Are Square-Enix just Stupid or retarded?

• 0 results
#1 Posted by Astras (973 posts) -

Looking at their E3 list, still no mention of a FF7 remake. Do they not realise that they are sitting on a complete cash cow. Why cant they just listen to what (a huge crowd) people want and make the fucking remake FFS.
It makes me think that they don't have the talent to produce a 'this generation' engine capable of creating a game of the scope of FF7. 

Ok the list of games that they have put forward look decent, including Dungeon Siege 3 etc but.. come on. The tech demo was 4ish years ago now.
Instead of listening to what people want they continue their churning out of what seems less and less well made titles.

Please Square Enix, can you please just listen to the fans for a min?

#2 Posted by grossblood (37 posts) -

name 3 remakes to this level that have satisfied fans.

#3 Posted by kingclaw (757 posts) -

Where's the poll?

#4 Posted by sodiumCyclops (2644 posts) -

Deus Ex 3 is much more interesting than any FF7 remake.

#5 Posted by Astras (973 posts) -
@kingclaw: 
Yea lol, I never really had a poll in mind when I made this, but I'd choose Retarded I think because I don't think that they believe that they can cost effectively model the FF7 universe in this console generation. Or have the skills to create an open world environment game anymore. Seems to me that they are now the masters at Corridor/linear titles.
#6 Posted by Astras (973 posts) -
@sodiumCyclops said:
" Deus Ex 3 is much more interesting than any FF7 remake. "
For some, yes
#7 Posted by SlasherMan (1725 posts) -

They kind of remind me of Valve now. We ask for Ep3, they give us L4D2. We ask for Ep3 again, we get Portal 2.

I don't know. I would definitely be in favor of a FF7 remake, and I can't imagine any FF fan not being in the same position, so I can't really understand what their deal is. I really doubt it's some kind of incompetence in creating an engine that would suit the game, though. But I guess that also depends on the scale of the remake.

#8 Posted by zonerover (584 posts) -

If we're going to keep asking the question (FF7 is how old?), can someone tell me what Square need to do to make the game relevant for today? Personally I don't think even with modern graphics that the gameplay holds up, and obviously since the story isn't really a surprise anymore, this has got to be the key to make this work. If it were many other game franchises than perhaps it could work sales wise to cash in on an established franchise like FF7, but would it really work with hardcore or even casual Final Fantasy fans? I don't think it would.

#9 Posted by grossblood (37 posts) -

make a poll that says who wants an FF7 remake and who doesnt. :)

#10 Posted by YoThatLimp (1910 posts) -
@zonerover said:
" If we're going to keep asking the question (FF7 is how old?), can someone tell me what Square need to do to make the game relevant for today? Personally I don't think even with modern graphics that the gameplay holds up, and obviously since the story isn't really a surprise anymore, this has got to be the key to make this work. If it were many other game franchises than perhaps it could work sales wise to cash in on an established franchise like FF7, but would it really work with hardcore or even casual Final Fantasy fans? I don't think it would. "
Why wouldn't the game play hold up? Its basic turn based combat with a cool materia system. Do all rpgs these days have to be real time or something? Even objectively, this would make them a fucking bundle, it's stupid to sit on this. 
#11 Posted by kingclaw (757 posts) -
@grossblood said:
" make a poll that says who wants an FF7 remake and who doesnt. :) "
Here
#12 Posted by Astras (973 posts) -
@zonerover said:
" If we're going to keep asking the question (FF7 is how old?), can someone tell me what Square need to do to make the game relevant for today? Personally I don't think even with modern graphics that the gameplay holds up, and obviously since the story isn't really a surprise anymore, this has got to be the key to make this work. If it were many other game franchises than perhaps it could work sales wise to cash in on an established franchise like FF7, but would it really work with hardcore or even casual Final Fantasy fans? I don't think it would. "
How would the gameplay not hold up with a new engine?... okay certain tweaks would have to made to bring it upto scratch but that's what a remake provides. The core of the JRPG model hasn'e really changed that much over the years, infact the complexity has more or less declined. Look no further than FF13.
#13 Posted by XenoNick (1408 posts) -

There doesn't need to be a remake

#14 Posted by Remedy25 (131 posts) -

FF7 is one of my all time favourites, also love the movie (Advent Childen not Spirits Within) but...personally they shouldn't remake FF7. I think if someone tries to play it now-a-days with updated graphics it just won't have the same impact and magic it had back in the day.

#15 Posted by KingBroly (1645 posts) -

Can't they  be both?

#16 Posted by grossblood (37 posts) -

just try and remember when ocarina came out, and than they had majoras, and windwaker, and a sluuuuuuuuu of hand held games, and people just wanted ocarina again.

so they made it with twilight

and guess what

it was cool for 10 mins, and than we all forgot about it.

#17 Posted by John1912 (1886 posts) -

God, a FF7 remake would have been SOOOO much better then FF13.  I mean christ it couldnt be any worse.  If the combat wasnt half decent I never would have made it threw that POS.

#18 Posted by Astras (973 posts) -
@grossblood: 
Yea, i know what you mean.. But the FF7 franchise has a bit more legacy than a single Zelda game. It's hard to compare the impact of JRPG's and Action adventure games in terms of replayability also.
Zelda was much more solid graphically than FF7 anyway, if you doubt the popularity and demand for a remake, look no further than some of the online petitions.
#19 Posted by Jaqen_HGhar (898 posts) -

I choose both, because I think FF is both stupid and retarded. No wait, I choose neither. Since they aren't making a remake, they are pretty smart. I have nothing against Square Enix really, unless they do something stupid.  
Like interfering in anything Eidos makes. If they put any of the soap-opera drama-rama crap into those games, I will rage.   

#20 Edited by lucas_kelly (769 posts) -
#21 Posted by YoThatLimp (1910 posts) -
@grossblood said:
" just try and remember when ocarina came out, and than they had majoras, and windwaker, and a sluuuuuuuuu of hand held games, and people just wanted ocarina again.  so they made it with twilight  and guess what  it was cool for 10 mins, and than we all forgot about it. "
Except you morphed into a fucking wolf. 
#22 Posted by SeriouslyNow (8534 posts) -
@Astras said:
" @grossblood:  Yea, i know what you mean.. But the FF7 franchise has a bit more legacy than a single Zelda game. It's hard to compare the impact of JRPG's and Action adventure games in terms of replayability also. Zelda was much more solid graphically than FF7 anyway, if you doubt the popularity and demand for a remake, look no further than some of the online petitions. "
What?

Zelda has a much bigger and stronger audience than Final Fantasy.  It's also been far more influential.  Show me one single game which cleverly apes Final Fantasy with a modern twist like 3D DOT GAME HEROES does with Zelda.  You can't.
#23 Posted by Zero_ (1973 posts) -

I will go out of my way to friggin stop a FFVII remake and that's because I love it so much. It is my most favourite game of all time and always will be, mostly due to the way the story and characters just resonated with me. You just need to look at Square's latest attempt at milking the franchise, Compilation of FFVII, that goddamn movie and their recent FFXIII to know that Square is no where near as good as they used to be and they would only fuck up the great game's legacy. 

#24 Posted by ryoma122 (699 posts) -

the ff7 tech demo was only a tech demo nothing more so go and please hold yoru breath untill they make it they the world will be spared of one less retard

#25 Posted by grossblood (37 posts) -
@Metalideth: Thats where the cool 10 mins part came in
#26 Posted by simian (865 posts) -

There's a lot of reasons why Square-Enix could be considered stupid or clueless but not remaking FF7 isn't one of them. In fact it's probably one of the few sane decisions it's made.

#27 Posted by Lautaro (448 posts) -
@Metalideth said:
" @grossblood said:
" just try and remember when ocarina came out, and than they had majoras, and windwaker, and a sluuuuuuuuu of hand held games, and people just wanted ocarina again.  so they made it with twilight  and guess what  it was cool for 10 mins, and than we all forgot about it. "
Except you morphed into a fucking wolf.  "
That really annoyed me about TP.
#28 Posted by BulletproofMonk (2721 posts) -
#29 Posted by Atta (135 posts) -

I am a huge Final Fantasy fan and have said multiple times that FF7 is the best game ever made (in my opinion, naturally)

that said...remaking FF7 would be retarded, to say the least, and would destroy the game (again, my opinion)

#30 Edited by Yoshiya (38 posts) -

How about Square continue on the path of sanity and continue to disregard the demands of an all too vocal minority.  Considering the resources required to satisfy these people it simply isn't worth it (HD, likely fan backlash over  'streamlining').  Perhaps a FF4-style portable remake could be profitable, but that is what PSOne classics on PSP is for, yes?  How about Square continue to invest in developing new games and sound business decisions.  You are vastly overestimating the demand for such a remake, just as you are inflating your sense of entitlement and self-importance.

#31 Posted by Semition (731 posts) -
@BulletproofMonk said:
" @lucas_kelly said:
" They have addressed remaking Final Fantasy 7 in the past, and said that it would take too much time and money to remake the game. They said it would take 10 years to remake it, and considering all the text that has to be turned into voice, all the environments, all the models, and all the animation, I wouldn't be surprised.

http://gamrfeed.vgchartz.com/story/7117/square-enix-final-fantasy-vii-remake-would-take-10-years/ "
Ten years? Bullshit. "
If they were going to turn all of FF7's text into voice, its understandable why it would take so long.
#32 Posted by MachoFantastico (4700 posts) -

Both. 

#33 Posted by Pepsiman (2478 posts) -

Put this into perspective: XIII took, what, four to five years to make, right? We're talking about a game with a pretty huge budget and perhaps an even larger development and contracting team to boot. Look at the end result of those five years. You get a game whose scope is pretty predominantly linear. I'm aware the game opens up temporarily in the latter half of the story, but still, it's a game whose pacing, path, and methodology is by and large a lot more brazenly straightforward than what you'd find in previous entries in the series, VII included.

It took them four or five years to make XIII that sort of game. That's a long time and that's without a lot of the more open-ended standbys that VII helped popularize, or at least to anywhere near the same extent. This isn't me ragging on the linearity of XIII, as it is what it is, but if it took them about five years to make a game where you're mostly going forward, surely it's not hard to imagine Square-Enix as it is now taking even longer to remake a more open-ended game like VII up to their technical snuff. Is it still hypothetically feasible, sure? But who knows how long this console generation is going to last anyway. It'd be a serious gamble of time if Square-Enix were to dive into a remake now.

The original version of VII was able to come out in the time frame they did precisely because they cut some corners with the in-game technology. That was a game that worked from a technical standpoint only because it had stuff like prerendered backgrounds going for it. That just doesn't jibe today. Time adds up quickly when you not only have to rewrite the entire game's code to work on a completely different piece of console hardware, but also have to remake the assets so that they're both high resolution and can run at a reasonable frame rate. Also, let's not forget that voice acting work takes a while, especially if they continue to be super hellbent on localized lip-syncing.

Square-Enix's own ambitions and standards, however dubious they may be to some, have helped create a situation where it just isn't super plausible to do a remake that would satisfy the right bigwigs. Plus, I'd say the presence of competing franchises, be they Tales, Shin Megami Tensei, Star Ocean, or even Square-Enix's own Dragon Quest ensure that they have to think in terms of the present because for every year Square-Enix would spend diving back into its own history that drastically is that much more time to allow other RPG houses to get a leg-up in the market. If I were running the company, that by itself would be enough to make me wary of reduxing VII in such a grandiose scope as what's demanded and hypothetically expected.

#34 Posted by Capum15 (4901 posts) -

...for some reason my mind blurred the last few words of the title and I read it as "Super retarded?"

I need to go to sleep.

Though I do agree that they're sitting on a land mine of potential money.

#35 Posted by Garden_Ninja (97 posts) -

Shamus Young wrote an article for The Escapist about this recently that explains the probable reasons fairly well. There are also some good comments at his personal site about the article.  

FFVII was created under much different constraints than pretty much any modern game.  At the time, an overhead view, prerendered backgrounds and dialog that was completely text-based was pretty much the norm.  As such, the scope could be larger.  FFVII was enormous.

Compare with modern constraints.  You need fancy 3D graphics that can be viewed from any angle; motion capture; voice overs.  These things are expensive and have dependencies (see page 3 of the Escapist article). People have been complaining for years that games have been getting shorter, with simpler stories.  This is why.  That kind of scope just isn't possible. You can argue that you don't need 3D environments or mo-cap, and text only is fine.  But if that's the case, then why do you want a remake in the first place? It's not like you can't play it on modern systems because they released it on PSN.

Even ignoring the technical constraints, they still probably won't do it.  Some people would complain that they changed too much; others that they didn't change enough.  No one would be happy.

#36 Posted by sickVisionz (1268 posts) -

They already released FF7 for PS3 and PSP.  Any young fans who missed out the first time can play it again without having to hunt down a PS1 and pay like $100 for a copy of the game.  That's good enough imo.

#37 Posted by HypoXenophobia (1045 posts) -

Why are people living in the past? Final Fantasy 7 was a product of the 90's. Leave it there.

#38 Posted by ShiftyMagician (2129 posts) -
@sickVisionz said:
" They already released FF7 for PS3 and PSP.  Any young fans who missed out the first time can play it again without having to hunt down a PS1 and pay like $100 for a copy of the game.  That's good enough imo. "
Unfortunately, there is always a large band of people who are dying to see this game go HD, and look so realistic so that it comes to life in their minds.  This is most likely due to the fact that they want to see what they believe to be one of the greatest stories ever told shown with fantastic visuals.  

But I don't know if the whole "Aries dies, why doesn't a phoenix down work?" thing makes sense in this new decade.  To any logical person, that would be seen as a really odd plothole in this said epic story.  There are many enemies that can stab you besides Sepiroth, and it would be silly if the reason for this is that the heroes were lucky enough not to be stabbed, except that "one" time.  Mind you I loved FF7 and played it again a while ago, but it wasn't for the story.
#39 Posted by Dad_Is_A_Zombie (1225 posts) -
@sodiumCyclops said:
" Deus Ex 3 is much more interesting than any FF7 remake. "
This.
#40 Posted by CynicalOptimist (40 posts) -

The development team mentioned that it would be a difficult process to remake Final Fantasy VII by using the PlayStation 3's hardware. A remake is unnecessary, Square Enix would be still stuck in the past instead of creating new and ambitious titles. 

#41 Posted by harinosho (596 posts) -

they shouldnt make a ff7 remake, as half the world knows aeriths (spelling? i stopped caring 4 years ago) death in the game and other twists. 

the reason square enix is stupid and retarded is due to the fact that they stopped caring what gamers want, they have enough money to simply.. not care.

#42 Posted by Synthballs (2193 posts) -

The world can do without an overrated game getting a remake.  

Save it for a game that is deserving

#43 Posted by CronoXtream (119 posts) -

one thing gets me thinking....why make a FF7 tech demo in the first place.... i mean theres plenty of other ways sony could have done to show off the ps3 back then.....way use FF7, all it did was piss off alot of fans of the game later saying "oh btw were not remakeing it even tho we did this"

#44 Posted by CronoXtream (119 posts) -
@harinosho said:
" they shouldnt make a ff7 remake, as half the world knows aeriths (spelling? i stopped caring 4 years ago) death in the game and other twists.   the reason square enix is stupid and retarded is due to the fact that they stopped caring what gamers want, they have enough money to simply.. not care. "
i agree with you, SE does not care what there fans want, only what they want.
#45 Posted by Rawrz (590 posts) -

why give the fans what they want when the fans will buy anything they give them anyways?

#46 Posted by JokerSmilez (1293 posts) -

It's been said over and over, but it would take too much time and too much money for something they couldn't sell at full retail price. It would not be a money making venture as the budget would in all likelihood be more than FFXIII but sell less.

#47 Posted by Hockeymask27 (3683 posts) -

Man i bet you they wished they never showed that tech demo.

#48 Posted by Gaff (1758 posts) -

I'm going to quote Ryan from the E3 Day -1 podcast: 

Shut up, shut up, shut up

The whole FF7 remake "demand" has been hanging over the gaming community for almost 10 years. No one has yet given a good answer why it should happen. Besides, wouldn't a remake mean that the "beloved" FF7 had some glaring faults that keep it from being a timeless classic?
#49 Posted by tranquilchaos (575 posts) -

This thread sucks as much as FF7.

#50 Posted by Arestice (468 posts) -
@Astras said:

". It makes me think that they don't have the talent to produce a 'this generation' engine capable of creating a game of the scope of FF7.  "

SE fans want a FF7 remake? I certainly don't. I'm sorry bro, but you're never going to be 10-15and playing your first 3d FF game on a just released ps1. FF7 was not as good as "fans" make it out to be, you'll never be happy with another FF game.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.