Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Spore

Game » consists of 9 releases. Released Sep 07, 2008

Simulate the development and progression of an alien species as it evolves from a single-celled organism to a sapient level, rises up through various stages of civilization, and eventually becomes a space-faring species.

EA sued over Spore DRM

whackmypinata

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By whackmypinata
    DualReaver

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

#2  Edited By DualReaver

I am honestly surprised that it took this long for someone to sue them over DRM.

brukaoru

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3  Edited By brukaoru

I'm curious to know if other companies will be targeted in this lawsuit as well. EA is obviously the big one, but many other PC games use SecuROM as well.

If this can help stop DRM from being used anymore, I'm all for it. DRM is just driving away customers and not stopping pirates, in other words, DRM is pointless.

BiggerBomb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#4  Edited By BiggerBomb

DRM is a choice of the publisher and no one is forced to buy the game. There are no grounds for a lawsuit here.

whackmypinata

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By whackmypinata
    BiggerBomb said:
    "

DRM is a choice of the publisher and no one is forced to buy the game. There are no grounds for a lawsuit here.

"
    SecuROM is unable to be removed from the computer, even if you uninstall the product. That's past only using the product, it's forcing you to keep it on your computer.
    BiggerBomb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By BiggerBomb
    whackmypinata said:
    "BiggerBomb said:
    "

"
    SecuROM is unable to be removed from the computer, even if you uninstall the product. That's past only using the product, it's forcing you to keep it on your computer."

Ah, I wasn't aware that this was the case. If SecuROM is locked to your computer with no way for deletion, then EA will have to release a fix or be faced with a lawsuit.

My dad's a lawyer, the apple doesn't fall far. >.<
    brukaoru

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By brukaoru
    BiggerBomb said:
    "DRM is a choice of the publisher and no one is forced to buy the game. There are no grounds for a lawsuit here."
    If SecuROM being installed on the person's computer was not disclosed in the terms of service agreement, then that is grounds for a lawsuit.
    BiggerBomb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By BiggerBomb
    brukaoru said:
    "BiggerBomb said:
    "DRM is a choice of the publisher and no one is forced to buy the game. There are no grounds for a lawsuit here."
    If SecuROM being installed on the person's computer was not disclosed in the terms of service agreement, then that is grounds for a lawsuit."

See meh other post, Mr. Brukaoru!
    Demyx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Demyx

I don't have much of a problem with DRM since I wouldn't have use for multiple installs. But its ridiculous that they wouldn't be upfront about the SecuROM.

brukaoru

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By brukaoru
    BiggerBomb said:
    "See meh other post, Mr. Brukaoru!"
    That would be Ms... And I posted it at the same time so I didn't see it, sorry.
    whackmypinata

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By whackmypinata
    Levio91 said:
    "yay this is funny hopefully EA's downfall will help out indy devs"
    Wishful thinking. I doubt EA is going to be crushed if this lawsuit is even successful. They have so much money..
    BiggerBomb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By BiggerBomb
    brukaoru said:
    "BiggerBomb said:
    "See meh other post, Mr. Brukaoru!"
    That would be Ms... And I posted it at the same time so I didn't see it, sorry."

Huh, my bad. nd dunt wury abowt it
    brukaoru

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By brukaoru
    BiggerBomb said:
    "Huh, my bad. nd dunt wury abowt it"
    No worries. :)

whackmypinata said:
    "Levio91 said:
    Wishful thinking. I doubt EA is going to be crushed if this lawsuit is even successful. They have so much money.."
    Too true. I just hope it makes them rethink about using DRM in the future, same with other companies.
    BiggerBomb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By BiggerBomb
    brukaoru said:
    "BiggerBomb said:
    "Huh, my bad. nd dunt wury abowt it"
    No worries. :)

whackmypinata said:
    "Levio91 said:
    Wishful thinking. I doubt EA is going to be crushed if this lawsuit is even successful. They have so much money.."
    Too true. I just hope it makes them rethink about using DRM in the future, same with other companies.
    "

The lead prosecutor is going to be found dead tomorrow in his appartment. He will have commited suicide with his recently applied for pistol (despite the fact that he is a supporter of anti-firearms registration) and the weapon will be found in his right hand. But here's the kicker, folks.....

He's a lefty!!!!!!!! Moral of the story, EA sucks. Corrupt bastards.
    E_rock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By E_rock

Whether it's successful or not, this brings a smile to my face.  When will publishers learn DRM does not stop piracy?   For every one user who buys the game and can't burn/distribute due to DRM, I'm willing to bet there are 2 users who would of bought the game but instead downloaded it solely to avoid the DRM altogether.   

Moral of the story: DRM only punishes the legit consumer, and turns would-be legit consumers into pirates.  Please learn this.

whackmypinata

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By whackmypinata
    E_rock said:
    "Whether it's successful or not, this brings a smile to my face.  When will publishers learn DRM does not stop piracy?   For every one user who buys the game and can't burn/distribute due to DRM, I'm willing to bet there are 2 users who would of bought the game but instead downloaded it solely to avoid the DRM altogether.   

Moral of the story: DRM only punishes the legit consumer, and turns would-be legit consumers into pirates.  Please learn this."
    Exactly the way I've thought about it. I've always been a legit customer, and I have started the torrent download of Spore. However, my guilt kicked in, so I didn't complete the download and just turned away from the game completely.
    darkpikachu02

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#18  Edited By darkpikachu02

Didn't these idiots learn their lesson after the Sony rootkit music CD copy protection scandal (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2005_Sony_BMG_CD_copy_protection_scandal)? I was reading an article that said that Sony was the ones that developed the SecuROM protection technology. I was going to buy this game over the weekend, but now I am not.
    Ben

Jayge_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#19  Edited By Jayge_
    darkpikachu02 said:
    "Didn't these idiots learn after the Sony rootkit music CD copy protection scandal (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2005_Sony_BMG_CD_copy_protection_scandal)? I was reading an article that said that Sony was the ones that developed the SecuROM protection technology. I was going to buy this game over the weekend, but now I am not.
    Ben"
    I loved that scandal.

Also, you have the same name as me. You're officially cool now.
    jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 9

#20  Edited By jakob187

All EA needs to do is use the SecuROM version being included on Sacred 2, as that actually doesn't suck.  I'm all for anti-piracy measures, as I'm not a supporter of pirating games at all...even movies for that matter.  Music...well...let's just say I've got the new Gojira CD.  =  /  I'm still buying it, though.  They deserve my money.

I will say that the PERMANENT addition of SecuROM to your computer is a load of bullshit, but it's not like EA is the ONLY ones doing this.  Bioshock used SecuROM as well, and I remember when they got slammed with backlash due to potential rootkits being included with that.  EA is just trying to find a way to fight piracy the best they can, and like I said, I'm all for it.  I just hate that it is at the customers' expense.

I'll see if I can find the ToA for Spore and post up a link.

As far as I can tell, it does not specifically say anything about SecuROM being installed on the computer.  It does say copy protection software is USED...and that it can only be installed a SET number of times, but it says nothing about copy protection software not being uninstallable.

What I think is more interesting is this:

You may use only the assets supplied with the Software and the Spore Creature Creator to create Spore creatures and related assets.  You may not further modify Spore creatures with any other materials, tools, or software programs.

Now, I personally know that means that I can't use something outside of the game itself to create a creature for in-game play...but "related assets".  So, like, I can't Photoshop a fucking picture?!
    jangofett88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By jangofett88
    E_rock said:
    "Whether it's successful or not, this brings a smile to my face.  When will publishers learn DRM does not stop piracy?   For every one user who buys the game and can't burn/distribute due to DRM, I'm willing to bet there are 2 users who would of bought the game but instead downloaded it solely to avoid the DRM altogether.   

Moral of the story: DRM only punishes the legit consumer, and turns would-be legit consumers into pirates.  Please learn this."

Agreed. As Benjamin Franklin said, "He who sacrifices freedom for more security will get neither."

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.