Spore - 8.0 review from GameSpot

• 54 results
#1 Edited by L (1681 posts) -
#2 Posted by Demilich (2598 posts) -

It's a review. They gave it what they thought it deserved. Don't overthink it.

#3 Posted by TheBeast (1931 posts) -

I thought it was a pretty fair review - I generally trust Kevin VanOrd's opinion, his reviews are admirably frank in places, but that's what your looking for really, I don't want to see something saying "This game has SPACE! I give it 10!" or whatever, in fact, I don't think he elaborates enough on some of the bad points.

#4 Posted by DualReaver (3882 posts) -

Wow.
Didn't see that coming.

#5 Posted by Rowr (5826 posts) -

hmm, ill wait for second opinions.

Kevin van ords views generally dont fall into line with my own.

though an 8 is pretty solid?

What the hell does this game need to get to not be underperforming?

stupid 10 point review scales.

#6 Posted by Soap (3609 posts) -

I think 8.0 is a far score, people forget this game has been over hyped to death, seriously, no matter how good this game actually is... is it ever going to live up to your expectations?

#7 Posted by Gamer_152 (14091 posts) -

To be honest I was expecting a 9.0 or higher and I did see this review. But altogether I say there's nothing wrong with the review as the reviewers opinion is backed up by two solid pages of text. However as far as mainstream opinion goes there seem to be a lot of people who would rate Spore much higher than an 8.0, I don't know how much of that is fact and how much of it is fanboyism and I'm still gonna buy the game, but I'd like to see the thoughts of other publications, particularly Giant Bomb.

#8 Posted by MB (12718 posts) -

Posts like this are precisely the reason why Giant  Bomb uses a five star scale.

#9 Posted by calf_exercises (858 posts) -

my response:
meh, I will probly buy this game no matter what just so I can get a unique couple of hours. I really enjoy truely original games

#10 Posted by Dalai (7040 posts) -

I'll refrain from any Spore review talk due to my Will Wright fanboyism, but I will say the reviews have been pretty positive so far.

#11 Posted by Otacon (2209 posts) -

It's just a review. Reviews are a little harsher nowadays on score sites such as IGN and Gamespot. 

Dalai said:
"I'll refrain from any Spore review talk due to my Will Wright fanboyism, but I will say the reviews have been pretty positive so far."
Exactly and are a couple of eight's going to make Will Wright fan boys not enjoy this game for countless hours?
#12 Posted by elektrixx (310 posts) -

I wish this thing was on a console.

#13 Posted by Meowayne (6084 posts) -
MB said:
"Posts like this are precisely the reason why Giant  Bomb uses a five star scale."
What's the difference? If anything, posts like this show that reviews shouldn't have a X out of X at the end of 'em at all, because that's the only thing people will care about. A "X out of X" always depends heavily on the person playing the game - for me, MGS3 is a "6 out of 10" and "Duke Nukem: Time to Kill" is a "8 out of 10", but It wouldn't be for many other people - whereas reading a review in full gives individuals a much better sense of whether they might enjoy the game or not. I would write what I like and what I dislike about MGS3, and people could estimate pretty good if it's a game for them to play or not.

I write the occasional movie review. I gave up on scores a long time ago. People startet actually reading what I wrote. That was great.
#14 Posted by demonbear (1860 posts) -

I thought spore would be either a 10 or a 4, Seems its just a very good game. And you know what? That's okay. I'll certainly get it somewhere down the road.

#15 Posted by solidphoenix (286 posts) -

Reviews are subjective opinions, so yeah.
8.0 is a really good score, it's just not what most people are or have expected it would achieve considering it's development time and the hype.
Still, hardcore gamers will play it regardless of what it gets.
And Kevin's reviews are trustable and professionally written.

#16 Edited by Karmum (11519 posts) -

I'm kind of surprised it got the score it received, but its their opinion, so whatever. I know I'm loving the game, and they seemed to enjoy it, but did not like certain aspects that I'm liking right now. Even though the first stages are simple, it goes from simple to quite simplistic very quickly.

#17 Posted by Ma7moud (805 posts) -

Didn't see that coming.But The game was over hyped anyway.

#18 Posted by duxup (354 posts) -

I trust KvO to tell it like it is.

Really aside from a collection of cool ideas I never quite understood what spore was selling, the result isn't surprising to me.

#19 Posted by pause422 (6201 posts) -

More like, don't even judge this game on a review until somewhere other than Gamespot has reviewed it,honestly.

#20 Posted by Lind_L_Taylor (3966 posts) -

Does anyone else review besides vanOrd?  I'm tired of hearing his reviews...they're always off kilter of everyone else's opinion of the game...he's like a reverse indicator of how good a game is. If he says it sucks, then it probably doesn't..and vice versa.

#21 Posted by wefwefasdf (6729 posts) -

I wish I could see some more gameplay of Spore. Will GiantBomb be reviewing it?

#22 Posted by Razor (108 posts) -

Dude if it was a GIANTBOMB score it would be 4/5 stars.  I have this game and I totally agree 100% with Kevin VanOrd.  The game is EXTREMELY repetitive but at the same time, it is EXTREMELY CUTE.  8.0 or 4/5 stars is what I would rate this game.

#23 Posted by Gunslinger (150 posts) -

Wow, I love this. People are over-hyping games like Spore now. Not that I have anything against it, but people were hyping it to an extent that FPS players thought it was going to be their saviour...

I mean, come on guys, you've just got to look at games from an objective standpoint, like VanOrd did.

It looks like fun, but that's all really. 8's a good score. In this world, where 7s are the new 5, then 8 is above okay. So clearly, he thought it was good, just not phenominal.

#24 Posted by BoG (5191 posts) -

The review was well written, and valid points were made. Of course, I don't see how an 8.0 is underperforming.

#25 Posted by SpaceInsomniac (3818 posts) -
MB said:
"Posts like this are precisely the reason why Giant  Bomb uses a five star scale."
Do you really think if Giant Bomb gave Spore three stars you wouldn't be seeing the EXACT same type of post on another forum?
#26 Posted by TheGamerGeek (2499 posts) -
Rowr said:
"hmm, ill wait for second opinions.

Kevin van ords views generally dont fall into line with my own.

though an 8 is pretty solid?

What the hell does this game need to get to not be underperforming?

stupid 10 point review scales."
Same here, I love the guy and I respect his decisions, but most of his thoughts just aren't mine.
#27 Posted by samcotts (2258 posts) -
SuperMooseman said:
"Why is that bad?
8/10
80%
4/5
B+

They're all practically the same. What's the problem? It's a review."
Exactly. I don't really understand the people in this thread saying how it was overhyped, and taking 8/10 as a bad score, and almost acting disappointed. I don't know if you guys have noticed, but underneath the 8.0, it has 'Great' written. That speaks for itself really. 8/10 is a great score. It seems that a lot of people think any game scoring under 9, isn't worth it.
#28 Posted by duxup (354 posts) -
SpikeSpiegel said:
"I wish I could see some more gameplay of Spore. Will GiantBomb be reviewing it?"
The GB folks have talked about spore a fair amount, it is pretty high profile, and it's not a game you need much of a background to review so I'm sure they will.
#29 Posted by duxup (354 posts) -
SpaceInsomniac said:
"MB said:
Do you really think if Giant Bomb gave Spore three stars you wouldn't be seeing the EXACT same type of post on another forum?"
I think there would.   Maybe not on THIS site as it is mostly a GB love fest, but the five star scale won't do anything to fend off these things.

There is no points or scale system that can fend off folks who are disappointed with a review just because it says something they don't want to hear or don't agree with.
#30 Posted by tekmojo (2302 posts) -

it was a letdown as I had figured, still will down...oad it though

#31 Posted by Lookin2GetSmoked (19 posts) -

AM FLOP!

#32 Posted by samcotts (2258 posts) -
Every other Spore review so far:

IGN - 8.8/10
Gamespy - 4.5/5
Eurogamer - 9/10
PC Gamer UK - 91/10

Complete letdown, right?
#33 Posted by Hamz (6846 posts) -

Kevin Van Ord aka KvO is becoming one of my favourite reviewers on Gamespot. He has some great writing techniques and definately can be rather frank about various issues with games and i find it admirable. A very well written review and definately one worth reading all the way through. As for the score of 8/10 i'd say thats a great score for a game. It shows me that the game is worth purchasing, worth taking time to go out and buy and enjoy it.

#34 Posted by ZeroCast (1869 posts) -

After everything i read,saw and heard the game gets an 8 ? I dont think this has anything to do with the 10's they gave away, it's solely what Kevin thinks about the game, IGN gave it an 8.8 but does that make its a great game ? I'll wait for the users reviews on this one.

#35 Posted by wefwefasdf (6729 posts) -

I'm really confused about how good it is. I wish there was something you could compare it to but because it is basically like a combination of genres you can't...

#36 Posted by wefwefasdf (6729 posts) -
tekmojo said:
"it was a letdown as I had figured, still will down...oad it though"
... you dissapoint me.
#37 Posted by VoidPresence (53 posts) -

i have little or no respect for the (new) gamespot as an unbiased review site, so their rating has VERY little (if any) impact on my view.  

I did read one of the user reviews (that gave a lower score) and noticed a few points (that I disagree with), namely that the reviewer didn't think much of the RTS part of the game and such--which I found as ridiculous as Spore was never marketed as such (I would have commented on it but I have long forgotten my login info for that site and didn't care THAT much to respond).  I also noted a few opinions that the game is generally 'short'...that is it could be 'beaten' in several hours... again, this isn't the focus of the game as I understand it.  The point is to have fun developing your own species and just see how they perform in a completely custom environment and so on and so on...

The way I'll approach it when I get it will be a nice and casual fun game to pass several hours by at a time, much like how I play Civ IV (note: i'm NOT comparing Spore to Civ IV, other than to pass the time by  :)  )

Personally I'm looking very forward to the spaceship builder and such...

~3-4 days to go till my Galactic Edition...argh
#38 Posted by TheGreatGuero (9130 posts) -

I'm kind of surprised by the review. I guess the game has just been overly simplified, which seems kind of strange for a game that has such a broad scope. I suppose they wanted to make it a game that anyone can play.

#39 Posted by L (1681 posts) -
MB said:
Exactly, why I am in full support of stars!
#40 Posted by JohnDudebro (924 posts) -

I think I see where he's coming from. But I feel like a lot of those complaints can be directed at The Sims, and since I totally love The Sims, I can probably overlook them. I'm sure I'll love Spore.

#41 Posted by keyhunter (3207 posts) -

Spore is probably worthy of an 8.0. It doesn't look that great to me.

#42 Edited by yami4ct (156 posts) -

It's not perfect, so what. The coolest part of the game is going to be creating, sharing and playing around with other peoples creatures. That alone is worth $50. After reading the review, it's still sounds like a great game. It's not perfect, but what is? I also read something on another forum that I really agreed with, it's an EA game, it will have expansions. That'll help fix the it's so limited complaint. What sims game has come out and been perfect? They all needed expansions to become what they are, I'm sure spore's the same way. I'll still be buying the game this weekend and this review hasn't done anything to increase or decrease my excitement for it. Also, since when has 8 not been a great score? We really need to drop the "if it's lower than a 9, it's terrible" mentality.

#43 Posted by Emilio (3380 posts) -

Kevin VanOrd and I rarely agree, but I have yet to play the game.

#44 Posted by m1k3 (1332 posts) -

Its a review, just an opinion. try it and form your own opinion

#45 Edited by Weltal (2274 posts) -

Pretty much dead on. It's an 8.0 game all the way. I don't know why this offends people because it's a damn fun game, it just has it's issues.

#46 Posted by VoidPresence (53 posts) -

i think the fault of many 'nay-sayers' here is that they're expecting too much AND that they're looking too specifically into one aspect of the game.  What one really needs to do is keep in mind the overall play of the game, as intended by Maxis, is more of an open-ended sandbox game for creating and exploring your own species and their culture.

The biggest mistake i've seen is the one of those reviewers who knock the 'RTS' aspect; it's NOT a RTS game (of course it has elements of it in certain stages) it is by no means the genre of this game and never was meant to, STAY (un)FOCUS, go back and reVIEW all those vids of Will Wright discussing the game.

That being said, I find it (somewhat) interesting that people are nit-picking out the destrcutive aspect of the game when it's really about constructing.  :)

#47 Posted by Vlademir (1029 posts) -

Supposedly Spore is really lacking in a lot of gameplay elements. I'm actually a little letdown from what I've read, not sure if i'll buy it now.

#48 Posted by Emilio (3380 posts) -

Well, I clocked in a good amount of hours last night. Probably from 9pm-6am, no breaks.

It got me hooked, but as you progress the game really starts to slow down. The RTS aspect of the Tribal era is great, but then in Civilization you are so limited to what you can do. Its no longer about resources or commanding unique units but buying, attacking, or converting cities... and then the Space era... I only put a couple minutes into it before I quit.

I would LOVE to see a full RTS with the Spore engine. Make your own creatures, have them evolve, raise armies, build and place unique buildings where ever you own territory...

Creating is fun, but game play really slows down later.

#49 Posted by StaticFalconar (4849 posts) -

there is a reason why metacritic was made.

#50 Posted by pause422 (6201 posts) -

metacritic is garbage, those sites such as GB or 1up that don't review on a 10 point scale just get averaged out and they translate it into the wrong numbers anyway, yet everyone will continue always bringing metacritic scores into the mix. Also like some people said..stop mentioning the 8.0 gamespot review, others have reviewed it as well, getting between 8.8-9.0 and such...its clear its a very good game, just nothing mind blowingly amazing. If you were interested in it before, you definitely still should be.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.