Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Split/Second

Game » consists of 13 releases. Released May 18, 2010

Split/Second is an arcade racing game by developer Black Rock Studio. The game takes place in a made-for-TV city designed for destruction.

Why does Split Second's ending have a semblance of plot?

MooseyMcMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 13

Edited By MooseyMcMan

I was playing Split Second the other day, and after completing the final elite race in Season Mode, I was surprised to see the game attempt some sort of story, and of course it was a twist cliff-hanger ending. 

Now, I don't really mind twist/cliffhanger endings, but why have the end of the game be the only bit with story? Up to that point, the only "story" was the premise for the game (it's a TV show). Why even bother throwing plot in it? Clearly if people played to the end they didn't need to be motivated by story to do so (the game is quite fun).  

Well, I guess that if they're going to be changing something in the eventual sequel, it does help to explain why, but why not just explain it in the sequel? Or perhaps have there be bits of plot throughout the whole game? Why not hint at what happens at the end throughout the game instead of simply throwing it in at the last minute?

MooseyMcMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#1  Edited By MooseyMcMan

I was playing Split Second the other day, and after completing the final elite race in Season Mode, I was surprised to see the game attempt some sort of story, and of course it was a twist cliff-hanger ending. 

Now, I don't really mind twist/cliffhanger endings, but why have the end of the game be the only bit with story? Up to that point, the only "story" was the premise for the game (it's a TV show). Why even bother throwing plot in it? Clearly if people played to the end they didn't need to be motivated by story to do so (the game is quite fun).  

Well, I guess that if they're going to be changing something in the eventual sequel, it does help to explain why, but why not just explain it in the sequel? Or perhaps have there be bits of plot throughout the whole game? Why not hint at what happens at the end throughout the game instead of simply throwing it in at the last minute?

eliterequiem

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By eliterequiem

i dunno but the sound in the directors voice near the end made me lol very loudly. and i just find myself wondering... Why cant WE drive through that end scene, THAT would be fucking awesome!

Avatar image for deactivated-5e49e9175da37
    deactivated-5e49e9175da37

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

After a week of racing, getting that hilarious cliffhanger really left a good taste in my mouth about Split/Second.  "Oh no!  They were taken off the air in '82!" 

Racing isn't something I can do as a full-time video pastime... I have about one or two racing games in me every year.  I'm glad I spent it on Split/Second, and now I'd be interested in picking up the sequel.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.