Prince of Persia and Splinter Cell HD Collections Listed Again

• 49 results
Posted by BradNicholson (812 posts) -

It appears as if Ubisoft plans to get into the HD rerelease game alongside developers like Team ICO and SCE Santa Monica Studio. For the second time in the last few months, a European retailer has listed two separate boxed collections featuring works from two of Ubisoft's most popular franchises: Prince of Persia and Splinter Cell. The retailer in question this time is a UK one called Zavvi, and like our own retailers such as GameStop or Walmart, Zavvi isn't exactly in the business of listing fake PS3 games, so it wouldn't surprise us if these collections turned out to be real.

Previously, both these sets--dubbed Splinter Cell Trilogy: HD Collection and Prince of Persia Trilogy: HD Collection--were listed by Amazon France in August, according to Eurogamer

Zavvi, on top of listing these titles for around 30 quid a piece, is taking pre-orders on them. Oddly, there's a great time expanse between the expected arrival dates. The Splinter Cell collection is penciled in for a November 26, 2010 launch, while the Prince of Persia set is said to be arriving in March 2011. Both are set to be PS3 exclusives.

Splinter Cell, not in HD. 

== TEASER ==The persistence of these listings is interesting, and while persistence doesn't equal confirmation, it's important to remember how often we saw the ICO/Shadow of the Colossus HD collection crop up on various European retailers' websites before it was announced last week. The God of War Collection, which bundled HD versions of God of War and God of War II, was heavily rumored before it was announced, too.

What games should we expect from these supposed collections? It seems reasonable that the Splinter Cell Trilogy would include the original Splinter Cell, Splinter Cell: Pandora Tomorrow, and Splinter Cell: Chaos Theory. The Prince of Persia collection might include the Sands of Time titles, which includes Prince of Persia: The Sands of Time, Prince of Persia: Warrior Within, and Prince of Persia: The Two Thrones. Neither listing, though, goes into detail about what will be offered. The listings just simply exist. 
#1 Posted by BradNicholson (812 posts) -

It appears as if Ubisoft plans to get into the HD rerelease game alongside developers like Team ICO and SCE Santa Monica Studio. For the second time in the last few months, a European retailer has listed two separate boxed collections featuring works from two of Ubisoft's most popular franchises: Prince of Persia and Splinter Cell. The retailer in question this time is a UK one called Zavvi, and like our own retailers such as GameStop or Walmart, Zavvi isn't exactly in the business of listing fake PS3 games, so it wouldn't surprise us if these collections turned out to be real.

Previously, both these sets--dubbed Splinter Cell Trilogy: HD Collection and Prince of Persia Trilogy: HD Collection--were listed by Amazon France in August, according to Eurogamer

Zavvi, on top of listing these titles for around 30 quid a piece, is taking pre-orders on them. Oddly, there's a great time expanse between the expected arrival dates. The Splinter Cell collection is penciled in for a November 26, 2010 launch, while the Prince of Persia set is said to be arriving in March 2011. Both are set to be PS3 exclusives.

Splinter Cell, not in HD. 

== TEASER ==The persistence of these listings is interesting, and while persistence doesn't equal confirmation, it's important to remember how often we saw the ICO/Shadow of the Colossus HD collection crop up on various European retailers' websites before it was announced last week. The God of War Collection, which bundled HD versions of God of War and God of War II, was heavily rumored before it was announced, too.

What games should we expect from these supposed collections? It seems reasonable that the Splinter Cell Trilogy would include the original Splinter Cell, Splinter Cell: Pandora Tomorrow, and Splinter Cell: Chaos Theory. The Prince of Persia collection might include the Sands of Time titles, which includes Prince of Persia: The Sands of Time, Prince of Persia: Warrior Within, and Prince of Persia: The Two Thrones. Neither listing, though, goes into detail about what will be offered. The listings just simply exist. 
#2 Posted by Ryax (4630 posts) -

ooooh hd splinter cell. i enjoy

#3 Posted by Toxin066 (3287 posts) -

Wait, so you're telling me that there is a rumor about old games getting an HD upgrade?

Well shit, Brad2. Now I've heard everything.

#4 Posted by Icicle7x3 (1180 posts) -

HD Splinter Cell Chaos Theory?

Sign me up!

#5 Posted by Gunrock (144 posts) -

Stop.

#6 Posted by tgammet (93 posts) -

I bought the God of War collection, and I'm buying the ICO collection... I've even considered the upcoming Sly Cooper collection. These though? I have them all on PC and they still play fine.

#7 Posted by Everyones_A_Critic (6299 posts) -

I like this idea, I'd love to see the GTA trilogy (3, Vice City, San Andreas) get the HD treatment...Or just revamped entirely with the GTA IV engine. I'd gladly play them all again.

#8 Posted by wapostyle (154 posts) -

Dunno about you guys but I clearly remember running Splinter Cell on my PC in greater than HD resolutions. Good old days of Dell P90 CRT monitor running at 1600x1200

#9 Posted by PLWolf (926 posts) -

HD PoP? I'll take that. Guess it really is time to say goodbye to my old whiny 60GB PS3 and get a PS3 Slim. No need to have the PS2 emulation if everything is getting the HD treatment with the added benefits of Trophies.

#10 Edited by xyzygy (9988 posts) -
@TheWolf619 said:

" HD PoP? I'll take that. Guess it really is time to say goodbye to my old whiny 60GB PS3 and get a PS3 Slim. No need to have the PS2 emulation if everything is getting the HD treatment with the added benefits of Trophies. "

Lol, "everything." 

There are still thousands of games left to be HD-collection'ed after Splinter Cell and PoP. Don't get rid of that BC PS3, they are the best version if the PS3. Trust me, I have a non BC PS3 and I envy you greatly for it. These HD collections are nothing compared to the huge library of games for the PS2 you'll be sacrificing.
#11 Edited by Shivoa (625 posts) -

So... they're re-releasing the PC versions recompiled and bundled for PS3?  Or they're evening the field now that b/c PS3s aren't exactly the majority and porting the PS2 stuff (the 360 has 720p versions of the SC games through b/c, only the first PoP works according to their old list)?  Not sure either way will be massive sellers TBH.  I'm glad I've got them on the PC already at 1080p (or whatever your monitor can provide). 

edited: spag

#12 Posted by nick_verissimo (1385 posts) -

I definitely like this trend.  It's saving me the hassle of having to go out seek games that are becoming harder and harder to find.  It also helps that up are converting the games to HD and adding trophies; keep it up game industry!

#13 Posted by SileoNex (66 posts) -

I don't think the PS2 version of Chaos Theory in HD would look as good as the Xbox version.

#14 Posted by spartan1017 (222 posts) -
@Icicle7x3:
i second that motion
#15 Posted by Ghostiet (5272 posts) -
@Everyones_A_Critic said:
" I like this idea, I'd love to see the GTA trilogy (3, Vice City, San Andreas) get the HD treatment...Or just revamped entirely with the GTA IV engine. I'd gladly play them all again. "
The GTA trilogy getting a HD revamp doesn't make sense, since the graphics are bad. And reworking them in the GTA4 engine is, well,  a great joke.
#16 Posted by radioactivez0r (847 posts) -

I've still got 2 of the 3 PS2 PoP games here unplayed.  WHAT TO DO!?!?

#17 Posted by OldManLight (846 posts) -

I could get down on some hd splinter cell, achievements would make it an automatic buy.

#18 Posted by phrosnite (3518 posts) -

I don't know about you but if they release Splinter Cell Trilogy HD and Prince of Persia Trilogy HD for $30 each I am buying them for sure.

#19 Posted by WilliamHenry (1203 posts) -
@OldManLight said:
" I could get down on some hd splinter cell, achievements would make it an automatic buy. "

PS3 exclusives as far as we know.
#20 Posted by oliveshark (52 posts) -
@Icicle7x3: I concur! They did the right changes to that game that time around. Would definitely go through that another time.
#21 Posted by UnsolvedParadox (1863 posts) -

Oh man, I own both series in their entirety...and have never played any one of the games. HD Collection sounds like a good way to start!

#22 Posted by billnyethesciencepie (1335 posts) -

STOP WITH THE FUCKING HD REMAKES, THEYRE A POOR EXCUSE TO DREG MORE MONEY OUT OF A GAME THATS WAY PAST ITS PRIME.

#23 Posted by gexecuter (196 posts) -

After playing the original Splinter Cell on PC right after finishing Chaos Theory i gotta say Chaos Theory makes the other game look pretty bad, Chaos Theory was a massive jump in quality so i would only be interested in trhe HD version of Chaos Theory.

#24 Posted by DiGiTaL_SiN (1789 posts) -

I'm mostly excited for the PoP HD collection.

However, "quid"? lol

#25 Posted by Mystyr_E (1190 posts) -

I facepalm at you. Considering people can't even find the games in retail usually without using Amazon or something, plus these will have better graphics and trophies, these deals are amazing for people who can't find these games anymore or never played them before (like me and Splinter Cell)

#26 Posted by RocGaude (8 posts) -

If they can make the original Splinter Cell easier to control, I'll give it a spin.

#27 Posted by blaakmawf (543 posts) -

I'm totally down for the POP games. Kinda wish they were downloadable though.

#28 Posted by kalmis (1558 posts) -

HD and achievos!?! Where do I sign up? Not interested in Splinter Cell box collection since I played all those, but Pop.. sure 

#29 Posted by salad10203 (654 posts) -

Wow.  What a deal, BTW.  Chaos Theory is not better than PT and original. 

#30 Posted by AndrewB (7613 posts) -

I could totally go for a Splinter Cell series "HD remake". The whole series on as few discs as possible. Those games were all pretty great for what they were.

#31 Posted by DarkFury (369 posts) -

I'd get both. PoP because i never played 2-3, and SC because they are my favourites.

#32 Posted by karatetron (692 posts) -

Aw shit. The HD Splinter Cell pack had better come out on the 360 as well.

#33 Posted by zitosilva (1840 posts) -

Don't care about Splinter Cell. Prince of Persia, though, that I'd buy. I'd love playing a HD version of Sands of Time.

#34 Posted by get2sammyb (6412 posts) -
@DiGiTaL_SiN said:
" I'm mostly excited for the PoP HD collection.  However, "quid"? lol "
Haha. It's slang for "Pounds".
#35 Posted by killer_meatballs (461 posts) -

Sweet.  Splinter Cell: Conviction was the fist SC game for me.  I will pick this up.

#37 Posted by TorMasturba (1094 posts) -

Playing through some of my favourite old games in HD and getting achievements for it too? 

PoP not so much, but SC? hell yeah!

#38 Posted by Brodehouse (9949 posts) -

Dude, Silent Hill 2-4, get on it.

Metal Gear 2 and 3, go.

Konami, what the fuck are you doing?

Oh that's right.  One mirrion troops.  Wowwwwww.

#39 Posted by d0x (132 posts) -

I will buy the HD versions of Splinter Cell provided they are ported from the Xbox or PC versions and not the hacked up, dumb down, uglified ps2 and gcn ports.

#40 Posted by CR7 (1 posts) -

As someone who has only really gotten into gaming in the last few years I'm quite looking forward to more of these remake 'packs'. I enjoyed the God of War games even though some of the elements do feel a bit archaic. Hope publishers don't start to remake every half decent game from the last 10 years though, the focus should be on the future. 

#41 Posted by Jack268 (3387 posts) -

2 of my favorite franchises from the PS2 in glorious HD with trophies? 

Only collections missing now are Jak&Daxter and MGS and I'll be on easy street for the rest of my life.

#42 Posted by Wormy22 (77 posts) -

Also listed on the websites for Asda, Lovefilm and SendIt so I would assume it's real

#43 Posted by Peacemaker (1104 posts) -

I would definitely take an HD collection of PoP.

#44 Posted by SleepyDoughnut (1211 posts) -

Did not expect this, but I would definitely be interested in the PoP one.

#45 Posted by gexecuter (196 posts) -
@salad10203 said:
" Wow.  What a deal, BTW.  Chaos Theory is not better than PT and original.  "
I can't speak for PT for but for the original Splinter Cell, Chaos Theory is way superior, much more streamlined.
#46 Posted by cooljammer00 (1729 posts) -

I'd rebuy PoP if it meant trophies and such.  Never finished TT, never even played WW.  Maybe they can fix all the bugs and remove the Godsmack songs due to lost licensing or something.

#47 Posted by AuthenticM (3730 posts) -

Square Enix needs to hop on this train. Final FAntasy X, X-2, XII, Valkyrie Profile 2, Star Ocean 3. There is money to be made, and happiness to give. :)

#48 Posted by DiGiTaL_SiN (1789 posts) -
@get2sammyb said:
" @DiGiTaL_SiN said:
" I'm mostly excited for the PoP HD collection.  However, "quid"? lol "
Haha. It's slang for "Pounds". "

"Pounds"? lol
#49 Posted by AngeTheDude (672 posts) -

I'd get the Splinter Cell collection if it wasn't a PS3 exclusive. I'll get the PoP collection though, no questions asked.

#50 Posted by salad10203 (654 posts) -
@gexecuter:   For me personally, the third one tried to do too much and it ended up being too easy.  I feel the first two games felt more "spy-ish" and the third one was trying to merge shooting with stealth.  Which eventually would become SC: Conviction.  But again, opinion.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.