Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Spy

Character » appears in 5 games

The Spy is a character class in the Team Fortress franchise. He is a very unique character who can not only turn invisible, but can disguise himself as a member of the opposing team. He is most suited to taking out high value targets.

The Spy is Overpowered

Terrell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 10

#1  Edited By Terrell

Is the Spy Overpowered? YES.
    Is he a cheap character in an otherwise awesome game? YES

So... he's a character that can not only turn invisible, but he can make himself look like my own team, and the only way to tell if he is in disguise is to shoot at all of my teammates, wasting ammo and time?

But you say he only has a puny knife and revolver, so he isn't that offensively strong? That would be fine if his knife didn't ALWAYS get an instant kill everytime he used it (apparently just to the slight side of my front is still my back, so it still counts as a backstab).

Oh yeah, and he can destroy all of my structures and placements too with his sapper..

So the Spy is some sort of... Structure Destroyer? And he also can become any character in the game, and then upon being sighted (which is a miracle if it happens in itself) can run away and disappear into thin air with his cloaking and high speed...

So YES, the spy IS overpowered!

Disagree? You're wrong, but still you can discuss it, I guess...

weltal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#2  Edited By weltal

Nope. You're wrong.

Really though, play the spy than say he's overpowered.

Bass

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#3  Edited By Bass

Ummm. the spy is pretty much royally fucked by how the game is played today. Pyros run around everywhere and engineers hump their sentries with their wrenches. Only a truly skilled spy can cause havoc on skilled players, and that's pretty much true with all of the classes.  Besides, there are many ways to tell if someone is an enemy spy. First of all, the best way to check is to look at their health meter. It's exactly half filled everytime you look at them (unless they have been healed by a friendly medic... which means that medic sucks.). If you see a half-filled health meter, it's probably a spy. A spy out of disguise is pretty useless. One or two hits from pretty much any weapon will kill a spy right on the spot...

Yeah spies aren't overpowered... anymore. When the game first released, it was harder for people to discover a spy, so they got owned a lot.

BiffMcBlumpkin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#4  Edited By BiffMcBlumpkin

The Spy is one of the top 2 or 3 characters that takes the highest skill to play, I would argue it's the most skillful character.

If your team is getting bent over backwards by one or more enemy spies then you're not taking enough measures to protect against them (knowing who on your team is what character thereby knowing if the spy has the wrong name matched to the wrong character, and if the spy is imitating this then you should be occasionally plugging your teammates to ensure they aren't spies.) You should know how enemy spies will come in and where/how they will most typically prey on you.

If you're playing in a scenario where someone has a mastery of the spy then you will also be playing in a scenario where other people have mastery of other characters (just because the spy takes practice and skill, and someone can't BS their way through playing with one.) The spy is just not something you can play  for the first few times and know "How to play" almost instinctively, like the Heavy or the Pyro.

Terrell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Terrell
    Weltal said:
    "Nope. You're wrong.

Really though, play the spy than say he's overpowered."
    I've played the spy a bit, and yes, he is overpowered. There were times when I went an entire match only dieing maybe one or two times as the spy, but still causing all typed of trouble and mayhem to the other team.

The Spy unbalances the game. Every class has a unique special ability that adds to the game but makes you rely on the other classes for help. The spy doesn't require anyone else and just is too powerful.

I know there is some guy sitting there just getting ready to type "Stop complaining to us, complain to valve" or something along those lines. And to him I say, it's called a forum, so this is where I'm writing it, deal with it.

In any case, yeah, he's very overpowered!
    wefwefasdf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 1

#6  Edited By wefwefasdf

I never found the spy very powerful if your team communicates.

"Dude, is anyone a heavy?"

"Nope."

*Unleashes Fury*

BiffMcBlumpkin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By BiffMcBlumpkin
    Terrell said:
    "Weltal said:
    "Nope. You're wrong.

I've played the spy a bit, and yes, he is overpowered. There were times when I went an entire match only dieing maybe one or two times as the spy, but still causing all typed of trouble and mayhem to the other team. "

Then this has nothing to do with the Spy being overpowered, it has to do with the people you were palying against sucking.
    Bass

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Bass

^^ yes. A single decent pyro on the opposing team can screw over any spy.

Terrell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Terrell
    BiffMcBlumpkin said:
    "Terrell said:
    "Weltal said:
    "Nope. You're wrong.

I've played the spy a bit, and yes, he is overpowered. There were times when I went an entire match only dieing maybe one or two times as the spy, but still causing all typed of trouble and mayhem to the other team. "

Then this has nothing to do with the Spy being overpowered, it has to do with the people you were palying against sucking."
    Trust me, they were very skilled players most of the times I played as the spy.

I have a steady group of friends I play with, and we're all pretty skilled.

Also, I've played in a few random ranked and unranked matches, just to test it out, and mostly same results (one ranked match was full of Spy's so it just turned into backstabbing all over the place, which threw off my test...)

I understand what you are saying, saying there are precise counter-measures to detect and get rid of spy. But I guarantee you that most people, even yourself would have a hard time following those very same techniques that you say work so well.  They sound real nice in theory, but fail in execution.
    Bass

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Bass

Nope. I'm really a great spy checker, and I don't ever play pyro. The only way i ever get killed by a spy is when they go invisible until they are behind me, and then stab me. But that's usually my own fault. A disguised spy hasn't killed me since the first few days of owning the game.

coakroach

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By coakroach

The spy is pretty overpowered
    IF
    You have the proper skills and 0 latency
    And few have that where I am

SpecTackle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By SpecTackle

Sorry but I've never been in a game where one or two or three spies dominated the entire game. It's happened with great demoman players, but that's it. The spy is not overpowered, it's actually arguably underpowered seeing as how it just takes one slight step to be noticed by the opposing team when they clip into you and come to a dead stop. The mere existence of the pyro keeps spies from being overpowered. Also, no the spy doesn't BECOME any other class in the game, he simply looks like those classes. He's not Shang Tsung, sorry pal.

Demilich

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#13  Edited By Demilich
    Terrell said:
    "Is the Spy Overpowered? YES.
    Is he a cheap character in an otherwise awesome game? YES

So... he's a character that can not only turn invisible, but he can make himself look like my own team, and the only way to tell if he is in disguise is to shoot at all of my teammates, wasting ammo and time?

But you say he only has a puny knife and revolver, so he isn't that offensively strong? That would be fine if his knife didn't ALWAYS get an instant kill everytime he used it (apparently just to the slight side of my front is still my back, so it still counts as a backstab).

Oh yeah, and he can destroy all of my structures and placements too with his sapper..

So the Spy is some sort of... Structure Destroyer? And he also can become any character in the game, and then upon being sighted (which is a miracle if it happens in itself) can run away and disappear into thin air with his cloaking and high speed...

So YES, the spy IS overpowered!

Disagree? You're wrong, but still you can discuss it, I guess..."
    >"I just started playing TF2 and I'm terrible at it. Clearly any class who bests me is overpowered."

fix't.

Stop being a whiny cunt.
    Mardarkin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Mardarkin

I award you zero points!  Sorry.

Most spies playing against a good, solid team will have their face handed to them.  All it takes is one sap or backstab to get the whole team screaming 'Spy!' and then it's shotgun blast or pyro-check on pretty much anyone running in the wrong direction.

Has the class got the ability to be very strong?  Yes.  Is it overpowered?  No, since there are too many counterbalances to his abiities.

Demilich

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Demilich
    pause422

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By pause422

This totally is not even close to true. For one- if you play it on the PC and not the 360(most players on 360 seem to be complete fucking morons) and play a spy, unless you are so absolutely careful, and just lucky sometimes, being a spy is very difficult...all it takes is a pyro or 2 onthe opposing team that sually flame every single teamate that walks near them. Unless you only move whiled cloaked it can be near impossible to get anything done as a spy when people have grown so paranoid about them.

edit-I just realized that now demilich, either they posted that originally or just copied it because they feel the same way..thats pretty funny.

Wuffi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Wuffi

fyi, i am a spy

pause422

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By pause422

There's this dude I know on XBL(even though I can't stand that version of TF2 one of my friends has it so I put up with it)  anyway, his tag is" FYI I am a Spy", which I love, and its always hilarious when I see someone got killed by him, or he is somehow tricking people with that name.

Rowr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#19  Edited By Rowr

waaa, something always kills me, it must be cheap, waaaaa

sorry thats all i heard.

learn to play the game, If your getting slaughtered by spies, change to pyro and flame everyone you see.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.