Spirit Camera: The 3DS AR Game I've Been Waiting For

#1 Posted by Hailinel (25201 posts) -

The 3DS is pretty cool. And now that the post launch drought has passed and more games are coming out for it, it's even better. But there's still one problem that's plagued the 3DS since launch. Namely, not enough games have used that fancy AR tech that Nintendo showed off with Face Raiders and those fancy pants cards that come with the thing.

But wait! Nntendo is actually publishing a full retail game next month that is AR dependent. Not this crazy tech demo stuff; an actual game. And the name of that game is Spirit Camera: The Cursed Memoir.

No, wait. Come back here. I know the title sounds like the name of a trash hidden object game, but it's actually a spin-off of the Fatal Frame series. Yes, that Fatal Frame series, with the ghosts, camera, and atmosphere of pants-shitting terror. So where does this AR stuff come in? The game is apparently coming with a notebook that's compatible with the AR camera functions, and the 3DS itself is the Camera Obscura. This isn't a side-mode; it's the core to the actual game. Crazy, I know.

What I don't know is much else about the game. It's rated T rather than M, but fuck it, I don't care about that. I am a sucker for Fatal Frame and I will play it. I don't know how Nintendo apparently gained some form of control over the Fatal Frame series, but if supporting this game in any way could give the faintest glimmer of hope to a U.S. Fatal Frame IV release or a more likely release of the Fatal Frame II Wii remake, then I will do it. Because god damn it, Fatal Frame is awesome.

#2 Posted by ImmortalSaiyan (4700 posts) -

That is a great idea in concept. Hopefully the game itself it good.

#3 Posted by Mento (2730 posts) -

Fatal Frame AR? Not a good game to play in the dark.

When Lemon and Bodega come back, they are going to have to hit those games hard in Fear Gauntlet Season 2.

#4 Posted by Hailinel (25201 posts) -

I found an overview of the game (in Japanese) on Youtube. Looks like it mixes the AR elements with traditional Fatal Frame combat:

The girl in the blue dress is Maya, who has been cursed and needs the player's help.

#5 Posted by liako21 (527 posts) -

quick look? Patrick likes horror game.

#6 Posted by Cincaid (2959 posts) -

@liako21 said:

I support the idea of a Quick Look (especially since the game doesn't seem to be very good, and those QLs are always more fun to watch!).

#7 Posted by habster3 (3600 posts) -

@Cincaid said:

@liako21 said:

I support the idea of a Quick Look (especially since the game doesn't seem to be very good, and those QLs are always more fun to watch!).

57. Ouch...

#8 Posted by Hailinel (25201 posts) -
@Cincaid

@liako21 said:

Except it's heavily AR depedent, which doesn't make for good 3DS quick looks. I'll see for myself relatively soon though, since I have a copy ordered through Amazon.
#9 Posted by TentPole (1858 posts) -

I have heard that there is only a couple of hours of content, but I am still a little curious.

#10 Posted by cosi83 (406 posts) -

Luigi's Mansion 2 will be the horror game of the year

Disappointed about the low reviews on Spirit Camera

#11 Posted by ttocs (775 posts) -

Has anyone been playing this game?  I've only heard bad things about it so far.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.