Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

'Splosion Man

Game » consists of 2 releases. Released Jul 22, 2009

A 2.5D side-scrolling action-platformer from Twisted Pixel featuring a military experiment gone wrong, resulting in a molten man who can ’splode at will!

'Splodin

yarles

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 4

Edited By yarles

I recently finished 'Splosion Man which was released on XBLA  two weeks ago. I downloaded the trial version when the game landed on Xbox Live's virtual shelves and I wasn't convinced that it was worth buying at the time. I must say that I usually am very skeptical concerning these types of games (XBLA Games) and that the purchases I made in the past were a bit compulsory and not entirely satisfying. So after all the good reviews and the hints about the amazing ending, I finally bought the damn thing!  

PhD Grade Beef
    PhD Grade Beef

The overall quality of the presentation in this game is quite surprising. There's a great sense of scale in each level and it makes you wonder why those scientists built such an elaborate lab for you to 'splode in. The 'splosion man character is quite entertaining to watch and the "meat-filled" scientists running for their lives all deserved the cruel death I brought upon them. ^_^

The difficulty ramps up steadily as you get better at timing your 'splosions. I got quite frustrated on different portions of certain levels (cheap flying robots anyone?) and I started to get a bit twitchy after my 30th attempt on the same jump.

Overall I think that this game proves to be an excellent platformer, a genre that is not so popular nowadays. I think that the release of
    "What is a man?!"
    'Splosion Man also brings up the whole "old games were much harder" debate back in the picture. Speaking of older titles, I was honestly shocked when I got to play Castlevania: Symphony of the Night on XBLA. I was reminded of how unforgiving the game was and the whole "inverted castle" business blew my mind once again! All in all, the nostalgia attached to old platformers is positive in my opinion. I'm also happy that old titles aren't crushed under a stack of brand new FPS games year after year.

So if you feel the same way as I do towards old ass games like these, I think you should give a nice pat on the back of Twisted Pixel by offering them some of your fake Microsoft money.
    yarles

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By yarles

I recently finished 'Splosion Man which was released on XBLA  two weeks ago. I downloaded the trial version when the game landed on Xbox Live's virtual shelves and I wasn't convinced that it was worth buying at the time. I must say that I usually am very skeptical concerning these types of games (XBLA Games) and that the purchases I made in the past were a bit compulsory and not entirely satisfying. So after all the good reviews and the hints about the amazing ending, I finally bought the damn thing!  

PhD Grade Beef
    PhD Grade Beef

The overall quality of the presentation in this game is quite surprising. There's a great sense of scale in each level and it makes you wonder why those scientists built such an elaborate lab for you to 'splode in. The 'splosion man character is quite entertaining to watch and the "meat-filled" scientists running for their lives all deserved the cruel death I brought upon them. ^_^

The difficulty ramps up steadily as you get better at timing your 'splosions. I got quite frustrated on different portions of certain levels (cheap flying robots anyone?) and I started to get a bit twitchy after my 30th attempt on the same jump.

Overall I think that this game proves to be an excellent platformer, a genre that is not so popular nowadays. I think that the release of
    "What is a man?!"
    'Splosion Man also brings up the whole "old games were much harder" debate back in the picture. Speaking of older titles, I was honestly shocked when I got to play Castlevania: Symphony of the Night on XBLA. I was reminded of how unforgiving the game was and the whole "inverted castle" business blew my mind once again! All in all, the nostalgia attached to old platformers is positive in my opinion. I'm also happy that old titles aren't crushed under a stack of brand new FPS games year after year.

So if you feel the same way as I do towards old ass games like these, I think you should give a nice pat on the back of Twisted Pixel by offering them some of your fake Microsoft money.
    natetodamax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

User Lists: 5

#2  Edited By natetodamax

I am seriously considering getting Splosion Man. I need some convincing though.

CL60

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By CL60

Did you 'splode at all?

chaser324

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 15

#4  Edited By chaser324  Moderator
    @natetodamax: It's probably in my top 5 XBLA titles. Top notch presentation, and tough (but fair) platforming.
    yarles

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By yarles
    @CL60: More than I needed I think :\
    jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 9

#6  Edited By jakob187
    @natetodamax said:
    " I am seriously considering getting Splosion Man. I need some convincing though. "
    I love Red Faction Guerrilla.  You love Red Faction Guerrilla. 

I love 'Splosion Man.  ____________________ 

Fill in the blank.  Get it.
    natetodamax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

#7  Edited By natetodamax
    @jakob187 said:
    " @natetodamax said:
    " I am seriously considering getting Splosion Man. I need some convincing though. "
    I love Red Faction Guerrilla.  You love Red Faction Guerrilla.  I love 'Splosion Man.  ____________________  Fill in the blank.  Get it. "
    Alright. Next time I acquire some points I'll purchase it.

It better be worth it, or else.
    CL60

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By CL60
    @natetodamax said:
    " @jakob187 said:
    " @natetodamax said:
    I love Red Faction Guerrilla.  You love Red Faction Guerrilla.  I love 'Splosion Man.  ____________________  Fill in the blank.  Get it. "
    Alright. Next time I acquire some points I'll purchase it.  It better be worth it, or else. "
    Count how many times you 'splode through the entire game.
    snide

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 14

#9  Edited By snide

Really digging it as well. To me it's the natural evolution of a game like sonic the hedgehog.

CL60

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By CL60
    @snide said:
    " Really digging it as well. To me it's the natural evolution of a game like sonic the hedgehog. "
    Hey, you! While I know you're here. What's with Russian Giantbomb?!

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.