Is this worth playing without internet access?

#1 Posted by Foil_Charizard (345 posts) -

A big part of this game seems like it would be the ability to have your universe constantly updated and repopulated via the internet. I want to buy this game but the PC i would install it on has no internet connection. Is it still worth playing without the bonus having thousands of other people's creations flooding into my own spore universe?
Thanks in advance guys.

#2 Posted by DazbotAthertron (875 posts) -

Don't you need to internet to like "validate" your copy anyway?

#3 Edited by Foil_Charizard (345 posts) -

I don't know, can anyone say for sure?

#4 Edited by Vigorousjammer (2472 posts) -
DazbotAthertron said:
"Don't you need the internet to like "validate" your copy anyway?"
no, you don't... they changed SecuROM to be 3 user installs, and if you uninstall one of them, then you get one install back...
not the best system, cause if your computer crashes and you have to re-format then you'd have lost that install forever... but it's still better than internet activation...

as for the OP question... I still think the game would be worth playing... it's got a lot of little things to do in it...
#5 Edited by Fade2Gray (168 posts) -
Vigorousjammer said:
"DazbotAthertron said:
"Don't you need the internet to like "validate" your copy anyway?"
no, you don't... they changed SecuROM to be 3 user installs, and if you uninstall one of them, then you get one install back...
not the best system, cause if your computer crashes and you have to re-format then you'd have lost that install forever... but it's still better than internet activation...

Actually, the games says right on the box, which I have in my hand as I write this, 'Internet Connection Required for Product Activation.'
#6 Posted by Dalai (6978 posts) -

I would think it would be a different experience... I'd certainly connect Spore to the interwebs.

#7 Posted by SSbabel (1141 posts) -

Dude, your gonna need the net to actually start the game.

#8 Posted by VoidPresence (50 posts) -

as above, you NEED net connection for activating/validating the game, beyond that thou:

1/2 the point of this game (for me anyway) is filling the world(s) out with other people's creations, which you would miss out on without the net, it just adds alot of replay value to it when the content is constantly changing (granted, Maxis provides quite a bit of stuff on the disc).

again tho, net is REQUIRED to activate the game.

#9 Posted by Computer_Teen92 (4 posts) -
#10 Posted by Discorsi (1390 posts) -

You can manuallly download creatures from the spore site (the sporepedia part)

You can also torrent creature packs  which are collections of random creatures.

No problem then.

#11 Posted by Milkman (16481 posts) -

No, the only online interaction with Spore is that it randomly puts user-created creatures into your game but there are plenty of Maxis created creatures to use. You also won't be able to upload your creatures to Sporepedia.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.