Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Splinter Cell

Franchise »

Tom Clancy's tactical espionage series starring Sam Fisher.

I feel like I'm the only person who enjoys this series

Vinny_Says

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 14

Edited By Vinny_Says

I feel like I'm the only person in the world who likes this series. All my friends who play games have no clue about these and not even one of the giantbomb guys likes this series. I hear everybody hating on them cause of the difficulty and trial and error. I feel so alone...

Why won't you love me?
     Why won't you love me?
    Vinny_Says

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By Vinny_Says

I feel like I'm the only person in the world who likes this series. All my friends who play games have no clue about these and not even one of the giantbomb guys likes this series. I hear everybody hating on them cause of the difficulty and trial and error. I feel so alone...

Why won't you love me?
     Why won't you love me?
    Andorski

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#2  Edited By Andorski

Listen to the Mobcast podcast (for the site bitmob.com).  Dan Hsu brings up that game almost every single week.

Skytylz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#3  Edited By Skytylz

I bet Tom Clancy likes the splinter cell series.

Vinny_Says

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Vinny_Says
    @Skytylz said:
    " I bet Tom Clancy likes the splinter cell series. "
    I feel more like he doesn't give a shit about it. He wrote none of the books or game scripts but got plenty of money off them.
    beargirl1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 24

#5  Edited By beargirl1

i was seconds away from buying Pandora Tomorrow a loooooong time ago, but i bought Burnout Revenge instead.  
    at this point, it seems like a hassle to track down all previous entries in the series and play them.. which is a shame because at some point i had interest in the series. 

Korone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#6  Edited By Korone

i love this goddamn series whyd the destroy it :(

angry pc gamer here

ventilaator

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 11

#7  Edited By ventilaator

Played Double Agent and couldn't have hated it more, never played another one since because of the past taste that game left in my mouth

= D

Vinny_Says

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Vinny_Says
    @Ventilaator said:
    " Played Double Agent and couldn't have hated it more, never played another one since because of the past taste that game left in my mouth  = D "
    I also did not enjoy double agent on the 360. But the original xbox version (see picture) I really enjoyed way too  much
    Rhode

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Rhode

For me the series peaked with Chaos Theory. Loved it. After that one I havent even played the full versions anymore. Conviction was just so "streamlined" it didnt feel like a splinter cell game anymore.

Linkin10362

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#10  Edited By Linkin10362

The real question is why do you have two copies of Double Agent?

I liked Splinter Cell as well though. Have played and beaten all of them. I really liked Double Agent, not sure why some people are hating on it.

HitmanAgent47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#11  Edited By HitmanAgent47

I like splinter cell games, way more than metal gear games because your getting authentic stealth and not fake stealth with action. Of course splinter cell conviction is different however I like the series. Even sam fisher takes the same martial arts I do, I know he's for real and based on real world stuff.

Vinny_Says

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Vinny_Says
    @Rhode said:
    " For me the series peaked with Chaos Theory. Loved it. After that one I havent even played the full versions anymore. Conviction was just so "streamlined" it didnt feel like a splinter cell game anymore. "
    Chaos Theory was the closest thing to a perfect game for me.
    Vinny_Says

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Vinny_Says
    @Linkin10362 said:
    " The real question is why do you have two copies of Double Agent?  I liked Splinter Cell as well though. Have played and beaten all of them. I really liked Double Agent, not sure why some people are hating on it. "
    the top one is the x360 version LOL
    Mmmslash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#14  Edited By Mmmslash
    @Linkin10362:  Double Agent was pretty different on the Xbox, compared to the 360. Whole sections were completely changed

@blacklabeldomm: I think the first three games are wonderful, but Double Agent was awkward and Conviction was hardly the same game anymore.
    Vinny_Says

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Vinny_Says
    @HitmanAgent47: His Krav Maga stuff got real scary when he started stabbing people in the spine and breaking their necks :(
    Linkin10362

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Linkin10362
    @blacklabeldomm said:
    " @Linkin10362 said:
    " The real question is why do you have two copies of Double Agent?  I liked Splinter Cell as well though. Have played and beaten all of them. I really liked Double Agent, not sure why some people are hating on it. "
    the top one is the x360 version LOL "
    Ah, since I couldn't see the top I just assumed it was another xbox one.
    Vinny_Says

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Vinny_Says
    @Linkin10362: my bad
    Ben

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#18  Edited By Ben

Chaos Theory is one of my favourite games from the last generation. I never played Double Agent and Conviction didn't do much for me (I still liked it, but Chaos Theory is a very hard act to follow, especially with the changes made to Conviction's mechanics), but I still love the franchise as a whole. It's hard to find pure stealth games anymore, unfortunately.

HitmanAgent47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By HitmanAgent47
    @blacklabeldomm: They don't teach that in the civilian version, only in the special forces version. However I already know how to do it, there are some DVDS that teaches you that, so I can add it to my krav maga.
    FrankWeidner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By FrankWeidner

Oh lordy where to begin? 

Okay, guess what? You're not the only person who loves this series. It may not be the biggest game franchises in existence, but it is still very popular. The only reason there have been so many games in this series is because people buy them and enjoy them. Also, your group of friends makes up a tiny, TINY portion of the general populace. 

Example: I own Dragon Quest IX. None of my friends own Dragon Quest IX. This does not mean I am the only person who has bought Dragon Quest IX.

DiscoDuck8k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By DiscoDuck8k
    Got a ton of enjoyment out of the original set, especially the first. Didn't like Double Agent one bit.

Conviction was fun, but I don't know... it didn't really feel like Splinter Cell. Sam kinda reminded me of Jack Bauer.
    Vinny_Says

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Vinny_Says
    @GilbertMordinAndSullivan: thanks for making me feel better...I guess?
    FrankWeidner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By FrankWeidner
    @blacklabeldomm: No problem! If I can make someone feel vaguely better but also somewhat insulted, I can sleep well.
    TheGreatGuero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By TheGreatGuero

I think it's a pretty great series. I still need to try out Splinter Cell: Conviction. I definitely look forward to playing that one.

TethysOssian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By TethysOssian

Only one I haven't played was Chaos Theory.  Guess I should get on that.  I remember seeing the original at a friends house and thinking that it was too slow paced and more of a exercise in patience while you waited for passing guards to get right where you wanted them, which was true for a good deal of the first game.  I eventually picked up the game cheap for the gamecube and found myself enjoying it quite a bit especially the missions where you could go balls to the wall and kill everyone, since they were rare in the first games.  Double Agent really did seem to be a low point in the single player department but it's multiplayer was fun once you figured it out.  My roommate and I would quote the lines from the beginning of the matches rather often "your mission is to infiltrate the enemy compound and extract the information from the terminals" or "The green terminal is under attack!".  Conviction was definitely a change where you almost never had to be stealthy if you had a good trigger finger and precision but also a rather enjoyable co-op and multiplayer.

Forever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Forever

Ive bought everyone since they came out, up to double agent ( i actually really enjoyed double agent). But alas my love stopped with Conviction. That's because i like stealth games. Oh and I don't care about his daughter.

Cold_Wolven

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Cold_Wolven

I was probably the only one of my group of friends that liked the series, I have all 5 games. Unfortunately that series started losing me after Double Agent, it was no longer about stopping the terrorists but rather about some personal vendetta Sam had throughout Conviction. Maybe the series needs to focus on a new Third Echelon agent, lets face it Michael Ironside isn't as a good as what he use to be.

gamer_152

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 71

#28  Edited By gamer_152  Moderator

That series wouldn't be as well-known as it is without having quite a lot of people playing it. I've never really been a fan of stealth games because of the whole trial-and-error style that they use and the general pacing, however I have played a fair amount of Splinter Cell: Conviction with one of my friends and I have to say that's an enjoyable game.

Kovie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Kovie

You know... I own everything there, minus Conviction,  plus two novels.

I have very different sentiments regarding each game, but I think I respect the original and Pandora Tomorrow the most -- in the sense that they didn't even care about the levels of demanding and retrial they required.  They (Or at least the first) also had a really good spy intrigue to them, and it generally wasn't overblown. 

But with Conviction gutting the existing story and characters, I lost just about all previously acquired attachment to Chaos Theory and up, as those games stand together, in a way.

Long story short: I miss the days when you actually had to find a keycode, or drag a guy to a retinal scanner.  And if you didn't?  MISSION OVER.

Bennyishere

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 5

#30  Edited By Bennyishere

Dude, I love Splinter Cell. I am with your 100% percent. Now let's get married.

zombie2011

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#31  Edited By zombie2011

Yep you're the only one, everyone else hates those games. You're unique.

markini6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 20

#32  Edited By markini6

I got a lot more joy from the meticulous gameplay of Chaos theory than the more recent action oriented games such as Double Agent and Conviction. Can anbody recommend any stealth games that are like how Chaos theory was, i.e. slower paced and about being stealthy and not just killing? I'm on the PS3 and I enjoyed MGS4, but I still shot far too many people to regard it as purely stealthy.

Icemael

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

User Lists: 20

#33  Edited By Icemael

I like the series. Double Agent is the only entry I'd consider truly great (I'm probably gonna get a lot of shit for that), but Pandora Tomorrow and Chaos Theory were pretty good, too.

rawrz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By rawrz

Chaos Theory was easily one of the best games on the original xbox. I also loved the original and though it seems most people hated it, I very much loved playing through Double Agent. Never played Pandora Tomorrow or Conviction though.

WickedFather

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By WickedFather

I'm a big fan of the series.  Played everything except the new one, and yes, both versions of Double Agent and the 360 version isn't the best one.  Here's an entry from my gaming diary:

Splinter Cell: Pandora Tomorrow finished Sat Morn 25th of March 06.

Played it on normal and after the first one it felt like a day out shopping.  I still enjoyed it, and there was far less of the dying again and again and again on the same bit, apart from the very last bit where I was first of all drunk and kept falling down the lift shaft
    "Fisher, the lift's stopped" - "Thank's Lambert." if I have to hear that again - CHRIST!
    And then I couldn't suss out what the fuck to do in the room with the catwalks, and didn't realise the timedown was to get to the medicine, not Soth running away.  Once I nuked them all with a gas grenade, then went straight to the pox box and it fucking ended the level with a fail and told me to hide the fucking bodies!  All I had to do was kill the sleeping fuckers, but why didn't Lambert say that to me instead of being a toasted cunt with cheese and pickle.
    It didn't take too long to complete, and I pined for it straight away after finishing it.  I didn't want to move onto Chaos Theory straight away in case I got Zelda Fatigue.  I'll play it again on hard one day.  For £1.25 it's not worth
    getting rid of, and maybe I can play it online sometime soon when I use my trial card.
    Technically I actually didn't see any improvements over the first.  If anything there were less lighting effects, or I've already become used to them.  There was far less camera avoidance, too, and I don't think I used a disposable pick once.  Bits where you had to use a pick in the first because that's all the time you had were great tension builders.  Actually thinking about it, when you're in the grass in the one jungle bit that is fucking lovely.

It will need reviewing again when played on hard but:

Bad Bits:
        * Soth on the train after the conversation.  It seemed like going back to his room was sensible, not just hiding like a little chicken.
        * Realising what the hell was happening on the last bit - climbing those fucking rods!
        * Still takes fucking AGES to smack people in the chops with his elbow
        * Standing up while running - you have to pause
        * Pointless hanging and shooting move seen only once during training
        * Sam looks better in cgi bits in the first one

RobotHamster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By RobotHamster

I'm a big fan of the series with chaos theory being my favorite.  But the recent one kinda let me down, it was good but there were a lot of bugs for me and after beating it twice on hard I still didn't get the achievement.  Five games in I guess the series is starting to get stale.

Meltac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By Meltac

Conviction was shit, but Chaos Theory is fantastic game.

wolf_blitzer85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By wolf_blitzer85

I loved whispering profanity into a mercs ear right before I snapped his neck....oh good times.

DocHaus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#39  Edited By DocHaus

Until he disappeared from GB, I was working on a podcast for Splinter Cell: Conviction with End_Boss and another duder (that never got published because he never sent us the friggin file before he vanished). I've been a fan of the Splinter Cell series ever since the first one came out, and IMO Chaos Theory was the peak of the series. I would still recommend it today to anyone who wants to play it for the first time.

Personally, I hated Double Agent simply because it claimed it would give you a choice in how to play the story but the game took away all that choice and gave you the same "twists" you could find in an episode of 24. Also, it gave you the exact same gear you had as an NSA agent with no explanation, even though you were working with a terrorist group. Not to mention they just watered-down everything I loved about the multiplayer. Conviction was a better on this, but the multiplayer felt more like more of the same from Rainbow Six Vegas 2 except you could only play with 2 people and some stealth elements were tacked on to make it seem "new." Still, snapping necks and shooting chandeliers onto people never gets old.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.