Anyone NOT buying it because of DRM?

#1 Posted by Yit (761 posts) -

I don't wanna get burned paying for a game that I can't play 2 years from now, after I upgrade my PC a couple times. Bullshit I say.

#2 Posted by Jensonb (1689 posts) -

I was originally not going to buy it for that reason. Then I found out my Mac wasn't quite powerful enough anyway, so I have 2 reasons

Might get it for OS X touch (iPhone/iPod touch)

#3 Posted by Patchinko (841 posts) -

Yeah, the laziness that drives DRM like this is truly astounding.

I probably won't buy it unless they get rid of that crap.

#4 Posted by zitosilva (1838 posts) -

I haven't really decided yet. Since I wasn't planning on buying it 'till later this year I have time to think and see what other people say about it.

What's really ironic is that probably within a week (maybe less) after its release we'll see the game in hundreds of torrents around the net. I seriously doubt they can stop it from being freely shared.

#5 Posted by RobE (18 posts) -
I guess it's a good thing that Spore can be played by anyone. It's not some uber hardcore game where they need you to support them. What are you going to do, pirate the game in retaliation? That's exactly why DRM exist, so you are only supporting a method you hate.

I'm positive sales will still be good regardless. 

#6 Posted by WickedCobra03 (2102 posts) -

Probably not just because of that.  Why be so strict like that.  It really does nothing to prevent pirates so whats even the point?

#7 Posted by vinster345 (125 posts) -

Was tempted not to, but I remember this being the same case with the Bioshock PC version and its not been an issue yet  

#8 Posted by KindGalaxy (429 posts) -

I've pre-ordered it through the EA Store, even if I was buying it physically I wouldn't care.

#9 Posted by zeus_gb (595 posts) -

It's already been posted to me so I guess i'm getting it.  If it doesn't work after I upgrade my PC then i'll look into other ways to get it to work.

#10 Posted by MerlijnVH (108 posts) -

Its an interesting situation. Obviously, we care a lot about this. We're knowledge gamers for the most part and we don't want to get screwed over by DRM. On the other hand, there's a lot of people who've heard of Spore but don't really know anything about DRM and why they should care. These people will pick up the game regardless, which will probably be a majority that won't hurt the sales for Spore.

I really don't know what I'll do with Spore. In the end, even if you buy the game legally, you can still "patch" your game to remove any sort of DRM restrictions if it troubles you.
People who want to support the game and its DRM aproach can simply authorize their computer(s) and contact customer support if they want to authorize more installations in the future.

#11 Edited by HitNRun (344 posts) -
RobE said:
What are you going to do, pirate the game in retaliation? That's exactly why DRM exist, so you are only supporting a method you hate.
This is quite possibly the dumbest thing I have read today.

The 3-install DRM exists to stop people from pirating it...so if people CAN PIRATE IT ANYWAY, then...

No, I can't go on. I feel myself getting dumber.
#12 Posted by Demilich (2599 posts) -
HitNRun said:
"RobE said:
What are you going to do, pirate the game in retaliation? That's exactly why DRM exist, so you are only supporting a method you hate.

The 3-install DRM exists to stop people from pirating it...so if people CAN PIRATE IT ANYWAY....

No, I can't go on. I feel myself getting dumber."
So true.

If their sales go up, why would they stop using DRM.
#13 Edited by Jecrell (241 posts) -

To balance the yin and yang, it might be in the best interest of gamers to do both. If you buy the game, then after 3 hardware changes and reinstalls you can do what needs to be done to continue to play the game without buying another copy since you already have the physical files on disc anyway.

Demilich said:

"HitNRun said:
"RobE said:

The 3-install DRM exists to stop people from pirating it...so if people CAN PIRATE IT ANYWAY....

No, I can't go on. I feel myself getting dumber."
So true.

If their sales go up, why would they stop using DRM."
Then again... that's a good point.
#14 Posted by ProfessorEss (7253 posts) -

What really frustrates me is that these types of measures only ever serve to screw over the buyers.

It doesn't effect piracy and it doesn't effect the people using illegal copies.

#15 Posted by wefwefasdf (6729 posts) -

The idea of it bothers me but I don't really think I will have a problem anyhow. Looks really awesome so I probably will pick it up.

#16 Posted by Jecrell (241 posts) -
ProfessorEss said:
"What really frustrates me is that these types of measures only ever serve to screw over the buyers.

It doesn't effect piracy and it doesn't effect the people using illegal copies.
"
Video game sales 101:
Offer a better product than the pirates.
#17 Posted by Demilich (2599 posts) -
Jecrell said:
"To balance the yin and yang, it might be in the best interest of gamers to do both. If you buy the game, then after 3 hardware changes and reinstalls you can do what needs to be done to continue to play the game without buying another copy since you already have the physical files on disc anyway.

You know, that very reason is why Piracy isn't totally illegal. It would be ethical and legal on all grounds to 'pirate' a game you already own.
#18 Posted by VoidPresence (50 posts) -

your loss

#19 Posted by BiggerBomb (6944 posts) -

What's DRM protection?

#20 Posted by VoidPresence (50 posts) -

'Digital Rights Management' (depending on who you ask), an antipiracy scheme.  in this case its SecuROM and EA's set it so that you can only (re)-install Spore a max of 3 times (tho potentially if you need more, you can call them up and ask for a new unlock code or some such).

#21 Posted by BiggerBomb (6944 posts) -

Why would you even be playing a game over the course of three different computers?

#22 Posted by Demyx (3237 posts) -
BiggerBomb said:
"Why would you even be playing a game over the course of three different computers?"
If you ever have to get a new computer, and sometimes when upgrading different parts of it.
i think, im not so computer savvy.

I don't have a PC that'll play this game, so w/e.
#23 Posted by Mago (129 posts) -

Wow, I totally didn't know about this stuff, but really my main reason for not buying this game is lack of money and I need to upgrade my computer (this might just be a want, but still...).  They could spent some time and think of a better way to protect their games...  What they could do is make the game come with an activation code that'll link to your EA account and every time you'd want to play you just have to sign into your EA account via a pop-up or something to that effect.  Kind of like logging into an MMO, but not....  I don't think that'd be too intrusive, would it?

#24 Posted by Relys (984 posts) -

*Raises hand*

#25 Edited by breton (1437 posts) -
Brym said:
Buy the game.  If the DRM bothers you, crack it.  But don't steal.
Yeah, 'cause that won't result in an inability to access online content.
#26 Posted by coolof (80 posts) -

I don't really get the point of the three installs only. Is it really that common that people pirate a game by letting their friends use their disc? Is that a big problem compared to bit torrents etc.? How do EA control this when you download the game from their site? Are you only allowed to download it ones and then install that copy three times? What if the download stops?

And what if your computer crashes, why punish legit buyers that way?
Sorry, kinda obvious questions without answers here but I just don't get it, why not only force people to create an account and then lock the cd-key to that account. If you don't log in you can't take the advantage of downloadable content, one of the unique things about Spore. That sounds like a better solution in my eyes. Give people with legit copies advantages instead of punish them.

#27 Posted by Gamer_152 (14049 posts) -

Hmm, well I'm getting a laptop this week and I plan to just be playing it on that for as long as possible. I suppose there may be problems later on but the DRM stuff doesn't worry me too much and it's definately not gonna stop me from picking this up.

#28 Posted by calf_exercises (858 posts) -

ehh, I wil buy this game no matter what, it just looks so god damn interesting

#29 Edited by MB (11877 posts) -

EA has already made official statements in the past about the DRM on Mass Effect PC, which uses the same DRM system as Spore.  Also, the 10-day periodic mandatory reautthentication of both titles has been dropped.  The game will authenticate itself when you use it's online features to make sure the key associated with it hasn't been made public and used for piracy.  The game can be played on up to three separate machines with no disc in the drive after only being initially activated online.

"This solution allows gamers to authenticate their game on three different computers with the purchase of one disc. EA Customer Service is on hand to supply any additional authorizations that are warranted. This will be done on a case-by-case basis by contacting customer support."

I know it's the cool thing right now to hate EA and all that they stand for, and typically I agree that EA sucks, but the hate is somewhat unwarranted in this case.  If you guys think this is bad, wait till you see the DRM scheme that Blizzard is working on for Diablo 3 and Starcraft 2.  It'll blow your mind - just you watch.

All posts suggesting piracy in this thread were removed. 

#30 Posted by Kohe321 (3522 posts) -

Yeah that securom thing is BS. I think I'll buy it, though, been looking forward to it for a long time.

#31 Posted by Zaerus (154 posts) -

I love spore but seriously... EA's pulling it far over the line with their DRM bullshit that does exactly SQUAT vs pirating. I'm not for renting software and am for upgrading and owning my pc. So unless Securom gets yanked out the legit disc (that i did order out of sheer madness), isn't touching my pc. Or not without tinkering anyway.

And pirates? in this case i'm more inclined to call them rebels against EA's instanity and greed. The only one who deserves to be put in a bad spotlight is EA.

#32 Posted by MB (11877 posts) -

Did you guys not read my post?

#33 Posted by Mourne (789 posts) -
MB said:
"Did you guys not read my post?"
If I had to guess, I would say it's that people really don't mind change in gaming--they just don't like change that limits them. DRM for gaming is, even in theory, not that great of an idea, and it really isn't worth the troubles it's bringing to the table. As I said in the other topic (last post, prior to the closure): I think that there are ways to limit piracy that are far more effective than this, but I, personally, can't make that decision. I think that's how most people feel, in that they know they can't change it all on their own, but if they're loud enough about it--something will give (just like what happened with Mass Effect).

Piracy is obviously sky high right now, and while I don't know what to do myself... I don't believe that jumping at the first possible solution (DRM) is the way to go about it. It kind of feels like their way of experimenting is by unleashing it on the masses first hand, and that's probably what has so many people up in arms.

As you said, MB, it isn't the worst thing in the world and it will get worse with other, even more popular games (StarCraft II and Diablo III), and that's exactly what we're all afraid of. The three PC install just does not seem like a longterm solution, and that's my beef with it. That said, I wouldn't let it stop me from purchasing the game if I wanted it enough (and I really don't anyway).
#34 Posted by Otacon (2208 posts) -

Well if it's anything like other DRM stuff, a quick call before you upgrade should solve the issue.

#35 Posted by MB (11877 posts) -
Mourne said:

The three PC install just does not seem like a longterm solution, and that's my beef with it. That said, I wouldn't let it stop me from purchasing the game if I wanted it enough (and I really don't anyway)
That was part of my point...if you wanted to install it a fourth time on a new machine or some other legitimate reason, you would simply need to call EA Customer Service and they'll reset your license count.  The vast majority of users are never even going to notice the DRM on Spore.  It doesn't bother me one bit.
#36 Posted by TheAdmin (710 posts) -

for some reason, my post was deleted by the mods... I'd like to know why.

to repeat myself:
I said yes, I wouldn't be purchasing the game because of DRM. I think it's ridiculous to say I can only install a game that requires installation 3 times. Forget it. I would love to see EA adopt the mentality that DRM only bothers consumers not the pirates.

#37 Posted by solidphoenix (286 posts) -

I guess I'm gonna have to buy it to experience Spore, regardless of DRM...

#38 Posted by ouvintes (58 posts) -

yeah, I worry about this. I have a P4 machine that might be getting a substitute in a few months...I would have to reinstall. So I'd lose one reinstall right there.
Since I've already bought the game, I'll contact EA about it and just see how it goes, see what kind of answer I get.
I mean, just look at Steam. I have about 20 games on my account there and they even let me play them on a friend's machine if I login there and download it. One could argue that Steam games get pirated a lot, but so do all these poorly protected games, too. Digital stuff get's pirated, no matter how much DRM you put on it.
But since Steam offers a good service for a fair price, I'm happy to buy there. The difference is, they don't treat you as a potential criminal, they associate your purchases to your account and let you feel free to play your games on as many machines as you like. That's a good model. EA's is not.

#39 Posted by Vaxadrin (2297 posts) -

Is this game going to be sold in a digital distribution service at all?  I would just get it there.

#40 Posted by Vlademir (1029 posts) -

I guarantee they will get rid of it (may take a few months to a year), like they did with Bioshock.

#41 Posted by NeoTheta (222 posts) -

No amount of CD protection is going to keep me from buying a great game. I'm willing to go through the authentication and all that other stuff because Spore is a game I've been looking at for a while, and I want to experience it. They'll remove it after time, like Vlademir said, so I'm not worried.

#42 Posted by bizsumpark182 (361 posts) -

I'm not buying it right now because I don't have a computer to run it. To be honest the DRM thing wouldn't bother me. And anyways, there will be a workaround for it or they will give up on it. So, it really doesn't matter.

#43 Posted by AngeTheDude (638 posts) -

This is a serious problem because the DRM in this game has been bricking people's disk drives and causing a lot of other problems. I literally had the game sitting in the disc tray ready to go when I heard about all this crap. I'm waiting until something is done about this before I even touch it.

#44 Posted by TheAdmin (710 posts) -
MB said:
wait till you see the DRM scheme that Blizzard is working on for Diablo 3 and Starcraft 2.  It'll blow your mind - just you watch.
Could you link to an article or give us some more information please?
#45 Posted by Zor (653 posts) -

As of right now, i have no plans on 'buying' Spore, but if they change their DRM then i would.  And no, i won't buy it, and then crack it, since that would result in my inability to use the online features.

#46 Posted by jlaudio7 (326 posts) -

I bought the GE, but didn't open it. I decided to look around to see what people were saying about the game. The minute I heard that DRM/SecuRom was in it, heeeeeeell no. I am returning this game tomorrow.

#47 Edited by Vigorousjammer (2472 posts) -

Ok, I have a MUCH BETTER DRM solution...

Everybody is saying Logging in would be the best solution, but people were complaining that they wouldn't be able to play offline, and this is the same situation...

"3 computers and that's it" also doesn't work, cause like everybody said, what if in the future you have to upgrade your PC...

Best solution: Let users install the game on ONE, count-em, ONE computer... then, if they try to install it on another computer, it disables the first computer's copy of the program with a message saying something like "Your Spore DRM has been transferred to another computer, please re-install Spore to run this program."

This would not only prevent piracy, because activation codes wouldn't be able to be spread around... but it would also keep customers happy, cause they could install it as many times as they want, on any single machine...

also, they could possibly allow you to install on up to 3 computers, and then when you install it on a 4th computer, the first computer's copy gets disabled, and so on... just so people can have a copy of Spore simultainiously running on thier desktop, thier Laptop, and maybe thier Mac too, lol :P
#48 Posted by Meowayne (6084 posts) -
And anyways, there will be a workaround for it or they will give up on it.

There already is. The working, cracked copy is being shared since September 3rd. Even before the official release date. It cannot use the online features, but if you want to try the game without supporting the DRM crap.. well, you know where to find it.

#49 Posted by KindGalaxy (429 posts) -
Meowayne said:
"
And anyways, there will be a workaround for it or they will give up on it.

There already is. The working, cracked copy is being shared since September 3rd. Even before the official release date. It cannot use the online features, but if you want to try the game without supporting the DRM crap.. well, you know where to find it.

"
Personally, it is those online features that make the game, I just got some creatures from Jeff Green, some SarcasticGamer editors, GameSpot editors, IGN Freelancers, random friends I know personally and it felt so satisfying destroying, allying with some of their creations, seeing their structures in tribal stage creatures, felt awesome; the social engineering in this game is awesome.
#50 Posted by StaticFalconar (4849 posts) -

I'll get it for the consols if it means that there won't be DRM BS to deal with.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.