Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Splatoon

Game » consists of 8 releases. Released May 29, 2015

A third-person shooter/platformer hybrid that lets players paint the environment in colored ink and turn into squids to quickly traverse it. Along with a solo adventure and local one-on-one multiplayer, the game's main focus is its 4-on-4 online multiplayer battles.

I just want to play with the Pro Controller...

Venekor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

I don't get why they need to force useless crap on you and force you to use the Gamepad. Nothing they do with it cannot be done on the screen with a traditional UI, the first thing I did was turn off motion controls because they're horrible and I never look down at the screen once while playing. It isn't like you need to see the map, they're small and you can see where you need to spray and all the menu stuff they do on the screen could easily be done on the TV.

It isn't like I couldn't have the pad in it's cradle in front of me, use it when I want and then just use the pro controller while playing a game.

Kills the whole game for me.

GERALTITUDE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

User Lists: 2

I'm actually stunned you bought the game. Like, super stunned. Why didn't you read about it first? Could have saved yourself money and frustration. It's no mystery about the pro controller.

As for why only the gamepad? Well the answer is obvious. Nintendo wants everyone to have the map on hand. Full stop. You can think it's useless, but they obviously disagreed to a very extreme degree. So nothing to say there really.

At this point, I'd say just sell the game or possibly, wait, maybe enough people feel like you that Nintendo will patch for Pro Controller at a later date, or maybe you'll come around to the gamepad - you've barely played a few days at this point, to be completely fair.

jeff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 20

I will probably never understand people who can't handle the standard controller. It's roughly the exact same button placement, it's just stretched apart in your hand a bit to make room for a screen (which, in this specific case, is pretty useful when you're respawning). Is it too heavy for some people? Like a weird weight distribution thing or something?

ViciousReiven

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

The game was fully designed around those motion controls, the only reason the stick is even an option is because of whiners, you're going to be at a severe disadvantage if you don't use them.

Doubly so if you ignore the map, because people can and will take advantage of a team that's focusing too much on an area, slipping past and inking their base by yourself because no one is paying attention is how games are won.

Giant_Gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@geraltitude: i'm even surprised that he bought the whole console while knowing that everything is centered around the game pad.

BisonHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

I wish I could thumbs-up Jeff's post, because honestly, I don't get what people are complaining about either. The gamepad seems fine.

Like, A) you bought this console knowing full well that a majority of the exclusive games are going to have features that require the gamepad and its screen, and then B) I don't find the gamepad that heavy or inconvenient so I don't see why people are so hellbent on not using it.

carlthenimrod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

You can tap your teammates to jump to them. That's kind of important if you want to do something like jump on a teammate and flank the other team.

Efesell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I just can't play this game at all with the stick alone. I don't really like motion controls that much in general but this was designed for that scheme and done so in a really smart way.

Also if you are never looking at the map or using the touchscreen you are doing your teammates a real disservice.

Atwa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 10

#9  Edited By Atwa

I think its ignorant to say that anything the gamepad does could be easily done without. How do you make targeting with the inkstrike smoothly without it? Then you need to dedicate buttons to jumping to teammates.

Avatar image for deactivated-601df795ee52f
    deactivated-601df795ee52f

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@viciousreiven said:

The game was fully designed around those motion controls, the only reason the stick is even an option is because of whiners, you're going to be at a severe disadvantage if you don't use them.

Is this actually true? I remember Nintendo talking about how the gyro controls worked better than the sticks but I'd assumed that was just PR speak. I just can't imagine motion controls being more effective in a competitive third person game like Splatoon.

Atwa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 10

@viciousreiven said:

Is this actually true? I remember Nintendo talking about how the gyro controls worked better than the sticks but I'd assumed that was just PR speak. I just can't imagine motion controls being more effective in a third person game like Splatoon.

Gyro controls are actually very good if you get used to them, most people simply say "yuck" by the mere thought and I can't blame them.

I started learning to use it on Killzone Mercenary on the Vita, because I think the Vita sticks are not good for shooters. And man my game improved a lot. Once you get over the hump, you are definitely faster at aiming than with a stick. Though I am sure its not for everyone. Worth a real shot though.

codenamelenny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By codenamelenny

@jeff said:

I will probably never understand people who can't handle the standard controller. It's roughly the exact same button placement, it's just stretched apart in your hand a bit to make room for a screen (which, in this specific case, is pretty useful when you're respawning). Is it too heavy for some people? Like a weird weight distribution thing or something?

I find the pro controller to be extremely comfortable especially compared to the gamepad. Specially the space between the L+R and zL+zR buttons and the space between the right analog stick and the face buttons. The shape of the controller also fits perfectly in my hands.

Although in this case I disagree with the OP, splatoon's use of the gamepad outweighs the PROs of the PRO controller.

ViciousReiven

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@viciousreiven said:

Is this actually true? I remember Nintendo talking about how the gyro controls worked better than the sticks but I'd assumed that was just PR speak. I just can't imagine motion controls being more effective in a competitive third person game like Splatoon.

They're much more precise than you'd imagine, it's a lot like a mouse in regards to you're ability to make fine adjustments quickly, I can record a video showing the difference if you wish.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@atwa@viciousreiven Hm, interesting! I was initially planning to turn it off right away but I might just give it chance then.

ViciousReiven a video would certainly be cool if you have the time!

ThunderSlash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I dunno man, it seems like all you do is create threads complaining about stuff without ever returning to them. The gimmick is starting to get old.

BisonHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@thunderslash said:

I dunno man, it seems like all you do is create threads complaining about stuff without ever returning to them. The gimmick is starting to get old.

I mean, yeah, he's one of those users, but if they're his honest opinions, then he isn't breaking any forum rules. I also question why one would continue to make one-and-done "Hey guys, I'm already sick of this game/this console, maybe I'll sell it" threads and then vanish off the face of the Earth immediately after thread creation.

Onemanarmyy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#17  Edited By Onemanarmyy

@thunderslash: Agreed, it seems like this guy is just using the forums as his personal blog about things he dislikes.

If you don't want to be burned on things, at least inform yourself about the purchases you make.

ThunderSlash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@bisonhero: It's one thing to create a thread to have a discussion, but it's sorta shitty to just leave it there while everyone asks him questions that'll never be responded to.

LarryDavis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@thunderslash: Don't worry, he made sure to just post the same rant on the Splatoon review itself too, but with the added bonus of "THIS IS WHY I PLAY PC GAMES"

ViciousReiven

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@turtlebird95: My headset is busted, couldn't commentate, but here's a quick demonstration, first half is stick second motion:

Loading Video...

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@viciousreiven: Oh wow, yeah that actually does look a lot better. I'll definitely try it whenever I pick the game up. Thanks!

jsnyder82

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

If the first thing you did was turn off the motion controls, how was your problem not solved at that point? What's the difference between the gamepad and the pro controller, really?

Avatar image for deactivated-5f8907c9ada33
    deactivated-5f8907c9ada33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

The GamePad is fine. It's the exact same thing as a Pro Controller. Plus, you kind of need the map in Splatoon, tapping to warp to where your team is, and using the motion controls to play.

Anyone playing without motion controls is playing it wrong.

CommieNinja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I switched to the right stick as soon as I could, thinking it would be better, but after like one match went back to the motion controls. I found them to be way more precise than the stick. It just takes a few matches to adjust to them.

Also, I had no idea about the tapping your teammate to jump to them thing. Thanks, Internet!

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.