Spore's Galactic Adventures In Moving Pictures

Posted by Brad (2875 posts) -
Spore's first expansion pack, Galactic Adventures, looked pretty nifty when I got to check it out at a San Francisco art gallery last week. But there's a lot of heady concepts going on under the hood in that thing, so if the writeup came off as a little too abstract, there's hope for your comprehension. Maxis just put out a good video laying it all out there for ya.

Thoughts? Is this enough to pull you back into Spore? I'm excited to see what kind of adventures people come up with, but--much like LittleBigPlanet--I don't see myself putting in a lot of time to build cool stuff for myself.
Staff
#1 Posted by Brad (2875 posts) -
Spore's first expansion pack, Galactic Adventures, looked pretty nifty when I got to check it out at a San Francisco art gallery last week. But there's a lot of heady concepts going on under the hood in that thing, so if the writeup came off as a little too abstract, there's hope for your comprehension. Maxis just put out a good video laying it all out there for ya.

Thoughts? Is this enough to pull you back into Spore? I'm excited to see what kind of adventures people come up with, but--much like LittleBigPlanet--I don't see myself putting in a lot of time to build cool stuff for myself.
Staff
#2 Posted by TheMikelGuereca (102 posts) -

Ah finally, they are going to fix the issues that morassed the core game.

#3 Posted by ToxicFruit (1717 posts) -

hope that spore is not going to be like sims by that i meen get a MILLION expansion pack.

still im lookin forward to this one.

#4 Posted by RHCPfan24 (8609 posts) -

I thought that this was some Spore/Rush smash up. Oh well, my inner Neil Peart fan cannot supress itself. Still cool though.

#5 Posted by AndrewB (7490 posts) -

Let me just say again that I'm a person who never left Spore in the first place. I'm in the creature phase of perhaps my 4th full playthrough (from cell to space).

I would feel excitement for this expansion if I knew that any of the user-created missions were going to be anything but total garbage. The video made it seem easy enough to create stuff, but that doesn't mean it will be easy to create quality stuff. And if some of the more broken missions make their way into my game, the same way every other creation in the sporepedia will just happen to show up, then I hope there can at least be some sort of rating system put in place to allow the people to rate and filter content by quality.

#6 Posted by Claude (16254 posts) -

Back into Spore? I haven't even got it, maybe when I get it, it will be great. "The Gold Edition" or whatnot.

#7 Posted by Driadon (2995 posts) -

Awesome, I can finally make my military zealots truly like the Space Marines and execute Inquis exterminatus.

#8 Posted by SuicidalSnowman (396 posts) -

This looks like a great use of the existing Spore game. Creating creatures was fun and all, but all you did was either kill 10 other species, or befriend them, then it was on to the next phase. Hopefully this gives that piece of the game more depth.

#9 Posted by IncredibleBulk92 (936 posts) -

I think I'm going to skip Spore for the next few years.  Maybe sometime in 2010 I'll go back to it, get a pack that includes all of the expansions, subscribe to some good sporecasts and play Spore that way.  Maybe the problems I originally had with the game will have been fixed by all the expansion packs that release in that time.  This mission pack looks like it could reduce some of the monotiny but I'm wondering how they'll be integrated into the Space phase and if there'll be any incentive to actually finishing them

#10 Posted by jakob187 (21642 posts) -

MOVING PICTURES?!?!?!  OMG, this new technology is going to change the WORLD!!!  You wanna talk about evolution?  Spore's use of this new "moving pictures" thing is pretty much the biggest form of evolution ever.

In all seriousness, though, as long as it has the same DRM setup...Spore can suck it.  Sorry for being the Negative Nancy of the thread.
#11 Posted by DiGiTaL_SiN (1789 posts) -

I dunno if it's just me; but Spore really sucks! I think it's one of the most over rated games of our generation, or at least in the last few years.

#12 Posted by AspiringAndy (332 posts) -

This combines my two favourite parts of spore, creature and space, I think I will enjoy this.

@DiGiTaL_SiN
Spore didn't really get glowing reccomendations from every game website, like GTA IV did.

@ jakob187
Why the hell do people get all uptight about DRM.
How many fucking computers do you need to play a game.
5 is more than enough for me.

#13 Posted by Crono (2639 posts) -

Sounds awesome - key word?  Sounds.

Let's see how this really turns out.

#14 Posted by Monkeymantjg (35 posts) -

Im not sure did they fix the game in how you are constantly running back an forth micromanaging planets. plus the constant pirate raids that drive me crazy.  I have more then 30 stars and yet cant delegate simple tasks like defense. Or kill some animal that is infected. I am trying to expand the empire yet have to wash dishes and do the laundry while I buy weapons and to go to war ( Military  /  Ecenomic )

I would like to see some cooperation with allies helping out or delegating them for tasks. instead of buying out there planets and wiping them off the galactic map.

#15 Posted by JoelTGM (5596 posts) -

It looks interesting, but that game just doesn't sound like much fun to PLAY.  It was fun to create stuff, I got the creature creator, but it doesn't look like they put as much effort into the rest of the game.

#16 Posted by JoelTGM (5596 posts) -
AspiringAndy said:
Why the hell do people get all uptight about DRM.
How many fucking computers do you need to play a game.
5 is more than enough for me.
Since Spore came out, I've reformatted twice, and then my hard drive died so I got a new one, then my motherboard died so I got a new one and reformatted after installing that.  That's 4 out of 5 installations gone.  If I had bought Spore when it came out, I'd be saving up to buy it again once my 5th installing is used.  If you buy a game it should be yours to keep...
#17 Posted by JackSukeru (5903 posts) -

Lol @ the jigglypuff pokemon at 2:22

#18 Posted by bwooduhs (1616 posts) -

definitly a reason to get back into Spore.

#19 Posted by theuncannygiraffe (56 posts) -

Oooo.... shiny. :)

#20 Posted by delicious_lie (160 posts) -

i dunno, this really seems like a feature that should have been in the game the whole time
dunno if it's worth the money

#21 Posted by Sparky_Buzzsaw (6087 posts) -

I love Spore, especially for its creation tools, and any addition to the gameplay is welcome.  However, I do wish for some more additions to the early-to-middle gameplay as well.  But I'll take what I can get in this case.

#22 Posted by Aaron_G (1611 posts) -

Looks like they are fixing some major issues that occured in the first release of Spore. 

#23 Posted by TheMagicalLeprechaun (9 posts) -

12 expansion packs later, I'll still be playing this game.

#24 Posted by Media_Master (3283 posts) -

I don't spend time creating, I spend time playing games!

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.