Spore most pirated game of 2008?

#1 Posted by IncredibleBulk92 (936 posts) -

I just picked up this post of Joystiq but I thought it would amuse you guys.  According to TorrentFreak Spore has earnt itself the title of being the most pirated game of 2008.  Despite the insane DRM regulations on the game it's had over 1,700,000 downloads in the last 3 months with over 500,000 of those being in the first 10 days of release.  Spore was also available on torrent sites before it was made available at retail.

Ironic hu?
#2 Posted by MattyFTM (14432 posts) -

Didn't somewhere say it was the most pirated game of all time?

Moderator
#3 Posted by bekern (563 posts) -

I guess nobody really cared that they couldn't go online if they pirated.

#4 Posted by addictedtopinescent (3645 posts) -

How much PC gamers actually buy their games in stores ? I don't, nobody I know does.

#5 Posted by ColumnBreaker (1164 posts) -

Shocker, people react negatively to incredibly retarded DRM schemes. I hope the industry learned a lesson.

#6 Posted by IncredibleBulk92 (936 posts) -

Yea I'm not exactly suprised either.  It just amazes me that they actually thought that this would make a dent on the number of people who pirate the game.  It seems like trying to stop this stuff is completely pointless.  Spore was no harder to play pirated than any other game.  You only missed the online features.  Meanwhile you have the odd paying customer left wondering why they can't install Spore on their new machine.

#7 Posted by Coltonio7 (3156 posts) -

Most pirated!?

We won.

#8 Posted by pause422 (6240 posts) -

Maybe in terms of games pirates in total, but in a percentage, I'd say World of Goo takes the cake. Like 90%+ out of 100% of them were pirated.

#9 Posted by dsplayer1010 (2227 posts) -

The very definition of ironic.

#10 Posted by Dalai (7069 posts) -

It had everything going against it, popularity and that pesky DRM... and the fact it was on the PC.  Of course it was #1.

#11 Posted by shadows_kill (3165 posts) -
addictedtopinescent said:
"How much PC gamers actually buy their games in stores ? I don't, nobody I know does."
my friend buys his.
#12 Posted by Balls (525 posts) -
dsplayer1010 said:
"The very definition of ironic."
Is it? What's the definition of ironic?
#13 Posted by DARKIDO07 (876 posts) -
Balls said:
"dsplayer1010 said:
"The very definition of ironic."
Is it? What's the definition of ironic?"
  Because EA made it so you could only install the game three times to prevent it from being pirated and look what happened.
#14 Posted by dsplayer1010 (2227 posts) -
DARKIDO07 said:
"Balls said:
"dsplayer1010 said:
"The very definition of ironic."
Is it? What's the definition of ironic?"
  Because EA made it so you could only install the game three times to prevent it from being pirated and look what happened."
Exactly
#15 Edited by MasterOfPenguins_Zell (2093 posts) -

That list makes me sad.... =/

=(
#16 Posted by DualReaver (3882 posts) -

Holy shit, 470,000 people play Soccer games?

#17 Posted by pause422 (6240 posts) -
DualReaver said:
"Holy shit, 470,000 people play Soccer games?"
yeah really.
#18 Edited by LiquidPrince (16165 posts) -
DualReaver said:
"Holy shit, 470,000 people play Soccer games?"
 Why not, it's free... Or stolen or whatever...
#19 Edited by IncredibleBulk92 (936 posts) -
DualReaver said:
"Holy shit, 470,000 people play Soccer games?"
You do know that game is probably in the Top 10 most selling games in the UK right now?  half my friends list has got it.

Oh and yea I know that a lot of people actually buy PC games, unfortunately they all buy through Steam.  To be fair a couple of those games are pretty high end and require quite beefy machines.  I tend to pirate high end games to see if they work on my machine before I buy them.  Burns out that saved me money on Crysis which tended to crash every 5 minutes.

It amuses me that 4 of the top 10 games are published by EA
#20 Posted by Will1Lucky (408 posts) -

Christ great going everyone who pirated it, you have all gone and jusitifed to them why DRM is needed and if anything there going to use even more insane methods to prevent people from downloading it.

#21 Posted by IncredibleBulk92 (936 posts) -

Um I don't think that you fully understand the post Will, despite one of the most strict DRM strategies used to date Spore was available illegally a full week before release and recieved more illegal downloads then most games get legitemate sales.  It does kinda suggest that DRM is completely worthless.

#22 Posted by Karmum (11519 posts) -
IncredibleBulk92 said:
"DualReaver said:
"Holy shit, 470,000 people play Soccer games?"
You do know that game is probably in the Top 10 most selling games in the UK right now?  half my friends list has got it.

Oh and yea I know that a lot of people actually buy PC games, unfortunately they all buy through Steam.  To be fair a couple of those games are pretty high end and require quite beefy machines.  I tend to pirate high end games to see if they work on my machine before I buy them.  Burns out that saved me money on Crysis which tended to crash every 5 minutes.

It amuses me that 4 of the top 10 games are published by EA
"
EA does nothing to stop pirates from getting their games, so it doesn't surprise me.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.