Eidos Interactive Website Hacked, 350 Resumes And 25,000 Emails Plucked

• 133 results
Posted by patrickklepek (5992 posts) -

deusex.com getting hacked has some...irony.

Add Square Enix--well, Eidos Interactive--to the list of recent companies scrambling after a hacker intrusion. Security website Krebs on Security published the first news about deusex.com's compromise, where the front page was replaced with a rather dickish banner saying "owned by Chippy1337."

There was also online chatter that hackers came away with accounts and resumes.

Square Enix confirmed there was a compromise this afternoon.

"Square Enix can confirm a group of hackers gained access to parts of our Eidosmontreal.com website as well as two of our product sites," the company said in a statement. "We immediately took the sites offline to assess how this had happened and what had been accessed, then took further measures to increase the security of these and all of our websites, before allowing the sites to go live again."

350 resumes submitted for job positions and 25,000 email addresses from registered accounts were picked up in the attack, but Square Enix isn't aware of any personal information being taken. Square Enix is contacting the individuals whose resumes were exposed.

In the wake of PlayStation Network's troubles, taking solace in "just" an email being taken is unsettling.

"We take the security of our websites extremely seriously and employ strict measures," continued the company, "which we test regularly, to guard against this sort of incident."

Maybe next time.

#1 Posted by patrickklepek (5992 posts) -

deusex.com getting hacked has some...irony.

Add Square Enix--well, Eidos Interactive--to the list of recent companies scrambling after a hacker intrusion. Security website Krebs on Security published the first news about deusex.com's compromise, where the front page was replaced with a rather dickish banner saying "owned by Chippy1337."

There was also online chatter that hackers came away with accounts and resumes.

Square Enix confirmed there was a compromise this afternoon.

"Square Enix can confirm a group of hackers gained access to parts of our Eidosmontreal.com website as well as two of our product sites," the company said in a statement. "We immediately took the sites offline to assess how this had happened and what had been accessed, then took further measures to increase the security of these and all of our websites, before allowing the sites to go live again."

350 resumes submitted for job positions and 25,000 email addresses from registered accounts were picked up in the attack, but Square Enix isn't aware of any personal information being taken. Square Enix is contacting the individuals whose resumes were exposed.

In the wake of PlayStation Network's troubles, taking solace in "just" an email being taken is unsettling.

"We take the security of our websites extremely seriously and employ strict measures," continued the company, "which we test regularly, to guard against this sort of incident."

Maybe next time.

#2 Posted by powerpc127 (99 posts) -

More hacks?

#3 Posted by ThatFrood (3376 posts) -

:|

#4 Posted by Darth_Furder (31 posts) -

Ouch

#5 Posted by Jabbawocky (80 posts) -

Hacks making the world a sad place.

#6 Posted by TheBlindChessman (241 posts) -

I guess nothing is safe in this era.

#7 Posted by Yummylee (22270 posts) -

This is getting ridiculous. Hackers are bloody everywhere and hacking everything, and there's only one sure way to rid ourselves of this fuckwit pestilence: nuke ourselves.

#8 Posted by HatKing (6056 posts) -

The internet is falling apart!  

#9 Posted by N7 (3657 posts) -

And the sooner these assholes get caught and made an example of, the better.

Seriously. Fuck these guys.

#10 Posted by Mento (2730 posts) -

Did all these places hire Fisher Stevens for their computer security or something?

#11 Posted by Scooper (7881 posts) -

"Owned by Chippy1337"

Fo' real? It's 2005?
#12 Edited by BongChilla (230 posts) -

The irony of the company that makes Deus Ex getting hacked is too much for me...

Ha, just saw the caption..
#13 Posted by WillyLo (302 posts) -

Pretty much over all this hacking shit.

#14 Posted by Napalm (9020 posts) -

Why can't they hack a website that makes bad games? Why do they have to go after the good ones? Fucking hell, man.

#15 Posted by MisterMouse (3563 posts) -

the world is falling apart....

#16 Posted by Burn1n9m4n (261 posts) -

Hackers should just make their own console with homebrew channels. That would stop them from fucking with everyone else's shit!

#17 Posted by Branthog (5592 posts) -

If they value security so much, WHY ARE THEY STORING RESUMES ON A FUCKING PUBLIC FACING WEB SERVER?

#18 Posted by Garfield518 (405 posts) -

Leaving behind a username is probably the worst possible thing a hacker can do for themselves.

I mean, Chippy1337 even has a 360 gamertag that he plays with frequently, and I doubt he uses any sort of proxy with that.

#19 Posted by MikkaQ (10326 posts) -

Man it pains me to see hackers still say things like 1337 and owned. I thought we got past this when everyone it pertains to grew up, and the younger generation left to find their own bullshit nonsense computer lingo to abuse.

Also, why is everything being hacked suddenly? Maybe school's out, and the kids are bored.
#20 Posted by TEHMAXXORZ (1199 posts) -

Meh. Hackers will hack. A bit like haters will hate...

#21 Posted by Kyreo (4600 posts) -

And Anonymous was to blame.

#22 Posted by wolf_blitzer85 (5288 posts) -

Man why do assholes have to go out and ruin the internet for people? Oh wait...that is the internet.

#23 Posted by Thoseposers (789 posts) -

You can also read deusex.com as deu sex.com

#24 Posted by swamplord666 (1763 posts) -

you know what? I think it's come to the point where we need to stop giving attention to these hackers. stop reporting news of websites getting hacked. obviously this is just a hacker wanting recognition

#25 Posted by Cold_Wolven (2286 posts) -

Oh how I am so getting sick and tired of all these hackers practically destroying whatever they like and yet don't caught and punished. Is it so impossible to trace the origins of a hack? 

#26 Posted by Nicholas (410 posts) -
@Abyssfull said:
" This is getting ridiculous. Hackers are bloody everywhere and hacking everything, and there's only one sure way to rid ourselves of this fuckwit pestilence: nuke ourselves. "
I LOL'D.
#27 Posted by Xpgamer7 (2393 posts) -

Attack of the Hacks.

#28 Posted by pekoe212 (458 posts) -
@Mento said:
" Did all these places hire Fisher Stevens for their computer security or something? "
As angry as I get at hackers screwing things up, a "Hackers" reference always makes me laugh. Partially because I can imagine these jerks thinking they are actually living that movie.
#29 Posted by TheChaos (1158 posts) -

I got 99 problems but a hacker ain't one.

#30 Posted by Th3_Th0rn (15 posts) -
@wolf_blitzer85 said:
" Man why do assholes have to go out and ruin the internet for people? Oh wait...that is the internet. "
This.

Also, stop it hackers. Not cool :(
#31 Posted by PrivateIronTFU (3874 posts) -

Hey hackers! Get a fucking job.

#32 Posted by jking47 (1242 posts) -

As has been foretold, the internet apocalypse cometh.

#33 Posted by JEC03 (919 posts) -

That movie Hackers is starting to become real dudes.

#34 Posted by TheHT (11661 posts) -

Perfect time for them to strike, while everyone's focused on the PSN hack in the wake of the server troubles. No one would bat an eyelash if one more was compromised. The perfect chance for them to make their move. The conspiracy continues. Deus Ex.

08*23*11

#35 Posted by 234r2we232 (3181 posts) -
@swamplord666 said:
" you know what? I think it's come to the point where we need to stop giving attention to these hackers. stop reporting news of websites getting hacked. obviously this is just a hacker wanting recognition "
It's the same as any kind of terrorism. Part of the expectation and reward is getting that publicity afterwards. You can thank the recent media coverage of the PSN hack for a resurgence of the "hacker celebrity". All aspiring to be the next "geohot"... kinda sad.

I blame the hackers and the media. But mostly the hackers. Those guys need to get lives.
#36 Posted by Roasted (70 posts) -

Useless information means shitty security.

#37 Edited by I_smell (3924 posts) -

Why hack a promotional website for a game that NOBODY has beef with?

What a fuckin idiot jerk, whoever's idea this was.
Also yes, pretty ironic that Deus Ex gets hacked.

#38 Posted by zombie_bigdaddy (131 posts) -
@Branthog said:
" If they value security so much, WHY ARE THEY STORING RESUMES ON A FUCKING PUBLIC FACING WEB SERVER? "
because they mean that they value security NOW, after they got hacked  ;D
#39 Posted by karatetron (692 posts) -

Those goddamned Internet hacker gangs...

#40 Posted by Vodun (2370 posts) -
@PrivateIronTFU said:
" Hey hackers! Get a fucking job. "
They often do...at the companies they hack as security experts =P
#41 Posted by GoofyGoober (937 posts) -
@Scooper: That name just oozes dbag. 
#42 Posted by mbr (43 posts) -

PR tricks is a lost art. I want to congratulate the people behind this, got a lot more exposure for the game for sure.

#43 Posted by pingolobo (98 posts) -
@TheChaos said:
"
                I got 99 problems but a hacker ain't one.
            "

If you already have 99, you should jusf as as well add 1 more.  Hackers can be a really bad thing.
#44 Posted by FritzDude (2279 posts) -

Can the good hackers take care of this please?

#45 Posted by twillfast (573 posts) -
@FritzDude said:
"

Can the good hackers take care of this please?

"
Actually, can we call Batman?
#46 Posted by Hailinel (25201 posts) -
@mbr said:
" PR tricks is a lost art. I want to congratulate the people behind this, got a lot more exposure for the game for sure. "
You're insane.  Stealing corporate e-mails isn't a way to get exposure for a game.
#47 Posted by Xsheps (114 posts) -

I am going to laugh so hard when this happens to facebook.

#48 Posted by Example1013 (4834 posts) -
@pingolobo: Please tell me the reference wasn't lost on you.

#49 Posted by Green_Incarnate (1791 posts) -
@XII_Sniper said:
" Man it pains me to see hackers still say things like 1337 and owned. I thought we got past this when everyone it pertains to grew up, and the younger generation left to find their own bullshit nonsense computer lingo to abuse.

Also, why is everything being hacked suddenly? Maybe school's out, and the kids are bored.
"
I went to a cyber defense competition a year ago just to get owned by professional hackers. Leet speak was rampant, and they hacked us using a bunch of  Rick Astley and Chocolate Rain vids. 
#50 Posted by kerse (2118 posts) -

Really? After PSN was hacked all these other companies decided not to look at their own security?

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.