Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Spore

Game » consists of 9 releases. Released Sep 07, 2008

Simulate the development and progression of an alien species as it evolves from a single-celled organism to a sapient level, rises up through various stages of civilization, and eventually becomes a space-faring species.

What ever happened to this game?

NekuSakuraba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

#1  Edited By NekuSakuraba

So Spore came out back in 2008 and was supposed to be supported with expansion pack my question is, where are they?

There was one that came out in 2009 but shouldn't there be more? sure the game didn't live up to the hype but it was still a great game.

Thanks.

NekuSakuraba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By NekuSakuraba

Bump... :D

samfo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#3  Edited By samfo

I think it fell victim to "The Sims 3"!!! But yeah, I liked the idea of SPORE alot, in fact it was the first PC game I'd bought in aaaaaages, but found it to be a little too casual for my tastes... 

Gave it to a friend who really enjoyed Age of Empires back in the day, and he loved it!  

Perhaps the casual market, didn't desire expansion packs and maybe the first one did not sell as well as they would have liked.  

Either way, the tools/engine in that game were far cooler than the game itself. I call that "Skate" syndrome.
    sixpin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 7

#4  Edited By sixpin
    @SamFo: Aw, Skate is better than that. I'd put ModNation Racers and LittleBigPlanet in that category though. The difference for me was that unlike those two games or Spore, I found Skate to have more compelling gameplay. I found Spore's creator tools to be off-putting; everything that I created had this odd squishiness about it. Once things where created, however, that is where anything halfway interesting ended.
    kabuto202

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#5  Edited By kabuto202

It was over hyped bitter and disappointing.

Pinworm45

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#6  Edited By Pinworm45

It's too bad, I did have some fun with it, and it COULD have been an amazing game if it just had a bit more production time

Mr_Skeleton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#7  Edited By Mr_Skeleton
    @NekuSakuraba said:
    "Bump... :D "

I have been waiting for so long for this moment, now I can die a happy man.
    ToxicFruit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#8  Edited By ToxicFruit

It came out, was over hyped and really nothing like they promised it would be but I still had some good fun with it  

NekuSakuraba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By NekuSakuraba

Any news? :(

NekuSakuraba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By NekuSakuraba

Noone?! D:

Avatar image for taliciadragonsong
    TaliciaDragonsong

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

I'm afraid it sucks, only the first and second stage were fun, after that...well I wasn't sure what I was playing anymore!

NekuSakuraba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By NekuSakuraba
    @TaliciaDragonsong said:
    "I'm afraid it sucks, only the first and second stage were fun, after that...well I wasn't sure what I was playing anymore! "

I disagree, I thought the game was great! :D
    cid798

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By cid798
    @TaliciaDragonsong: Good point 

I feel like it was really touted as being so revolutionary with character creation - but i feel it really boiled down to picking the best parts with the best benefits to give you the edge over whatever you faced. After that it was basically the same when it came to building cities/conquering cities etc - it just came down to making vehicles with good stats. 

I would say the biggest problem is the character design, although you could make practically whatever you want, was not intuitive. You could create something like an ultimate predator but it would not be as good as some crap creature that's covered in like spikes that may add to your attack ability or defensive scales etc.
    NekuSakuraba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By NekuSakuraba

I understand you guys might not have liked it but all I want to know is if there is going to be any futher expansion packs.

Avatar image for wintersnowblind
    WinterSnowblind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#15  Edited By WinterSnowblind

Glad you enjoyed it, I feel it was similar to Fable in a lot of ways, being massively overhyped and the actualy gameplay mechanics weren't really anything like what we were expecting.
    But the difference is that I felt the underlying the hype, Fable was still a really good game, if you could put aside expectations and disappointment.

Spore didn't really have that..  The customisation aspects were fun, but aside from that the core game wasn't particularly appealing.
    But again, if you enjoyed it, don't let anyone stop you.  But the game simply isn't popular enough to keep being supported.  The spin-off games and perhaps an eventual sequel are what you should be looking foward to.

NekuSakuraba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By NekuSakuraba
    @WinterSnowblind said:
    "Glad you enjoyed it, I feel it was similar to Fable in a lot of ways, being massively overhyped and the actualy gameplay mechanics weren't really anything like what we were expecting. But the difference is that I felt the underlying the hype, Fable was still a really good game, if you could put aside expectations.  Spore didn't really have that..  The customisation aspects were fun, but aside from that the core game wasn't particularly appealing. But again, if you enjoyed it, don't let anyone stop you.  But the game simply isn't popular enough to keep being supported.  The spin-off games and perhaps an eventual sequel are what you should be looking foward to. "

Well that sucks. -__-
    AhmadMetallic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#17  Edited By AhmadMetallic
    @Mr_Skeleton said:
    " @NekuSakuraba said:
    "Bump... :D "

No Caption Provided
     I have been waiting for so long for this moment, now I can die a happy man. "
    *gunshot*
    TaliciaDragonsong

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@NekuSakuraba said:
    "

I understand you guys might not have liked it but all I want to know is if there is going to be any futher expansion packs.

"
    All I hear is that there's some third person action game coming? I read it here on the site somewhere, but I think they don't wanna do something with it since it didn't give them the numbers they hoped for.
    NekuSakuraba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By NekuSakuraba
    @TaliciaDragonsong said:
    " @NekuSakuraba said:
    "

"
    All I hear is that there's some third person action game coming? I read it here on the site somewhere, but I think they don't wanna do something with it since it didn't give them the numbers they hoped for. "
    I thought the game sold well?
    bed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 24

#20  Edited By bed
    ryanwho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By ryanwho

They did a few things in spinoffs to adress the game part of the game not being enjoyable for most people but mostly Spore continues to be a series of cool creature creators with no great game to put them in.

DCFGS3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#22  Edited By DCFGS3

I dunno, I liked it, but I felt the later stages were too underdeveloped. They became dumbed down rts's and civ games, not what they should have been. I would love to see a serious, non-cartoony remake of Spore, where you really define your species and its traits.

SSully

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By SSully

I actually enjoyed it. I played through it 2 or 3 times, but i always stopped when i got to the space stage, it just wasnt that fun. Hmmmmmm maybe ill reinstall it and give it another go.......

NekuSakuraba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By NekuSakuraba
    @SSully said:
    " I actually enjoyed it. I played through it 2 or 3 times, but i always stopped when i got to the space stage, it just wasnt that fun. Hmmmmmm maybe ill reinstall it and give it another go....... "
    I didn't enjoy the space stage either but Galactic Adventures changed that.
    NekuSakuraba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By NekuSakuraba
    @AjayRaz said:
    " @NekuSakuraba: it appears so "
    That is actually surprising considering how much it would have got pirated. 
    TaliciaDragonsong

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@NekuSakuraba: 

That's quite a lot in AjayRaz's link, but something tells me EA doesn't agree XD 
    I hope they can do something with the franchise, the very first cell stage was one of the coolest things I ever played in a while.
    NekuSakuraba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By NekuSakuraba

What didn't people like about the game? just curious! ^__^ .

bed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 24

#28  Edited By bed
    @NekuSakuraba said:
    " What didn't people like about the game? just curious! ^__^ . "
    you should read what was said in the thread. people say that the game felt underdeveloped, the core gameplay wasn't very appealing and it was 'overhyped'  

not my opinion.. i never played it. that's what i gathered from the thread. 
    NekuSakuraba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By NekuSakuraba
    @AjayRaz said:
    " @NekuSakuraba said:
    you should read what was said in the thread. people say that the game felt underdeveloped, the core gameplay wasn't very appealing and it was 'overhyped'   not my opinion.. i never played it. that's what i gathered from the thread.  "
    Well, a game being overhyped should mean it's bad. 

And I understood they felt it was underdeveloped I was just curious as to how.
    Danbo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Danbo

I found the game a disappointment. It was like 5 games rolled into one (each stage), but each stage lacked depth. The 3rd stage was a terrible attempt at an RTS and the 4th stage was just a supremely dumbed down and unchallenging Civilisation. I was looking forward to it so much as well :(

Lind_L_Taylor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#31  Edited By Lind_L_Taylor
    @NekuSakuraba said:

I didn't hate the game at all.  I was planning on playing the beejeebus out of it but I was taking some grad
    classes at the time & that kept me from getting to the game forever!  I've only played through to the
    Tribal stage.  One thing that really pissed me off more than anything was that I had completed the
    Tribal stage after quite a few retries & the whole damn game crashed & I had to start completely
    over from the Tribal stage after 4 hours of hard work was killed. It was at this point that I stopped playing the game.

Currently I have the game on my Macbook Pro & play it, but only occasionally. I bought the Spore
    Galactic Adventures as well & put it on my Mac Spore.  For whatever reason however,
    I haven't been able to dedicate the time I'd like to play the game.  I recently started playing EVE Online
    & have a backlog of Xbox 360 games to play so it's hard to squeeze it in.

I really want to get to the Galactic End Game & take over the galaxy.  I'd also like to get all of the
    Spore achievements.  They have a website to pull Spore achievements & I've requested they add
    it to Giantbomb, but so far they haven't bothered. Considering they gave the game 4 stars it would
    make Spore a more meaningful experience if I could add my achievements to the system.  :-(

I imagine that Spore 2 will probably take into account all of the complaints to build a better game,
    assuming that Spore 2 is in the works.  Since they have a new Spore-related game coming out,
    Darkspore, I'd think they're still harnessing the Spore game for all kinds of entertainment purposes.
    They basically built a gaming universe, but didn't put all the games in it right away.

Just before Spore came out, I was thinking it was gonna be a WoW-killer.  It had that cartoony look
    that seems to attract WoW players, yet it would be free to play.  But it didn't have the depth that I
    thought it would have.  I'm still hopeful & one of these days I'm gonna sit down & get to the Galactic
    Level & then try Galactic Adventures!

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.