Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Spore

Game » consists of 9 releases. Released Sep 07, 2008

Simulate the development and progression of an alien species as it evolves from a single-celled organism to a sapient level, rises up through various stages of civilization, and eventually becomes a space-faring species.

SPORE : Online Authentications

VACkillers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 4

#1  Edited By VACkillers

going to quote from giantbombs own page on spore here :

"SecuRom DRM

Currently, Spore is slated to use the SecuRom DRM method of copy protection. The game will authenticate online when you install and launch it the first time and  will re-authenticate when you use online features or download new content or patches. You will only be allowed to install the game 3 times (using the included 3 activations available) and there are NO credits given back when you completely uninstall it. If you try to play on the 4th install, you will receive a message like this: “The game can not start. For security reasons, only a limited number of machines can ever be licensed by a single purchase. This limit has been reached. Please purchase another registration code, reinstall, and then try again.” In Most cases, EA asks that you re-purchase a license."

I dont really care much for the online authentication methods, can be a good copy protection, but what i do mind, is only being able to install it 3 times and then your screwed. If you have to format the machine for so many reasons, usually spyware and virus's more then 3 times, the game that you bought wont work... I've always thought that this line of thinking is absolutely madness and will really really! hinder sales if you can only install it 3 times.... The online auth. logic is fine, the 3 times installation only, is absolutely retarded. Maybe im the only one that thinks this is stupid but thats just how i feel, and other games have done it in the past, and have had to come out with a patch to disable it later.

mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 6

#2  Edited By mike

I've had other software products that used this type of DRM.  I was always able to get around this limitation by contacting the publisher's customer service department and getting new registration codes emailed to me. 

sizu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

#3  Edited By sizu
    zeus_gb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 5

#4  Edited By zeus_gb

I can understand why they've done it but when I buy a game it's mine and I should be able to do with it as I please (as long as I don't do anything illegal).

coakroach

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#5  Edited By coakroach

Friggin bull, I understand why they're doing this.
    Still, its friggin bull.

xruntime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#7  Edited By xruntime

See, it's not that its bad for me or anything, because I haven't had many problems with this. But pirates are going to crack it regardless, so its not like you're accomplishing anything by adding it.

giyanks22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

User Lists: 5

#8  Edited By giyanks22

They better fix that.

Termite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#9  Edited By Termite
    xruntime said:
    "See, it's not that its bad for me or anything, because I haven't had many problems with this. But pirates are going to crack it regardless, so its not like you're accomplishing anything by adding it."

Exactly, it doesn't deter the pirates.

I can understand them trying something new, but all it does is punish the real customer and it'll probably just take an extra day for the crackers to break it
    brukaoru

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#10  Edited By brukaoru
    Termite said:
    "xruntime said:
    "See, it's not that its bad for me or anything, because I haven't had many problems with this. But pirates are going to crack it regardless, so its not like you're accomplishing anything by adding it."
    Exactly, it doesn't deter the pirates.

I can understand them trying something new, but all it does is punish the real customer and it'll probably just take an extra day for the crackers to break it"
    Sadly this is true. No matter what these developers come up with regarding DRM, it's always being cracked.
    Avatar image for deactivated-5c5cdba6e0b96
    deactivated-5c5cdba6e0b96

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 3

This is bull shit, why the hell would they put this on there, sure it may stop the pirates for awhile but they ALWAYS find away around things like this.
    Come on Will don`t do this to your customers!

VACkillers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By VACkillers

i think it'll just hurt the number of sales in the long run anyway using this method

krazedkaoz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By krazedkaoz

I have yet to see a source that I trust say theres a 3 time limit

In a short interview with Eurogamer, producer Lucy Bradshaw confirmed that internal studio Maxis has expansions planned for Spore. The producer also re-confirmed that SecuROM will be integrated into every retail copy of Spore.

"When we started Spore, we were thinking about how we'd make an engine that had the possibility of expansion, so yes, we'll add to the experience," she told Eurogamer. However, unlike the studio's million-selling franchise The Sims, Spore's engine allows for not only the introduction of more content.

In fact, Bradshaw says that one of the many features that were cancelled for Spore's initial release, the Flora Editor, is likely to come as a Spore add-on in the future. "It's something we eventually want to get out there as it is fun to work with," she added.

But perhaps more concerning to mainstream PC gamers were the thoughts over DRMsoftware, which Spore will likely arrive with come September. Bradshaw confirms the news announced earlier that SecuROM protection will be included, and that they 10-day authentication will not be implemented.

Like BioWare's Mass Effect, the copy protection method will require a one-time online authentication. It will also still limit the installation of one copy of Spore over three different systems.

There was no clarification if subsequent updates to content and Spore would need authentication, nor was there clarification if minor or major changes to hardware would nullify yet another activation from the limited three.

We intend to clear the air soon before Spore ships to shelves, so stay tuned for updates on that.

http://www.qj.net/Spore-producer-expansions-planned-DRM-necessary/pg/49/aid/123183
    http://kotaku.com/5008454/spore-to-use-online-authentication

(edit)ok found it lol still no reason to panic though. Gonna be a pain but It doesnt look like you need to pay again.

The DRM solution implemented for the Spore Creature Creator changes copy protection from being key disc based, which requires authentication every time you play the game by requiring a disc in the drive, to a one time online authentication. This system has the added benefit of allowing you to seamlessly play your game without requiring the game disc in the drive.

KEY POINTS:

• This system allows you to authenticate your game on three different computers with the purchase of one disc. EA Customer Service is on hand to supply any additional authorizations that are warranted. This will be done on a case-by-case basis by contacting Customer Support.
    • Games are authorized to your machine when you first install and launch the game.
    • We’ve all had those times when the discs get lost or scratched and you can’t play a game you’ve bought because you need a working disc in the drive. With this new system, players will no longer need the disc to play the game, but can instead simply retain the disc as back up for re-installation.

FAQ:

Q: What is the difference between the old PC disc authentication solution and the new online model?
    A: Two things have changed:
    • First, authentication of your game disc has changed from a physical format to an online format, eliminating the need to have a disc in the drive when playing.
    • Second, with online authentication, consumers now connect to the Internet the first time the game is launched and are only required to reconnect if they are downloading new game content.
    Q: How will the game authenticate now?
    A: We authenticate your game online when you install and launch it for the first time.

Q: Do I have to re-authenticate after the first time my game is launched?
    A: Re-authentication is required if the game is re-installed on a previously authorized machine for any reason. If you choose to use online features or download new content or a patch for your game you will need to register online and log in for those services.

Q: What are the benefits of online authentication, vs. the disc-based model?
    A: The new system means you don't need to have the game disc in your computer in order to play. Losing a disc will no longer keep you from enjoying a game you already have installed.

Q: Am I able to play my game on more than one computer? Do I need the disc for that?
    A: You'll be able to install and play your game on up to three computers without the need of the game disc. Your computer is authorized after installation and the initial launch of the game.

Q: Will I still be able to play my game offline?
    A: Yes, you can play offline. However, we do hope that you will play online. Sharing creatures, buildings and vehicles with other players is something that is unique to Spore and one of the coolest features of the game.

Q: What happens when I’ve reached the maximum number of computers for my game and I need more? (Due to computer upgrades, theft, crashes, etc.)
    A: EA Customer Support is on hand to supply any additional authorizations that are warranted. This will be done on a case-by-case basis by contacting Customer Support.

Q: Why are Maxis and EA implementing this new authentication process?
    A: This solution serves to protect our software from piracy. It has the added benefit of allowing you to activate your game on multiple machines without needing the game disc in the drive when playing the game.

http://support.ea.com/cgi-bin/ea.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_faqid=19743&p_created=1211584776&p_sid=XZ97kg9j&p_accessibility=0&p_redirect=&p_lva=&p_sp=cF9zcmNoPTEmcF9zb3J0X2J5PSZwX2dyaWRzb3J0PSZwX3Jvd19jbnQ9MSwxJnBfcHJvZHM9Nyw2MjIwJnBfY2F0cz0wJnBfcHY9Mi42MjIwJnBfY3Y9JnBfcGFnZT0xJnBfc2VhcmNoX3RleHQ9RFJN&p_li=&p_topview=1
    VACkillers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By VACkillers

only real way for sure is for someone to try and install it 4 times on its release and see what happens i guess

Otacon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Otacon

Why not just let you have as many installs as you want but require the disc for use?

Dan55304

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Dan55304

Well, I just hit the 3 install limit because of failing laptop I eventually replaced.  Now I can't play my $80 game.  I didn't see anything about their DRM scheme when I pre-ordered weeks before the release.

Please don't buy any game with this type of DRM.  Adobe uses it also but at least they have a 24 hour support line that give me a new license code.  Yup, hit that one too.
    I will make sure I check DRM schemes now with every purchase and avoid companies that use this type of scheme.  EA also found a way here to eliminate the 2nd hand market.  You can NEVER sell this game.  Nice trick.  EA is off my buy list.
    VACkillers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By VACkillers

that really sucks ass dan sorry to hear... the whole DRM is a totally stupid idea....

Vlademir

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#18  Edited By Vlademir

I thought they cut out the automatic authentication when you're connected to the internet a long time ago? I'm pretty sure it only authenticates when you install it and that's it.

kashif

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By kashif

The DRM is making spore the most pirated game in history, i wasn't gonna buy it but if i wass id go for the cracked vesion

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.