Wright responds to critics reviews + scores...

#1 Posted by DJGuardy (8 posts) -

Hey everyone, don't really keep the GB account active, but seeing how new posts are made for whenever a major gaming review site releases their rating of Spore, I just thought I'd share something whilst browsing through Google News on the subject.

http://multiplayerblog.mtv.com/2008/09/07/will-wright-reacts-to-crtical-spore-reviews/

Curious how he mentions the Metacritic and sales of The Sims 2 as a target for the game. Let me know what you guys think!

DJGuardy

#2 Edited by brukaoru (5134 posts) -
 http://multiplayerblog.mtv.com/2008/09/07/will-wright-reacts-to-crtical-spore-reviews/
"So why is it getting 8s and 9s rather than 10s?"

This is why I hate scores for game reviews... When 8 and 9s aren't good enough, then what is the point of scores?
"But we looked at the Metacritic scores for “Sims 2″ , which was around 90, and something like “Half-Life“, which was 97, and we decided — quite a while back — that we would rather have the Metacritic and sales of “Sims 2″ than the Metacritic and sales of “Half-Life.”
Uh oh, did he just take a jab at Valve? Ooh, Wright, you daredevil! That brings up a good point though, just because a game gets a really good score does not mean that it will sell well, or sell as well as other games. But, if he is counting all the expansion packs of Sims 2, then that's just not fair.
#3 Posted by Kush (9089 posts) -

If Spore sells as well as The Sims 2 I will be surprised as balls in a basket or easter eggs and cheddar cheese sandwiches!

#4 Edited by Lozz (375 posts) -
Kush said:
"If Spore sells as well as The Sims 2 I will be surprised as balls in a basket or easter eggs and cheddar cheese sandwiches!"
I agree, it won't do as well as the any of the Sims games.
#5 Posted by Shocker (2324 posts) -
Kush said:
"If Spore sells as well as The Sims 2 I will be surprised as balls in a basket or easter eggs and cheddar cheese sandwiches!"
haha me too. There's almost no way it will sell that many.
#6 Posted by xruntime (1980 posts) -
"...and we decided — quite a while back — that we would rather have the Metacritic and sales of “Sims 2″ than the Metacritic and sales of “Half-Life."

Translation: "We just want the money, we don't care about making a good game. "
#7 Posted by HistoryInRust (6669 posts) -

Ah, Capitalism at its finest.

A race to the bottom, it seems.

#8 Posted by Colonel_Cool (827 posts) -

To be honest, I think the game would have sold more if it had been a more complex game, since people like me wouldn't have been turned off because of the dumbing down, and all the mainstream people would have bought it anyway because of all the hype.

#9 Edited by DualReaver (3792 posts) -

Spore is missing gladiator-styled arenas. That would've made this game ace.

#10 Posted by HistoryInRust (6669 posts) -
DualReaver said:
"Spore is missing gladiator-styled arenas. That would've made this game ace."
Spore is also missing arena-styled gladiators.  The game might have been a queen.  Maybe a Queen of Spades?
#11 Posted by Jimbo_N (1475 posts) -

aaah, expectations..what a mess they make. All I get out of this text is that, yea, Will is still one of earths greatest geniouses.

#12 Posted by TheGreatGuero (8882 posts) -
DualReaver said:
"Spore is missing gladiator-styled arenas. That would've made this game ace."
Yeah, dude! You said it. You should be making games for a living, man. Spore death matches? Count me in.
#13 Posted by serbsta (1952 posts) -

Who cares, personally i think the game was slightly overrated pre-launch.

#14 Posted by mikevanpwn (433 posts) -
xruntime said:
"
"...and we decided — quite a while back — that we would rather have the Metacritic and sales of “Sims 2″ than the Metacritic and sales of “Half-Life."

"
You fail at translating.  Spore isn't a poorly made game, its a game that's made to appeal to a wider audience and that's what its saying.  Will Wright wants everyone possible to experience his game but if he makes it tailored to a hardcore player than such a small slice of the audience will ever play it.
#15 Posted by Metal_Mills (3400 posts) -
Kush said:
I think it'll sell 10 million, not 30 million though. It is already at 1.2 million.
#16 Posted by xruntime (1980 posts) -
mikevanpwn said:
"xruntime said:
"

"
You fail at translating.  Spore isn't a poorly made game, its a game that's made to appeal to a wider audience and that's what its saying.  Will Wright wants everyone possible to experience his game but if he makes it tailored to a hardcore player than such a small slice of the audience will ever play it."
You fail at listening. Did I say it was a poorly made game? No. I haven't even played the game.
#17 Posted by Psytek (184 posts) -

"8.0, why so low?"

On a scale of ONE to TEN, anything above a 7 is fucking good!!!

Not every game can be a 9+/10, that's just the way it is with everything. The recent rambo film has a 46 on metacritic, you think that stopped bagillions of people from seeing it and liking it. Not every piece of art is a masterpiece, not every movie is a blockbuster, not every book is a bestseller... but they can still be pretty good.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.