Worth a go if no prior Splinter Cell experience?

#1 Posted by MightyDuck (1444 posts) -

I've been on a military action kick after finishing Ghost Recon last week, which I really enjoyed. Anyway, would the Splinter Cell collection be worth a look if you've never played any of them before? I watched the quick look, and it looked like it could be fairly enjoyable.

Any help is appreciated. Thanks!

#2 Posted by Dagbiker (6900 posts) -

I never played any aside from Pandora Tomorrow. But splinter cell is an old school stealth game, do not be fooled. if you do not like replaying levels, and trial and error game play you may want to skip this.

#3 Posted by TentPole (1858 posts) -

The first two games have aged pretty poorly but Chaos Theory will always be great.

#4 Posted by MightyDuck (1444 posts) -

Thanks for the input guys. It sounds like some trial and error for sure.

#5 Posted by Demoskinos (13927 posts) -

You might be put off a bit by the earlier games because they are very trial and error and not up to date with modern stealth games BUT they ARE fun games if you can deal with that. Chaos theory is by far the best of the bunch and IMO the best in the series period. Id say go for it.

#6 Posted by RedRoach (1158 posts) -

I just bought this a few days ago actually. I only ever played Double Agent and Conviction. The first 2 haven't aged all that great, they look pretty rough too. But damn if Chaos Theory isn't one of the best games I've ever played, and it looks pretty good too. But like other people have said, you'll be doing a lot of quick saving/loading.

#7 Posted by MightyDuck (1444 posts) -

@Demoskinos: @RedRoach:

Thanks guys. I think I'll give it a shot then.

#8 Posted by Euphorio (77 posts) -

Yeah I jumped in on Splinter Cell Conviction….its a ton of fun and you may have to restart, but it’s definitely not a game where if you get caught u quick load…they give you a ton of ways to get out, and it even has co op that is really fun. My friend and I split it, and we both thought it was crazy fun

#9 Posted by Hizang (8534 posts) -

I'm wondering the same, never played any of the past games.

#10 Posted by Nightriff (4386 posts) -

I bought it and my only prior experience was conviction. I really enjoyed it and personally the added achievements/trophies made it more enjoyable. I think the ports are fine and if you really like sneaking games give it a go. I bought it day one for $40 so it's probably around 20 or 25 now.

#11 Edited by Jrinswand (1693 posts) -

I just finished Hitman: Blood Money for the first time (a fucking incredible game btw) and I decided that I wanted to play some more stealth games. I tried playing Hitman: Codename 47 but the controls were antiquated and crappy. No WASD? Different buttons for run/walk? You've got to be kidding. Then I tried playing Hitman 2: Silent Assassin but the shooting was too floaty. I should not be able to watch the arc of a bullet as it goes across the screen. So then I was thinking about playing Thief: Deadly Shadows, which I played a bunch on the Xbox but never finished, or getting the Splinter Cell Trilogy. What do you say, stealth aficionado duders?

Edit: Also, sorry OP. I just didn't want to start a new thread.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.