Spike VGAs 2011 Discussion Thread

#1151 Posted by TheHBK (5407 posts) -

I truly think it is ironic that Alex is giving Keighley so much shit. I mean, I wonder how much Geoff actually had to do with it. You see the stuff they put on Gametrailers? Great stuff, great interviews. I doubt Spike gave him much leeway with who to put up there. And that is if he was even the one making those decisions. But you see maybe why you don't put some game developers up there and others you do. See Kojima vs Cliffy. And just giving awards would be useless. I think you need to get real gamer celebrities, Kutcher, Ice T, that hot chick from IGN. And guys like Jeffy G. Anyway, why did I say it was ironic Alex is giving so much shit about the show? Because he checks out the comments to the content he does on this site and tells people he doesn't give a shit what they think of him or what he did in a quicklook. But look at Geoff, kindly reply and ask what should be done differently. He if nothing else is a class act. Had Alex been criticized, he would have said fuck you guys I don't care what you think, I am gonna put the Dude that plays dexter next year to have more awkward moments.

#1152 Posted by algertman (852 posts) -

VGAs were horrible

Only thing worse than that was Alex Navarro's tweets. The man is painfully unfunny every time he makes a joke and all his tweets made him come off as a child with entitlement issues. Only saving grace was I didn't have to hear his voice like the live E3 stuff earlier this year.

#1153 Posted by Azteck (7447 posts) -

Are you kidding me? Modern Warfare 3 won best shooter? For fucks sake.

#1154 Edited by CodeFire (174 posts) -

@Azteck said:

What? They've ONLY won FPS of the year, every single year. Nothing questionable about that, not at all...

The VGA's - totally not a sham, and is worth the recognition/attention.

Sorry, I-I couldn't say that with a straight face.

#1155 Posted by Azteck (7447 posts) -
@CodeFire said:

@Azteck said:

What? They've ONLY won FPS of the year, every single year. Nothing questionable about that, not at all...

What bothers me more than that is the fact that this is why they keep making the same game over and over again, and totally getting away with it. If they keep getting game of the year even when their work should be considered mediocre at this point, there is no way they will dare innovate parts of it.
#1156 Posted by Sooty (8082 posts) -

The maps for Modern Warfare 3 are awful and make it even less undeserving than Black Ops which had the most retarded spawn system in a shooter in quite some time.

#1157 Posted by TobbRobb (4408 posts) -

People are actually watching the VGAs?

Why?

#1158 Edited by CodeFire (174 posts) -

@Azteck said:

@CodeFire said:

@Azteck said:

What bothers me more than that is the fact that this is why they keep making the same game over and over again, and totally getting away with it. If they keep getting game of the year even when their work should be considered mediocre at this point, there is no way they will dare innovate parts of it.

If they seriously make the same game they did this year, and people still give it praise, then I give up.

#1159 Posted by Azteck (7447 posts) -
@CodeFire: I just don't understand it. There are so many better shooters out this year than that game, especially considering that it's more or less MW2 again. Like where the hell is BF3? It was so much more refreshing than MW3 was. You don't even have to like the game to accept that.
#1160 Edited by CodeFire (174 posts) -

@Azteck said:

@CodeFire: I just don't understand it. There are so many better shooters out this year than that game, especially considering that it's more or less MW2 again. Like where the hell is BF3? It was so much more refreshing than MW3 was. You don't even have to like the game to accept that.

Yeah, BF3 was better. But it's not dude-bro enough. It is Spike TV, after all.

#1161 Posted by Azteck (7447 posts) -
@CodeFire said:

@Azteck said:

Aye, very true. Forgot that small detail
#1162 Posted by Winternet (7936 posts) -

@FluxWaveZ: Wheatley got the award for best male character.

#1163 Posted by AlisterCat (5398 posts) -

@CodeFire said:

@Azteck said:

The judges were paid, right guys!? Jeff, as one of the judges, probably voted for Gears 3 but that doesn't somehow make all the other judges votes invalid...

#1164 Posted by Milkman (16228 posts) -

@CodeFire said:

@Azteck said:

@CodeFire said:

@Azteck said:

If they seriously make the same game they did this year, and people still give it praise, then I give up.

Guys, if this is what you're angry about after last night's show, I think you're missing the point.

#1165 Posted by buzz_killington (3532 posts) -

"if you want it to be like the Oscars, you obviously haven't watched the Oscars in a decade." -Ryan Davis This is the truth, folks. The respectful and popular awards show you want from Spike does not and can not exist anywhere else, either.

#1166 Posted by Rahf (126 posts) -

@Winternet said:

I thought Stephen Merchant got "Best VO" and the Joker got "Best Character".

#1167 Posted by FluxWaveZ (19158 posts) -

@Rahf: Correct.

#1168 Posted by Nightfang (371 posts) -

@Rahf said:

@Winternet said:

I thought Stephen Merchant got "Best VO" and the Joker got "Best Character".

Joker won Character of the year.

#1169 Posted by Rahf (126 posts) -

Essentially the "Best Male Performance" and "Best Character" are synonymous with each other. The writing and acting are what make up both types.

#1170 Posted by Winternet (7936 posts) -

@Nightfang: @Rahf: Oh sorry duders. It's all a blur.

#1171 Posted by Lunar_Aura (2780 posts) -

@BionicMonster said:

@Lunar_Aura: didn't expect that reaction from a person with an anime avatar....oh wait.

Which reaction? When I suggested MK isn't the best fighting game of 2011, or that the list of award winners isn't some abomination reminiscent of previous Spike VGA's?

Hell, why am I even asking you? You made such a gross generalization, I shouldn't have even bothered. You might as well trim around my shaft since you're already on my nuts.

#1172 Posted by ZombiePie (5371 posts) -

I really side with what Kevin Dent (Chairperson of IGDA) has been saying on Twitter about the VGAs: 

For those saying that the #VGAs are bad for the industry, our industry is about making games and selling them, that is the purpose of it. We already have an Oscar like event and that is the DICE awards. But I enjoy the #VGAs and I enjoy that it drives money into developers hands. The fact about awards are that they are nice to have. However the award devs really want is for a player to insert and play their game.

#1173 Posted by the_OFFICIAL_jAPanese_teaBAG (4307 posts) -

Well looks like I didnt miss much.....

#1174 Posted by l4wd0g (1819 posts) -

Holy balls! Did the VGA producers forget about Jan -Aug ? What the hell! Not going to mention The Witcher 2, Crysis 2, Dead Space 2, Deus Ex...

#1175 Posted by SlightConfuse (3963 posts) -

Saints Row was not even on the list too

#1176 Posted by mnzy (2909 posts) -

Is this show archived anywhere? I would like to see a few things and couldn't really watch it last night.

#1177 Posted by CodeFire (174 posts) -

@Milkman said:

@CodeFire said:

@Azteck said:

@CodeFire said:

@Azteck said:

Guys, if this is what you're angry about after last night's show, I think you're missing the point.

Oh, no, it's not just that one thing. It's one of many, many, things.

#1178 Posted by PillClinton (3284 posts) -

So, if anyone's still wondering who the VGAs are made for, I present to you this gem of a vlog:

This very well may be the utter epitome of the VGAs' target demo.

I would hate to spoil anything, but just for a taste: insular worldview bordering on racism, seemingly genuine sexism, reference to game devs simply as, "the guys who made that game," incorrect pronunciation of several words, reference to appreciation of electronic music by way of namedropping only two producers (Deadmau5 and Skrillex), genuine appreciation and like for VGAs and teabagging in general, and, of course, love for all things COD multiplayer are touched on.

#1179 Posted by AhmadMetallic (18955 posts) -
@l4wd0g said:
Holy balls! Did the VGA producers forget about Jan -Aug ? What the hell! Not going to mention The Witcher 2, Crysis 2, Dead Space 2, Deus Ex...
No time to mention games man, this is a game awards show, its made for celebrity appearances and silly live contests 
#1180 Posted by WilyBoy (157 posts) -

Well I didn't watch the show at all, but reading over the winners of each category I'd say they're pretty spot on. I'm happy to see Bastion win best original soundtrack, especially.

#1181 Posted by leejohnson222 (2 posts) -

@Milkman: VGA was horrible as it is every year, why dont they handle it like E3, ran by the industry for the indsutry, we dont need any horrible celebraties talking shit and just showing up, seems to me the whole thing is just centred around who paid the most for marketing and advertising, how can nearly everyone win an award ?? its BS, made up categories like best motion game, come on now really ? so 7 year old kids and mums who play zumba/wii fit voted here did they? i doubt it. Awards created to please all developers, what a joke. I love skyrim but its a buggy mess how can a game be game of the year when the technical ability of the game is floored, and game play experience is so varied on different systems. I would say it was the game that had the biggest ambition and worth the money you pay for it, but i feel batman was robbed, rocksteady took a solid game and took it to the next level. Also how does joker win charater of the year but not voice actor of the year, is his voice not part of his character ? 360 didnt even win best game in a category with 2 of its own exclussives haha incredible.Best thing to do is simply wait till its over and watch the new trailers.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.