.   "
This. I want the one where you fight Carnage-Doc Ock at the end (I forgot the name) and you get fucking FIRE WEBBING
#47 Posted by carlthenimrod (1594 posts) -

Needless to say, nothing has been learned from Tony Hawk and Guitar Hero by Activision.

#48 Edited by Meowshi (2911 posts) -

Spiderman has to be the most over-utilized superhero in video games.  I can understand why, but they should probably look to someone else.   

That being said, I'd be totally down for an Ultimate Spiderman 2.  Game was fun.

#49 Posted by Piranesi (452 posts) -

After the initial hopes, that last game seemed to fade away very quickly. Not sure they can make Spiderman interesting enough (i.e. "do a Batman") given that he is basically a whiny jerk in the comic books. 

#50 Posted by SkinnyBlue (320 posts) -
@Meowshi said:
"Spiderman has to be the most over-utilized superhero in video games.  I can understand why, but they should probably look to someone else.    That being said, I'd be totally down for an Ultimate Spiderman 2.  Game was fun. "

Ultimate Spider-Man was an awesome game. I'd love to see a sequel as well.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.